Chimp Expert Jane Goodall -- Bubbles Was Beaten On Michael Jackson's Watch

Í think it´s wrong to have exotic animals for pets but in the 60s you could buy your own lion at Harrods.
We know better today but private owners still have tigers and lions in cages in the garden today and probably chimps too.
Chimps who were taken from their mothers and family when they were babies- and the families were killed just to get the babies.

Bubbles came from a laboratory-I think animaltesting is wrong-and you can´t release chimps who were born in captivity or spent most of their lifes there.
I see Neverland like kind of a sanctuary, the animals were treated good and had space.As far as I know the animals weren´t caught in the wild.
There are so much needs to be done to help chimps so why is she blaming Michael for something he didn´t do?
She should be busy with more important things.

Michael loved animals and children and he helped both.

Anyway to me the greatest disasters, pain, & suffering in the world today impact humans, so I am glad Michael did help the children as much as he could during his lifetime. I am happy that Jane helped the world understand chimps, but I refuse to believe Michael allowed anyone to brutalize his pet.

Mist you don't think people should have exotic animals as pets, but many people have exotic birds as pets and I can't see the birds suffering. Of course I never asked the birds, and I did not spend years staring at them and watching their reproductive behavior. Some people live in tropical parts of the world and have some exotic birds as pets near their house. I feel exotic pets are ok within reason. Now if you are talking about a lion, tiger, elephant living in someone's house in a cosmopolitan city, away from forestland and animals like themselves then that is another thing. This animal situation is a big issue. If wild animals should not be confined or dressed, then should wild animals be in a zoo or even in a circus with shiny wraps on their backs. I went to the Bronx zoo and 2 brown bears were playing in a tiny "pond" splashing each other with water. However, wouldn't those bears like to be in the wild in a river and splash themselves and their friends? I see great danes and those big dogs that are 3/4 the size of a pony in the city. Now I think those dogs should be in houses with surrounding land where they can run around, but a lot of people disagree, so likes and what we thing is the right way/procedure for animals is a big debate. Then, what is the purpose of animals? Should we leave them all where they came from and just take trips to lands & the interior with the chance we will see one of them. You know like they stay in their place and we stay in ours?

Last edited:
What is wrong with people? I hope people in general will use their intelligence and see what is going on here. You say nice things when he dies and then now he is an evil person? Give me a break.

Michael treated Bubbles like his child. Michael wouldn't let someone kill a bug when he was on stage. It's on youtube! Michael was abused as a child so much that he was scared of his father as an adult. He would not harm anyone period. If anything Michael had to be careful around him from what I understand. This whole thing is ridiculous.

I don't want to upset anyone, but here is a report on what HARVARD research labs did to some primates. Thanks to PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine) Harvard agreed to end its research program. Now this is just the tip of the iceberg--if Harvard abused ENDANGERED primates in their labs, imagine what other rsearch facilities do. And yet Jane Goodall is worried b/c Bubbles wore human clothes.

"Harvard Persuaded to Close Primate Facility [written in 7/2013]
Following two years of pressure from the Physicians Committee and its members, Harvard University announced in April that it will close its New England Primate Research Center where numerous monkeys have been seriously injured or died in recent years.

In September 2011, the Physicians Committee issued its report, Animal Welfare Act Violations at Ivy League Universities, which detailed how a primate (later revealed to be an endangered cotton-top tamarin) was found dead in a cage at the Harvard facility after going through a machine that uses near-boiling water and caustic chemicals to wash cages.

Following the Physicians Committee’s report, other accounts of animal deaths and mistreatment continued to surface, including:

A marmoset was found to have died after escaping, being captured, and then undergoing an imaging procedure. Physicians Committee’s sources from within the primate center claimed that the marmoset was traumatized during his capture and that he was hyperventilating and distressed when he was forced into the constricting imaging tube.
A cotton-top tamarin died of dehydration as a result of accidental water deprivation.
A primate died after being overdosed with anesthetics.
The Physicians Committee took this evidence of animal cruelty to the United States Department of Agriculture and NIH’s Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare and called on the agencies to investigate Harvard.

