Why did Michael perform only in arenas during the USA parts of the Bad Tour? Why didn't he perform in stadiums?

JD MJ

Proud Member
This is a question I've always had. What do you think?

This is a question I've always had. What do you think?
I think he wanted the closeness of an arena as compared to a stadium on his US tours. He certainly could have sold out stadiums. In my city he sold out 4 dates with around 28, 000 each night. He could have sold out more but those were the available days for the arena. I will never forget people actually standing outside at the arena CRYING and just hoping that additional tickets would be sold THAT NIGHT at the concert. This was grown men and women. I’m so glad that he did arenas during his US tour. It was perfect. Best concert EVER! Something that I will never forget, even after all these years.
Let’s not forget that Michael did a stadium tour with his brothers during the Victory Tour.

Last edited:
I think he wanted the closeness of an arena as compared to a stadium on his US tours. He certainly could have sold out stadiums. In my city he sold out 4 dates with around 28, 000 each night. He could have sold out more but those were the available days for the arena. I will never forget people actually standing outside at the arena CRYING and just hoping that additional tickets would be sold THAT NIGHT at the concert. This was grown men and women. I’m so glad that he did arenas during his US tour. It was perfect. Best concert EVER! Something that I will never forget, even after all these years.
Let’s not forget that Michael did a stadium tour with his brothers during the Victory Tour.
You're so lucky you saw him live. Must have been amazing. And yes, I do know of the Victory Tour.

You're so lucky you saw him live. Must have been amazing. And yes, I do know of the Victory Tour.
It was AMAZING. I’ve never felt that way ever. The next day people were calling in saying they had never seen or felt anything like Michael’s concert. I thought I was the only one feeling that way. That night even the news was talking about his concert and during the Sports section of the program, that’s ALL they talked about. They talked about his stamina, his energy, his vocals, his dancing, the visuals, etc. EVERYONE was in Awe! The consensus from the radio listeners and even the professionals was that this was the best concert they had ever seen.

One last tidbit, I had a friend who was NOT a Michael Jackson fan. She decided to go to the concert because she said that’s all everyone at her job and in the news was talking about. The night of the concert after she returned home, she called me and was TOTALLY in love with Michael and the concert. This woman became so in love with Michael and such a fan after attending this one concert that she told me she would follow him ANYWHERE. She became a Die- hard fan after seeing him at this concert. Seriously, being there made you experience a feeling that was surreal and one that I haven’t experienced ever again. My friend AND others expressed the same feeling.🙂

It was AMAZING. I’ve never felt that way ever. The next day people were calling in saying they had never seen or felt anything like Michael’s concert. I thought I was the only one feeling that way. That night even the news was talking about his concert and during the Sports section of the program, that’s ALL they talked about. They talked about his stamina, his energy, his vocals, his dancing, the visuals, etc. EVERYONE was in Awe! The consensus from the radio listeners and even the professionals was that this was the best concert they had ever seen.

One last tidbit, I had a friend who was NOT a Michael Jackson fan. She decided to go to the concert because she said that’s all everyone at her job and in the news was talking about. The night of the concert after she returned home, she called me and was TOTALLY in love with Michael and the concert. This woman became so in love with Michael and such a fan after attending this one concert that she told me she would follow him ANYWHERE. She became a Die- hard fan after seeing him at this concert. Seriously, being there made you experience a feeling that was surreal and one that I haven’t experienced ever again. My friend AND others expressed the same feeling.🙂
That's epic. Forgot to mention my mum saw him twice on the Bad tour and Dangerous tour in Cardiff. I really wish I saw him live.

Apparently he did that for practical and safety purposes.

Arenas are enclosed platforms (as opposed to stadiums which are outdoor), so they protected from the volatile USA weather, and thus they guaranteed that the concerts would take place in a safe way regardless of how bad the weather was.

Arenas also eliminated the risk of the USA concerts' cancellations due to very bad weather (such as, heavy rain).

Apparently he did that for practical and safety purposes.

