Would "In the Closet" have been better as a duet?

Spaceship

Proud Member
It was originally conceived as a duet between MJ and Madonna because plans fell through due to artistic differences between the two pop stars. Always felt Dangerous was missing a duet when all of MJ's previous adult albums had at least one ("It's the Falling in Love" on Off the Wall, "The Girl is Mine" on Thriller and "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" and "Just Good Friends" on Bad). Perhaps MJ dueting with Madonna on "In the Closet" would have kept the album's sales from declining during the first leg of its tour.

You can actually hear traces of a duet when you listen to Princess Stephanie's lines.

There is something I have to say to you
If you promise you'll understand
I cannot contain myself when in your presence
I'm so humble
Touch me, don't hide our love
Woman to man
---
One thing in life you must understand
The truth of lust to woman to man
So open the door and you will see
There are no secrets
Make your move, set me free
---
'Cause if it's aching, you have to rub it

Although I like the song as is, I wouldn't have minded it if someone else was singing along with MJ. Who y'all think would have worked on it? Madonna? Whitney Houston? Or maybe Janet? jk lol

Last edited:
Lol tbh I think the song was better off as a solo MJ song after all. MJ doesn't need to duet with someone else to make a good record.

But I would have liked a remix of it with someone else.

In the Closet is still more of a duet than It's The Falling in Love, from my point of view. I basically regard both as solo compositions really.

Keep in mind that if the 'In The Closet' song was a duet between Michael Jackson and Madonna, then the concept of that music video would have been completely different and distasteful.

At Madonna's request, the concept of that music video would involve cross-dressing (i.e., Michael Jackson would dress as a woman, and Madonna would dress as a man).

I am glad Michael never did a duet with that witch Madonna.

It was originally conceived as a duet between MJ and Madonna because plans fell through due to artistic differences between the two pop stars. Always felt Dangerous was missing a duet when all of MJ's previous adult albums had at least one ("It's the Falling in Love" on Off the Wall, "The Girl is Mine" on Thriller and "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" and "Just Good Friends" on Bad). Perhaps MJ dueting with Madonna on "In the Closet" would have kept the album's sales from declining during the first leg of its tour.

You can actually hear traces of a duet when you listen to Princess Stephanie's lines.

There is something I have to say to you
If you promise you'll understand
I cannot contain myself when in your presence
I'm so humble
Touch me, don't hide our love
Woman to man
---
One thing in life you must understand
The truth of lust to woman to man
So open the door and you will see
There are no secrets
Make your move, set me free
---
'Cause if it's aching, you have to rub it

Although I like the song as is, I wouldn't have minded it if someone else was singing along with MJ. Who y'all think would have worked on it? Madonna? Whitney Houston? Or maybe Janet? jk lol
In the closet with janet????.............that would be hella creepy!

I am so glad Madonna is not on Dangerous.
I am sad Naomi Campbell was chosen for the video (she's a mean girl, and had links to Epstein and Weinstein and who-knows-what-else).
Always felt Dangerous was missing a duet
A proper duet would have been wonderful to hear on Dangerous. If I were in the driver's seat, she'd have no big name but a voice to die for.

It's a shame that a duet between Michael and Whitney/Prince/Madonna never happened - some of the greatest artists of all time.
Perhaps it's for the best, the anticipation and hype would've been too much, the final product would never have been able to deliver to the expectations.

One of the things I love about the song is the intensity and I think if had been made as duet with Madonna or whoever, I think it would have lost some of that spark.

Off topic: I always wondered if there was an earlier demo than the one we know, for some reason I can imagine it first was like a Streetwalker type of song. It might be one of my favourite MJ songs and videos though; the vocals and ad-libs are amazing too

Off topic: I always wondered if there was an earlier demo than the one we know, for some reason I can imagine it first was like a Streetwalker type of song. It might be one of my favourite MJ songs and videos though; the vocals and ad-libs are amazing too

If I remember correctly, In The Closet was one of the tracks on a tape Teddy Riley gave to Michael. The tape had instrumental grooves. Michael loved all of them. I think Remember The Time, In The Closet and Blood On The Dance Floor were among the tracks on that tape. So if there is anything predating that tape, it's earlier work of Teddy Riley, but not an earlier version by Michael.

Album sales were fine up until the allegations came out in 1993, then the album tanked, and the tour was cancelled. Had nothing to do with Madonna missing on it. Glad she didn't appear on the song. She hated the song, called it a P.O.S, so MJ decided to move on. He made the right call.

If I remember correctly, In The Closet was one of the tracks on a tape Teddy Riley gave to Michael. The tape had instrumental grooves. Michael loved all of them. I think Remember The Time, In The Closet and Blood On The Dance Floor were among the tracks on that tape. So if there is anything predating that tape, it's earlier work of Teddy Riley, but not an earlier version by Michael.
Thanx!

It was a good thing that Madonna did not duet with him on that song because her presence would have overshadowed the entire 'Dangerous' album.
Always felt Dangerous was missing a duet when all of MJ's previous adult albums had at least one ("It's the Falling in Love" on Off the Wall, "The Girl is Mine" on Thriller and "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" and "Just Good Friends" on Bad).
But the 'In The Closet' song is actually a duet.

For example, here is what is written on the CD single (the version with the brand new remixes):

MICHAEL JACKSON & MYSTERY GIRL: DUET
They started lagging in 1992 and only picked up when MJ started doing more public appearances at the start of 1993.
It was actually Michael Jackson's live performance at Bill Clinton's Inauguration Gala in January (1993) and also his Oprah Winfrey interview later in February (of the same year) which not only boosted sales of his 'Dangerous' album but also they helped the album climb again on the charts.

For example, many people ran to the music stores to buy that album right after Michael Jackson's beatboxing and a cappella singing of the 'Who Is It' song from that interview.

But the 'In The Closet' song is actually a duet.

Hardly

It was actually Michael Jackson's live performance at Bill Clinton's Inauguration Gala in January (1993) and also his Oprah Winfrey interview later in February (of the same year) which not only boosted sales of his 'Dangerous' album but also they helped the album climb again on the charts.
Stop

Back