The Physicians Committee also charged Harvard with violating the federal Endangered Species Act by negligently harming and killing cotton-top tamarins in a complaint filed with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in July 2012. Harvard responded by claiming that it would relocate its nearly 170 tamarins—critically endangered monkeys native to Colombia—to “other institutions, such as wildlife preserves or sanctuaries.” The complaint is still pending."

http://www.pcrm.org/media/good-medicine/2013/summer2013/harvard-persuaded-to-close-primate-facility

Someone posted this re Jane Goodall and plagiarism:

"On March 22, 2013, Hachette Book Group announced that Goodall's and co-author Gail Hudson's new book, Seeds of Hope, would not be released on April 2 as planned due to the discovery of plagiarized portions.[44] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Goodall#cite_ref-44

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Goodall

SO, THE EXPERT IS STEALING OTHER PEOPLE "WORDS"!!!!!

NOW, YOU KNOW THAT SHE WILL "LIE AND STEAL" TOO!!!!!"

Hmmmmmmmm.

Jane Goodall should take on those bastards instead of making a fuss over something so inoffensive such as having a champazee wearing child's clothing. I'm pro science but anti cruel and miserable treatment to animals in laboratories. I may sound cruel and merciless myself but if scientists want to test new medications, beauty products, etc they should test those on criminals like psychopaths, serial killers, serial pedophiles instead of innocent animals, no matter its spicie.

I looked up Jane Goodall on wikipedia and there is a section on Criticism of her methods in her study of primates. One is that she named them, instead of numbering them (to avoid personal attachments). That seems pretty minor to me. But a bigger issue is that she FED the primates and this stimulated wars between them for the food--aggression. They also discuss that she praised a zoo in Edingurgh, Scotland, and after that had to resign from a position in an organization that felt wild animals did not belong in zoos (Hey, MJ had a wonderful zoo and yet she is bashing him?).

Quotes from Wikipedia entry on Jane Goodall:

"In May 2008, Goodall controversially described Edinburgh Zoo's new primate enclosure as a "wonderful facility" where monkeys "are probably better off [than those] living in the wild in an area like Budongo, where one in six gets caught in a wire snare, and countries like Congo, where chimpanzees, monkeys and gorillas are shot for food commercially." This was in conflict with Advocates for Animals' position on captive animals. In June 2008 Goodall confirmed that she had resigned the presidency of the organisation which she had held since 1998, citing her busy schedule and explaining, "I just don't have time for them."

Criticism

Some primatologists have suggested flaws in Goodall's methodology which may call into question the validity of her observations. Goodall used unconventional practices in her study, for example, naming individuals instead of numbering them. At the time numbering was used to prevent emotional attachment and loss of objectivity. Claiming to see individuality and emotion in chimpanzees, she was accused of "that worst of ethological sins," anthropomorphism.

Many standard methods are aimed at helping observers to avoid interference and the use of feeding stations to attract Gombe chimpanzees is, in particular, thought by some to have altered normal foraging and feeding patterns as well as social relationships; this argument is the focus of a book published by Margaret Power in 1991. It has been suggested that higher levels of aggression and conflict with other chimpanzee groups in the area were consequences of the feeding, which could have created the "wars" between chimpanzee social groups described by Goodall, aspects of which she did not witness in the years before artificial feeding began at Gombe. Thus, some regard Goodall's observations as distortions of normal chimpanzee behaviour. Goodall herself acknowledged that feeding contributed to aggression within and between groups, but maintained that the effect was limited to alteration of the intensity and not the nature of chimpanzee conflict, and further suggested that feeding was necessary for the study to be effective at all. Craig Stanford of the Jane Goodall Research Institute at the University of Southern California asserts that researchers conducting studies with no artificial provisioning have a difficult time viewing any social behaviours of chimpanzees at all, especially those related to intergroup conflict.
Some recent studies such as those by Crickette Sanz in the Goualougo Triangle (Congo) and Christophe Boesch in the Taï National Park (Côte d'Ivoire) have not shown the aggression observed in the Gombe studies. However, not all primatologists agree that the studies are flawed; for example, Jim Moore provides a critique of Margaret Powers' assertions and some studies of other chimpanzee groups have shown similar aggression to Gombe even in the absence of feeding."

