Whenever MJ wanted to release another album...

Mister_Jay_Tee

Proud Member
Donations
$1.00
Whenever MJ wanted to put out his next record, I would hope he would've used more of his own compositions. That is most people's problems with *his last album*.

Teddy did such a good job contributing material, along with Rod and Siedah and QJ of course, but Teddy did such a good job that MJ seemed to eventually stop expecting the hits to come from him. An unfair sentiment, especially with Bad being what it was: an unbridled success, which was unfairly maligned next to Thriller, his own contributions not really respected as well as they should be, and Quincy's "polish" leaving honestly a bit to be desired. Even now you got people saying MJ had his songs written for him.

Michael should've been more confident about his abilities as a songwriter. He wrote Beautiful Girl and The Way You Love Me. They could've replaced easily some ballads on Invincible and would've made it a better and more authentic album.

Last edited:
I think the pressure and the desire to surpass the impossible made him overreact. And that's what kills creativity. It's a shame.

I think the pressure and the desire to surpass the impossible made him overreact. And that's what kills creativity. It's a shame.
MJ definitely had another Billie Jean in him. He could have easily done it, And basically did multiple times. The world just wasn't listening for them anymore. And the simple fact is, just a sequel to what was already done is just not as impressive. A whole nother paradigm shift on the level of Thriller is still not really possible, especially now that he's gone.

Michael should've been more confident about his abilities as a songwriter. He wrote Beautiful Girl and The Way You Love Me. They could've replaced easily some ballads on Invincible and would've made it a better and more authentic album.
Well, no, they couldn't, because they weren't done yet. Maybe he would've finished them? But it seemed more like he wanted to cook them more. Which is different than not being confident about it. That's how I feel about most of the outtakes. This isn't a redeeming MJ's last album thread, it's about MJ overall.

Well, no, they couldn't, because they weren't done yet. Maybe he would've finished them? But it seemed more like he wanted to cook them more. Which is different than not being confident about it. That's how I feel about most of the outtakes. This isn't a redeeming MJ's last album thread, it's about MJ overall.
Overall he should've written and released more after the success of Bad. He didn't. Could've been a lack of self confidence.

That does not make sense. Bad was the album with the most #1s in the US, and 4/5 of those were songs written by him. Why should he lack the confidence to release his own material?
Because Bad won only two Grammy Awards.

Last edited:
That does not make sense. Bad was the album with the most #1s in the US, and 4/5 of those were songs written by him. Why should he lack the confidence to release his own material?
It boggles the mind. MJ did prefer collaboration, that much is certain. He favored producers with good qualifications, and if they did, he rocked with them. When it came to compositions he always had some, but after a while it seemed like he would've been exclusively using entirely contributed material. Though the list of songs on his bedroom wall was all self penned so maybe he would've stuck with that. That's what I'm assuming and hoping for. A healthy blend if nothing else.

Because Bad won only two Grammy Awards.
I’m sure he would not base his decision to release his self penned tracks on his succes/failure at the Grammys. Most artists have one night where they win everything but then that’s it. There aren’t many who keep receiving tons of awards every time they release a new album.

I’m sure he would not base his decision to release his self penned tracks on his succes/failure at the Grammys.
The Grammys were very important for him:
“Off the Wall was well received by my fans and I think that’s why the Grammy nominations hurt. That experience lit a fire in my soul. All I could think of was the next album and what I would do with it. I wanted it to be truly great.” – Michael Jackson

Though the list of songs on his bedroom wall was all self penned so maybe he would've stuck with that. That's what I'm assuming and hoping for. A healthy blend if nothing else.
In the red carpet interview at the 2006 WMAs, he said of the new album, "I'm mainly writing it myself."

I sometimes wonder if part of the issue was the length of time he left between releasing albums. I know why he did it but still. If you don't count BOTDF there was a six-year gap between History and Invincible. Music changes, people forget.

Back