Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' jacket up for auction_ UPDATE Post #77 SOLD 1,800,000.00

Re: Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' jacket up for auction_ UPDATE Post #77 SOLD 1,000,800.00

that jacket was personal to Michael..it was a huge part of his music history,,,the kids should be the owners this Jacket....they are his children for God sakes....this really is just so sad.
Its may be a fan (a rich fan) but this jacket should never have been sold. Ever He said that the jacket will be around the world to children's hospitals good ,but for me this jacket would remain in the hands of his children or display in a museum so that everyone can see it.This should not be owned by one person I will never understand it,what the estate is doing with michael's memorabilia...

The Estate has nothing to with this aution or any auction.
The Estate is NOT auctioning off ANY of MJ belonings

Michael had 2 Thriller Jackets He gave ONE away it was not personal to him or he wouldnt have given it away.
His other THRILLER jacket he kept and it is still owned by the estate which mean it is Paris prince & Blankets Jacket
becuase they wil inherit it when they come of age ..

Michael's own Personal Thriller Jacket owned by his Estate is still on display at Ohio Rock n Roll Hall of Fame
http://rockhall.com/exhibits/featured-collections/michael-jackson/gallery/1567/

EDIT Addtional info

It is inscribed on the inside lining
"To Bush and Dennis, All My Love, Michael Jackson," with the sleeve also signed "Love Michael Jackson."

Last edited:
Re: Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' jacket up for auction_ UPDATE Post #77 SOLD 1,000,800.00

Michael had 2 Thriller Jackets He gave ONE away it was not personal to him or he wouldnt have given it away.
His other THRILLER jacket he kept and it is still owned by the estate which mean it is Paris prince & Blankets Jacket

Michael's own Personal Thriller Jacket owned by his Estate is still on display at Ohio Rock n Roll Hall of Fame
I never said it was owned by estate..maybe it doesn't bother you to see Michael's stuff auctioned off....but..it bothers me....I am a Michael Jackson fan just like you and I have a right to say how I feel...regardless if there was 2 Jackets...THIS ONE STILL belonged to Michael. Jeez your always attacking somone for the way the feel..and that is wrong. I am sorry...I have known you here for a long time...even before Michael passed..I always respected you and your opinions....but ..we dont agree on this...I am sorry Mickey.

I never said it was owned by estate..maybe it doesn't bother you to see Michael's stuff auctioned off....but..it bothers me....I am a Michael Jackson fan just like you and I have a right to say how I feel...regardless if there was 2 Jackets...THIS ONE STILL belonged to Michael. Jeez your always attacking somone for the way the feel..and that is wrong. I am sorry...I have known you here for a long time...even before Michael passed..I always respected you and your opinions....but ..we dont agree on this...I am sorry Mickey.
The estate sentence wasn't directed at you but the other poster who blamed the estate hence the quote above.
I see where you are coming from and I agree this is Michael's jacket and it belongs to him i.e his heirs. BUT he supposedly chose to give it away, it was a gift to Michael Bush and Tompkin (or so they say) (imo it's possible that he just gave it to them for them copy it and make a new one for the TII concerts, since he he's died no one can confirm or refute their claims, just my two cents on this issue), so they can do whatever they want to with it, in this case those greedy b***** chose to auction it off. So there isn't really anything we can do about it

The estate sentence wasn't directed at you but the other poster who blamed the estate hence the quote above.
I see where you are coming from and I agree this is Michael's jacket and it belongs to him i.e his heirs. BUT he supposedly chose to give it away, it was a gift to Michael Bush and Tompkin (or so they say) (imo it's possible that he just gave it to them for them copy it and make a new one for the TII concerts, since he he's died no one can confirm or refute their claims, just my two cents on this issue), so they can do whatever they want to with it, in this case those greedy b***** chose to auction it off. So there isn't really anything we can do about it
Thank you for your words..I mean NO disrespect to anyone at all. I guess all this going on now on June 26th...and yesterday being Michael's 2 year anniversary....has gotten to my heart. It is just breaking me up that he gave this stuff to friends and they have NO problem selling it at auction. So again my apologies...I dont mean to offend anyone.

Thank you for your words..I mean NO disrespect to anyone at all. I guess all this going on now on June 26th...and yesterday being Michael's 2 year anniversary....has gotten to my heart. It is just breaking me up that he gave this stuff to friends and they have NO problem selling it at auction. So again my apologies...I dont mean to offend anyone.

