Hot topic Brad Sundberg Seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

Re: Brad Sundberg seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

Uou! Thanks for This!

Make a photo of your pdf file ticket on your smartphone and bring it to Brad ;-)

Did anyone attend the seminar this past weekend?

I was able to attend ITSWMJ last February in NY. I loved it! I must say Brad and his daughter are wonderful and heartwarming! But I really must say that Michael fans are the best in the world! I'm hoping he will return to NY again soon! Who knows maybe I'll travel a bit to see another!

Greetings - Please forgive my delay since the last post - I think February was one long full moon! I am back and ready to dive back into the studio, albeit our virtual FB version.
Welcome to our new "Likes" - we are almost at 9000! Thank you so much for spreading the word about "In The Studio."
Before I get to my story, let me bring you up to speed on some news. MJU is in full planning mode, and the confirmed guest list is growing. I don't want to share it just yet, but the team who has committed comprises an amazing group of talents, and I think you will be pleased.
MJU (June 20th - June 23rd, 2016, Hollywood, CA) will be an amazing experience for everyone. Four days, each a very different theme:
Day 1 - In The Studio With MJ - the full seminar. A blend of new stories and segments, mixed with some of Brad's favorites.
Day 2 - The Early Years. Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad. Hear from some of the engineers, songwriters and production team that brought these projects to life.
Day 3 - On Tour With Michael. Learn about life on the road from some of the musicians and team members who brought the Bad, Dangerous and HIStory tours to cities all over the planet.
Day 4 - The Later Years. Dangerous. HIStory. Invincible. BOTDF. Again - hear from the musicians and production teams involved.
I am working on a few other very cool segments - stay tuned! Tickets are on sale now.
OK, as promised -

Trump Tower - 1994.
Yes, I have shared this story before.
No, it is not political in any way - just a familiar address.
As many of you already know, the HIStory album was the first full MJ album we recorded in New York. Immediately after the tragic Northridge earthquake of January 17, 1994, Michael made the decision to move the production team to the Hit Factory on West 54th Street in Midtown, and escape the shaky ground of LA for a while.
The team wasn't really that big - I think there were maybe nine or ten of us (not counting Bill Bray and MJ's security team) early in the project, with a couple more additions through the year. We were in New York for the better part of 1994, with some post-album work lasting until April of 1995.
For most of us, including Michael, we moved into the New York Palace. Leather jackets and blue jeans sharing elevators with mink coats and snobbish society folks. But it was home - at least for most of us.
But room service and hotel rules get to be tiring for anyone. (I remember missing being able to cook even a simple bowl of soup after weeks of living in a hotel!) So sometime in late spring Michael decided it would be a good idea to get married and move into a proper apartment. So he packed his suitcase and moved into the top of Trump Tower. You may or may not know this (I didn't before my first visit), but the top of Trump Tower has two massive penthouses - each three stories high, with balconies and luxury beyond description. Donald lived in one, and Michael became his across-the-hall neighbor. (Funny to think about them borrowing sugar and such in their bathrobes.)
Anyway, Michael didn't consult me on any wedding planning, but he did ask me to build him a dance studio in his new digs. So I went over and checked the place out. Michael was not a notoriously neat house-keeper, but I looked past all of that.
The dance room was actually a small corner bedroom in the apartment with a portable wooden floor already installed. It just needed music. We purchased a pair of massive Westlake Audio monitors (I think they were the BBSM-12 models, which are huge), and brought them into the suite, along with power amps, cables, stands, etc.
We set the speakers up in such a way that they were in front of the windows, so Michael could face out and see New York as he danced. We ran cables, got the speakers on their stands (not the stands in the photo), and fired the system up. It was loud. Like crazy loud. Like "hurt me!!" loud. It was perfect. Until...
I don't think I was facing the speaker when it happened, but I heard the stand slip, and then I watched that massive 220lb speaker fall backwards into the floor-to-ceiling window of Trump Tower. My blood actually went cold as I pictured in my mind the speaker crashing through the glass down 650' to destroy a cab on the street below.
The speaker hit the glass with a rattling thud, but then it just slid to the floor. Fortunately people far smarter than me design glass for skyscrapers to be strong enough to take the hit of Michael Jackson's personal stereo. All jokes aside, I was shaking for several seconds after that speaker fell.
We found some stronger stands and rebuilt the amazing sound system, and Michael never knew the story. Some things are better left unsaid.
See you in LA in June - Keep The Faith!

