What were the most coveted songs in the vault prior to Michael's death?

robotchicken14

Proud Member
This one's for the older fans:

From what you can remember, what were the unreleased songs discussed amongst fans the most when Michael was alive?

For example, was Streetwalker known and highly anticipated prior to 2001? How about the songs on 'Michael' and 'Bad 25' like Hollywood Tonight and Price of Fame? Were they known about, and what did you think when you first heard them after so many years of speculation? I've only given a few examples, of course, but I'd love to hear about how the general discussion compared to now with songs like Chicago 1945, prior to its leak.

Not exactly prior to MJ's death, but a bit after he died TMZ leaked a snippet of APWNN and that song became one of the most sought after songs afterwards. You can find some threads here from around that time of people speculating about the song.

a few seconds of Hollywood Tonight were recorded outside a hotel in 2002. not sure if it was actually from 1999 but leaked in 2002.
very low quality recording.

that snippet was on YouTube pretty early... can't find it anymore.

a few seconds of Hollywood Tonight were recorded outside a hotel in 2002. not sure if it was actually from 1999 but leaked in 2002.
very low quality recording.

that snippet was on YouTube pretty early... can't find it anymore.
Never heard of that one, anyone still got this snippet?

I remember Man in Black was in high demand due to discussions regarding "Decade" album (speculated for a release in 1990 I think), as well as Groove of Midnight, which is still unleaked/unreleased. Blue Gangsta was widely discussed in mid 2000s after remixed rap versions of the song appeared online (on myspace iirc).

I remember Man in Black was in high demand due to discussions regarding "Decade" album (speculated for a release in 1990 I think), as well as Groove of Midnight, which is still unleaked/unreleased. Blue Gangsta was widely discussed in mid 2000s after remixed rap versions of the song appeared online (on myspace iirc).
Temperamental was the goat for leaking it for us.

How did people find out about Price of Fame, Al Capone, Streetwalker etc? It's not like they were mentioned in interviews like Buffalo Bill. Was it just word of mouth at that time?
I don't remember which magazine it was, but there was a magazine/TV guide my mum had saved from the late 80's that had pictures of Mike from the Pepsi advert "The Chase" and it was captioned Michael Jackson performs his new song "The Price Of Fame" in the new Pepsi ad.

Weirdly his Pepsi adverts were so popular they used to advertise what time they would be shown.

As for the others, depositions and MJ's home interview in 83 were he mentions Buffalo Bill as well.

I'm going to go back to about 2008, 2009 for songs I think us fan community knew of, but haven't heard yet. Streetwalker, Fly Away and For All Time having been released already at this point, so those to me don't count.

Al Capone
Man In Black
Buffalo Bill
Price Of Fame
Throwing Your Life Away
Hot Street
Niteline
State Of Shock- Freddie Mercury

There Must Be More To Life Than This- Freddie Mercury
Victory- Freddie Mercury

The 3 in bold, yes we may have heard leaked versions online, but I still listed these as I'm positive fans would die for cd quality forms of these to eventually be released.

1. Man In Black
I remember the discourse about this song. This was touted as being one of MJ’s best songs ever recorded haha.

2.Don’t be messing round
This one was also touted as being a great, great song. I remember Bruce Swedien talk about this song a long, long time ago.

Since GYWOOM was a known title before MJ's death what was the fan community's expectation of it? And how did it change once the snippets started being leaked?

1. Man In Black
I remember the discourse about this song. This was touted as being one of MJ’s best songs ever recorded haha.

2.Don’t be messing round
This one was also touted as being a great, great song. I remember Bruce Swedien talk about this song a long, long time ago.
Well, I don't think we've yet heard the latest and greatest versions of each?

Buffalo Bill probably got a lot of excitement. There was also Crack Kills with Run D.M.C.

And people definitely wanted the Dangerous outtakes to get more hype.

A follow up to Invincible, of course, the Will I Am tracks, and that song, Stop Playing, with T-Pain and Usher.

1. Man In Black

2.Don’t be messing round
Yes mate! I forgot Don't Be Messin' Round haha. I remember people thought it was a ballad because Bruce Swedien mentioned Mike played piano on the track

Do we know from what era does the vocals from Korg Nex's mix come from? I heard a rumor saying that it comes from the Dangerous era version.

He only said that the version he used wasn't from Bad. Speculation has been Dangerous yeah. I find it extremely odd that the vocals are less complete, though.

I also remember him saying that it's not from the Thriller version, so it has to be from Dangerous then lol.

Aaah I'm probably misremembering him saying that then, sorry lol. It's unlikely it's from Thriller anyway, the vocals don't sound like Thriller era at all.

Some I can think of:

Behind the mask
Sunset Driver was too, before he released it.
Tomboy
The Addams family Song
Seeing Voices
Fall again (before he released it)

Back