Unreleased in Vault

Simijacksonfan

Proud Member
With a huge amount of unreleased material in the vault, as we all know, why has Michael ended up leaving a fairly limited amount of music with his full voice🤔

Last edited:
MJ often didn't record coherent vocals until a song was much further along, but he did it a lot more frequently earlier on than in his final years. Hold My Hand with Akon leaked in 2007 and MJ was affected by this a lot, so he reportedly decided to no longer put any vocals on songs until he was happy they could be heard, that's why the final sessions are mostly without vocals.

If we're speaking generally though I'd say it's just how he worked, if a song didn't get a lot of work done on it then it's unlikely to have much vocals.

Warum hat Michael bei all seinem unveröffentlichten Material eine so begrenzte Anzahl von Songs mit seiner vollen Stimme hinterlassen?🤔
most songs are not fully recorded with good vocals (non-mumble) before they are scrapped.

Note that right after his death, it was reported that members of the Jackson family searched the singer's personal archives/vaults and they took many of his unreleased songs.

These songs were in various stages of completion, and apparently there were also many (vocally) finished songs that they wanted to keep for themselves, rather than giving them to the Estate/Sony Music.

Also, Sony Music's top executive John Doelp stated that a (vocally) finished song does not necessarily mean that it should get a release.

John Doelp stressed that a song has also to be commercially viable in order to get a release, which implies that Michael Jackson's vault (with vocally finished songs) may not be as empty as it appears to be.

It is interesting, for example, that the 'BAD' album recording sessions generated more than 60 (vocally) finished tracks.

Or, the 'Dangerous' album recording sessions which reportedly generated more than 70 (vocally) finished tracks.

Also, Sony Music's top executive John Doelp stated that a (vocally) finished song does not necessarily mean that it should get a release.

John Doelp stressed that a song has also to be commercially viable in order to get a release, which implies that Michael Jackson's vault (with vocally finished songs) may not be as empty as it appears to be.
I imagine you took this information from the papers detailing the MJ Estate vs IRS legal battle. In the same papers, it is clearly written that:

“There were only 2 completed and unreleased recordings and approximately 25-30 full vocals with some music. The Estate has confirmed a total of 83 songs, fragments of lyrics, tunes, and vocals that were unreleased at the time of Jackson’s death.”
It is interesting, for example, that the 'BAD' album recording sessions generated more than 60 (vocally) finished tracks.
False.
Or, the 'Dangerous' album recording sessions which reportedly generated more than 70 (vocally) finished tracks.
Again, false. You must not understand what a vocally finished track is. If there are even close to 70 song ideas which were vocally recorded in some capacity during these sessions, IF, then many of them would have scratch vocals at best.

I imagine you took this information from the papers detailing the MJ Estate vs IRS legal battle. In the same papers, it is clearly written that:

“There were only 2 completed and unreleased recordings and approximately 25-30 full vocals with some music. The Estate has confirmed a total of 83 songs, fragments of lyrics, tunes, and vocals that were unreleased at the time of Jackson’s death.”

False.

Again, false. You must not understand what a vocally finished track is. If there are even close to 70 song ideas which were vocally recorded in some capacity during these sessions, IF, then many of them would have scratch vocals at best.
This dude basically summed up everything I was about to say, they're correct.

Beachten Sie, dass direkt nach seinem Tod berichtet wurde, dass Mitglieder der Jackson-Familie die persönlichen Archive/Tresore des Sängers durchsuchten und viele seiner unveröffentlichten Songs nahmen.

Diese Songs enthalten sich in verschiedenen Stadien der Fertigstellung, und offensichtlich gab es auch viele (vokal) fertige Songs, die sie fĂĽr sich behalten wollten, anstatt sie dem Estate/Sony Music zu ĂĽberlassen.

Auch der Top-Manager von Sony Music, John Doelp, erklärte, dass ein (vokal) fertiger Song nicht unbedingt bedeutet, dass er veröffentlicht werden sollte.