More info on the plagerism charges:

On March 22, 2013, Hachette Book Group announced that Goodall's and co-author Gail Hudson's new book, Seeds of Hope, would not be released on April 2 as planned due to the discovery of plagiarized portions. A reviewer for the Washington Post found unattributed sections lifted from websites about organic tea, tobacco, and "an amateurish astrology site," as well as from Wikipedia. Goodall apologized and stated, "It is important to me that the proper sources are credited, and I will be working diligently with my team to address all areas of concern. My goal is to ensure that when this book is released it is not only up to the highest of standards, but also that the focus be on the crucial messages it conveys." The book is scheduled for release by Grand Central Publishing on 1 April 2014."

Personally, I think she is an elitist snob who looked down on MJ b/c he didn't have scientific credentials. He just had a big heart and a love for abused animals and children. She thinks she is sooo much better. Not.

Jane Goodall Institute (JGI). Here is an email to contact them. I wrote asking about the claim that Bubbles was beaten and what is the basis for it--what did she see or hear--and why didn't she mention it til now, even though she was interviewed in 2009 by CNN specifically about Bubbles and MJ? I think she needs to be called out on this.

Contact JGI
We welcome your feedback, inquiries and requests. Please use the form below to send us an e-mail; or, if you prefer, please contact us by mail, phone or fax.
The Jane Goodall Institute-USA Headquarters
1595 Spring Hill Rd
Suite 550
Vienna, VA 22182
Telephone: (703) 682-9220
Fax: (703) 682-9312
JGI-USA Programs and Offices
JGI Worldwide Links

http://www.janegoodall.org/contact

Here is a youtube video of chimps who went to a sanctuary after 30 years in a research lab. They saw grass and went outside of a cage for the first time in 30 years!! This is so uplifting to see--some of them seemed afraid to come out at first--they were really fascinated with this new world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExEjXLMd4VA

The second video shows chimps and primates in a large research lab in USA. Warning: it's hard to watch and very sad. Even a few seconds will show you what their lives are like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzbAjTpC1EQ

Petrarose,I´m firstly against wild ,exotic animals but exotic animals -and even birds are exotic -are very big business

Prices on animals’ heads range from tens of thousands of dollars for a hyacinth macaw to a few bucks for a giant cockroach.

When trappers take animals away from their natural habitats, the animals often change hands several times through intermediaries and exporters, and they endure grueling transport conditions. Parrots might have their beaks and feet taped and be stuffed into plastic tubes that can easily be hidden in luggage, and stolen bird and reptile eggs are concealed in special vests so that couriers can bypass X-ray machines at airports
Read more: http://www.peta.org/issues/companio...ets/inside-exotic-animal-trade/#ixzz2w6sVmLeA

There are many things I don´t agree with Peta about but things like this about exotic animals I´ve read about from other sources too and seen on tv.

Here is a book from where you can learn to make money raising petbirds http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Raising-Birds-Profit/dp/product-description/0974390402
It´s business and many breeders don´t care about who they sell to
Many birds dies too soon not because the owners don´t care but they don´t have enough knowledge,on the other hand there are birds that are taken care of properly too and have a good long life.
I suppose a little bird can get exercise flying in an apartment but bigger birds need more space.
I don´t know but it´s possible that some birds are just kept in their cages
Maybe it´s the same as with dogs, where there are responsible breeders and there are puppymills-just money

Cats and dogs have lived with humans for thousands of years and it can be discussed if you can have them when you live in the city or only if you live in the country so they can go outdoors when they want.
But they are not wild.
There are petbirds who are raised with humans but there are birds who have been caught in the wild and there are eggs taken from endangered birds in the wild.
Maybe with the birds you can see the difference in the price of the birds.

