Who thinks Off The Wall is underrated?

Is it

• Yes

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters
It could be underrated because his later albums offer more diversity thematically. But it is one of the legendary Quincy Jones albums with excellent vocals. To me, it is not underrated.

No , it's renowned as being a classic MJ album and produced some legendary singles.

It's a lot less flashy than all his future albums but vocally I'd consider it as perhaps his best!

DSTYGE Rock with you, Off the wall, I can't help it - all killer! 🔥

Within the fanbase? Yes
Within the general public? No. If anything I'd say it's overrated within the general public

Many of the general public consider Off The Wall to be his best album. I think it's because that's the album that's considered ''cool'' to like.

It's funny how there are people who consider Off The Wall to be his ''blackest'' album when three songs on that album was written by an English white man.

Last edited:
Off is my favorite Michael Jackson album. It's literally his best album as far as I'm concerned. I find it very underrated among fans (who prefer Dangerous and History) and the general public (who prefer Thriller and Bad).

It's funny how there are people who consider Off The Wall to be his ''blackest'' album when three songs on that album was written by an English white man.
Rod Temperton is invited to the cookout, and that's facts.

I think it is seen by critics and music fans alike as one of the 500 greatest albums ever made. Michael’s fanbase doesn’t love it as much, at least not those online. I think the online active fans are often millennials and find OTW too old school In sound.

Off the Wall feels dated to me.....love the songs but if I was given an option to skip it, I would.

Four songs are written by an English white man. Then there’s one written by two white Americans, and one written by one white American.

Although I must say I struggle to see how this all is particularly relevant.

It's not really "underrated". While it didn't sell as much as Thriller, Bad, or Dangerous, it's widely considered to be one of the best albums of all time by the music industry as a whole. Not even Dangerous gets that sort of mainstream appreciation.

Je suis né en 2006 et j'adore l'album Off The Wall avec ses sonorités élégantes, chill et disco. Avec Thriller, c'est l'album le moins daté, il traverse les époques.

C'est un album charmant. Bad, Dangerous et Invincible sont les mêmes mais ils sont plus ancrés dans leurs époques. Si Off The Wall et Thriller ont certes cet aspect années 70/80, mais ils ont une empreinte sonore intemporelle contrairement aux quatre autres. Cependant, cela n'influence pas la qualité d'un album car Bad, Dangerous et Invincible sont des albums de très grande qualité et que j'aime beaucoup.

I like Off the Wall quite a lot! All of the tracks flow together cohesively, yet each one is different enough from the last that it leaves an individualistic impression. Some of the songs are skippable for me (i.e. “She’s Out of My Life”, “Girlfriend”, “Burn this Disco Out”). But several of my most favorite MJ songs are on this album (“Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough”, “Rock With You”, “Off the Wall”, “I Can’t Help It).

i think certain songs have gotten pretty popular, like off the wall (from tiktok), but i think think the album itself is underrated. if you showed a regular teenager the picture of otw album cover i dont think they would even be able to name it. it also took me a while to listen to this album. like for example i considered myself a huge mj fan at one point but i didnt even know the song "workin day and night" 🤦‍♀️ so ashamed! 🤣

Back