John Doelp betonte, dass ein Song auch kommerziell vermietbar sein muss, um veröffentlicht zu werden, was impliziert wurde, dass Michael Jacksons Tresor (mit stimmlich fertigen Songs) möglicherweise nicht so leer ist, wie es scheint.

Interessant ist zum Beispiel, dass die Aufnahmesessions für das „BAD“-Album mehr als 60 (vokal) fertige Tracks hervorgebracht haben.

Oder die Aufnahmesitzungen für das Album „Dangerous“, die Berichte voraussichtlich mehr als 70 (vokal) fertige Tracks hervorbrachten.
Are there any sources that prove members of the jackson family took unreleased songs and didn't give them to the estate what sense would that make or rather what does a family member do with those songs if only the estate has the right to release them

Are there any sources that prove members of the jackson family took unreleased songs and didn't give them to the estate what sense would that make or rather what does a family member do with those songs if only the estate has the right to release them
For example, Frank DiLeo stated that La Toya Jackson took Michael Jackson's computer hard drives that contained many of his unreleased songs.

These unreleased songs included also songs that he worked on in his final years (such as with Ne-Yo, Akon, or even with will.i.am).

will.i.am appeared to be frustrated with that situation at that time, because as he said he did not have any copies of these songs that he worked on with Michael Jackson.

It is also interesting that many of these unreleased songs (from those computer hard drives) also belong to the 'BAD' album recording sessions which was a period when Michael Jackson recorded and he vocally finished many outtakes.

About Michael Jackson's vault in relation to future releases, British music executive Amanda Ghost (the then-president of Epic Records) also noted that his unreleased songs are going to get a release in the following years only if they are fantastic.

Amanda Ghost's statement implies of course that many (vocally finished) unreleased songs may still exist in his vault.

Also, Tito Jackson hinted (in 2021) that there is still a lot of unheard (and vocally finished) music from Michael Jackson in the vault.

Getting a release 'only if their fantastic' implies that there's a lot of stuff that can't be released because it's not up to standard.

As a statement it has no bearing on the number of songs available, it only speaks to the desired quality.

Eine Veröffentlichung zu bekommen, „nur wenn sie fantastisch sind“, impliziert, dass es eine Menge Sachen gibt, die nicht veröffentlicht werden können, weil sie nicht dem Standard entsprechen.

Als Aussage hat es keinen Einfluss auf die Anzahl der verfügbaren Songs, es spricht nur für die gewünschte Qualität.
well if these songs don't make the cut for the general public yet you have to do it like with the Xscupe album the estate can get producers again who have worked with michael jackson for many years to give these songs a new polish and everyone is happy with it are you able to re-add the original to the new edit a deluxe edition i hope we get a chance to hear you when it's in the vault

the estate can get producers again who have worked with michael jackson for many years to give these songs a new polish and everyone is happy with it are you able to re-add the original to the new edit a deluxe edition i hope we get a chance to hear you when it's in the vault
If the vocals are bad there's no remix that can fix it. If there's a song that the Estate doesn't think it's good enough our best bet in listening to it is if it's included on an anniversary album.

Wenn der Gesang schlecht ist, gibt es keinen Remix, der das beheben kann. Wenn es einen Song gibt, den das Estate nicht für gut genug hält, hören wir ihn uns am besten an, wenn er auf einem Jubiläumsalbum enthalten ist.
und das ist genau das porplem was der Nachlass für gut genug hält es könnte wirklich alle Fans auf der ganzen Welt erfreuen und dann wird es nicht veröffentlicht nur weil der Nachlass es für nicht gut genug hält ich sehe es sehr kritisch die Fans sollten das beurteilen und das langjährigen Produzenten, wenn die Songs gut genug sind, und um herauszufinden, dass man mit diesen Songs einfach Seminare machen könnte, wäre es schade, wenn uns Fans die Songs sehr gefallen würden, wir sie aber nicht zu hören bekommen, weil der Nachlass es nicht gut findet genügend

I don't know who got hold of the complete songs from the vault, but when I listen to Tito's "One Way Street" I have the impression to hear something Mike could have been involved in. In any case it has this Jackson(s) blueprint all over it. Love the song.

Back