Brad

https://www.facebook.com/inthestudiowithmj/posts/533393103501255

Here is his Q&A that Brad had with fans on April 21. Some cute stories there.

Diana Riverjackson I want to know what kind of pranks he pulled on people and what was the most emotional recording he ever did?

A - Pranks. The “standard” pranks would be putting candy all over Buxer’s keyboard, or on the console in front of Bruce. He was very respectful of the studios and all the gear, so he never got too crazy. That said, we had a bunch of paparazzi hanging around Hit Factory soon after he married Lisa Marie in ’94, and he sent out for a bunch of water balloons and start chucking them out of the 6th floor window at them. When NYPD showed up I “encouraged” Michael that it might be a good time to stop and get back into his lounge.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson One more quick thought - we were BIG into popcorn during the Bad project. It's not really a "prank", but Michael would throw a lot of popcorn at guests, friends, engineers, etc. Crazy mess for the studio crew to clean up!

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Brandy Peacock - Who won that jenga game you guys were playing?

A - The Jenga photo. Record One was like a big house with a full kitchen, living room, fireplace, etc. We would play games, cook, read, etc., when we weren’t working. He would be mad at me for tell you this, but I won this match! He was SO competitive and hated to lose – for real – it really bugged him. I laughed and he yelled at himself. I think he won the next few matches…

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Evan Young - What were the craziest lengths you had to go to to satisfy one of Michael's requests, either on a studio project or a Neverland projekt?

A -Tough question, I like it. Some of the techie stuff on Dangerous was crazy – Jam I think was 180 tracks to mix. We actually linked two studios (SSLs) and 4 x Sony 48 track machines together for that song – it was nuts. Bruce ran up and down the hallway mixing in two rooms at the same time! Michael was likely in his lounge watching 3 Stooges. There are so many Ranch stories, but the system that we built for the Ornate gate was astounding. I think we were pushing more than 20,000 watts (10x more than the song title!), just for gate music. His instructions to me were – “make it loud enough to shake a bus!” It was.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Stepfan Holley - How often would Michael (if any) randomly sing someone else's song and what was your reaction to it?

A - Good question. He would sometimes hum/sing older J5 stuff, Motown songs, etc. He would beatbox a lot… always thinking of new ideas. It was so common that we wouldn’t really ask if it was a new song, we just waited for him to ask for a fresh piece of tape. I don’t really remember him singing current “Top 10” stuff – but we would make him tapes of the Top 10 songs (pop, dance, R&B) for him to listen to. We did this for years…

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Fred Nichols How many songs were actually finished and ready to go for the BAD sessions? It's been said that BAD was going to be a 3 album set with 33 songs. Is this really true? If so, where are the songs? Why have they not released BAD the way Michael originally intended?
A – Hmmm, I’ve never heard of it being 3 albums. That would go against Quincy’s style pretty strongly. That said, we worked on perhaps 70 songs for Bad to some degree. There were a lot – A LOT – of demos that got sent in from all over the world, and crazy numbers have been floated around, but I would estimate that 60-70 got some level of treatment from Quincy and Bruce.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson @Sandra Digit Rhodes In the studio when michael spoke was his voice ALOT Deeper than when out in public? And how many times a day did he order KFC?
A – So many opinions and theories… His voice was very soft and natural – with a bit of a “country” sing-song feel. He would giggle a lot when he was comfortable. I have heard the DEEP voice when he is talking to the press or somewhere, and it always sounded odd, a bit of an act maybe?
A – KFC. I know he loved it, but not very often. We make our own wings during the Dangerous project for a long time, as hot as we could make them, and he would tear into them! He loved McDonald’s too once in a while… don’t we all? : )

