Was the Invincible album cover inspired by Phil Collin's Face Value album cover?

analogue

Proud Member
It could be a coincidence but I can see the similararies

Invincible
OS0yOTYyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Face Value
LmpwZWc.jpeg

The 'Invincible' album front cover is known to have been inspired by Albert Watson's The Golden Boy photo.

In any case, it is very common for an album front cover to have a close-up photograph of the artist's face.

For example, the front cover of the 'Three' album (1972) by English musician Jackie Lomax is also one of these.

Britney in 2003 and Usher in 2004
There are literally countless such album front covers.

At least, the official version of the 'Invincible' album front cover is better than those allegedly original ones that were made public by Omer Bhatti some time ago.

As others have said, it was inspired by Albert Watson's "Golden Boy" photograph. Watson was also the person who took the photograph of MJ that would become Invincible's cover. MJ was painted entirely in gold as the boy was in the "Golden Boy" photograph, but Sony photoshopped it in all white, giving us the cover as we know it today.

Personally, I think it should have been in gray/black.

Gold is corny lol. I can't shake off the feeling that if they went with the original cover and people knew what it was inspired by, there would be bad controversy given MJ's history. That's probably why Sony changed it.

Anyway, the photograph that inspired Invincible's cover:
hmraLhK.jpg

The original cover photograph for Invincible:
8Ml09TZ.png

How it probably would have been photoshopped if the concept of MJ being painted in gold was kept:
k3n7s0Y.jpg

In gray (better imho):
yxZAlJM.jpg

Last edited:
His inspiration tells me he wanted to stay young.
And didn't Michael say he was Josephs golden child?
Though it didn’t please Michael Jackson, as he once confessed that as an adult, he was afraid of his father. “I don’t know if I was his golden child or whatever it was, he said, adding “Some may call him a strict disciplinarian or whatever, but he was very strict. He was very hard. Just a look would scare … but I do forgive him,” the late pop star said in an interview.

Last edited:
Back