A NEW MJ Hologram Is Arriving!

Yes-but that's just a projection of will.i.am (sp?)-no CGI anything. Why couldn't they take a film reel of Whitney then and have Christina match HER. Or are they just working on making it go on tour alone-that's why they are working on CGI versions?

You're assuming theres a perfectly suitable reel of footage of Whitney performing a song, full body, head on without any camera movement to be able to work with.

Also, award shows are generally shot on tape.

I don't get how any fans would like a hologram. There is live video of Mj just watch it. Unreleased songs are great but what's next? New dance routines to these songs bye a hologram. How fake is that? If Mj didn't make the routines or performance no thanks. Contemporizing his songs and making up dances he had nothing to do with? That's not protecting a legacy that's making a mockery of it. Enough of this already. Release some studio footage with the songs not fake Mike.

The impersonator thing seems pointless. Might as well get the impersonator on stage, then.

This.

When I first saw a so called "hologram" of this type, the 2Pac thing at Coachella, it seemed pretty interesting but I assumed they took some old footage of 2Pac and made that into a "hologram", didn't know how it really worked, involving body doubles and impersonators. (Although it should have been a giveaway when "2Pac" made a shoutout to Coachella - as he died years before Coachella started.)

If this was an actual real live footage of a real perfomrance by the real artist turned into a 3D experience it might be interesting...

I think even if they get a old film reel and remove the background, it would be 2D. Plus won't it be just an old thing? I mean let;s say they take Whitney's 94 Grammy performance, remove the background and put it right next to Christina. It will still be the old 94 performance.

I don't think it would be "just an old thing". It would be an actual real performance by the real artist transferred into a new medium.

I don't find any show by any impersonator more interesting than that even if it is "new". "New" in this case isn't something positive IMO as it means something fake that the real artist never created. It is the creation of the impersonator or the team around him/her. New dance routines? Who cares if they are not MJ's? New costumes? Who cares if MJ had never worn them? New show? Who cares if MJ never created it? Just like the production on the "contemporarized" songs then these are someone else's creations, not MJ's. It's not his vision, it's not his art. In short: it's just not Michael Jackson.

So give me any old footage, whether in 2D or 3D, over any of this. I am not interested in "holograms" of impersonators. You might as well as just go to an impersonator show then. Pointless.

Plus, maybe it is easier to get away with a double in the case of someone like 2Pac or Whitney who just walked around on stage, but in MJ's case his dance was an inherent and important part of his art. To say you can take an impersonator and replace the original with him and make it be like the real experience of seeing MJ (because often these things are marketed so) is disrespectful to MJ and his artistry, IMO.

I think it is disrespectful to all artists, to be honest. I wish they stopped this foolishness until they find a technology where they can turn real footage of performances by the real artist into such an experience.

Last edited:
If this was an actual real live footage of a real perfomrance by the real artist turned into a 3D experience it might be interesting...

Personally I don't find anything interesting in that. Let's go with Whitney example, let's say 94 Grammy performance. Let's say they turned it into a hologram and showed it in an event. But why bother to turn it into a hologram? Just play the video on a large screen. why would anyone go to see it when they can watch the same performance at home on youtube?

Now this will be different for a living person. They can record a new unseen performance and that could be used as a hologram. People would be interested in that. I personally don't think the "same performance from the past now a hologram and not a video" would have people run to see it. As you said it would be the same performance on a new medium. Nothing groundbreaking in that IMO.

But each to his own.

Last edited:
Personally I don't find anything interesting in that. Let's go with Whitney example, let's say 94 Grammy performance. Let's say they turned it into a hologram and showed it in an event. But why bother to turn it into a hologram? Just play the video on a large screen. why would anyone go to see it when they can watch the same performance at home on youtube?

Now this will be different for a living person. They can record a new unseen performance and that could be used as a hologram. People would be interested in that. I personally don't think the "same performance from the past now a hologram and not a video" would have people run to see it.

But each to his own.

There are a lot of performances by Michael we haven't seen. They could use some unseen footage.

Now this will be different for a living person. They can record a new unseen performance and that could be used as a hologram. People would be interested in that. I personally don't think the "same performance from the past now a hologram and not a video" would have people run to see it. As you said it would be the same performance on a new medium. Nothing groundbreaking in that IMO.

But each to his own.

