Please read - Katherine Jackson vs. AEG Live Case organization and (possible) transcripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivy

Proud Member
As the trial is scheduled to start this coming monday (April 29) , It's time to discuss case organization, and possibly buying transcripts.

Case Organization

This is how the case organization will work.

There will be one

- Video thread (no discussion)
- Picture thread (no discussion)

These will be open to all members to post videos and pictures but discussion should not be done on these threads.

There will be one

- Summary thread ( no discussion )

This will be closed thread. It will be regularly updated at the end of the day by staff from daily media stories. This thread is for everyone to follow the daily developments easily and quickly.

There might be one

- Transcript summary thread (no discussion)

This will be closed thread. It will be updated by staff if & when we get transcripts of proceedings. See more info about this below.

There will be daily

- news only thread (no discussion)
- discussion thread

Moderators will start these daily threads at the morning of each trial day. News only thread is for every member to follow and post the news it would not have any discussion. Daily discussion thread is for every kind of discussion. The next day moderators will close the previous day threads and start new ones. Daily news threads will be merged to form one big news only thread.

At this time we are asking every member to be active participants and post news stories, tweets from media sources, videos and pictures to appropriate threads to keep everyone updated.

Transcripts

While we were previously discussing the trial buying transcripts were brought up. We have at least one member who is willing to pay to buy transcripts. Now is the time to discuss transcript issue.

We are expecting daily court transcripts to range anywhere from 200 to 300 pages. The cost for same day transcripts are $1.50 per page. The cost per page goes down to $1.05 if we wait 3 court days.

So we are looking at anywhere between $210 to $450 for daily transcripts. Given the trial expected to take 60 to 90 days, it's obvious that we can never afford to buy them all.

We have discussed to buy the transcripts 3 day delayed at the reduced cost of $1.05 and only buy partial transcripts - testimony of witnesses we are interested in- such as Jacksons, AEG people,Branca and so on and do not buy expert witnesses.

As I said we have at least one member who volunteered to pay for some of the transcripts. At this time we are asking your opinions about a whether or not to start a transcript donation fund and your opinions about buying transcripts. Please keep in mind that:

- they will be 3 days delayed to save costs
- almost certainly we can't afford to buy it all
- transcripts cannot be posted in full. transcripts are copyrighted by the court reporter. So even if you donate to transcript fund, you will only see summaries of them posted.

Given this limitations, please comment on this thread about your opinions on transcripts and a possible transcript donation fund.

Please don't send any money for transcripts now. We will decide whether to open a donation fund based on comments. We will also wait to see how in detail the media reports and if transcripts are needed or not.

Great work MJJC for doing all this work for us :bow:

I agree with donation fund for transcripts.

I'd be happy to donate so we can buy the transcripts

I would donate for transcripts, but how would that work for me, as I am not living in the US. Sorry, I do not know how this is usually handled..

I'm not an active poster (mainly because by the time I get to a post, the answers or my points of view have already been given by others lol) but I am a very active reader so i say yes to the transcript fund too and will be happy to donate.

Thanks Ivy for such a great organization. My thanks also to the member who offer to buy transcripts.

One of the reasons I wanted the trial to be shown on tv was because I don't trust the media. Even when this trial seems it's going to be vicious, the reporters are going to make it worst. Buying transcripts (even when it's expensive) is the best option if we want to know what is really said in court. We should start a fund.

I'm in favor of buying transcripts of actual witnesses, not experts. I'll donate. I would also prefer that Michael's medical info is redacted before transcripts are posted.

I also am not a regular poster- due to time and often nerves - constraints, mainly. Thank you for the amazing organization! And yes, I think a fund would be a great idea!

I'm happy to contribute to a fund. I imagine we're only going to get the most salacious stuff about mj in the media and none of the caveats and the explanations behind what these 'explosive bombshells' really mean.

I'm not really sure how it will work in practise. This trial is going to be really intensive with stuff going on every day for weeks and weeks. If we're getting summaries of stuff that happened 3/4 days ago, the narrative of the trial will have moved on and we'll be looking at all that as well and so our discussion will have moved on too. The forum is going to have dozens and dozens of threads if we're having 2 threads perday, it's going to be pretty timeconsuming just keeping up with the basics. I remember the murray trial and missing days of it, and just never catching up as to what happened. Also, the choice of days to go for, i imagine it will also depend on what the media reports are, whether there seems to be controversy about partic testimony and whether we feel we are getting the full story.

Last edited:
Count me in - we need transcripts and no tabloid. I'll donate for transcripts.:) And thank you for your hard work.

As I said we can buy daily transcripts at $1.50 a page but if we wait 3 days we can get almost 30% more transcripts for the same amount of money - as the price goes down to $1.05 per page.

so the question is do we want to be quick but buy less, or do we want to be delayed but be able to buy more.

I would say - get more transcripts, even if 3 days delayed. We're going to hear some of what plays out daily - but we can always clarify by having more complete transcripts, even if we're 3 days 'late'. Just my opinion. In this case quantity might actually mean quality. I'm thinking of the bigger picture. Just reading the tweets, all this stuff out of context - I think we need as much context as possible.

Just today I noticed 6 weeks/vs 6 months, sentences being tweeted without surrounding context - I shudder to think about this continuing on.
As I recall even the translations we did a day late with the Murray trial - even weeks later they were still being read. I think a 3 day delay won't matter longterm. We're not gonna 'win' the "posted FIRST" competition - but definitely the 'most thorough' one.

Pace your post is the best ever. I agree those tweets and soundbites are getting on my nerves and do not give the full picture. More transcripts seem the way to go.

Ha so true, but wait till the papers write their summaries. That might be even more irritating.

As I said we can buy daily transcripts at $1.50 a page but if we wait 3 days we can get almost 30% more transcripts for the same amount of money - as the price goes down to $1.05 per page.

so the question is do we want to be quick but buy less, or do we want to be delayed but be able to buy more.

To buy more.

True, you kind of have to search with a magnifying glass for the actual proceedings, but hopefully the avid tweeters will then focus on the motions, arguments etc, instead of who's sitting where.

I think a lot depends also on the rest of the domestic scene in the US. Currently the Boston bombings take up a lot of air time, HNL is still milking the Arias trial and right now a little 8 year old girl was slain. Be at peace, sweetheart.

I guess we'll see how media reports. I saw only a relatively short clip today on CNN that mentioned a lunch break and opening statements. Curious to see what media reports after court is over for the day.

I agree with Pace, we should wait three days and get what's said in court a little later rather than just based our opinions on what the media is reporting. When it comes to put Michael in a bad light the media are experts, they can't be trusted.

I say wait & buy more transcripts unless some critical testimony & people don't want to wait on a certain date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back