About elephants in zoos
http://www.idausa.org/campaigns/wild-free2/elephant-protection/

Last year Jane Goodall came to my city and my wife has the chance to spoke briefly with her. As she show her a picture of Michael with her, she only has nice words for Michael. Maybe those words from Jack Gordon reach her recently and she believes his sh**t.

Someone posted this re Jane Goodall and plagiarism:

"On March 22, 2013, Hachette Book Group announced that Goodall's and co-author Gail Hudson's new book, Seeds of Hope, would not be released on April 2 as planned due to the discovery of plagiarized portions.[44] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Goodall#cite_ref-44

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Goodall

SO, THE EXPERT IS STEALING OTHER PEOPLE "WORDS"!!!!!

NOW, YOU KNOW THAT SHE WILL "LIE AND STEAL" TOO!!!!!"

Hmmmmmmmm.

Ah ha ^^ good find. That is what happens when you try and remain current when you have nothing original to say. She needed to revisit those chimps and see what they were up to, the same way she claimed she visited Bubbles.

I find it interesting her response tries to make it seem as though the people who were working on the writing missed the citations. Yet the book is by her and someone else. I am getting the feeling that she used some people in her institute, maybe research students, to gather a bunch of information and do some of the writing. Then she and this other person went over it, edited it and tried to fine tune it. If she gathered the information herself she would know the citations were missing.

How come none of the articles and TMZ mentioned about her lies to show her credibility.

Jamba thanks for the information about her feeding the animals. I was saying earlier if we knew what she did in her research, there maybe things we find as inappropriate behavior too, and then you bring in this feeding issue. Not only will that cause aggression, but it makes the animals depend on food from you. That is something that happened a lot to bears in the US. She was supposed to study them without changing them or their environment. Why doesn't she talk about her inappropriateness. I guess talking about brutality gets more attention.

Last edited:
Ah ha ^^ good find. That is what happens when you try and remain current when you have nothing original to say. She needed to revisit those chimps and see what they were up to, the same way she claimed she visited Bubbles.

I find it interesting her response tries to make it seem as though the people who were working on the writing missed the citations. Yet the book is by her and someone else. I am getting the feeling that she used some people in her institute, maybe research students, to gather a bunch of information and do some of the writing. Then she and this other person went over it, edited it and tried to fine tune it. If she gathered the information herself she would know the citations were missing.

How come none of the articles and TMZ mentioned about her lies to show her credibility.

Jamba thanks for the information about her feeding the animals. I was saying earlier if we knew what she did in her research, there maybe things we find as inappropriate behavior too, and then you bring in this feeding issue. Not only will that cause aggression, but it makes the animals depend on food from you. That is something that happened a lot to bears in the US. She was supposed to study them without changing them or their environment. Why doesn't she talk about her inappropriateness. I guess talking about brutality gets more attention.

YES!! Agree so much that she was supposed to study them w/o changing their behavior! Seems like an obvious point that she didn't get.

Where I live it is illegal to feed wild animals, like deer or bears (but not wild birds of course), b/c it makes them get habituated to humans and lose their fear of them and also makes them dependent on humans and changes their normal wild behavior. So I was shocked that in her research she fed the chimps! I guess putting out feed made it easier to see them (b/c they would gather for the food) and you didn't have to go searching through the forest for them, but I can see where her methods and therefore her results have been questioned by scientists!!

IMO she is possibly going gaga. You notice in the clip when she starts talking about Bubbles being beaten, the driver wants to get her out of there asap b/c she knows Jane is starting to ramble.

