Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' jacket up for auction_ UPDATE Post #77 SOLD 1,800,000.00

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — The jacket Michael Jackson wore in his "Thriller" video is hitting the auction block.

07b9b9ad261d4bf7a6c95816025d001f_mn.jpg

Auction administrator Darren Julien says the red and black leather jacket is "the most recognized and significant piece of pop culture" to come up for sale, and he expects it to fetch at least $200,000 at the Music Icons auction on June 25 and 26 at Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills.
Other Jackson items on the block include the wig he wore when he announced his ill-fated "This Is It" concert series, his shirt from the "Scream" video and the battered mailbox from the Carolwood Drive estate where Jackson died at age 50 in 2009.
The Music Icons sale also includes memorabilia from Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley, among others.
Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

---------------------

The jacket Michael Jackson wore in his "Thriller" video is hitting the auction block.

Auction administrator Darren Julien says the red and black leather jacket is "the most recognized and significant piece of pop culture" to come up for sale, and he expects it to fetch at least $200,000 at the Music Icons auction on June 25 and 26 at Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills.
Jackson autographed the jacket as a gift to his longtime costume designers, Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush. He wanted them to use the small calfskin jacket as a template for his future concert fashions. A portion of the proceeds from its sale will benefit the Shambala Preserve, where Jackson's two Bengal tigers, Thriller and Sabu, have been living since the pop star left his Neverland ranch in 2006.

Other Jackson items up for sale include the wig he wore when he announced his ill-fated "This Is It" concert series in London, a fedora and spangled glove he wore on stage, his shirt from the "Scream" video and the battered mailbox from the Carolwood Drive estate where Jackson died at age 50 in 2009.

The Music Icons sale also includes one of Eric Clapton's guitars, Frank Sinatra's patent leather boots and 1986 Jaguar, handwritten lyrics and a leather jacket from Johnny Cash, jackets and a guitar from Elvis Presley, a signed harmonica from Bob Dylan and nearly 600 other pieces of music memorabilia from Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, The Beatles and others.
The collection will be on view free to the public from June 13 to 25 at Julien's Auctions Gallery in Beverly Hills.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=13771019

Last edited:
Re: Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' jacket up for auction

What the hell?! This makes me sick to my stomach. I'm not one to quickly yell "vulture", but this is gross exploitation. The Thriller jacket is sad, but fine. However, the wig and the mailbox?! Really?! Selling his freakin' wig is so incredibly rude and disrespectful to him! And the mailbox - that's just morbid. We all know the only reason for that is because it was shown 1,000 times on t.v. and in pictures in 2009. That image of the gates, the ambulance and that mailbox are forever imprinted in all of our minds when we think about June 25th. And last but not least - another auction on the anniversary. Sickening.

I'm sad about the Thriller jacket. Those things should be preserved in a museum, not sold and made to disappear forever.

Selling his wig is so tacky, low and disrespectful. I mean who in the world would get their hands on this to pass it off to Julien's? *I'm looking at you Jackson family* Especially since it came to light about Rebbie selling off possessions from his rented house, I woudn't be the least bit surprised if it was a family member that gave it away. The thought is sickening :(

ETA: The more I think about it, the more I believe it was a family member. After his death the house was sealed-off. I'm sure none of his employees had the gall to remove items from a possible crime scene, and it can't be the cops or paramedics. The only other people allowed in and given free rein to box up and take whatever he owned during the last months of his life were family. I feel so so sad for Mike.

Last edited:

this auction disgusts me

I can't believe it.WTF

I'm sad about the Thriller jacket. Those things should be preserved in a museum, not sold and made to disappear forever.

Selling his wig is so tacky, low and disrespectful. I mean who in the world would get their hands on this to pass it off to Julien's? *I'm looking at you Jackson family* Especially since it came to light about Rebbie selling off possessions from his rented house, I woudn't be the least bit surprised if it was a family member that gave it away. The thought is sickening :(

ETA: The more I think about it, the more I believe it was a family member. After his death the house was sealed-off. I'm sure none of his employees had the gall to remove items from a possible crime scene, and it can't be the cops or paramedics. The only other people allowed in and given free rein to box up and take whatever he owned during the last months of his life were family. I feel so so sad for Mike.
I can't think of anybody else who would have access to something so personal as Michael's wig except his family. This is incredibly disrespectful to Michael.