Awe Thunder Im sorry you are hurting over the last few day. I am too (hugs)

Please reread my post Thunder and quote where I attcked you in ANY way_ One word one sentence or one phrase
I dont understand where you see that. I had no desire or reason to attack you. :(

I just posted some information to explain about the 2 Jackets. My reply about the Estate not being invloved
was to the other poster that I quoted and I didnt attack her either. So Im really confused how you could take
my reply for an attack. Im very sorry if it offended you in any way :better:

Last edited:

Awe Thunder Im sorry you are hurting over the last few day. I am too (hugs)

Please reread my post Thunder and quote where I attcked you in ANY way_ One word one sentence or one phrase
I dont understand where you see that. I had no desire or reason to attack you. :(

I just posted some information to explain about the 2 Jackets. My reply about the Estate not being invloved
was to the other poster that I quoted and I didnt attack her either. So Im really confused how you could take
my reply for an attack. Im very sorry if it offended you in any way :better:
no I am sure you did not attack me.,.I am so very sorry....like I said I have always respected you and the work that you do...here and outside of MJJC . I know how much you love Michael. You and I go back to the other forum..from happier times...I would never disrespect you. I am sorry I took your post out of text. Please forgive me...just because my emotions have been high strung these lat few days it is no reason to take it out on others. :hug: I am just so angry at all of them right now...from Murray to The Jacksons to the people who were suppose to be his friends to the auctioneers who sold the stuff....I am upset at them all. I will be ok. Again...I am sorry...:hug: Also thank you for all of your information. It is just so wrong that Michael's things get auctioned. I think I am still so full of emotion and still feel very protective over Michael that I dont want to see any of his stuff go...even if it was a gift to others...even if it will go to charity...even if the dude that bought it is going to use the Jacket for a good cause. *sigh*

Last edited:
Yeah but I think the point is the estate could be trying to get these items back.

So there were two jackets right?

so why where there 2 jackets? did they use both jackets when shooting Thriller? If so, do we know which jacket was used in what scene?
The jacket that was auctioned today was the one they used in the beginning of the video. The 2nd jacket was the one that was used when he became the Thriller zombie, with all the rips and tears in it.

Wow that's a lot of money. I hope this person is really a fan and will do what he says with the jacket. I understand the sad feeling about people selling things Michael gave them. If it was me, I would not ever sell it. I would keep it forever. I am surprised the people who sold it were people who worked with Michael a long time. You would think it would mean more to them then if Michael gave it to someone he hardly knew. I hope the jacket is appreciated and taken good care of.

see Michael's stuff auctioned off....but..it bothers me....

Me too. :(

BUT he supposedly chose to give it away, it was a gift to Michael Bush and Tompkin (or so they say) (imo it's possible that he just gave it to them for them copy it and make a new one for the TII concerts, since he he's died no one can confirm or refute their claims, just my two cents on this issue), so they can do whatever they want to with it, in this case those greedy b***** chose to auction it off. So there isn't really anything we can do about it
Yes....

Michael gave with his whole heart and I believe should never have crossed his mind that one day this jacket could be auctioned. Gift is gift, especially when comes from a person very special and important. If it were me, even if it was a piece of paper with some scribbles of Michael, I would never auction off, let go... would stay with me forever. :( *big sigh*

no I am sure you did not attack me.,.I am so very sorry....like I said I have always respected you and the work that you do...here and outside of MJJC . I know how much you love Michael. You and I go back to the other forum..from happier times...I would never disrespect you. I am sorry I took your post out of text. Please forgive me...just because my emotions have been high strung these lat few days it is no reason to take it out on others. :hug: I am just so angry at all of them right now...from Murray to The Jacksons to the people who were suppose to be his friends to the auctioneers who sold the stuff....I am upset at them all. I will be ok. Again...I am sorry...:hug: Also thank you for all of your information. It is just so wrong that Michael's things get auctioned. I think I am still so full of emotion and still feel very protective over Michael that I dont want to see any of his stuff go...even if it was a gift to others...even if it will go to charity...even if the dude that bought it is going to use the Jacket for a good cause. *sigh*

Hey > :hug:

Wow that's a lot of money. I hope this person is really a fan and will do what he says with the jacket. I understand the sad feeling about people selling things Michael gave them. If it was me, I would not ever sell it. I would keep it forever. I am surprised the people who sold it were people who worked with Michael a long time. You would think it would mean more to them then if Michael gave it to someone he hardly knew. I hope the jacket is appreciated and taken good care of.
I heard that the man who bought it also owns the 'Bad'-jacket, and he's gonna tour the USA with them, visiting sick children in hospitals to inspire them, with part of the proceeds going to the sanctuary where Michael's tigers are living.