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Sandra Turnbull - Any evidence that he damaged his ears with all that LOUD listening?!
A- Great question. He listened loud – like really, really loud. However, in the years that I worked with him (1984 through around 2003) I never really noticed him leaning in to hear, but I think he was a pretty good lip-reader. Also – this is just my opinion – but I actually think loud studio monitors, which are very low in distortion, are far less damaging then cheap ear-buds. Also, he would listen loud for a few minutes to hear a mix, then he would disappear into his lounge. It wasn’t 18 hours of continuous loud music.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Arsen Madinov - How many unreleased songs have you recorded with Michael? And which song of Michael is you favorite?
A – Many. He recorded all the time, some great songs and some not-so-great. My fav songs? In particular order and ignoring whether or not they have been released – a few tops would be; Human Nature, Streetwalker, Will You Be There, Someone Put Your Hand Out, Stranger In Moscow, Smooth, TWYMMF, Give In To Me, Who Is It, Willing and Waiting, If You Don’t Love Me.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Stepfan Holley What kind of impact did Michael have on your personal life? A - Great Question! Tough to answer in a short response, but I think I will go with Patience. Michael was remarkably patient, and taught me to relax under the pressure of a studio . We always took our jobs very seriously (most of the time!), but if something failed, he was very patient, no ego or temper. Great quality, and I learned from it.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Belinda O. How many hours Michael worked in the studio? Did he have a routine when he worked in the studio or was everytime he was in the studio different? - A - Great question! We USUALLY worked from 12 noon to about 9 or 10 at night, but not always. During vocals and mixing we sometimes worked later. He would not sing every day, rather he would monitor the various studios, offer ideas, or just hang out with us during recording.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Jenny Lovern What was his favorite (or tops) songs he recorded? What was his favorite instrument to mimic? How did he mentally prepare before recording? (I'd love to kno as a learning vocalist) A - I don't know his favorite song to record, but I do know that songs like "Gone Too Soon" and "Will You Be There" were very emotionally draining and his performances were legit and amazing. As to mimicing an instrument, he could beat-box better than anyone I have ever heard, and he could "sing" guitar parts, bass parts, keyboard sounds, etc., for the musicians to get ideas and his direction for a song.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Makgame Pro What MJ song surprised you the most when he sang it? What is your favorite MJ's album era? Is it during Bad, Dangerous, or HIStory? What was it like working on the song "Morphine" if you was there on that project? A - Great questions, let me jump on them quickly. Oddly enough, I think you answered it yourself - I would "Morphine" surprised everyone, including me! I really love the song, but wow... it's not what anyone might expect. It was dark and very NIN-esk, and he wanted to push the boundries pretty hard on that one. Favorite album era? They were all so different and fun/special in their own, but I always go with Dangerous.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Rosetta Durham - Michael seemed to have a facility for singing in foreign languages, and seemed to enjoy it (from TII film footage). Were there any songs considered for translation to other languages but never made it, or were recorded but not released? - A - I don't know about the later years, but during Bad I helped record the Spanish and French of IJCSLY, which was a bit of a mess. The French translation, so I am told, is not correct. But - Michael enjoyed doing them and I think he wanted to do something for his fans from other parts of the world. Just my opinion...

