A Decade of Vindication (how the news broke).. Let's come together to remember June 13th 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diana yes, the other two no, globally MJ is much bigger and more famous.

I would absolutely compare John Lennon's death to Michael Jackson's in terms of global grief, shock and impact. I am not doubting that Michael was the most beloved African-American or that his music might be more recognisable by some in some non-Western countries, but that still doesn't discount the impact Lennon and his sudden death had. Outside of the USA and UK like you would expect, there have countless memorials dedicated to John Lennon all over the world; Czech Republic, Iceland, Peru, Scotland, Cuba, Bulgaria and Spain to name a few.

You can say one's death is bigger than the other if you want but are they at least comparable? Absolutely. To say they aren't comparable would be drastically understating Lennon's impact.

Last edited:
I agree. Farah's impact is nowhere near as huge as MJ's. As far as I remember they didn't even mentioned her in the Oscars "In Memoriam" section, but they did MJ (and she's been in a lot more movies than he has). Not only did he break color barriers, but he's simply the biggest black music icon, period. The evidence of his huge impact was in the amount of global grief and all the other world leaders who felt compelled to comment on his passing.

No other celebrity death comes even close IMO.

I absoultly agree. When all world leaders make a statement because of Michaels death and only Obama did not, then it is really a strange situation.

BTW years after his death Obama speaks with far less distance from Michael then in 2009.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/no-moonwalking-for-obama-at-barnard

Last edited:
Knowing Obama's political opponents would pounce on him saying anything positive about MJ, but that the Democratic Party's minority base would be mad if he didn't, the media instigated all of this controversy
Why are you dragging politics and race into this? Are mj detractors all republicans? and mj supporters all african-american democrats?? Talk about stereotypes. And no i wouldn't blame it all on the media instigating trouble, they were just articulating what many were thinking. He's the president, he's meant to be the spokesman of a nation, he represents the usa on the international stage, and the absence of any statement from him in the wealth of people round the globe paying tribute to a massive cultural icon was marked.

Can't believe we would think of comparing presidential responses to mj's death with farrah fawcett's. I suppose we're lucky obama wasn't a chalie's angel fan.

^^is this turning into a Bash Obama thread?? I see plenty of that on Yahoo News. :)

Sure looks like it.........

54784853.jpg

*goes and steals some of Michael's popcorn and sits in a corner*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back