Like Galacticus said it could be an unseen performance or lesser known one, not necessarily a well known one like a Grammy performance. People have shown interest before in watching a concert in 3D in a movie theater and this would be a new way of watching a concert. That's what some might find interesting. You don't that's OK. My point wasn't that you should. I am not particularly excited about any "hologram" myself. I would be more excited about a HD Blu-ray release of a Bad Tour concert or a Triumph Tour concert. So if no MJ "hologram" ever happens I am alright with that. It's not a necessity to me.

The point was rather that if it happens it should be an authentic performance, not like the Billboard thing. Whether it is in 2D, 3D or "hologram". The problem with the concept as it is now that in case of dead celebrities we do not watch an authentic performance. We watch an impersonator. On top of that it is often marketed as the real thing or close to the real thing which is insulting to the artist and misleading to the public IMO.

At the Billboard show we watched an impersonator dancing to Michael's singing but not Michael's music (as it was "contemporarized" by Timbaland). There was hardly anything authentic MJ in it yet it was sold under his name and under his brand. To me it is just disrespectful and tacky. I wish the Estate cared more about artistic integrity.

In case of living artists, it is different of course. If they contribute to creating their own hologram it's cool and there might be a market for that. But here we are talking about impersonators playing MJ, Whitney, 2Pac etc. Maybe people should just let go of the idea that these people are re-creatable. They are not. Enjoy what they have created in their lifetime, no need to try to create new things in their names. And these hologram companies that try to build a business on it should focus on working with living artists who are able to give their consent and contribute to the creation of their virtual image and leave the dead alone.

Last edited:
There are a lot of performances by Michael we haven't seen. They could use some unseen footage.

Realistically speaking I don't think any unseen and high quality, high resolution performance of MJ exists. However assuming it does, why bother to turn it into a hologram? They could simply release it as a DVD, Bluray, Concert Movie.

People have shown interest before in watching a concert in 3D in a movie theater and this would be a new way of watching a concert. That's what some might find interesting. You don't that's OK. My point wasn't that you should. I am not particularly excited about any "hologram" myself. I would be more excited about a HD Blu-ray release of a Bad Tour concert or a Triumph Tour concert. So if no MJ "hologram" ever happens I am alright with that. It's not a necessity to me.

actually we agree. this is what I was trying to say. If there are such performances just release them as it is, there is no need to turn it into a hologram.

The point was rather that if it happens it should be an authentic performance, not like the Billboard thing. Whether it is in 2D, 3D or "hologram". The problem with the concept as it is now that in case of dead celebrities we do not watch an authentic performance. We watch an impersonator. On top of that it is often marketed as the real thing or close to the real thing which is insulting to the artist and misleading to the public IMO.

I think the logic behind Billboard thing was an imagination of "what if MJ was alive". Assume that he didn't die, he released a new album, a new song and came to an award show to perform. That's an intriguing idea.

I'm not talking about the execution. A dead artist hologram has it's limitations (body doubles, CGI faces etc).So I agree with any and all comments about that too. But it looks like holograms might be the hot thing in future. As I mentioned there was a video of Textor of Pulse speaking at this event. He mentioned they recorded 13,000 face muscle movements. If all possible movements can be recorded via motion capture you can create virtual human beings that could programmed to do whatever you want. Of course it is too late for already deceased artists to do that but can you think about the possibilities?

Last edited:
The thing is with all this. I really don't think it is necessary at this point. We are talking about Michael Jackson it has to be perfect and innovative to the fullest. I don't want this at all really. like others have said give us a HD concert. I would be more than happy to say I was wrong if they could pull something off us fans would appreciate. That's a big if tho. Just don't make Mj look a fool, they are messing with hollowed grounds in my opinion. I remember back a few years correct me if I'm wrong wasn't teddy Riley working on music for some 3D VR concert or something? Are they tied together?

Realistically speaking I don't think any unseen and high quality, high resolution performance of MJ exists. However assuming it does, why bother to turn it into a hologram? They could simply release it as a DVD, Bluray, Concert Movie.

actually we agree. this is what I was trying to say. If there are such performances just release them as it is, there is no need to turn it into a hologram.

All in all the difference between a hologram and DVD release is that it's completely different to sit at home infront of your tv and watch something then it is to be in a huge audience and watch something, have fun, dance sing along, etc.
The atmosphere of an MJ concert is something that MJ was known for and something that we'll never see again.
I believe that the goal of an MJ hologram is to try (I say try because nothing will be like the real thing) and recreate the one of a kind mind blowing spectacle that was/is an MJ concert.
MJ is literally the standard for live entertainment, so I believe if it's done correctly that the majority of people will like it. :)

That why it has to be done right if you want the ppls to come and see it. To me if it is not done right yes i can sit at home and watch a MJ concert on Tv and enjoy it.