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Sandra Turnbull Any idea why Michael never built a permanent studio at Neverland? - A - Great great question. I discussed a studio at Neverland with Michael many times, and always cautioned against it. A "real" studio (especially back then) is a terrible investment, requires a ton of maintenance, and never works as well as a commercial studio. i even encouraged him to rent a recording truck (Le Mobile or Record Plant) if he really wanted to record at Neverland, but then send it away so he could have his home back. In the later years with Buxer and Michael Prince, they DID turn the dance studio into a very functional studio, but more of a writing/production room.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Stacie Naab Are you like me in hoping that someone in the music industry buys Neverland? My husband was worried,I told him that if we won the past large powerball I was buying Neverland hands down. - A - I have mixed feelings about the future of Neverland - it will never be the same without Michael, and trying to "recreate" it would be challenging. Dumb as it may sound, I almost think it is best to be left as a memory and photos. Funny thing - Even during it's peak Neverland always "felt" different when Michael was away. When he drove through the gates it always felt like the ranch came back to life.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Helena Berglind Hi, Brad. These are questions from myself as well as from two other fans who are dear friends of mine... Do you have any interesting stories from the recording of the song In The Closet? What was the set up and was Michael embarrassed ? - A - It was pretty funny on songs like that (that one in particular) where he could sing some pretty "interesting" lyrics, groans, etc., and then just laugh it off. We didn't really evaluate lyrical content, he just sang the songs and we might tease him a bit, but not much - it was his show. And no.. he was not embarrassed...

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Joyce Frame Michael used the name Suzie in several song lyrics. Was it just a name that he liked for the lyrical sound and quality or did he ever give any other reason for the use of Suzie in these different lyrics? Which do you think Michael enjoyed more...creating the music or the lyrics for a song, or did it depend on the song itself? - A - Suzie (or Susie) - Not something we ever discussed as to why he liked that name, so - I don't know. 2nd question - good question. I don't know for sure, but he LOVED when a great groove grew into a killer song. The music was very powerful for him, and it showed in his response. Not trying to sound weird, but he didn't dance to words, he danced to music. I think he knew the power of the lyrics for the listener, but it was the groove that had to grab people first. Just my opinion...

In The Studio With Michael Jackson June Jackson - I have heard that when HIStory album was completed Michael cried after giving a preview to people of Sony because they gave no react. Is it true? Do you know something about it? - A - I've heard that story also, but I wasn't there. I WAS at the playback party for CBS/Epic for Bad... and there was no one crying that day - they all but danced on the tables.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Stepfan Holley With everyone in his family creating and releasing music how would Michael critique them? Same with music in general, would he listen to a song like (I Will Always Love You by Whitney) and say I would change this or I would have sung it like that? - A - (It's a trap!! Beware!!) Kidding... I think he was very supportive of his family's music projects. He was very competitive in everything he did, so he wanted his music to be better than anyone else's - family or otherwise.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Artiom Kozlov In moments when Michael felt really down and hopeless - how did he restore his faith? How did he find strength to carry on and not lose faith? - A - Great question, and you won't like my answer, but I don't know. He was, arguably, the most bullied man on the planet. The most. Yet he got up every day and carried on... with a smile. He was remarkably strong.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Brandy Peacock Was there a story behind the song Little Susie? Its such a beautiful and brilliantly written composition. Did he ever mention meaning behind it? It's so different than almost anything he had done before, musically. - A - Love that song Brandy. I didn't know this until a few years ago, but according to Brad Buxer it is about the Holocaust. It was very heavy and beautiful. In fact, I love the flow of that portion of the album, starting at 2Bad, HIStory, Little Susie and Smile. It need to be heard in a dark studio or room, in the order that Michael wanted. It's very theatrical and beautiful.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Yevgeny J Potapov Thank you very much for this Q&A.
I have a few questions:
1. When Michael wasn't satisfied with his performance - what would he do? A - He would do it again. And again. And again. He was a perfectionist.
2. What would you two really talk about? What are YOUR heartfelt moments and memories about Michael? A - We talked about Disney, family, travel, youth, music, everything. He was very curious.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Blues Away I remember one of your memories of Neverland and I wonder if Michael spent much time there all alone, I mean alone without friends, family... nobody else with him during day and night. Did he talk with you about feeling lonely in Neverland? Also, what did use to do during break time in the studio? Was he shy or talkative and relaxed in the family fridays? Thank you very much, Brad - A - He would be at Neverland "alone", sort of - but there was always staff. Usually he had friends or family around, but there were many times when I would be up there and it was just him puttering around in his Batman golf cart. Truthfully we never had any talks about loneliness, he was too busy laughing the throwing popcorn at me. He was always relaxed in the studio - not just on Fridays!

