"Blue Gangsta" Original or Modern?

Yes, that can definitely be the case :) Btw I'm really curious about how it leaked back in 07

I remember Dr. Freeze put out an interview back in '11 where he said he had no idea how they got a hold of it, but that he wasn't involved. Very interesting, to say the least!

The demo was just finished for the 2010 release of the 'Michael' album, meaning they took the demo multitracks and refined it a little more, to give it more of a pristine production sound.

But as Themidwestcowboy pointed out, the 2007 remix by Tempamental/Pras (No Friend of Mine) features the 2010 leaked instrumentation, which means that it must have been produced long before Michael passed.

So the 2010 leak might actually be it's final state before Michael died? If so makes me wonder why they put a worse sounding version on Xscape.

So the 2010 leak might actually be it's final state before Michael died? If so makes me wonder why they put a worse sounding version on Xscape.

That's the theory I'm going with.

The demos on XSCAPE are the original versions that Michael worked on. Odds are the one included on the album is one of the earliest mixes.

New version all the way. Never was a fan of the original version.

And I agree that 2010 LEAK (not version!) sounds better than the released one. But it has to be just another mix done in 1998 (as MJ never worked on it after). MJ and Freeze probably did numerous mixes in 1998. And to me 2010 leak sounds more refined and newer.

But I'm glad they released different version of the original. They knew that we already have the leak, so they gave us something different.

Yeah, I agree. We should probably stop calling it the 2010 version! I disagree about not putting it on Xscape though. It's a better version of the song so it should be on there (even though we already have it). It's not different enough to warrant putting it there, it's just... worse.

People will generally favor the first version they hear of any song,, most of the time that's how it works.. Simple! However I do like being able to hear MJs voice clear, almost acapella.. That I appreciate!

Am i the only one who loves the new version? Never liked the song before i heard it again on Xscape ;)
i think timbaland did an amazing Job.
Love the change between "acapella" and the very powerful parts

I think the new version of Blue Gangster is the biggest mis-step on an otherwise well executed album. It just doesn't sound like something Michael would've dug. He liked hard, pronounced, percussive beats... not the shitty trip-hop dirge Tim put all over BG.

Both. I would listen to the modern version before the original. the original sounds something like salsa. it reminds me of YRMW. which i wonder if that was Michael was gonna with before even doing YRMW. maybe the pre YRMW? that's how I see it.

it would been interesting what he was going for this. this probably was smooth criminal squeal or yrmw prequel.

Both. I would listen to the modern version before the original. the original sounds something like salsa. it reminds me of YRMW. which i wonder if that was Michael was gonna with before even doing YRMW. maybe the pre YRMW? that's how I see it.

it would been interesting what he was going for this. this probably was smooth criminal squeal or yrmw prequel.

It was definitely recorded before Rodney Jerkins presented him You Rock My World in 1999.
Michael recorded Blue Gangsta in late 1998 at the Record Plant.

Definitely the original version. The modern version is good, but they messed up the production during the chorus of the Xscape version. That really annoys me, so I only listen to the original version, which is an underrated gem. Michael's vocals on BG are simply beautiful and I wish he released it on Invincible.

A small deviation but the 2010 mix of Do You Know Where Your Children are is the perfect example of how you "contemporize" a song while still keeping it true to the original version. Timbaland's version of DYKWYCA is pure cacophony imo.

The original has an element of drama that makes it special. I wish he explored the big band sound deeper on the track, make it more prominent. It's a really cool sound.

A small deviation but the 2010 mix of Do You Know Where Your Children are is the perfect example of how you "contemporize" a song while still keeping it true to the original version. Timbaland's version of DYKWYCA is pure cacophony imo.

2010 version of DYKWYCA is my favourite version of the song. That should have been released on Xscape instead of the disastrous Timbaland version.

The original has an element of drama that makes it special. I wish he explored the big band sound deeper on the track, make it more prominent. It's a really cool sound.

You know Michael actually want it to do more orchestra versions of his songs before he die. :)

You know Michael actually want it to do more orchestra versions of his songs before he die. :)

I didn't know that but it doesn't surprise me, he grew up with so many influences from rock to soul to funk to classic. It's only natural he wanted to explore different directions. I think if his classical album (that he was working on) had been well received he'd try different things more often. I honestly always waited for MJ to take a side step from pop music.

I didn't know that but it doesn't surprise me, he grew up with so many influences from rock to soul to funk to classic. It's only natural he wanted to explore different directions. I think if his classical album (that he was working on) had been well received he'd try different things more often. I honestly always waited for MJ to take a side step from pop music.

He was gonna do it anyway. he was already doing it when he was alive. the this is it orchestra version is pretty good. if you haven't heard it yet. Michael left us too soon before he could do anything. but i'm am happy what he did give us. Michael could of done any genre he want it to be honest. that's how talented he was.

MJ's Estate could team up with Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and release an album featuring orchestral recordings of Michael's classic songs. That is what Elvis' estate have done in recent years.

Last edited:
MJ's Estate could team up with Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and release an album featuring orchestral recordings of Michael's classic songs. That is what Elvis' estate have done in recent years.

I love that idea. i been thinking about them doing like an jazz album or something with his songs. :D

Just heard Blue Gangsta - the original version and the new version.

They are both great. - A shame not many knows the song.

I always prefer original versions, even though they're demos. I think Michael's songs should be kept as they are, although imperfect. I don't like neither remixes nor "modernizations" because they'd become others' works, not Michael's.

Just heard Blue Gangsta - the original version and the new version.

They are both great. - A shame not many knows the song.

That's crazy. i'm pretty sure people do know about this song if they heard Xscape. if not they living under a rock. yesterday i saw that the new one has million views on it. so i'm pretty sure people know about this song.

I always prefer original versions, even though they're demos. I think Michael's songs should be kept as they are, although imperfect. I don't like neither remixes nor "modernizations" because they'd become others' works, not Michael's.

I agree with this. i feel they should be left alone because that was Michael wishes. i guess fans are just want new music. which is understandable. though i also feel we should respect Michael wishes.

whatever we do we will never know what Michael actually had plan for these songs. i said that already in two threads now. through it's good to imagination what he probably would of go for. :)

That's crazy. i'm pretty sure people do know about this song if they heard Xscape. if not they living under a rock. yesterday i saw that the new one has million views on it. so i'm pretty sure people know about this song.

I agree with this. i feel they should be left alone because that was Michael wishes. i guess fans are just want new music. which is understandable. though i also feel we should respect Michael wishes.

whatever we do we will never know what Michael actually had plan for these songs. i said that already in two threads now. through it's good to imagination what he probably would of go for. :)

Try to ask your friends - that are NOT MJ FANS. - I doubt they know Blue Gangsta. Unfortunately.

Such a great song. - Both versions really.

Try to ask your friends - that are NOT MJ FANS. - I doubt they know Blue Gangsta. Unfortunately.

Such a great song. - Both versions really.

lol. I meant MJ fans not non MJ fans. and yeah i like both too. but i would listen to the new one before the original. but both of them are good. :)

Michael made so many songs i bet non fans don't realize some songs they like were from him until they look it up. lol! trust me i'm pretty sure non fans like at least a few songs from Michael. whatever they old or new. :laughing: we call them causal MJ fans.

Still love this well made Dave Luxe remix. Should have gotten an official release.

That was pretty good. it's sounds even more modern. i bet if someone heard this they wouldn't realize that this is Michael LOL! :laughing:

Back