Murray Trial - Day 14 - October 20 - Discussion

kinda anxious to hear how the defense will approach dr. shafer......

I was just thinking that Muarry's face would make a good mask for Halloween on October 31.

I am not anxious about the cross of Shaffer, rather I am expecting to look at it with amusement. What possible dent can they make in his testimony and how are they going to rattle someone with such knowledge and expertise. This is going to be like a Tom and Jerry game to me.

bouee ill be around tomorrow as my work has been cancelled which made my day.

guess we shall see what cross will bring...I myself am not to worried. After Shafer kcked butt like he did yesterday,,,I dont see what the defense can bring, There is NO defense for his actions, imo..they will just be going through the motions to finish their cross examination,

It still bothers me that Dr White is in the courtroom taking notes from witness statements, I really hope that Walgren will be on top of him when he's up in witness box.

shaffer seems to be at the end of his direct then cross to follow then court will be over for the day giving the defence time to be ready for tomorrow.

courts starting

Damn i missed my train and havent got home yet... Thanks in advance for updates!

talking about diprivan walgren talked to shaffer in march 2011 when he asked if he would testify. at that time walgren gave him medical records and info on the case. march 8th 2011 report written by paul white was given to shaffer. he reviewed it white said mj may have taken it orally. shaffers responce to that i was disapointed as its not possible. diprivan is matabolised so quick in the liver that very little gets past it. if it goes into the stomach it then goes into the liver. a very small % can get past the liver. the first past effect is taught to medical students. ie its basic common knowledge. he says basically there would be so liitle left of the diprivan after its been through the liver that it wouldnt do anything.

pros are doing a power point presentation

SkyNews doesn't have anything up just now, it's busy parading on about Colonel Gadaffi. :/

How can Dr White have possibly made such a stupid mistake? What a good way of showing that Dr White can't be trusted to give accurate information.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness shaffer just said he was disappointed in the statement that White gave about Michael drinking prof because all 1st year medical students learn that what goes to the stomach is passed to the liver (the first pass) and its effects would be removed. Basically White was trying to present an out for the defense and had forgotten that Shaffer wrote the book on prof and knows more about medicine than White. Further, remember the time it takes to withdraw prof from the bottle that Shaffer explained yesterday showing that in no Michael could do all that in 2 mins. So there goes the self-inject and drinking defense.

Last edited:
they are very smart,,they are gonna challenge anything that the defense thinks it can say,,,this pros team is amazing,

shaffer created the presentation bio available means whether a drug is available to the body after its give orally. if its given via IV it goes straight into the blood stream if u eat something does it go into the blood stream? how much can get into the blood after its been through the stomach and liver. shaffer says that once diprivan goes into the stomach it then goes to the liver. when its in the liver the liver basically cleans the diprivan out. so a tiny amount ( if anything at all ?) gets into the blood.an amount that would do nothing.

the powerpoint is showing the body and organs and how the drug travels through the stomach to the liver

Probability of cause of death of dripavam ingested orally is less than 1%.
Rectal administration and oral administration is drained by the liver
& CLEANED OUT of the system.
There ya go!

diprivan is deactived when its been through the liver to the point of 99%!! before it gets into the body/blood stream.

the lining of the gut is very active against diprivan. thats new info they found not long ago.
0% chance in his opinion that mj died cause of orally taking diprivan based on what he said above. something that is taught to first year med students!

also animal studies that support that mj didnt take it orally. study from 1985 by a dr. shaffer knowns him quite well dr glenn did the report hes a scientist who worked for ICI who created diprivan. glenn was invlolved in the developent of diprivan hes the father of diprivan according to shaffer. the study looked at diprivan given to mice by different means. IV doses of 5-15mg per kg were effective. 300mg kg given orally did not cause the animals to go into general anesthesia 20x more OD orally didnt produce general anes.. because of the liver and as mentioned above about the liver deactivating the drug.

the pig study given IV and up their behinds. published in 1991. 0.4% of dirpivan was available after it had been through the liver. the diprivan goes into the colon and then liver after its given up the pigs backsides. so once again the liver cleaned the diprivan out before it got to the bloodstream even when it was given up their backsides

rats.published in 96. 10% available in a rat. after given orally. 90% cleaned out in the liver.

another rat study. availability 0.23% in these rats. so alot lower than the rats above.he said it seems to vary in rats. doesnt know why

another study dogs and monkeys and how much was in the blood after being given it orally.only 0.25% appeared in the blood

white suggested mj drank it. all the studies above were available to white when he made his report in march 11 all the above studies supported shaffers opinion that 0% chance mj drinking it and it being the COD

knowing what white wrote in his report shaffer then did another test but this time on humans.before that to shaffers knowledge a company was looking at studying this. but nothing was ever published about testing it on humans. shaffer thinks a human study wasnt done before because the animal experiments result were so one sided. ie taking it orally doesnt effect you.

shaffer did the study in chile with a dr from there who he knows. shaffer went to a conference in may in chille and asked the dr then to be involved in the study. they carried out the study by having the students drink diprivan. 6 students were involved in the study 3 drank 200mg of diprivan (no doubt fanagan will say it was only 6 ppl!)

side bar, chernoff is upset!

side bar finished 3 other students drank twice that amount. B.P was measured sedation was measured.pulse oxy monitor. and they took blood every so often to see what amount of diprivan was in the blood. none of the students were sedated at any time after taking the diprivan orally. oxgyen levels never dropped. B.P never dropped.

last week shaffer presented the study it was presented at the event he missed last weeked cause of his dads death. it was an anethatist event big event that many attend.many important findings come out of the event.the paper was presented at that event. he got his lifetime award at the same event for his work in the field. this case was one reason for the study.another reason DEA want to make it a restricted drug.shaffer thought it might be because of this case that the DEA want to do it and the talk of mj drinking it so he wanted to address the whole drinking issue and whether it can harm you if you drink it.. he thinks thats a bad thing. as it may block dr from using this drug and that may put paitents at risk.shaffer rejects the whole idea of drinking it from the very begining.b4 he did his own study. the chile study confirmed the opinion he already had

Last edited:
Shaffer is now showing that studies were present before White made that statement showing the drinking prof does not have general anesthesia effect. A study was done on monkeys by Glen who can be called The Father of Prof, in 1985. Basically the prosecution is using Shafer to show the jury that the defense key expert witness, does not have all the information.

You know, I didn't know how debunking that drinking theory would make Dr. White looks so incompetent.

They are now introducing the drinking Chile study. Did you guys see that nasty look Muarry gave Walgren when he passed next to his chair as the lawyers were going to confer with the judge. If looks could kill!!!

Back