where you come down on Sly Stone?

6c6adf3c8c7bb54b161e75e52c64d85a.jpg

"In hindsight, major evolutions in the technology of music-making feel like they happen overnight, but in reality those shifts stumble along in fits and starts. Cher debuted the “Auto-Tuned voice” in 1998 but it took over half a decade to catch on with R&B singers/producers like T-Pain and Akon. Likewise, though Sly Stone used the Rhythm King to gird the Family Stone’s biggest hit, 1971’s “Family Affair,” there wasn’t a rush by other artists to adopt the drum machine as a production tool. Outside a few prominent exceptions in the early-to-mid ‘70s such as Timmy Thomas and Stevie Wonder, the drum machine’s true rise wasn’t until the early 1980s when pop, new wave, R&B and hip-hop acts began to explore the device’s broader potential. By that time, Sly Stone’s career had all but disintegrated and the Stone Flower records were, at best, collector curios."

I love Sly Stones music, the man is a genius. He fused the sounds of black and white music together before Michael Jackson and Prince. Though they are unique sounding songs, because Michael Jackson and Prince are innovators, I can hear the influence of Sly Stones music in songs like Beat It and 1999. And OutKast's classic song Hey Ya is a sounds like many Sly Stone songs.

I've always views the sound of Sly Stone's music as a hybrid of James Brown, Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles (their psychedelic albums Revlover, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and Yellow Submarine albums) music.

Sly Stones influence on popular music is in my opinion bigger than James Brown's because of the way he fused different genre of rock and soul together. A lot of people outside the USA don't have a clue who Sly Stone is or know any of his songs, which makes him properly the most over looked artist in music.
whats that

Thanks zin for this link especially .

Good lord how could Sly ever had been over looked? He is the essence ! Pulled from zins link

There’s a Riot Goin’ On was a landmark – a dark, murky, angry masterpiece. But that album came out in 1971. It was still the height of black militancy in America. Things were starting to change though. Late in 1971 the Powell Memo was issued, beginning the conservative business backlash against progressive social causes. Even the Black Panthers, one of the most visible militant black organizations, shifted tactics and started to devote energies to electoral politics.

If You Want Me to Stay” has Sly singing in this great high-pitched, croaking voice, with intentionally stilted and rushed rhythmic phrasing. It may not seem like it on the surface, but this is Sly offering a kind of crypto-autobiographical statement on multiple levels. The song might be said to rely on masking, with one reading being strictly about romantic entanglements (in relation to his future wife Kathleen Silva), but with another reading being about his position as a celebrity musician being pulled in different directions and trying of being a kind of spokesperson for a generation.

The best-known song on the album is undoubtedly the cover of “Que Sera Sera (Whatever Will Be Will Be),” with vocals by Rose Stone. The song was song originally popularized by Doris Day in a bright yet rigid reading used in a film.

selvee_michal.jpg
:eek:

"Thank You Mijac (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin),” said the irrepressible Stewart at the signing of the agreement.

"Sly and the Family Stone were a force for enlightenment and positive change, a message that Michael believed in. He recognized Stewart’s genius and the power of his words and music which is why he first acquired the catalog and why we at MIJAC follow in Michael’s footsteps today,” John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson.

Last edited:
@wendijane - FYI

@Agonum - this more just for interest. Probably won't tell you anything you don't already know.

I need to go and eat. Haven't read this properly. Seems OK but I'll check it out properly later. If it's rubbish I'll delete.

Sly did doo-wop with The Viscaynes in his early career

81qKYkgRVRL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

"The Viscaynes of Vallejo, California - to the north of San Francisco - were one of many groups to earn a local following playing high school talent shows and dances. There were personnel shifts along the way, all chronicled by Palao (often via interviews with the key figures), but the line-up coalesced with Sly, Frank Arellano, Charlie Gebhardt, Vern Gebhardt (replacing Jim Kozier), Maria Boldway, and Charlene Imhoff. (Charlene amusingly recalls in the liner notes that "We were in the music hall, rehearsing for the talent show, and Sly came walking in. He said, 'Doesn't anybody here sing harmony? You're all singing leads!'" The onetime child prodigy would soon take the reins, with Frank Arellano describing him as the "unspoken musical leader" while affirming that "It was kind of strange that kids that age were so dedicated to what they were doing.")

In the liner notes, Sly recalls facing the sad reality of prejudice in Vallejo: "Black people could only go skating Monday night and go swimming Saturday. But I went all the time, and somehow, I didn't get in trouble. I did everything I wanted to do, and I think it was because I didn't pay any attention to it. I mean, I never understood it in the first place." He also frankly recalled his black friends' reaction to his time in The Viscaynes: "All the other groups were black groups, funky as a mother, and I had to figure out how to kick their asses, and I did. [The Viscaynes] believed in me and they did what I said. And some of the black kids got mad at me for showing them. After we did, I got up on stage and explained to them that this is a talent show, this is my group, we're always gonna win and we always did. I always won anything I was in, if it had to do with music. I'd just figure out how to win, that's all." His tenacity and camaraderie earned him the affection and admiration of his fellow members who still harbor that fondness today."

Sly St(all)one
Seriously, mate! This is such an old, tired joke. I'm surprised you could summon up the energy to even type it out. 🙄

Here, have a photo. That's Cynthia Robinson on trumpet. That might be Jerry Martini on sax, he was in the band from the beginning in 1967 until the very end in 1975. But I've seen photos where there's two sax players onstage so I don't know for sure who this guy is. It looks like Jerry based on videos I've seen. But I could be wrong.

Go and watch Sly and his gang at Woodstock.

cynthia.jpg

Last edited:
Back