Atheist thread

Re: Athesit Thread (For non-believers only)

^Cool necklace, if I ever get my hands on, I'd buy these necklaces or similar ones.

il_570xN.311712227.jpg

il_570xN.160643268.jpg

I'm gonna get a tattoo with one of these logos, just have to decide which :rolleyes:

I don't like tattoos on myself but I'm perfectly capable of complementing other people's if I think they're nice. If Christians wear a torture device as a pendant or earings, why us atheist wouldn't wear an atom or the FSM pendants too?

The FSM symbol is not as appealing as the atheist atom one, unless you ask your tattoo artist to make it look like spaguetti and meatballs.

These are amazing!

Touched by his noodly appendage.
3ZzEYY6.jpg

This one looks like the Virgin of Guadalupe's cape. :lol:
tattoo.jpg

JTUjgmu.jpg

8eaba284433a226a9573b939b4225d6a.jpg

picture-002.jpg

Last edited:

Talking about people wearing crosses...

"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a f*cking cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis with a little sniper rifle pendant." -Bill Hicks :lol:

Last edited:

I'm an atheist, and I think we all deserve respect, regardless of our religious beliefs, do not forget that we are here for MJ :) .

I don't like tattoos on myself but I'm perfectly capable of complementing other people's if I think they're nice. If Christians wear a torture device as a pendant or earings, why us atheist wouldn't wear an atom or the FSM pendants too?

The FSM symbol is not as appealing as the atheist atom one, unless you ask your tattoo artist to make it look like spaguetti and meatballs.

These are amazing!

Touched by his noodly appendage.
3ZzEYY6.jpg

This one looks like the Virgin of Guadalupe's cape. :lol:
tattoo.jpg

JTUjgmu.jpg

8eaba284433a226a9573b939b4225d6a.jpg

picture-002.jpg

I'm not really a fan of the whole FSM thing, so I don't want that. I want either a version of the fish, but I don't want it to say "Darwin", I want it to say "evolve". either that, or something like this
Atheist-Tattoo-On-Arms.jpg

I'm an atheist, and I think we all deserve respect, regardless of our religious beliefs, do not forget that we are here for MJ :) .

Unless you're a buddhist or part of a any other nontheistic religion, I don't get the part I bolded.

I can't speak for other fellow atheists here but at least I respect people's right to believe or disbelief whatever they want, so their persona, I don't always respect ideas/philosophies/points of view. I really think no idea shoulld immune of criticism, debate or even ridicule given the circumstance. I don't understand why people think religions and their deities should be granted that priviledge.

Even though I love spaguetti and meat balls, I'm not pastafarian in the strict sense of the world, I'd NEVER ask a picture for an official document or identification to be taken with a colandeer on my head but I love the fact the FSM or the cult to The Invisible Pink Unicorn were created to mock and parody stabished religions wich was very clever IMO.

The evolve fish would be a cool tattoo as well.
tumblr_m5adikDSBe1r18erko1_500.jpg

Just speaking in general here, I think we should be careful not to claim evolution or the Big Bang or any other scientific theory as a symbol for atheism. These are universal truths and there are plenty of religious people (particularly Catholics and Jews) who embrace them.

I am a secular humanist so if I wanted to wear a pendant to reflect my personal beliefs, I would choose that symbol:

symbol-humanist.jpg

It just so happens to look nice too :)

I never claimed those things as a symbol for atheism, and I don't think anyone else did, either

As I promised before, if I spotted the Rúbaí short film, I'd post it again because it's a smart, touching and worthwhile watching little movie.

[video=youtube_share;__RCraeIDqU]http://youtu.be/__RCraeIDqU[/video]

Interesting video :)

[youtube]rFxu7NEoKC8[/youtube]

I wouldn't scroll down to the comments though...

potatoand muffin1 uur geleden
+Catalina Maestas evolution is definitely not real, it was put into school books to brainwash students and teachers, there are articles on a scientist destroying a human footprint inside of a dinosaur footprint to keep his job. To keep the fake "facts" alive and keep the money flowing in to the scientists?

:doh:

With the recent and tragic Brussels terrorist attacks, people are lashing out against Islam, and calling it an evil religion, and not a religion of peace. And of course you got the people arguing against them calling them racists and islamophobics.

How many times does it have to be drummed into these people's head's until they get a clue? Attacking a religion is NOT racist! Because a religion is an ideology, and no ideology should be above criticism. Now, attacking someone just because they happen to be Muslim is wrong and I don't support that. But there is nothing
wrong with criticizing the religion itself.

It sickens me how some people are more outraged that people are attacking Islam over the fact that all those innocent people were killed. What's worse? criticizing a religion or killing a group of innocent people? Gee, that's a real head scratcher isn't it?!

The word Islamophobia was invented as a poor and idiotic excuse to lash out against the ones who dare to call out people's attrocious actions in the name of the religion. No idea, point of view or person should be immune of criticism, why should Islam enjoy such priviledge? To be clear, I despise many religions specially when they are detrimental to human kind but I'm not an anti theist thinking they should dissapear, people should realize for themselves that religions are not necessary to be moral, to be good people.

It also bother me many people pretend they're doing something/helping by sending "thoughts and prayers" to the victims' families when it's worthless and useless. If I had the resources, I'd gladly donate but I'm admitting I can't help them for real instead of pretending.

