What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

^ yes, well I'll say if he was not messing with Conrad Murray and was getting sleep.. he could have done it! he was only 50 years old.. it's the toll of not sleeping and the drugs Murray gave him that ended him.. While AEG pushed the shows from 10 to 50, Michael was capable of doing it.

PS the Michael we saw in This IS IT would have been even better if it were not for Murray and his 'practice'..

Although I love this is it , I found that it is one sided. However this is probably because it would effect the commercial value of the movie if it was more balanced.

Hey MJ looked VERY thin, weak and tired in some scenes of TII, there's no denying, escpecially those numbers that were filmed just shortly before he died. In others (e.g. Billie Jean) he looked fine. But without Murray I have no doubt he could have done all the shows required given enough time to prepare. By all accounts the TII preparation was running late - it was being rushed. MJ hadn't toured in well over a decade and should have been doing cardio training well before he started rehearsing the show to improve his fitness levels, particularly as he liked to put on an energetic show and he was 50!

Hey MJ looked VERY thin, weak and tired in some scenes of TII, there's no denying, escpecially those numbers that were filmed just shortly before he died.

He was 50 years old and I'm sure Michael didn't exercise much other than dancing. Everyone would get tired.

^ no one can ignore the effects of a drug like propofol.. All those things people said they witness from Michael (physically and emotionally) are all symptoms that would be caused by long period of use of propofol.. from weight loss, being extraordinarily cold, incoherent etc. He wasn't getting REM sleep.. you can't keep going if you are not recharging yourself, and if you're not - you'll deteriorate.

Hey MJ looked VERY thin, weak and tired in some scenes of TII, there's no denying, escpecially those numbers that were filmed just shortly before he died. In others (e.g. Billie Jean) he looked fine. But without Murray I have no doubt he could have done all the shows required given enough time to prepare. By all accounts the TII preparation was running late - it was being rushed. MJ hadn't toured in well over a decade and should have been doing cardio training well before he started rehearsing the show to improve his fitness levels, particularly as he liked to put on an energetic show and he was 50!

Well if I'm not mistaken, Michael was working out, I think he began training prior to the concerts ever being announced.
Yet, the heavy use of drugs is going to kill out any good that he did for his body.

Behind the scenes drama aside, I thought that MJ looked freaking fantastic in This Is It. The best he looked in years, in my opinion. He didn't look sick, or weak to me at all.

Behind the scenes drama aside, I thought that MJ looked freaking fantastic in This Is It. The best he looked in years, in my opinion. He didn't look sick, or weak to me at all.

Agreed - to me he seemed to be as focused as he was in the early to mid nineties, as far as his focus on the show voice and performance. Different person to that MSG concert. Can't understand why there was so much pressure from the higher ups. When he was there on stage he was putting in a lot of effort.

what I saw in This Is It only excited me more of what could have been.. Knowing that we did not see a full lineup of songs together and how he'd handle that since 30th anniversary, and than due to (whatever it was .. his ankle, and other stuff.. cough cough) there were some MJ that did not make that concert.. It left me definitely curious of what was going to come of it.. To See Mike on stage again, even rehearsing - with the MJ curls again and all.. EPIC!

I think he generally looked okay during the film but I find Earth Song hard to watch, he really looks at death's door during that one. That's the day he came in wearing a massive jacket because he was so cold.

what I saw in This Is It only excited me more of what could have been.. Knowing that we did not see a full lineup of songs together and how he'd handle that since 30th anniversary, and than due to (whatever it was .. his ankle, and other stuff.. cough cough) there were some MJ that did not make that concert.. It left me definitely curious of what was going to come of it.. To See Mike on stage again, even rehearsing - with the MJ curls again and all.. EPIC!

Agreed

With the context of the previous 8-9 years, definitely. I mean, let's not beat around the bush - he looked extremely thin but very, very rarely did we see him larger than 'thin'.

Anyhow I'm so glad he reverted to his Dangerous-era style of hair, it suited him much better.

Re: The Estate "has numerous projects in development."

The one thing I will never watch again is TII. It was important back then to put it out for everyone to say goodbye. But it was just horrible to watch him in that state. I can't really see the point in re-releasing something like this. There should be better things to celebrate.

What state? Some people act like he could barely stand, but he was singing and dancing just fine in This Is It.

What state? Some people act like he could barely stand, but he was singing and dancing just fine in This Is It.

Quite a bit has come out that implicates Michael as being mentally unwell during the rehearsal process. Most agree that the last two days of rehearsals were the longest stretch of time where he seemed aware and prepared for the shows.

I didn't quite believe most of it until I noticed that there were monitors on the floor displaying lyrics for Michael to sing, which is precisely what someone claimed during the AEG trial. That on its own makes me rather uncomfortable.

Quite a bit has come out that implicates Michael as being mentally unwell during the rehearsal process. Most agree that the last two days of rehearsals were the longest stretch of time where he seemed aware and prepared for the shows.

