What finished outtakes could have taken "Come Together"'s place on History

I really dont like come together, even as a Beatles song.

Of all the songs MJ could have covered, he did this. Imagine MJ singing strawberry fields forever or hey jude
personally, I would've loved to hear him sing Lucy In The Sky with Diamonds. his vocals would've been absolutely ethereal on his rendition!

On The Line was supposed to be on "Get on the Bus". And is also way too happy for Blood. Maybe it would work if Invincible came in 99. If it came on both then people would be saying they should've used a different song on Invincible.

And Come Together isn't a greatest hit. It's barely in the top 40 of MJs catalogue, even being on HIStory, on Tour, on Remember The Time and on Moonwalker. Nobody actually rates it that highly even. A bit ironic cause it's got a great organic groove.
What I have noticed it that a lot of people outside of the community, the general audience, think this is the best cover of that song. Whenever come together is covered I always see people refer back to MJ’s version.

It’s just a fantastic track. It’s groovey, funky,gritty has a hard edge, rock n roll and has that magical 80s production.

The 5 unreleased songs on BOTDF all followed a thematic concept, or so it seems to us.
Only "Ghosts" and "Is It Scary" have the same theme, which is occult stuff.

"Blood on the Dance Floor" is about AIDS a female killer.
"Morphine" is about drugs.
"Superfly Sister" is about being a prude. Not Latoya like some people think. The only reason it's on the album is because "In the Back" was taking too long to finish.

You could lump "Morphine" with "Ghosts" and "Is It Scary" as it's about MJ dealing with his personal struggles, but so is "On the Line".

Since On The Line was unreleased and was not a remix it would not have fit with the overall direction.
All of the five original songs were unreleased before being included on the album. "On the Line" was recorded in 1996 and released as a promo single in 1997, the same time the album came out, so it'd fit.

Only "Ghosts" and "Is It Scary" have the same theme, which is occult stuff.

"Blood on the Dance Floor" is about AIDS a female killer.
"Morphine" is about drugs.
"Superfly Sister" is about being a prude. Not Latoya like some people think. The only reason it's on the album is because "In the Back" was taking too long to finish.

You could lump "Morphine" with "Ghosts" and "Is It Scary" as it's about MJ dealing with his personal struggles, but so is "On the Line".

All of the five original songs were unreleased before being included on the album. "On the Line" was recorded in 1996 and released as a promo single in 1997, the same time the album came out, so it'd fit.
So you really struggle to see how On The Line would have been out of place with those songs? There is an overarching theme that runs through these songs if you look at them as a whole not just individual components. It’s a dark, melancholic album (first five songs) for lack of a better word, that deals with the darker aspects of life and human emotions. On The line would have stuck out as a sore thumb. It wouldn’t fit.

Yeah there were many songs that could have replaced "Come Together" like "Streetwalker" (Bill Bottrell 1988 mix), Do You Know Where Your Children Are (1990 rework with Slash), but I think Michael wanted something that was an outtake at the time that had hard vocals and a beat, and found "Come Together". "Come Together" also needed an album release, because it's only presence was in "Moonwalker".
Dangerous would've been a better fit

Back