BAD25 | Charts & Sales History

It seems that most (if not all) countries don't combine the sales.

i only know that the usa, ups i mean billboard, dont combine the sales. they are the only ones who cheating mj.
but i dont care about this ignorant assholes. :dont_mention_it:bad 25 was #10 in the usa. :clap:
its #37 this week.

According to mediatraffic Bad sold 47 000 copies in the second week (it's an unofficial estimate, not an official number). So that would make the total sales about 170 000 worldwide, according to mediatraffic estimates.

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums.htm

BAD25 has now dropped to #77 in the UK album chart!

Excluding Deluxe Collectors..and we still don't know whether or not mj.com sales were reported

MJ.COM sales were not reported.

Mediatraffic does not includes sales from MJ.com as it has no way to know what they are. It uses chart data from around the world to estimate sales figures based on chart positions (but also uses real sales figures if chart compilers release them). Since Sony/MJ.COM haven't released their sales figures to the chart compilers and BAD25 charts positions don't include MJ.COM sales then neither does mediatraffic.

Last edited:
Australia

Albums Chart - #30
Catalogue Albums Chart - #2
Music DVDs Chart - #4

^^ Wasn't it 173.000 last week?
It sold 123 000 copies last week (according to mediatraffic).

Mediatraffic does not includes sales from MJ.com as it has no way to know what they are. It uses chart data from around the world to estimate sales figures based on chart positions (but also uses real sales figures if chart compilers release them). Since Sony/MJ.COM haven't released their sales figures to the chart compilers and BAD25 charts positions don't include MJ.COM sales then neither does mediatraffic.
Do you have a source for the information that the mj.com sales weren't reported? I had a suspicion that they weren't reported, but that was just the impression I got, and not any official information, so it would be great to have actual confirmation on that.

Assuming that they didn't report the sales, I wonder why? It's not really in their best interest to make it appear that the album sold less than it actually did, is it? I don't get it.

BAD25 has now dropped to #77 in the UK album chart!

MJ.com does not report sales its a sony fan site _ but Sony music would certainly report its own sales

MyPlay Direct (sony) where the MJ purchases are made from would reports its sales to Neilson soundscan.
SoundScan is the sales source for the Billboard music charts, making it the official source of sales records in the music industry.

The deluxe collector's edition would count to the Bad25 numbers and the DVD sales, correct? As it was shipped from the U.S., does that number tally in the U.S. sales?

How does the different packages (Bad 2cd/Bad 3cd) figure into the mediatraffic sales number?

Thanks.

MJ.com does not report sales its a sony fan site _ but Sony music would certainly report its own sales

MyPlay Direct (sony) where the MJ purchases are made from would reports its sales to Neilson soundscan.
SoundScan is the sales source for the Billboard music charts, making it the official source of sales records in the music industry.

Soundscan is only the official source in the USA I believe. (it's definitely not the official source for the UK) Anyway, that's beside the point.

Yes, I understand that Sony should report sales to Soundscan in the USA, The Official Charts Company in UK etc but on chart forums there is a belief that the sales through Sony's official sites have not been reported. This was also the case with Thriller25, which obviously performed a lot better internationally than BAD25 and this issue was discussed during 2008 too. The conclusion was the T25 sales were not accurately reported. For BAD25 there seems to be a particular issue in the UK where according to a source at The Official Chart Company, they only counted approximately 100 copies of the 3CD/1VD version of BAD25 (1% of total BAD25 album sales in the UK). I guess it is possible that this is the correct figure, but it just feels wrong.
Read my rationale and see if you agree. BAD sold lots of copies 3 years ago when MJ died, this included sales to existing fans, new fans and general public. BAD25 is a product that appeals mainly to the fan base because the general public already have their copies of BAD or MJ greatest hits from 2009 (or before) and so they may not be particularly interested in BAD25. General public don't buy multiple versions of the same album very often - this is a known fact in the industry. Also, BAD25 wasn't well publicised in the UK so the fan base were the most aware that the product existed. Ok so with that logic, the current MJ fanbase is the most likely group of people to buy BAD25. Because the fanbase already has the album and songs in various forms (original album, 2001 verion, greatest hits etc), those people are amost likely to buy the 3CD/1DVD box set because of the packaging (this has been reflected in very poor sales via itunes in the UK and other countries), the unreleased tracks and the included DVD. With this logic it seems very strange that in the UK sales of the 3CD/1DVD box set were only 1% of the total sales. Only 100 copies sold. Does that seem correct to you?

Italy is Bad!

How are sales in the US, UK and Japan this week? I wish the Spike Lee doc would air already :(

do they have any marketing strategy??!

it really sucks.. they miss every big chance to get michael back on top worldwide!

When the Spike lee doc plays in theaters this month and is released on TV the sales will increase.
Plus halloween will bring increase sales of Thriller and BAd25 while they are in there getting their Thriller
Its not too late .. MJ songs always bouce back on the charts .. the fact #Ones is still in Top 100 says a lot ..

