what happened to the compilation that michael jackson was going to publish in 1999?

mjjking345

Proud Member
hello everyone, i wanted to ask what happened to the compilation that mj was going to publish in 1999, was there a planned release date?, what was the tracklist?, i just remember that the songs do you love me and angel were considered. I would appreciate your answers.

It has always boogled me that/if MJ wanted to release a compilation/Greatest hist - just 4 years after the greatest hits album HIStory was released.

It has been said that Michael Jackson started working on this compilation album in 1998.

Also, this compilation album was allegedly called 'Millennium' (in conjunction with his two Millennium concerts in Hawaii and Sydney).

Michael Jackson gave the 'Millennium' title to it, just like he did with his 'Decade' compilation album in the late '80s/early '90s.

'Doing Dirty', 'Angel', 'The World Is No Church', were allegedly some of the new songs on the 'Millennium' album.

The singer collaborated also with other artists (including Babyface) on that compilation album.

But all this information regarding this compilation album appears to be rather odd, because:

Firstly, Michael Jackson himself never publicly spoke about it.

Secondly, he had evidently started working on his 'Invincible' album in 1997 (October), and considering how important that studio album was for him, it was quite impossible that he was also working on a compilation album at the same time.

This is a common misconception it seems, although it was considered for a while for Blood On The Dance Floor Michael was never going to publish a second compilation album, the book Making Michael goes into details:
Michael had considered following HIStory with a sequel album, HIStory Book II which engineer Rob Hoffman said would have followed a similar format, with both new songs and greatest hits. "It would have included more old hits because there were songs such as 'Human Nature', 'Dirty Diana', 'Smooth Criminal' and 'Dangerous' that weren't on part one, and then there were the big songs from HIStory, like 'You Are Not Alone' and 'Earth Song', that they were going to add.

But recording a whole new album at this stage would have been time consuming, and Michael was interested in a shorter project. "The HIStory Book II concept was talked about but never that big of an idea in Michael's mind," Brad Buxer said. "Michael's desire was for an album with a limited amount of new tracks and one that wouldn't be that complicated or take that long to do."

'Doing Dirty', 'Angel', 'The World Is No Church', were allegedly some of the new songs on the 'Millennium' album.
I'm not sure about The World Is No Church but at least the first song is fake. Doing Dirty was made in 1982.

Back