What songs do you find special? / What do you like about his music?

N.I.O.47

Proud Member
This one's for a change, recently I've felt like quite a few threads end up becoming people saying and talking for a looong time about what they don't like in some parts of his carrier, and that's fine and all--maybe even expected for a forum--but to me (and only personally) it's just a bit tiresome to see at times, because of that I tend to avoid or skip some posts even if I hols nothing against the people that made them, and all in all it's frequency in this part of the forum may just be me, but even if that's the case I thought it would be nice to just have a thread to say what you like most in the most important part of his work: his music.

I only would want anyone to respond to these two questions: 1. What song or songs do you find the most special, how much they click or stick with you and in what way (and even if it's just a song you like it's still fine to say so). And 2. What do you specifically like about his music, that be things like his voice/the production or more vague/intricate stuff like a certain similarity in how some of his songs feel that you may like.
If someone says they like something you don't or vice versa let them be and either continue what you were doing or answer the questions yourself, I would like this thread to hold off the arguing over opinions and the such, even if it's for just a set amount of time.

As for how I would answer those two questions, I'd say that Best of Joy/The Toy, Who Do You Know, I Am A Loser, and Days in Gloucestershire are among, if not my favorite tracks of his, as they all have this relaxed and mostly feel-good vibe that makes me really feel the emotions they convey more than a lot of songs I've listened. And as for the second question, I think what I like the most about his work is the creativity that it all ended up getting, it is all so diverse but with it's own style (without even bringing up how spectacular the production and composition tends to be) that makes it completely different from almost any other solo artist I've heard, and each song when you haven't heard it yet feels like it's own gift/suprise where I know I'm getting something uniquely good.

Well, that should be it. Answer if you want.

I'll start off with the immediate shout out go Stranger in Moscow. An immaculate, pristine song that is completely entrancing from start to finish. It's like he tied the bea,t of his heart, the essence of his soul, to music. Easily one of his best songs, one of the best ever maybe.

And then, in the exact same breath, Billie Jean, just as immaculate, in nearly the exact opposite way. Every element of it is iconic. It is the perfect, most timeless, song, while also being entirely 80s and not being able to be conceived of at any other time by anyone other than a hungry, ready to burst at the seams 24 years young Michael Jackson, who could've already retired by this age and still gone down as one of the most notable of any era. And then decided to just slamdunk devote himself fully to music and changing the game. This society will never be the same.

To me the mot special song is Bad. Because it is the first ever song that I listened form Michael. And for the second question, I find his music special because whenever I listen to his music I feel this peace in my soul. You see, when I get scared or anxious I feel this pain or tightening feeling in my chest and it is when I feel most fragile. I can cry super easily and I don't wanna eat but I listen to Michael all of that goes away. I even forget why I was scared in the first place! (btw, Michael is the OLNY artist that can help me like that! trust me I've tried other artists. they don't work)

Someone in the dark

I am a very emotional person, sometimes words or actions seem to strike me harder than necessary. This song does that to me, it touches me deeply through the delivery of the words and the meaningfulness of the lyrics. It’s a comfort song written to console lonely people or misunderstood people and the lyrics portray that beautifully. Lyrically I feel kinship with the song because I too often feel alienated from other people, or lonely so to speak.

The words in itself are nothing if not for the delivery of the vocals, In my opinion Michael is the most emotional singer out there, he isn’t just interpreting the lyrics, he feels them right to his core, at least that’s what it seems like to me.
I think Michael when presented with this song immediately knew how to deliver the lines. He sings them in a hushed kind of way, soft and warm. It feels like he isn’t singing into the mic but directly into my ear from up close, he is right behind me watching my back in hard times. He wanted to be that special friend for those in need, very close, very calming and reassuring, the way he sings it perfectly makes sense in regards to the delicate lyrics. This came from him, he knows how to sing the song to reach the goal the lyrics had in mind. That is his genius. This reminds me of the thread @ChanceToDance made recently about songs nobody else but Michael can sing. Well SITD is that song. The emotion he is able to put into the words make the difference. It is not about vocal reach but about feeling.

Since I am this emotional being I sometimes can’t help to just well up when I hear this song because I envision all kinds of images during the length of the song. It is as if I am creating my own narrative through his words, a narrative that has only meaning to myself. I mean I close my eyes and try to get sucked into the performance and with this song it happens very easily.
Other than how personal I make it, it also completely works in regards to the E.T. This song was not released as a single because it definitely would have hampered the sales of thriller and its singles. The executives knew this was gold. Sadly because of this not many people know of its existence which is a shame because I am 100% sure if could be as heartwarming for thousands of other people like it is for me.

Back