Why does the estate keep many excellent songs unreleased while releasing other songs that appear to be of lower quality to us?

Going by interviews Will.i.am said they finished recording at least 2 songs together which is The Future and I'm Dreamin'.

What's the source of those?
Choice, Homeless, and Janet MJ Duet have been played in seminar before, not sure about Garbage, that might just be a placeholder title. I know Homeless Bound is a Bryan Loren track that has audio clips of different homeless people talking in it.

Yeah, would appreciate some sources for all the random stuff being said.
I think The Choice was on the computer of Steve Porcaro when he played Dream Away. He said that he found it with Dream Away(?). But there is no evidence of completion. Garbage was a title found in one of the Brad's track list for Dangerous. Also no info on that.

This thread really doesn't need to become unreleased songs 2.0. But anyway

There's also the fact that none of their albums have charted well. The stigma is against them, they haven't gotten number 1 on the US Albums Chart, haven't made a number 1 with MJs demoes. They're probably hoping for that otherwise.

Meanwhile, why waste profits, putting out every good song right now? It's been not even 15 years since MJ's gone, and they've put out about 35 never before released songs. MJ over the span of his career gave us a little more than that amount, 50, by 1997. By the time Bad came out he had recorded 30 songs in his adult lifetime and released them on records. Basically it's never been quantity over quality.

Damien has said multiple times “What You Do To Me” is complete enough for release, and it was considered for Bad 25- he also posted some of the lyrics he heard on his Twitter. “Weight” has been confirmed to have full vocals by multiple sources. Also, ”The Choice”, “Homeless Bound”, “Garbage”, “Janet/MJ Duet” are instrumentals with no vocals (technically, Homeless has audio clips in it but not from MJ). As far as I’m aware- didn’t Michael say in an interview that he recorded Buffalo Bill right after Billie Jean was finished?
If I’m recalling correctly, Damien couldn’t recall how far along “What You Do to Me” was, but figured it has to be pretty far along since he had lyrics noted.

I don’t think “The Choice,” “Garbage,” or the untitled Janet/MJ duet were ever played at seminars. We only learned they existed after Brad’s laptop was stolen.

John Barnes said that “Buffalo Bill” likely has a demo vocal, which could mean anything from “I’m So Blue” to “Free” as far as completion goes.

I think The Choice was on the computer of Steve Porcaro when he played Dream Away. He said that he found it with Dream Away(?). But there is no evidence of completion. Garbage was a title found in one of the Brad's track list for Dangerous. Also no info on that.
They were both on the track list for Dangerous. Just For Now and Get You Back are the songs found on Steve's computer.

I would love for somebody to sit with as many of MJ’s collaborators as possible and just go through the contents of their archives. Discuss what’s complete and what’s not, what’s releasable and what’s not, titles we may or may not know about, so on and so forth. Damien and Joe Vogel keep scraping the surface, but I so badly wish somebody would do a true deep dive. There’s so many questions and so few answers.

I would love for somebody to sit with as many of MJ’s collaborators as possible and just go through the contents of their archives. Discuss what’s complete and what’s not, what’s releasable and what’s not, titles we may or may not know about, so on and so forth. Damien and Joe Vogel keep scraping the surface, but I so badly wish somebody would do a true deep dive. There’s so many questions and so few answers.
This is why you need a proper archivist. As well as all the points you make here I also think that information about all of this material could feed into future biographies or books about his art. I don't mean every single song, I mean just generally. I can easily envisage a chapter dealing with little known / unheard material. The fact that people hadn't heard the songs wouldn't matter. Exploring the themes that Michael was interested in during different eras, for example. That could be one angle. Or looking at how his vocals changed (or didn't). Or looking at whether his compositions were becoming more classical in nature. I haven't heard every single thing that Michael released but it was still interesting to read about certain songs on the Joe Vogel book. So it could also work for unreleased stuff, imo.

oh god, I'm getting lost in fantasies. Also derailing. :D

No worries, I'm always happy to answer!

Anyway,

-With Will.i.am he contradicts himself all the time, first he says he won't release the songs because he feels he can't release them without MJ's input. Then he says he won't release them unless Katherine says so. Then he tries to release one of the songs on one of his albums but the Estate didn't give him permission. Now he's back to saying he will never release the songs no matter what.

-With RedOne he won't let the Estate release his songs unless the profits goes to charity.

-With the songs made in Bahrain is because the founder of the 2 Sea Records won't release them out of respect for MJ's legacy.

So in the end we're only left with the songs made with Brad Buxer, Michael Prince and Neff-U, but unfortunately 99% of it is unfinished. So in the Estate's eyes there almost isn't anything remaining from that time.
ohhh ok thank you! :giggle:

I can’t help but wonder what 2019 and onward would’ve actually looked like if not for LN.
A lot better but still.. There was obviously an increased interest for MJ after his passing but most of the time interests fade away after about ten years (my own theory) so I guess it would be quiet on MJ anyway, Leaving Neverland or not.

The positive thing about my theory is that after another ten years the interest in subjects return, so have patience! :) About 2029 that Taj documentary may also be finished lol

short answer: they don't give a sh*t about us, mj or the legacy.

Back