BAD25 | Charts & Sales History

Music Week

Bad sales 11,475

Already the UK's ninth biggest selling album, Michael Jackson's seminal 1987 album Bad re-enters the chart at number six (11,475 sales) following the release of a special 25th anniversary edition, that adds remixes, live tracks, foreign language versions and other rarities. Bad reached number nine in the wake of Jackson's death in 2009, and last made the Top 75 in the final week of that year. A 25th anniversary version of Thriller reached number three in 2008.

Music Week

11K doesn't sound like a lot. Is that normal for UK? Do we know how many copies #1 sold?

I can't say this enough, music industry is D-E-A-D.

ETA Apparently, I have been told 11K is quite good for UK today.

I repeat Music industry is DEAD.

11k would be enough for a #1, if it was released in August. Otherwise, this week's #1 (The Killers - Battle Born) debuted with 93,989 sales*.

* Highest sales for an artist album for 31 weeks, and the third highest weekly tally of 2012.

Music Week

Bad sales 11,475

Already the UK's ninth biggest selling album, Michael Jackson's seminal 1987 album Bad re-enters the chart at number six (11,475 sales) following the release of a special 25th anniversary edition, that adds remixes, live tracks, foreign language versions and other rarities. Bad reached number nine in the wake of Jackson's death in 2009, and last made the Top 75 in the final week of that year. A 25th anniversary version of Thriller reached number three in 2008.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this number include all the BAD 25 releases: stand-alone Wembley DVD, BAD 25 double CD and Deluxe?

I don't know where La-la land I was living, I was expecting BAD 25 sales to be in millions:D

I kind of understand that BAD 25 double cd not selling that much as many people bought it on 2009. I expect Wembley concert to sell truck loads by fans and non-fans, it is must see.

It just includes the Bad25 Album - that is what goes toward the sales of bad and the Album charts
theWembley DVD did chart also as #2 in UKTop 40 DVD

11k would be enough for a #1, if it was released in August. Otherwise, this week's #1 (The Killers - Battle Born) debuted with 93,989 sales*.

* Highest sales for an artist album for 31 weeks, and the third highest weekly tally of 2012.

Thank you.

This is all fascinating to me. I just read the Killers last album in 2008 debuted at #1 with 200K sale. And this week, they only sold 94K, further proof that music is dead.

If the album sold 11K in the UK alone, for sure it sold more than that in the US.

Last edited:
Which is it? Horakhty says double CD and Deluxe and Qbee says just album?

and lets not forget that US release date was about week later than UK release.
Hopefully it'll do well in US charts :praying:

Deluxe Boxset is selling the best at HMV followed by the DVD

Huh? UK was 09/17 US 09/18 One day after UK not a week.

CHART HISTORY:

I Just Can't Stop Loving You / Don't Be Messin' 'Round

United States
Hot Singles Sales
#1 (5,000) - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - #12 - #17

Spain
Physical Singles
#1 - #2 - #3 - #2 - #2- #2 - #2 - #4 - #4 - #2 - #5 - #3 - #5 - #4 - #5 - #5

Canada
Physical Singles
#1 - ?

Hungary
#6 - ?

Japan
Hot 100
#92 - ?

Oricon
#39 - ?

France
#64 - ?

Bad (Remix featuring Pitbull)

US
Billboard Hot Dance Club Play
#42 - #32

Billboard Dance/Electronic Digital Songs

Japan
Hot 100
#52 - #60 - #31

Hot 100 Airplay
#31 - #43 - #22

Adult Contemporary Airplay
#16 - #14 - #7

Austria
#45 - OUT

^I thought it was 17th?

Horakhty;3714347 said:

That was a really, really exceptional week. The average number to get no 1 in uk is over 100k.

I suppose i'm disappointed in the sales because i was comparing the album to thriller 25. That got 41k in debut week in uk to make no 3. But maybe that was unrealistic as mj was still here. He wasn't exactly doing the chatshow circuit but he was here, also it was thriller, no 1 of all time which creates its own hype. And maybe the fact T25 had hot new artists doing their thing on the release made it more commercially attractive. This bad package was def aimed at core fans with remixes kept to a minimum, untouched demos and wembley concert which made some of the constant griping hard to understand as the estate is def not going to pander to core fans again if it isn't as commercially successful and they still get negative feedback.

On the plus, i don't know what packages thriller25 had but the bad25 deluxe set seemed to be really popular and you have to sell alot of cds and downloads to get that type of £.

Last edited:
It depends which retailers they have counted sales from so far. We'll get a better picture tomorrow when they have the complete chart.

I probably stated that wrong what I meant is the other products with the CD1 are irrelavant as far as the charts go. its the CD1 album that charts. No matter what package its in. It counts as a sale if you buy it in the deluxe and its counts if you buy it in the standalone 2/cd BAd25 . I just worded that wrong

It depends which retailers they have counted sales from so far. We'll get a better picture tomorrow when they have the complete chart.
I'm not sure about this, but I've heard they start by counting the sales from smaller stores. If that's true, it's not that shocking that Bad is not in the top 50 yet. Most fans probably bought their copy from the bigger retailers, and smaller stores might not even have the album in stock because of the distribution problems.

Maybe they aren't including BAD25 on that list. It has to have sold more than 1,200 copies, even if only 32% are counted so far.

I agree. I will be so disappointed if they don't count BAD 25

From Vintage Vinyl News:
"Chart Watch Britain: Michael Jackson's 25th Anniversary Edition of Bad Debuts at 6
The 25th Anniversary Edition of Michael Jackson's Bad vaults onto the charts at number 6, giving him the biggest selling album by a veteran artist for the week. The original release went to number 1 in 1987, 38 in 2003 and 9 after his death in 2009"....
Here's the link:
http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2012/09/chart-watch-britain-michael-jackson.html

New predictions by HDD:

P!nk 250k
Muse 200k
Kanye West/G.O.O.D. 150k
Wiz Khalifa 150k
Michael Jackson Bad 25 140k
The Killers 125k
Ne-Yo 75
Carly Rae Jespen 75k
Easton Corbin 50k
Band of Horses 39k
Paul Simon 25k

The previous one (2 weeks ago):

Mumford & Sons (Glassnote) 400k
Wiz Khalifa (Atlantic) 250k
P!nk (RCA) 200k
G.O.O.D. Music Compilation (Def Jam/IDJ) 200k
No Doubt (Interscope) 175k
Michael Jackson, Bad – 25th Anniversary Edition (Legacy) 150k
Green Day (Reprise) 150k
Lupe Fiasco (Atlantic) 150k
The Killers (Island/ID J) 125k
Carly Rae Jepsen (Schoolboy/Interscope) 100k
Nelly Furtado (Geffen) 25k

So far, Sony's prediction for Pink seems to hold up nicely. Unless they really messed up or distribution was a disaster, hard to believe they could miss by such a large margin.

The 2 CD version seems to be available in all stores. But the boxset and the DVD are mostly out of stock.

Back