And that Thriller jacket should be in the Smithsonian!! It is priceless...

I can't think of anybody else who would have access to something so personal as Michael's wig except his family. This is incredibly disrespectful to Michael.

And that Thriller jacket should be in the Smithsonian!! It is priceless...

I read Karen Faye's twitter - the hair stylist that worked on that wig might have had access to it after Michael wore it.

I totally agree about the Thriller jacket, although I do like that at least some of the proceeds are supposed to help fund the organization that is taking care of Michael's tigers.

'Thriller' jacket Michael Jackson wore put on auction

Posted 1 hour, 3 minutes ago by Corinne Heller
The iconic red and black calf leather jacket Michael Jackson wore in the 1983 music video "Thriller" has been put on auction with a starting bid of $100,000.
Related News

Stories:

The singer, dubbed the King of Pop, died in 2009 at age 50. "Thriller" is regarded as one of the most famous music videos of all time and is part of the U.S. National Film Registry.
"You will not want to miss the sale of the 20th Century's most iconic piece of pop culture ephemera - Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' video worn jacket. We know of no other jacket that is so easily recognizable or one that so altered fashion history."
Other items worn by Jackson, as well as signed photographs of the singer, are also set to be sold at the auction, which takes place between June 25 and June 26. Among them - a glove adorned with black Swarovski crystals that the singer donned at the 1984 American Music Awards. It starting bid is $10,000.
Also set to be auctioned - the MTV Video Music Award moonman for Best Choreography that was given for the "Thriller" video. It has a $4,000 starting bid.
The "Thriller" jacket is one of two that Jackson owned and wore during the filming of "Thriller." The other is on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio, on loan from the Estate of Michael Jackson, auction house Julien's Auctions said.
This jacket was given by Jackson to his longtime costume designers Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush, "or just "Bush" as Michael called him," it said, adding: "When he first brought it to them, they reportedly asked if he could really dance freely in the jacket, to which Jackson incredulously replied, "Have you seen the video for 'Thriller'?"
A portion of the proceeds from the sale of the jacket is set to go to the Shambala Preserve, located near Los Angeles, where Jackson two Bengal tigers, Thriller and Sabu, have been living since 2006, when Jackson left Neverland Ranch.
The auction house, Julien's Auctions, is also offering items that belonged to other celebrities. A Gibson acoustic guitar owned by Elvis Presley, whose daughter Lisa Marie was once married to Jackson, has a starting bid of $10,000. A 1986 Jaguar car owned by crooner Frank Sinatra is on sale for a starting price of $5,000.

http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/Thriller-jacket-Michael-Jackson-wore-put-on-auction/8173513

My feelings about this fluctuate between sadness and outrage. I think it is utterly disgusting for this to be taking place.

To be fair Julien's Auctions held a regular auction in June before Michael's death. So they are just keeping the regular date and not scheduling it around Michael's anniversary. The auction also has many items from many other musicians.

As for the items some of them are unbelievable.

wouldnt bush want to keep and treasure this? is everyone that desperate for money?

To be fair Julien's Auctions held a regular auction in June before Michael's death. So they are just keeping the regular date and not scheduling it around Michael's anniversary. The auction also has many items from many other musicians.

As for the items some of them are unbelievable.

I think they may have tried to avoid the actual anniversary date this year, as all the MJ items are on sale on the 26th. In the past MJ items have been sold on the 25th. A very small difference, I know, but nevertheless an improvement.
Agree its sad about some of these iconic items...so many have been sold to 'big money' collectors, but they don't seem to exhibit these items anywhere, just squirrel them away.