When the Spike lee doc plays in theaters this month and is released on TV the sales will increase.
Plus halloween will bring increase sales of Thriller and BAd25 while they are in there getting their Thriller
Its not too late .. MJ songs always bouce back on the charts .. the fact #Ones is still in Top 100 says a lot ..

It will be played in theaters??

Read my rationale and see if you agree. BAD sold lots of copies 3 years ago when MJ died, this included sales to existing fans, new fans and general public. BAD25 is a product that appeals mainly to the fan base because the general public already have their copies of BAD or MJ greatest hits from 2009 (or before) and so they may not be particularly interested in BAD25. General public don't buy multiple versions of the same album very often - this is a known fact in the industry. Also, BAD25 wasn't well publicised in the UK so the fan base were the most aware that the product existed. Ok so with that logic, the current MJ fanbase is the most likely group of people to buy BAD25. Because the fanbase already has the album and songs in various forms (original album, 2001 verion, greatest hits etc), those people are amost likely to buy the 3CD/1DVD box set because of the packaging (this has been reflected in very poor sales via itunes in the UK and other countries), the unreleased tracks and the included DVD. With this logic it seems very strange that in the UK sales of the 3CD/1DVD box set were only 1% of the total sales. Only 100 copies sold. Does that seem correct to you?
That makes sense to me. It's just very difficult to believe that the 3 CD+DVD edition sold only 100 copies in the UK. Either the number is just incorrect, or a lot of people bought their copy from mj.com, and those sales weren't reported.

Another thing that I found weird was that Immortal sold more in its first week than Bad25 (at least in the US, I don't remember how much Immortal sold worldwide). It just seems odd. I think fans have been much more excited about Bad25 than Immortal, so how did Immortal sell 42k in its first week, and Bad only 27k? I guess casual listeners could have bought a copy of Immortal because they wanted a greatest hits album, but would they have bought it in the first week? It just seems more likely to me that the mj.com sales weren't accurately reported. I could be totally wrong of course, but something about these numbers just seems weird.

Another thing that I found weird was that Immortal sold more in its first week than Bad25 (at least in the US, I don't remember how much Immortal sold worldwide). It just seems odd. I think fans have been much more excited about Bad25 than Immortal, so how did Immortal sell 42k in its first week, and Bad only 27k? I guess casual listeners could have bought a copy of Immortal because they wanted a greatest hits album, but would they have bought it in the first week? It just seems more likely to me that the mj.com sales weren't accurately reported. I could be totally wrong of course, but something about these numbers just seems weird.

As immortal was connected to the cirque show, i imagine people were buying it as a reminder of the show which is why it did well in the us as the cirque had only played there. Re uk, i hope they are using the 02 cirque to showcase bad25 in the merchandising section this week.

As immortal was connected to the cirque show, i imagine people were buying it as a reminder of the show which is why it did well in the us as the cirque had only played there. Re uk, i hope they are using the 02 cirque to showcase bad25 in the merchandising section this week.

I agree with you that people who've seen the show might want to buy the album as a reminder of the show, but I still think most of the 42 000 people who bought the Immortal album in its release week had to be fans, not just casual listeners who wanted a reminder of the Cirque show. IIRC the Immortal album was released pretty much at the same time as the US leg of the tour started, which means that not that many people had seen the show yet. People buying the album after seeing the show would mean that it sells a decent number of copies every week, but it wouldn't mean big first week sales IMO.

Although now that I think about it, I guess the Immortal album sales could have been higher simply because there was more buzz around the album because of the tour. And I don't remember any supply problems with the Immortal album. Maybe the general public was just more aware that there was a new MJ album out, and that explains the higher first week sales.

^ Agree, it is a bit of a puzzler. Just wiki-ed it and as you say immortal came out just weeks after beg of the immortal tour, thought it was later. I can't believe the general public were more aware of immortal than bad25, there was zilch promotion, apart from the actual show - although didn't american x factor have a prog showcasing immortal that mrs j and ppb attended. I can only assume it was excitement among the usa fan community for the cirque shows, they presold alot of tickets and nov 21 release for immortal coincided with black friday shopping day wouldn't it when all americans go out to shop. IDK.

Immortal was no 65 in the uk debut week, so at least bad25 did better there!

One question regarding the not reported mj.com-sales of Bad 25: is it to late to do that? Can Sony still report those sales at a later date and that way increase the chart position of the album?

I went to the show in London last night and I didn't see any copies of bad25 being sold or advertised.

Just FYI -
Beatles album catalog will get back to vinyl Nov. 13

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...lbum-catalog-reissue-20120927,0,4463869.story

http://www.spin.com/articles/the-beatles-remastered-lp-vinyl-reissue

Limited to 50,000 copies globally, the box will come with an LP-size, 252-page hardcover book by BBC producer Kevin Howlett.

The announcement had no information about list price for the albums, but Amazon has the box set priced at $399.99 for pre-order. Individual titles are likely to sell for $25 to $30 each.

Last edited:
Back