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Daria Korablina Brad, I'm really sorry, but I wanna ask one more question:) Were there times when Lisa came into the studio to spend time with Michael? What did they do together? Maybe Lisa gave some advises to Michael or she never was interested in the recording process? - A - No need for sorry! Lisa was awesome, very funny, very comfortable and very much into Michael. They laughed and called each other silly names, like a pair of Jr. Highers. She didn't really contribute to the recording process, she just sat on his lap... so maybe in some ways she did. : )

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Last question for this evening - Toni Arias Why the Speed Demon fade out was fused with Liberian Girl intro on Bad album? - A - Bruce wanted as few fade-outs as possible, he wanted interesting endings to most of the songs, not fades. I can't speak for him, but I know that Speed Demon and Liberian were so different (and in the order that Michael, Quincy and Bruce chose) that it just felt right to cross-fade them the way he did. It took a bit of studio magic to get it just right, but I think it makes that transition a lot more interesting for the listener.

https://www.facebook.com/inthestudi...8278317346071/557253567781875/?type=3&theater

^ I never heard about a song called Willing and Waiting. I wonder what it sounds like.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Arsen Madinov - How many unreleased songs have you recorded with Michael? And which song of Michael is you favorite?
A – Many. He recorded all the time, some great songs and some not-so-great. My fav songs? In particular order and ignoring whether or not they have been released – a few tops would be; Human Nature, Streetwalker, Will You Be There, Someone Put Your Hand Out, Stranger In Moscow, Smooth, TWYMMF, Give In To Me, Who Is It, Willing and Waiting, If You Don’t Love Me.

Little Susie is about the holocaust? That piece of information is very interesting!

Little Susie is about the holocaust? That piece of information is very interesting!
It's very interesting-that hit me right off the bat too.
Every time I hear Little Susie, I imagine some black and white scene something like that village in the Great Dictator-Sometimes the song reminds me of the depressing parts of Fiddler on the Roof-sometimes the music is reminds me of Holocaust documentaries. But I just figured it was all in my head-since it's about child abuse.

Now seeing that might have been intentional-that explains a lot-and probably the reason I really hate the song.

Don't you just love how Brad snuck Willing and Waiting in like that. I'd love to hear more about that. I can't wait to go to MJU this June!!!

It's very interesting-that hit me right off the bat too.
Every time I hear Little Susie, I imagine some black and white scene something like that village in the Great Dictator-Sometimes the song reminds me of the depressing parts of Fiddler on the Roof-sometimes the music is reminds me of Holocaust documentaries. But I just figured it was all in my head-since it's about child abuse.

Now seeing that might have been intentional-that explains a lot-and probably the reason I really hate the song.

Maybe the Fiddler on the Roof sample in the song is not a coincidence.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson Brandy Peacock - Who won that jenga game you guys were playing?

A - The Jenga photo. Record One was like a big house with a full kitchen, living room, fireplace, etc. We would play games, cook, read, etc., when we weren’t working. He would be mad at me for tell you this, but I won this match! He was SO competitive and hated to lose – for real – it really bugged him. I laughed and he yelled at himself. I think he won the next few matches…

Here is that pic of Michael and Brad playing jenga. I am sure most of you know it already, but it is so cute it is worth reposting. :p

13076982_560138500826715_4903338176367667073_n.jpg

Greetings Everyone!
The clock is ticking down to MJU in less than three weeks... what have I done?
I added another old friend of mine to the guest line-up for Tuesday - the early years. Craig Huxley was friends with Michael from the age of 10. The two of them grew up together in Encino, and Craig went on to work with him on many of the solo projects. He brings a wealth of information and experiences to the table, and I know you are going to enjoy getting to know him.