That why it has to be done right if you want the ppls to come and see it. To me if it is not done right yes i can sit at home and watch a MJ concert on Tv and enjoy it.

Agreed.

Especially after what happened at Billboard.
Most people already have negative feelings about the hologram, so they're going to have to work really hard to change people's minds.

I think the logic behind Billboard thing was an imagination of "what if MJ was alive". Assume that he didn't die, he released a new album, a new song and came to an award show to perform. That's an intriguing idea.

The problem with that is that you cannot pretend to create something that "MJ would do" when you are not MJ. Probably MJ would NOT have done what was done with that "hologram" at the Billboards.

No matter how they will try.. it always will turn out crappy.
Cuz it's Hollow.. No soul behind it... No God's spark.

It all feels wrong, like a marriage without a groom or bride.

( They need holographic fans to watch this. )

Just think, the system can use you, kill you and then just make a hologram.. and to make money.

They couldn't get Michael's money when he was alive...

I just want to say that if the company is trying with help of technology and different people (recording 13,000 face muscle movements and so on) to recreate Michael’s figure, movements and his mannerism… That’s a lot of work! They are composing like a puzzle not a new, unknown person…
Michael’s everything is too unique and I doubt any technology can give a “hologram” a man’s DNA to be all right. So they need to keep trying and to work hard to get to the final fine result. They better not to stop half way and take their time.

I still think that Billboard performance was fine for the first try and if not to take into account all problems with hologram, the performance was good! For me it was beautiful and obviously the best of what they could do back then.

I guess one day holograms will be more welcome and become a norm and IMO Michael must be there. It is an entertainment and Michael was the best in it…

IMHO his innovative persona and creative mind would be curious. He would not stop other talented people inspired by him to inspire others, IMO.

and how about out takes from ghosts... I am sure that data is saved!

I would rather have that data used for a music video though

At first I didn't like the idea when I saw the billboard awards in 2014. The day after the awards aired, EVERYONE was talking about the Michael Jackson hologram in my school. It made me happy :) Now I think the hologram is kind of keeping his legacy alive.

At first I didn't like the idea when I saw the billboard awards in 2014. The day after the awards aired, EVERYONE was talking about the Michael Jackson hologram in my school. It made me happy :) Now I think the hologram is kind of keeping his legacy alive.

Love your post.

Well, last week I saw an Poster in my grocery store announcing another 'legacy' concert of MJ :doh: and I boldly told my mum that it would just be another 'fake MJ" ripping off MJ's legacy and that I would rather save my $$$ to go see that NEW hologram.
Somehow, I have fallen 'in love' with it LOL :blush:

I have only seen his face now and do wonder how they are gone 'progress' it. I do hope they won't use a look a like for the dancing cause that would destroy the whole illusion again :smilerolleyes:

Anyway, I would love to have this hologram as avatar or in an app that 'keeps you company' :blush: It sounds silly but I was just thinking wouldn't it be cool to have MJ's image like a 'tamagothci' that you have to take care of :wub:

I would love to have this hologram as avatar or in an app that 'keeps you company' :blush: It sounds silly but I was just thinking wouldn't it be cool to have MJ's image like a 'tamagothci' that you have to take care of :wub:

I love that idea!
You could buy him outfits, change his hairstyles, and maybe even buy him kitty ears and a tail!
I can just imagine it.

*opens app and sees that MJ is sad/lonely*
*cuddles and feeds lil virtual MJ*
MJ is now content and loves you even more then before.
You have gained +10 bonding points.
tumblr_m3x6od7z2f1qjt9p1o1_500.gif

Last edited:
^ What in the world is that App about? the things people come up with

If the hologram is actually going to be him this time rather than an impersonator then I'm all for it, the last one was awful Everything was wrong.

3:30_7:45 PLEAAAAASSSSEEEE GO STRAIGHT TO 3:30_7:45.
At 3:30 he is letting Michael know what is motion capture & what it started off as using for & at 7:45 Michael is asking about which angle it will be filmed & the answer they give is EXACTLY what we want for sure! No questions asked afterwards. SIMPLE AS THAT/THIS!
https://youtu.be/bBIEfrxrvag
I PRAY THAT THEY DO JUST THIS & USE THESE OUTTAKES. BILLBOARD WAS A DISASTER IMO! The dance, the clothes, the face. Only thing for me that was perfect was the hair & i liked the cgi with the chair & how it just came to life! Other than that NOTHING!

Last edited:
Back