As to the items....Bit surprised nobody's tried to sell bits of the ambulance really....give it time. (I've seen even worse things sold at auction!) If there is a profit in it, there is always someone who will sell. ( Didn't a babysitter try and sell the child on e-bay a few weeks ago?)

See, thats why when you see some on t.v. talking about how much Michael meant to them, you just have to wonder. Why would they auction something so important that Michael gave them just like that? Money, anything for money! And don't get me started on the wig, how is something so personal and private up for auction? I'm certain MJ did'nt give it to anyone so who the hell stole it, only to turn around and make a profit from it?

I am confused. He signed the jacket for these two men and gave it to them and now they are selling it? I could never do that and the wig thing i think is beyond tacky.

My feelings about this fluctuate between sadness and outrage. I think it is utterly disgusting for this to be taking place.

I'd rather see those items get incinerated then see it get bought and sold like commodities in an open market............

..........I mean what would Michael's children think of all of this????

There should be a Michael Jackson museum. If his kids can't have it, then put Michael's belongings in a museum. They did that with Elvis Presley and I think Michael deserves that same respect. The fact that some idiot in Omaha can own something that was so close and dear to Michael is blasphemy.

I guess bush is just another sell out.the crap never ends.

Would Michael do this? Of course not.

I was shocked when I heard about it on tv this morning. I am very upset that such iconic items are being auctioned off. I think they should be treasured and put in a Michael Jackson museum. I can't believe this is happening to Michael's things. I wish the Estate would buy it back.

I'm relieved to find out the wig wasn't given away by family, but some hairstylist. Although, I do wonder why Michael gave it to her in the fist place, unless it was some rented piece. I'm still disgusted at her. At her blantant disregard for Michael's privacy and dignity and her total lack of respect for him. He would have hated it.

I'm also disappointed in Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins. They may need the money, but I think if someone means a lot to you all the money in the world wouldn't tempt you to part with something that person gifted you. So how much did Michael mean to them? Were those crocodile tears that we saw in the interview they did last year? I doubt they are destitute or anything.

Michael gave away so many of his costumes as mementos to friends, only to have them auctioned off by these so called friends after his passing. I really wish Michael had not been so generous with his personal items.

Last edited:

I was shocked when I heard about it on tv this morning. I am very upset that such iconic items are being auctioned off. I think they should be treasured and put in a Michael Jackson museum. I can't believe this is happening to Michael's things. I wish the Estate would buy it back.
I wish the estate would buy the jacket the back for the children. I believe they would treasure it.

Or better yet Michael Bush could give it to the kids:yes:

I'm relieved to find out the wig wasn't given away by family, but some hairstylist. Although, I do wonder why Michael gave it to her in the fist place, unless it was some rented piece. I'm still disgusted at her. At her blantant disregard for Michael's privacy and dignity and her total lack of respect for him. He would have hated it.

I'm also disappointed in Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins. They may need the money, but I think if someone means a lot to you all the money in the world wouldn't tempt you to part with something that person gifted you. So how much did Michael mean to them? Were those crocodile tears that we saw in the interview they did last year? I doubt they are destitute or anything.

Michael gave away so many of his costumes as mementos to friends, only to have them auctioned off by these so called friends after his passing. I really wish Michael had not been so generous with his personal items.

well said.was their whole career based on working for mj.do they not work anymore.are they that desperate. I highly doubt it.im sure they have made lots iver the years have a nice house etc Its all about the money in the end i guess.

Mj had two thriller jackets the kids have one.

What a fucking joke this is utterly disgusting

I wish the estate would buy the jacket the back for the children. I believe they would treasure it.

Or better yet Michael Bush could give it to the kids:yes:

imagine that

it'd essentially be Michael Jackson paying to get back a gift he gave to a friend

ridiculous

Mj had two thriller jackets the kids have one.

I checked that. The jacket that is owned by the Estate and on display at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is the zombie jacket.

2hd4f8x.jpg

so I wish they got this jacket as well.

Has it been confirmed that Karen is the one who gave the wig up to be given to auction as opposed to a family member? Or, are we still at a point where we do not know?

Thank you.

Back