What MJ albums do you like more than Invincible? What MJ songs do you like more than Invincible songs? Discuss.

And a low-effort one at that.

This is how I see the albums:

God tier: Thriller, Dangerous
A grade: BAD. Off The Wall
B grade: HIStory
C grade: BOTDF, Invincible

My first album was Dangerous, then HIStory. But Invincible made me buy every album with Michael since the Steeltown Sessions. It can't be that bad, I guess.

Invincible reminded me that Michael existed after a few years in the wilderness. In 2001, I can't say his music crossed my mind a lot. I was getting into hip hop music and whatever was charting at the time, and while Michael did release music just a few years earlier (The HIStory remix was actually a bit of a hit in Australia, as was BOTDF), he'd fallen mostly out of view.

It was more the 30th anniversary special that did it for me, and not even Michael's performance there, but the montage of his past performances and everything he had done. it reminded me just how big Michael was to me in my childhood. When Michael dropped Invincible, some DVDs also released for HIStory and the Dangerous short films. It was a time of rediscovery.

I remember I bought Invincible on cassette tape. I thought the cover with the digitized eye was interesting. It was a welcome change to hear new Michael Jackson music again and I tried to push it onto anyone I could. But objectively it just wasn't a great album. I think there are a lot of reasons for that, including Sony pushing him to release it early and Michael apparently handing the reigns over to others. But regardless, Invincible had a bit of an era like his other albums did, and was the starting point for many fans who have their own memories of the music. For someone else, my Dangerous is their Invincible so it is what it is.

Back