What are your top 10 Michael tracks that didn't appear on a studio album?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
And obviously I mean upon initial release (not sure if leave me alone counts).
Also my thread so my rules all songs released after Michael's passing count (I do not consider Michael or Xscape as studio albums) The 5 new songs on blood on the dance floor also count as that is also no studio album. All leaks (including demo's) that haven't had a release yet count as well. Motown outtakes obviously count as well

1. Carousel
- Undoubtedly has that thriller album vibe with the great laid back guitar sound.
2. We're here to entertain you
- Not sure if this was for a solo album or a jackson 5 album but considering the brothers share a lot of vocals it is probably the latter (you can find it on the "hello world" compilation
3. Streetwalker
- This has the bad album vibe, great gritty vocals in the fantastic chorus, very danceable track. Some prefer the demo but the demo misses this great chorus...
4. someone in the dark
- the ET song, if Spielberg had used this it would be one of Michael's instantly recognizable songs, bittersweet and top vocals with a fantastic chorus
5. To make my father proud
- I don't know much abut this or for what (motown) album it was recorded, absolutely love the ending and the children's choir in the middle as well as the acoustic guitar lick
6. Got the hots
- Superb dance track with a killer chorus
7. someone put your hand out
- awesome falsetto vocals, love the jazzy sound and that horn (what instrument exactly is it?) solo
8. scared of the moon
- very haunting song, I guess it wasn't really meant for any album in particular, always get goosebumps, maybe a bit autobiographical?
9. Buttercup
- another motown track, penned by his genius friend Stevie Wonder, great production. Always wished there was truth in a Wonder produced Jackson album
10. I'm so blue
- love the harmonica and as always the vocals, they're divine. Maybe a sad song but it has the opposite effect on me.

Honorable mentions:
Hollywood tonight (demo), morphine, is it scary, ghosts, blood on the dance floor, she got it, monkey business, fall again, sunset driver, blue gangsta, chicago, we've had enough

Pretty f****** hard to make it just a top 10 but in life we need challenges :p

"To Make My Father Proud" was first released on album "Farewell My Summer Love" (1984 mix). The whole album was recorded in 1973, they cancelled it, I think because they didn't want it out at same time as Dancing Machine which was getting a big success. Personally I feel like this album is slow and a bit "empty" (depending on current mood) though last track (TMMFP) has really great vocals , though. Both the 1984 and 1973 mixes of the album can be found in the "Hello World" set. So it's technically an album tracks.

"We're Here To Entertain You" is from compilation "Joyful Jukebox Music" that Motown released just after the J5 left the company. The song on this compilation were all unreleased and fit so well together that it's easy to consider it as the last J5 album, though it's made of songs from previous albums recording session.

thanks for the info @Maxym
but they way I see it they are not released and advertised as a studio album so they are essentially tracks from the vaults. FMSL was a shelved album

Throwing your life away
Cheater
Behind the mask (original version)
Hot street
Nite line
Streetwalker
Someone in the dark
Family things
faces (if completed)
ghost of another love

Note:
Ultimate Collection is no real studio album imo. thats why you find a few songs of the release in my list

In no particular order

Streetwalker
We've Had Enough
Sunset Driver
Cheater
Hot Street
Free
Abortion Papers
Al Capone
Someone Put Your Hand Out
For All Time

1. Sunset Driver - Has that perfect late 70s disco vibes
2. Carousel
3. Behind The Mask - A banger that would fit perfectly on the Thriller album.
4. Don’t Be Messing Around - This song is so funky and I have always felt that Michael and Stevie should have collaborated on this song, instead of the very average Just Good Friends.
5. Don’t Know Where You Children Are -
6. She Got It
7. Morphine - One of Michael’s best songs in terms of lyrics, and the dark theme and aggressive vocal delivery would have fitted perfectly on history.
8. Ghosts - Again a perfect fit on History
9. We’ve Had Enough - Michael’s best song to come out in the 21st century. Should have been Invincible’s peace anthem instead of Cry.
10. Xscape - Should have been the title track of the Invincible album, instead of the Invincible song, which is a horrible song.

Back