What is "seeing voices" all about?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I've known it for years now but it's such an oddity in Michael's recording history. Why and when was this recorded, for which project? What is it about?
I like the song but it doesn't seem finished yet especially vocally it seems a bit bland. Anyway I do like it when Michael made some atypical music.

I don't have time to check details so may get some wrong but as I remember it, is was written by a classical composer about a book title "Seeing voices" which is about sign language (for deaf people). It was played to the audience at some event involving the composer, there a video of it somewhere, but Michael wasn't there. I don't think he actually ever planned to release it, as far as I know.

Wasn't it something with Ray Charles?

'Seeing Voices' was a tribute to Peter (son of composer Sidney Fine) who died in 1975 of a rare brain disease (that disease caused Peter also to lose his hearing).

Ray Charles was involved in the making of the song, he co-wrote it and he also provided backing vocals on the song's choir.

Michael Jackson intended to include it on his 'Invincible' album, but the song was left out apparently because it did not fit the album's overall theme (besides, the album's tough title could not contain a Disney-esque song).

'Seeing Voices' was finished in 2000 (April).

In a sense, 'Seeing Voices' was related to the singer's comeback 'This Is It' London concerts.

Michael Jackson wanted a choir full of sign language children from a variety of ethnic backgrounds to be with him on stage, and he sent that request to AEG Live.

Back