What is bothering here is that Bush several times on his facebook have attacked others who sell things. and now he´s doing the same..

moodyblue97;3420507 said:
What is bothering here is that Bush several times on his facebook have attacked others who sell things. and now he´s doing the same..

wow, he did? I didn't know that... double standards..

Yees Bush did attack those who auctioned off items to Juliens.. he was even helping a fan whose gift to Michael was auctioned off by Rebbie...

The jacket that was auctioned today was the one they used in the beginning of the video. The 2nd jacket was the one that was used when he became the Thriller zombie, with all the rips and tears in it.

THANKS!

(Reuters) - A leather jacket worn by Michael Jackson for his "Thriller" video sold for $1.8 million at an auction on Sunday to a Texas gold trader who plans to use it to raise money for children's hospitals worldwide.

The black and red calf leather jacket with winged shoulders was one of two used for the shoot. The other one, in scuffed condition, is owned by the Jackson estate.

The one sold by Julien's auction house in Beverly Hills is in better shape and is signed on the sleeve by Jackson. It was designed by Deborah Landis, the wife of "Thriller" director John Landis. Jackson presented it to the vendors, Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush, his longtime costume designers.

It sold to Milton Verret of Austin, Texas, who showed up in person to triumph over about a dozen bidders from around the world.

"It is one of the most important pieces of rock 'n' roll memorabilia in history," Verret told Reuters. His collection also includes another Jackson jacket and guitars signed by members of U2.

Plans are underway to show the "Thriller" jacket at Dell Children's Hospital in Austin, before sending it around the world to display during charity events. A portion of the auction proceeds will benefit an animal reserve where Jackson's two Bengal tigers reside.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/26/us-jackson-jacket-idUSTRE75P26B20110626

I. Don't know maybe Michael bush can tell the fan when MJ gave him that jacket, was it a gift or was it to copy.
I am a designer and people give me there personal thing to copy all the time, some never come back for the original, most of the time I would have to call them and hand over there belong.
So under what circumstance did Michael bush get the jacket?
That jacket look like a set why would MJ gave away part of the set?

Just saw it on television, wow 1.8mil $. but isn't there supposed to be more than 1 jacket?

Jackson presented it to the vendors, Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush, his longtime costume designers.
I find it so weird. you don't give ONE gift to TWO people. Maybe I am over sensitive, but in Michael's world, filled with greedy people, I can't stop thinking this way.

I. Don't know maybe Michael bush can tell the fan when MJ gave him that jacket, was it a gift or was it to copy.
I am a designer and people give me there personal thing to copy all the time, some never come back for the original, most of the time I would have to call them and hand over there belong.

this sound more reasonal to me.

I have been saying the same thing. I wish the estate had challenged them on this.

But I guess there is no way to find out...

I didn't read the entire article...So it's not the Estate that sold the jacket.Thank you for your explanations qbee. Yet I still feel the same as xthunderx2. And as said saveNRG:"The jacket that was auctioned today was the one they used in the beginning of the video. The 2nd jacket was the one that was used when he became the Thriller zombie, with all the rips and tears in it. " It's sad. Let's hope that he doesn't lose it or worse that somebody steals it.Hope the children will get it back someday.

Michael gave with his whole heart and I believe should never have crossed his mind that one day this jacket could be auctioned. Gift is gift, especially when comes from a person very special and important. If it were me, even if it was a piece of paper with some scribbles of Michael, I would never auction off, let go... would stay with me forever. :( *big sigh*

I think Michael was very much aware that this might happen with some of his gifts.He was too smart and down on the ground.

Me too. :(

Yes....

Hey > :hug:
thank you so much...I really needed that...:hug:

He gave them the jacket for them to use it as basic and make copies for the ones he´s wearing on stage. They had asked him if he could dance freely in it and he had answered. "have you seen the video?"

Back