What was the staging of the O2 performance going to be like?

Mister_Jay_Tee

Proud Member
Donations
$1.00
In music appreciation class, I'm to draw a concert stage and to visualize a performance. It's a whole thing.

But I've decided to base it in part on the O2 area, and by extension, the This Is It shows. So I'm wondering in part, how was it set to be? What it would have looked like?

We see the type of set pieces to be used at points, but the rehearsal stages (Staples Center/Forum) are both more traditional concert stages, vs the more, stadium area look of the O2. So how would it have translated?

In music appreciation class, I'm to draw a concert stage and to visualize a performance. It's a whole thing.

But I've decided to base it in part on the O2 area, and by extension, the This Is It shows. So I'm wondering in part, how was it set to be? What it would have looked like?

We see the type of set pieces to be used at points, but the rehearsal stages (Staples Center/Forum) are both more traditional concert stages, vs the more, stadium area look of the O2. So how would it have translated?
I don't see how we can know. Although I'm not sure what you mean about the 02 looking more like a stadium. It's too small for that. Madonna's 02 show involved multiple stages, apparently, although I haven't looked at any of the footage so I don't know if they were on different levels.

I don't see how the 02 stage for TII could have been massively different than the rehearsal venues they used. It would be far too difficult, surely, to make a big adjustment so late in the process. They already were on a very tight schedule, it seems to me. The only interesting thing about the 02 is that it's a circular venue.

Yeah, that's mainly it. That's the key detail I'm singling out. So it would just be the show but at the bottom of a dome essentially? Certain audience members behind the stage in that case.
I need to think about this but I've just been reminded about MJ Air. I'd forgotten that. 😲

But, yeah, the circular thing. I did always wonder if they would have the audience all around. Sorry to keep referencing other performers but we know Prince did shows in circular venues and is on record as saying he preferred them and didn't want to go back to regular venues. Taylor's Eras tour seems to be 'in the round' even though she's in massive stadiums. At least, that's what it looks like to me from the fragments I've watched.

[...] So it would just be the show but at the bottom of a dome essentially? [...]
Interesting question. 🤔

N

No, it's just that I'm taking a musical class. Anyway, that's not relevant to the topic
Ow. That's cool. I have no musical classes in my program, unfortunately. I'm engineer, I learn how to create rockets and their engines 😂

Yeah, that's mainly it. That's the key detail I'm singling out. So it would just be the show but at the bottom of a dome essentially? Certain audience members behind the stage in that case.
Further thoughts - if MJ Air was on screen but the door of the aeroplane was actually going to physically open out of the screen then maybe the show wasn't going to be 'in the round'. Bc the fans behind the screen would miss out on that particular special effect.

Just thinkin'

No, it isn't. It's no different to a normal arena. It's not a stadium.

Basic_Plan_-_End_Stage_Seated_New_STANDARD.bmp

This was the seating plan. Stage on one side like any other concert

It wouldn't have looked any different than the Staples.

They chose it due to location and how similar it is to the 02.
Well that's good to know. I liked the Staples venue so it's nice to know that.

I might've misused the word "stadium". It's technically one in the sense it's a large venue, but it's an arena actually.

Basic_Plan_-_End_Stage_Seated_New_STANDARD.bmp

This was the seating plan. Stage on one side like any other concert
That 112 section was where I was due to sit, it would have been the 8th show of This is it.

The staging was obviously hi tech and the use of 3D was pretty popular in 09 but as a stage it was fairly traditional.

I look at U2's staging for their 360 tour of the same year and wow that looked epic

I wonder what happened to the stage and all the props etc?

Does it just sit in a random warehouse never to be used or perhaps broken down and used elsewhere etc?

I wonder what happened to the stage and all the props etc?

Does it just sit in a random warehouse never to be used or perhaps broken down and used elsewhere etc?
Don't. Just don't. :(

This sort of thing depresses the hell out of me. In my fantasy world, all the props, costumes, etc are all carefully stored and protected until someone can come up with a great project that uses all that stuff. Don't ask me what this amazing project would be. I'm too busy floating around in fantasy land, OK? Don't expect logical realism from me!

The other day I was reading a feature about Dolly Parton - apparently she's kept everything since 1964. Presumably not stage sets and stuff like that but costumes and news clippings and programmes and that type of stuff. Her archivist - she has had one for decades - must be in heaven.

I'll stop now. You just pushed one of my buttons, lol. :ROFLMAO:

That 112 section was where I was due to sit, it would have been the 8th show of This is it.

The staging was obviously hi tech and the use of 3D was pretty popular in 09 but as a stage it was fairly traditional.

I look at U2's staging for their 360 tour of the same year and wow that looked epic
I was right at the front of 101 - July 10th 2009, show 2 - before it got moved to March 1st 2010, show 48

I was right at the front of 101 - July 10th 2009, show 2 - before it got moved to March 1st 2010, show 48
Aww man it would have been brilliant.

I remember freaking out on Ticketmaster when the site crashed , 2 and a half hours later managed to get the ticket and what a feeling , I will always remember it.

I was planning on going to at least another show later in the year but wasn't caring as seeing him once would have been my dream.

Back