What the hell is the point of saying this NOW in 2014? If she is truly a scientist she would never make those kinds of comments w/o proof, and since she never mentioned this before, it seems to come out of left field. Bubbles is in a sanctaury now and is doing well, MJ is gone, so what is the freakin point? It just makes her look bad.

Last edited:
21848655_BG1.jpg
silly-monkey.gif

Then, what is the purpose of animals? Should we leave them all where they came from and just take trips to lands & the interior with the chance we will see one of them. You know like they stay in their place and we stay in ours?

To suppose that the "purpose of animals" is that they can be displayed to people to see them suggests a way of thinking in which humans are superior to all other animals and everything else exists for humans. I disagree with that notion very much. Yes, we have superior intelligence, but we are just one of the many animal species. Our strenght is in our intelligence, but throw a human in a cage with a lion - who is superior then? All species of animals have their strenghts compared to others and I don't think humans have some special right to rule other animals. Their "purpose" is the same as ours: to keep their own species going by multiplying. That's it. They are not for our pleasure.

I just had to say this reading your comment, but I agree that Goodall's comments were uncalled for. It's not ideal for animals to be in circuses and zoos (and Neverland is no exception), but the subject is very complex and was not Michael's to solve. In this case for example we know that Bubbles came from a laboratory and he likely would have had a much worse life if Michael hadn't saved him. And sometimes people mean well not knowing what they think is good for an animal is not necessarily good. Like dressing them up etc. But I'm sure Michael would have never hurt Bubbles without a reason and based on what Goodall said about Michael earlier she should know as well, so yeah her comments are disappointing and below the belt.

I appreciate what she does for animals but as a person I lost respect for her! This is no way to raise money for a cause! She lost her damn mind!

I've always respect Jane Goodall for all the work she has done, but I have to agree. This is a terrible thing to be saying. It's not enough that he's been accused of all the things he's been accused of, now we have to throw animal abuse in there, too?

What the actual ****? Some people need to get pushed off a cliff for the things they say.

Respect about your display comment and superiority I don't know how that got in there. It seems you took this to another level. The thing is people want to see the animals, and it is unrealistic to think that humans will know animals are in the world and not want to see them. That is why I mention about seeing them. From way back when some one came from a distant land with stories of different animals, plants, different people, you name it, the locals wanted to see what these living organisms including humans looked like. I am not condoning the inhumane treatment of living things/humans, by the way, but that it is human nature to what to see/know what that over there is.

People don't gather up plants and flowers and put in a house because they feel they are superior to it. People don't go to the nursery and get tropical orchids or visit the flower show at Easter time because they feel they are superior. The botanical gardens gather all types of species of plants and flowers and I and others go and watch them and enjoy their beauty, so does that mean we think we are superior. If I hear about some little creature, I want to see what it looks like, where it lives. In my head I wish I could have a koala bear because it reminds me of a teddy bear, but in reality I don't want one. However, would I like to go to Australia and see one? You bet. Do I think that bear is inferior because I want to watch it? That idea never came in my mind. To me the first ideas normal humans think when they want to go see some new thing is due to interest, curiosity, admiration, beauty, study, understanding. To me all that is healthy feelings and nothing to be ashamed about. So many people have yearly tickets to visit the zoo with their children and it would be quite a waste to go see them simply because they think that as humans they are superior, so they are going to watch these inferior things.

Even I sit on a bench in the park at times and watch the pigeons and also the little kids playing. There is something calming in all that and I find kids at play can be comical, and all through the process superior feelings never come into play.

I doubt Jane went staring at the chimps because she felt they were inferior. It seems her intentions were honorable although I don't like what she has to say about Bubbles under Michael's watch.