Arenas are enclosed platforms (as opposed to stadiums which are outdoor), so they protected from the volatile USA weather, and thus they guaranteed that the shows would take place in a safe way regardless of how bad the weather was.

Arenas also eliminated the risk of the shows' cancellations due to very bad weather.
Oh yeah. That'd make sense.

I have seen the HIStory tour in a closed football arena (amsterdam) as in an open field (ostend). The atmosphere in Amsterdam was ten times better.

Fabulous descriptions. I LOVE the fact that the show was being talked about even during the sports section on the news. Brilliant.

And there is no comparison between an indoor venue and an outdoor one in terms of acoustics, atmosphere, impact of lightshow and any visuals. Indoor venues win hands down, imo. I suppose Michael mostly had to play stadiums because his fanbase was so huge. For the Bad tour he played Wembley stadium 7 times. Approx 500,000 people, I think. If he played Wembley Arena instead he'd have been there for half a year (OK, OK, slight exaggeration, lol).

@staywild23

Read these 2 posts and thought of you, obvs.

Last edited:
I can confirm stadiums or open air concerts are not half as exciting as indoors. Indoors the atmosphere was out of this world loud, it is very exciting. In open air the noise doesn’t travel around it just dies out. I’m talking about a field here, no stands to sit, all standing places.

I can confirm stadiums or open air concerts are not half as exciting as indoors. Indoors the atmosphere was out of this world loud, it is very exciting. In open air the noise doesn’t travel around it just dies out. I’m talking about a field here, no stands to sit, all standing places.
Exactly. Indoor venues are always better cos sound needs something to contain it and something to bounce off of. Outdoors the sound just dissipates. Some venues have crap acoustics but will still be miles better than any outdoor venue.

Not blaming Michael. He was such a superstar, where else could he go except stadiums? It's a shame, though.

Fabulous descriptions. I LOVE the fact that the show was being talked about even during the sports section on the news. Brilliant.

And there is no comparison between an indoor venue and an outdoor one in terms of acoustics, atmosphere, impact of lightshow and any visuals. Indoor venues win hands down, imo. I suppose Michael mostly had to play stadiums because his fanbase was so huge. For the Bad tour he played Wembley stadium 7 times. approx 500,000 people, I think. If he played Wembley Arena instead he'd have been there for half a year (OK, OK, slight exaggeration, lol).

@staywild23

Read these 2 posts and thought of you, obvs.
Oh God Bless you for sharing this with me...

Honestly, it makes me emotional. I could cry reading these, especially the second one.

He was so positively remarkable. It pains me so much that I really don't have a memory of a time when Michael wasn't horribly mistreated by the media. I would love to see that kind of footage! He truly deserves that sort of praise. HIs performances were so extraordinary, it doesn't even feel possible that it's real, or capable of being recreated. Just pure magic. And that's the feeling I get watching it through grainy footage through a screen! I can't even imagine...

One last tidbit, I had a friend who was NOT a Michael Jackson fan. She decided to go to the concert because she said that’s all everyone at her job and in the news was talking about. The night of the concert after she returned home, she called me and was TOTALLY in love with Michael and the concert. This woman became so in love with Michael and such a fan after attending this one concert that she told me she would follow him ANYWHERE. She became a Die- hard fan after seeing him at this concert. Seriously, being there made you experience a feeling that was surreal and one that I haven’t experienced ever again. My friend AND others expressed the same feeling.
Oh God. I am this woman. YOU KNOW how I respond to him already...can you even imagine in person?? I would probably never recover after one of those shows. Professionals would have to scrape my body from the ground because I would just die on the spot lol. But if I didn't die, I genuinely believe I would have abandoned my entire life to follow him around haha. SO ridiculous, but so true.

Honestly, he's just so mesmerizing. I really think that is the case in every era. But you know the absolute inhuman weakness I have for him in the Bad tour. Words cannot express...

I feel emotional now. Boy, I'm such a mess lol.

Back