I didn't quite believe most of it until I noticed that there were monitors on the floor displaying lyrics for Michael to sing, which is precisely what someone claimed during the AEG trial. That on its own makes me rather uncomfortable.

MJ having monitors displaying lyrics doesn't prove that he was mentally unhealthy. Other singers have also used lyric monitors too

And when I said he was singing and dancing just fine in TII, I meant from what I saw from watching the movie itself. The behind the scenes drama is a whole other story.

Last edited:

Not to mention set lists taped to the floor.as per many acts Never watched tii after the cinema release. Its to dam painful on all fronts. Monitors with lyrics is the least thing that would bother anyone knowing what was going on

I think the estate have moved on from that. Remembering what was and not would could have been

MJ having monitors displaying lyrics doesn't prove that he was mentally unhealthy. Other singers have also used lyric monitors too

But for a song the man's been performing year in and year out for 25 years, that he himself wrote? Plus the reports of him simply acting off in person (repeating sentences, seeming exhausted, being hand fed by Kenny Ortega).

He sounded and looked fine, but knowing the behind the scenes drama leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

No matter what backstage drama was going on, he looks and sounds fine in TII, so there really isn't a way to tell he was in a bad state, judging by what we see alone. So to say you never want to watch TII again because of the state he was in, is ridiculous

^ Given what we saw was edited and a large percentage was not recorded the dates they advertised.. ie when he was apparently not 'ok' A lot of that footage was before they even went to the staple center..

But for a song the man's been performing year in and year out for 25 years, that he himself wrote? Plus the reports of him simply acting off in person (repeating sentences, seeming exhausted, being hand fed by Kenny Ortega).

He sounded and looked fine, but knowing the behind the scenes drama leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It had been years since he sung a lot of those songs, so it is possible that he might have forgotten some lyrics. He could have just requested lyric displayed monitors to help refresh his memory.

It had been years since he sung a lot of those songs, so it is possible that he might have forgotten some lyrics. He could have just requested lyric displayed monitors to help refresh his memory.

Yeah, plus the whole point of rehearsals is to help get him back up to speed as well so ya know, having monitors seems quite typical for that situation...

Michael had glaucoma which may cause in some people memory impairment, it wouldn't surprise me to be the reason why he may have needed the monitors. And don't forget Conrat Murderer's defense requested to see the 100 hours of footage available and couldn't any proof of Michael looking unfavorably or bad.

glaucoma is a condition related to the eyes it doesn't have any memory implications as far as I know.
Anyway, there parts of TII where MJ looked fit and well (Billie Jean) but there are parts where he is clearly struggling physically and is exhausted (the bit where he's on a platform with Travis Payne). In other sections he appears to be spaced out. It's not a rosey picture IMHO.

As somebody else said it was an obvious choice for the MJ Estate to release it at the time but for some people it was in poor taste and it really didn't show MJ in the best light - his full performances could have been so much better. In the film we see a man deteriorating to the point of near death.

I always thought that the Michael we seen in This Is It was not the same Michael from prior tours like History/Dangerous, etc.
I know Michael was older, but that same love of performing just wasn't there.

Additionally, Michael looked really stiff doing some of the moves he was known for.
His slide glide was awful. It was not smooth as before. He looked like he was tripping over his own feet.

He did have his good moments, but overall, it was clear something was wrong.

Most of the footage is dubbed with album vocals, or demo and it's heavily edited.

I always thought that the Michael we seen in This Is It was not the same Michael from prior tours like History/Dangerous, etc.
I know Michael was older, but that same love of performing just wasn't there.

Additionally, Michael looked really stiff doing some of the moves he was known for.
His slide glide was awful. It was not smooth as before. He looked like he was tripping over his own feet.

He did have his good moments, but overall, it was clear something was wrong.

Most of the footage is dubbed with album vocals, or demo and it's heavily edited.

You got to remember that This Is It was a rehearsal, and it should be judged by rehearsal standards. If you compare it to any any actual show, of course it's not going to look as good. Michael holds back a lot during rehearsals, so of course the best things had to be edited together. And as for the dubbed vocals, MJ explained twice in the movie that he was saving his voice for the actual shows. So they probably had to dub in album vocals for the songs he wasn't singing full out on.

Look at Smooth Criminal rehearsals for the BAD Tour. Most of the time he was walking up and down the stage, and mumbling the lyrics. If MJ had died before the BAD Tour, and that footage was released, people would have being saying that he was ''out of it'' back then too.

one Propofol side effect is memory loss.. We can't take the drug that killed him lightly, we cannot forget that the likely of him not getting REM sleep is huge.. the body would continue to deteriorate when using it.. No one make light of the same thing that literally killed him. He lost weight, he was not fully mentally there, and of course not at 100% - he was not sleeping.. You go 1 night without sleeping and see how you function at work.. now picture weeks!

Back