What songs could have made great concert openers/closers

analogue

Proud Member
At every MJ shows Michael usually started with WBSS or the 1st track from the new album he was promoting at the time (Jam/Scream) and with the exception of the HIStory Tour he would always end a show with Man In The Mirror. But what songs do you think could have been great concert openers/closers that were never done.

Songs that could have made great openers:
1. Unbreakable - This is probably one of the most obvious ones and probably would have been the opening song for the Invincible Tour if there was one.
2. Another Part Of Me - The build up could have been awesome. Synths start off quiet and get louder and louder until the stage lights come on, the song fully starts and the show begins

Songs that could have made great closers:
1. Keep The Faith - A very obvious one with a similar atmosphere to Man In The Mirror
2. Music And Me - Going old school with this one. The show ends with Michael coming out, sitting on a stool (If he can manage to keep still that is) and sings this song. Might be too anti-climactic for a Michael Jackson concert though

So nice you mention Music & Me... I always dreamed of an unplugged concert, with Michael singing Music & Me at the beginning... sitting on a barstool, very simple performance, focused on his vocal performance... that would have been a lovely opener! Not for a stadium concert, but for a more intimate theater setting.

With the HIStory Tour (I saw it live twice) I really liked the opening, with the animated movie at the start, and then the rocket bursting through the stage. But I never really liked Scream as the opening song. I did like They Don't Care About Us straight after it, that could have been the opening song for me. Or an odd choice like This Time Around, that would have been nice too. The thing with Scream is that it is a duet, and doing it solo feels a bit off to me. But may be that's just me.

Good suggestions mate, especially Another Part Of Me

As an opener, Bad
I think it would have worked well, particularly the Dangerous Tour rehearsals version, with the big build up.

As a closer, Human Nature
I love where it is in all the set lists, but I always imagine what it would have been like if it closed a show as encore. Gets the crowd involved, ends on a high note (literally) and if it had the cool Dangerous Tour ending were Mike disappears into the light, that would have been a great way to end the show

As an opener: In The closet
The intro has a nice build-up imo

As a closer Give In To Me
It has a nice simmering ending

As an encore Leave Me Alone
I can picture the whole stadium singing along

I always envisioned Billie Jean as the set closer. Everybody is waiting for that song and the way it ends with Michael throwing his hat and lights out is a fitting closing.
Another good ending song would have been smile to end with positivity, it should not always be bombastic. Maybe it would be the ultimate ending song as an “encore” after Billie Jean.

Set openers maybe the way you make me feel sounds something the crowd would respond very positive too, also black or white comes to mind. Another good one would have been don’t stop till you get enough or even rock with you

I dunno. I'd start with Billie Jean. Could just have the stage in darkness and the opening bar just loops for much longer that usual. Then eventually he walks in from the side under a single spotlight.

Or Ain't No Sunshine, that would have been great to have the spoken intro booming in.

But really, I think he picked the best songs in WBSS and Jam.

Could end with Keep the Faith, Gone So Soon or Will You Be There.

Music And Me - Going old school with this one. The show ends with Michael coming out, sitting on a stool (If he can manage to keep still that is) and sings this song. Might be too anti-climactic for a Michael Jackson concert though
Was actually the opening song to Thriller Live...

(In very various flavours and somewhat experimental) (<-- I had to restrain myself from going too deep into the 70s/Motown catalog)
Opener ideas: Speechless, Can't Let Her Get Away, DSTYGE, We Are Here To Change The World, I Wanna Be Where You Are, Enjoy Yourself, Hum Along And Dance
Closer ideas: Someone In The Dark (opening version, though), Smile, I Can't Help It, Blues Away, Make Tonight All Mine
Opener or closer: The Eternal Light.

Back