052c72fb83322fc04906302dfbb2e58bb72392-v5.jpg

Another thing that pisses me off, is when people say that those terrorists are not true Muslims. Okay, so what are they then? Christians, Jews, Atheists, Buddhist? No, they are Muslims. Whether if people want to admit it or not.

If an Atheist went and blew up a church, I wouldn't start saying that person is not a true Atheist. I obviously wouldn't support that persons actions, but I won't say that person is not a real atheist.

It's the classic no true Scotsman fallacy

Last edited:

^The difference with moderates and extremists is the ones who cherry pick their "holy books" to suit their ideologies and the ones who follow them to the letter.

I already posted this video but I post it as a reminder, the first time KOPV used the Scotsman fallacy and claiming brother Rachid had an agenda speaking ill of Islam and lying about it. ISIL/ISIS are Muslim following every step of their prophet Muhammad, the rest are cherry pickers of the Qu'ran just like many Christians from different denominations do with their Bible.

In Pakistan, Taliban's Easter bombing targets, kills scores of Christians: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/27/asia/pakistan-lahore-deadly-blast/

I criticize all religions but at this point I am most fed up with Islam. Christianity did its share of messed up stuff through history, but Islam still lives in the Middle Ages. I am so tired of it. Officially the most effed up religion in the world.

Rest in peace to the victims.

what do you do/say to someone who say they'll pray for you, or that they have prayed for you? it happened to me a few days ago, for the first time ever, actually. one of my moms neighbours, that I also know and talk to a lot when I meet her, a sweet old lady, said she prayed for me last night. she knows absolutely nothing about my religious views, and she's never been anything but super nice to me. I know it's not going to help me in any way, that she prays for me, but it's not going to hurt me, either. so I just said, that's nice of you to think of me. I really didn't know what else to say. she did it because she cares, not to offend me

^I'd just feel grateful and thank her, just like you did. It shows she cares about you. To me it's no different than saying something like "you're in my thoughts". I don't get people who'd make a big deal out of a kind gesture like this.

^I'd just feel grateful and thank her, just like you did. It shows she cares about you. To me it's no different than saying something like "you're in my thoughts". I don't get people who'd make a big deal out of a kind gesture like this.

I agree...in this situation there's no need to be anything but polite. it's the thought that counts. we all knows that's all she does (thinking about me), but she thinks she talks to god. so you are right, it's exactly the same as someone saying "you're in my thoughts", just with different words :D if that makes sense?

ISIS is not Islamic, neither represents the religion apologetics say but many of the the crimes committed by ISIS nowadays , were done by Muhammad first. They still live in the 7th century. The Qur'an itself is the proof.
The only reason why Christianity isn't as f-cked up as it used to be is because it doesn't the power killing people, neither ruling nations like in the Middle Ages the RCC did. It's still evil.

MJresercher if you consider these screencaps go in Debates Withh The Public, feel free to post them there. I decided to post these here bcause I assume you guys as atheists you understand the struggle other unbelievers throw logic and critical thinking when it comes to MJ.

Everything began by The Thinking Atheist page sharing this idiotic and judgemental post about Michael and Prince.

aahla9.png

15yx3ba.png

21ez4b8.png

Just goes to show you that atheists aren't always rational in every aspect of their lives.

I liked your post about Prince's death in the other thread: "Now Prince will be with the stars (the luminous points viewed in the night sky) just like Michael and many other legends." That is true from a scientific perspective. We are all made of star dust as Carl Sagan said. Who says science can't be poetic? :)

Atheism doesn't mean someone is necessarily logical. Also someone can be logical and rational about one issue but completely emotional and irrational about something else.

When I came out of Christianity I visited an ex-Christian message board shortly. I don't know how MJ came up once but he did and of course some people started to make the predictable remarkes and "jokes". I started to patiently explain the case and I think it was well received by most. However, there was one extremely vile woman who started debating me. She claimed her cousin worked for the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office (that explains her bias, if true) and therefore she knows they had tons of evidence against him. I told her if that was the case how come that tons of evidence was never introduced to the trial. She basically tried to win the debate from this position of "my cousin works there so I know better" when in fact it was clear from the discussion that she was ignorant about very basic facts of the case. She did not provide one example of what that supposedly bombshell evidence was that proved MJ's guilt, nor did she ever answer my question "how come it wasn't introduced then?". Instead she started to throw all kind of irrelevant insults at MJ, like "his music was crap" and "Chris Cornell sang Billie Jean better than MJ" (LOL). I did not let her deflect and simply told her that what anyone thinks of MJ's music was irrelevant to the debate of whether he was or wasn't a child molester.

So this person was an atheist, but she could not make a rational argument for her life in this case. She resorted to childish insults, ad hominems, red herrings, appeals to authority arguments ("my cousin works there") and all kind of other fallacies.

But I have seen some vile BS coming from Christians against MJ as well. Mostly the fanatical ones who consider the admiration for MJ "idoltary" and therefore keep spouting garbage against him (mainly using the allegations against him, that's the most convenient thing, but also other stuff), as if they fear he is going to be a competition to Jesus or something if they don't stigmatize him with this BS. LOL.

But then there are both atheists and religious people who can think logically about MJ and his case. It doesn't have any correlation with being religious or an atheist in my experience.

Last edited:

Common sense always goes out of the window when it comes to believing and talking crap about mj. Just shows how supposedly inteligent rational ppl are just as easy to brainwash as the rest

Back