"Blue Gangsta" Original or Modern?

What's the leaked version of Blue Gangsta? This isn't the same one that leaked back when "Michael" came out, or do you guys mean "No Friend of Mine" that Tempamental released?:unsure:

The modern version sounds like the part from Heartbreaker when the beat changed for like 20 - 30 seconds, but was turned into a full song. Only reason I love the modern version more is because I've been listening to both the original rap version and the leak for years now. The new one is just a really good remix, imo.

What's the leaked version of Blue Gangsta? This isn't the same one that leaked back when "Michael" came out, or do you guys mean "No Friend of Mine" that Tempamental released?:unsure:

The version on Xscape is not quite the same as the one that leaked in 2010. It's hard to describe but the Xscape version is lacking the fuller instrumentation and is too 'clean'. That makes little sense so maybe an actual comparison is in order. Apologies if YouTube links aren't allowed.

http://youtu.be/X-TRzDSCyyc?t=49s - This is 2010 version's first bridge at 00:49. Note the backing chords that continue into the chorus and beyond. You might not notice them until they're missing.

http://youtu.be/vYGt2E2aq3o?t=49s - This is the Xscape Original version at the same 00:49 mark. In my opinion this isn't as good. It doesn't quite fill your ears and isn't as powerful as the 2010 version, particularly in the latter section of the song.

I hope that helps!

The leaked version of Blue Gangsta isn't the best. The remixed version either.
I like the original version

The version on Xscape is not quite the same as the one that leaked in 2010. It's hard to describe but the Xscape version is lacking the fuller instrumentation and is too 'clean'. That makes little sense so maybe an actual comparison is in order. Apologies if YouTube links aren't allowed.

http://youtu.be/X-TRzDSCyyc?t=49s - This is 2010 version's first bridge at 00:49. Note the backing chords that continue into the chorus and beyond. You might not notice them until they're missing.

http://youtu.be/vYGt2E2aq3o?t=49s - This is the Xscape Original version at the same 00:49 mark. In my opinion this isn't as good. It doesn't quite fill your ears and isn't as powerful as the 2010 version, particularly in the latter section of the song.

I hope that helps!

The 2010 version also had a longer instrumental bit near the end, after the "or make me wanna see you again" line. It loops once on the leak, but doesn't loop at all on the Xscape version.

To answer this topic's question, I prefer the leaked one. The modernized one has too many moments where there's like hardly any music behind Michael's vocals. I've noticed that some of the other modernized tracks have those quiet moments as well, and it's kind of a pet peeve of mine that those are there. It takes me out of the groove and makes me wish something was filling that gap. I hope that made sense... >.>

The 2010 version also had a longer instrumental bit near the end, after the "or make me wanna see you again" line. It loops once on the leak, but doesn't loop at all on the Xscape version.

Yeah that part is longer. I like it that way, there's a bigger build-up for the final section.

The modern new version is more cinematic and I really like that.

So I actually prefer the modern version. (at first I did not really like it much!) :lol:

The music in the original is so annoying. I love Timbalands version. Highlight of Xscape for me.

The Dave Luxe Trap Remix is great too.

My favorite is the Tempamental version that came out ages ago. That being said I love hearing the fully mastered "original" from the album. Really brings it to life.

I really don't like any of the contemporary versions of the songs on the album, except Love Never Felt So Good.

The Beat of the new version reminds me of the drum structure of Heartbreaker.

I thought no one liked Blue Gangsta? I like the new version. Love his vocals and love the beat they created around his voice.

The modern Blue Gangsta was well received on a lot of RnB websites from what I saw. A lot of people calling it a "smash".

The beginning of the 2014 version was great...but the original/2010 version is the best one. I would love to have a version that combines the beginning of the '14 version and then before the chorus begins, the 2010 version plays from that point on.

I like the original versions. I don't think the bass should have been taken out. I would have loved to see the music video Michael would have come up with for this song!

I didn't like the song when it leaked to be honest, i'm sry...

...But now i love Blue Gangsta!! :D the beat is great and makes it feel so dramatic ;) big thanks to Timbaland.

The original version feels a little bit 'empty'. It is clearly a demo.
Timbaland did a great job on this song only by hearing the acapella.

But the 2010 leak mix for MICHAEL it is the best one for me. Combined with the ending from Timbaland's version it would be perfect!
Hoping for an officially release of the leak. :chillin:

The leaked 2010 version is the best for me. The fuller sound really makes a difference.

The modern version is almost A Cappella on the verses and then too busy during the choruses. It's probably my least favourite modern version on Xscape.
Do you know where I can find the 2010 version? thanks! :)

Whoever did the 2010 leaked version deserves a medal, as far as I'm concerned. It sounds exactly like the demo, but there's much more pulse in the instrumentation. Much more effective than the demo.

Timbaland's version has wonderful verses, but then the choruses turn into standard trap-hop nonsense that completely puts a halt to the momentum. Disappointing, to say the least, and definitely the biggest misfire on XSCAPE.

For the sake of the thread, I'll say the demo.

Something that never added up was that the leaked version from 2007/06 with(and without) the rapper tempremental has the same instrumentation as the "2010" version, which is why I believe that they didn't touch the original demo for the Michael album.*

As for the question, Timbaland's version started out sooo epic. I remember getting goosebumps over the intro and the verses but when it finally made it's way to the chorus it just became to anticlimatic. Too much going on in the choruses. The "2010" version is my favorite.

Last edited:
Something that never added up was that the leaked version from 2007/06 with(and without) the rapper tempremental has the same instrumentation as the "2010" version, which is why I believe that they didn't touch the original demo for the Michael album.*

I've always just figured that the 2010 version was a mix done in Michael's lifetime, and the one issued on XSCAPE is an earlier one.

Whoever did the 2010 leaked version deserves a medal, as far as I'm concerned. It sounds exactly like the demo, but there's much more pulse in the instrumentation. Much more effective than the demo.

Timbaland's version has wonderful verses, but then the choruses turn into standard trap-hop nonsense that completely puts a halt to the momentum. Disappointing, to say the least, and definitely the biggest misfire on XSCAPE.

For the sake of the thread, I'll say the demo.

The demo was just finished for the 2010 release of the 'Michael' album, meaning they took the demo multitracks and refined it a little more, to give it more of a pristine production sound. The 2014 version just doesn't sound right at all.

Back