Craig is an amazing musician, engineer and producer. He was worked with countless legends in the music industry, but we will be focusing on those early solo years with Craig, particularly Off The Wall and Thriller.
There are two things about MJU that make me nervous. OK, maybe more than two, but primarily these two things: Not having enough time in the studio, and people not hearing about it or not buying a ticket until it is too late.

I love hosting these types of events - and this is the biggest we have ever attempted - but they take an enormous amount of time and effort to pull off. Don't let this chance to spend four days learning and laughing with some of Michael's musical inner-circle pass you by.
Tickets are on sale now at www.inthestudiowithmj.com
Class is in session... Will You Be There?
?#?4daysofmj?

http://inthestudiowithmj.com/mju-los-angeles/

This would def. be fun to go to!! I hope they record it and do some type of podcast from it...

I notice on Brad's website, in the coming soon section, he notes Dublin's event will be October 7/8.

Can anyone tell me if that's confirmed or just a rough idea of when he's likely to do it?

I'm planning on travelling over from Scotland for it but don't want to make travel plans until I know for sure.

Your best bet to contact him is via his In The Studio With MJ page or Studio Rats Group on Facebook? Or Twitter (but I don't use that so I assume that's true too :p ) I went to MJU and honestly you won't regret going. Usually he'll take a bit to set an exact date, but once he finalizes the studio, he won't change the date? Might change the time (I think he did that for the NYC one he just did) but not the date. Have fun :D

^Thanks for the advice. Have reached out to him on Twitter.

Theres a f.b group for the dublin event with contact to brad and theres no confirmation on there

Brad just confirmed the Dublin date has changed form the 7th-8th of October (Friday/Saturday) to the 4th-5th October (Tuesday/Wednesday).

Essentially, this caters only to fans in Dublin. Really annoyed and disappointed with this. Managed to swing a half day for the friday, but taking 2 days off to attend midweek is absolutely out of the question. The price is pretty expensive to begin with, but I am not taking unpaid leave to attend.

Brad needs at least 30 people to attend for it to go ahead, so this will definitely affect that number.

Really disappointing.

^^that is disappointing. You'd think they'd always be on weekends. Most people have to turn in vac requests at the beginning of the year too and these are too spontaneous for that.

Hes doing other places aswell so guess it had to be done around that. How about looking at London dates? a heck of alot of ppl work shifts nowadays aswell.

His website still says the 7th-8th. Unfortunately London isn;t an option, I am in Lisbon that weekend.

Can't win em all, but when I had managed to arrange time off work for the 7th I am now pretty damn disappointed the dates have changed.

Hes doing other places aswell so guess it had to be done around that. How about looking at London dates? a heck of alot of ppl work shifts nowadays aswell.

I'm one of them so midweek actually suits me better.

Where did he confirm the dates have changed? Could it be cancelled if he doesn't get the numbers? I wouldn't want to book flights over to find it's been cancelled...

I'm one of them so midweek actually suits me better.

Where did he confirm the dates have changed? Could it be cancelled if he doesn't get the numbers? I wouldn't want to book flights over to find it's been cancelled...

Confirmed on the facebook page, but the site says 7/8 still. Quite chaotic

Confirmed on the facebook page, but the site says 7/8 still. Quite chaotic

I see that. And there's no link to purchase tickets for it either. I'll hold off for now. Do you by any chance know if ticket sales are so poor he'd pull the plug? Would be a nightmare travelling over especially for this for it then to be cancelled. Sorry to hear you can't make it.

Back