Was Leave Me Alone's music video inspired by Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel?

Likely. They also met at an award show in 1988 so maybe they talked a bit about sledgehammer and it inspired entertainer Michael Jackson

Same director too right?

BTW, both videos might be equally famous, I remember that Peter Gabriel video playing on MTV all the damn day

I think Speed Demon was more influenced by Sledgehammer, if I'm honest. But I can see what you mean

I always thought Leave Me Alone's video was inspired by Gulliver's Travels and Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom, the mine car sequence at the end of the film.

I think Speed Demon was more influenced by Sledgehammer, if I'm honest. But I can see what you mean

I always thought Leave Me Alone's video was inspired by Gulliver's Travels and Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom, the mine car sequence at the end of the film.
Especially this, imo.

Jim Blashfield for LMA.
The 'Leave Me Alone' music video was directed by Jim Blashfield and Paul Diener.

Jim Blashfield was involved in the animation aspect of it, while Paul Diener was involved in the other aspects of it.

The 'Leave Me Alone' music video was heavily influenced by Charles Dickens' work, and also by Gulliver's Travels (the Gulliver Scene towards the end of that music video, as confirmed by the Michael Jackson official website).

No, not at all really.

I've spoken to Jim Blashfield, the director, a couple of times. Leave Me Alone is a natural evolution of his work that exists prior to Sledgehammer. Blashfield worked with cut-out animation blended with live action footage, whilst Sledgehammer is shot entirely in stop motion.

If you're interested, check out Blashfield's 'Suspicious Circumstances' and his short film for Talking Heads' 'And She Was'. Both films are from before Sledgehammer.

Back