Last edited:
What the hell is the point of saying this NOW in 2014? If she is truly a scientist she would never make those kinds of comments w/o proof, and since she never mentioned this before, it seems to come out of left field. Bubbles is in a sanctaury now and is doing well, MJ is gone, so what is the freakin point? It just makes her look bad.

I agree. Personally, I think because it has again become fashionable to throw shade all over Michael's legacy lately, she wanted her chance to kick dirt on him. It is interesting how she never brought this up when Michael could have said something about it or even during her talk with the media in 2009 after Michael's death about how she felt it was "inappropriate" for Bubbles to be dressed in children's clothes. And now that Michael is actively being trashed again and the positivity for him has worn off, she comes up with an alleged claim from a man who has been dead four years longer than Michael. Who told her that anyway? I can't say I'm surprised by things like this anymore. But still, it never makes sense.

Last edited:
Respect about your display comment and superiority I don't know how that got in there. It seems you took this to another level. The thing is people want to see the animals, and it is unrealistic to think that humans will know animals are in the world and not want to see them. That is why I mention about seeing them. From way back when some one came from a distant land with stories of different animals, plants, different people, you name it, the locals wanted to see what these living organisms including humans looked like. I am not condoning the inhumane treatment of living things/humans, by the way, but that it is human nature to what to see/know what that over there is.

People don't gather up plants and flowers and put in a house because they feel they are superior to it. People don't go to the nursery and get tropical orchids or visit the flower show at Easter time because they feel they are superior. The botanical gardens gather all types of species of plants and flowers and I and others go and watch them and enjoy their beauty, so does that mean we think we are superior. If I hear about some little creature, I want to see what it looks like, where it lives. In my head I wish I could have a koala bear because it reminds me of a teddy bear, but in reality I don't want one. However, would I like to go to Australia and see one? You bet. Do I think that bear is inferior because I want to watch it? That idea never came in my mind. To me the first ideas normal humans think when they want to go see some new thing is due to interest, curiosity, admiration, beauty, study, understanding. To me all that is healthy feelings and nothing to be ashamed about. So many people have yearly tickets to visit the zoo with their children and it would be quite a waste to go see them simply because they think that as humans they are superior, so they are going to watch these inferior things.

Even I sit on a bench in the park at times and watch the pigeons and also the little kids playing. There is something calming in all that and I find kids at play can be comical, and all through the process superior feelings never come into play.

I doubt Jane went staring at the chimps because she felt they were inferior. It seems her intentions were honorable although I don't like what she has to say about Bubbles under Michael's watch.

You missed my point. Maybe you did not mean it how I understood it, but this is the statement that rubbed me in the wrong way:

Then, what is the purpose of animals? Should we leave them all where they came from and just take trips to lands & the interior with the chance we will see one of them. You know like they stay in their place and we stay in ours?

It's as if saying animal's "purpose" is for humans to enjoy them and if humans cannot see them then what's even the purpose of their existence? Maybe you did not mean it that way, but that's how it sounds.

Zoos can be even useful, for example in the preservation of endangered species and I'm not against zoos in itself. But animal's "purpose" is not that humans enjoy them. They exist for themselves, not for humans.

Respect the thing is we have a difference of opinion now that I see the last thing you wrote ^^. I think ALL living things exist for each other. I see you think that animals exist for themselves and I see what you are saying. However, I will always be governed by the theory that all creatures--big and small, plants, people exist for all. I will say, though, that each organism has its own "essence" or consciousness. (I am not saying that animals' only purpose is to give people pleasure. Earlier I was throwing out a question to Mist based on the context of what she wrote, and she answered quite clearly.)

Now back to the "existence for themselves," I don't think people can exist without plants, since plants are the only producers. Therefore, people cannot exist for themselves. I don't think animals can exist for themselves, since they are not producers either. I think we live in an environment with coexistence and interdependence, but some humans messed it up. However, just because some humans messed things up and are exploiters/abusers/mean/dangerous, I can't just simple say now every living thing is for themselves. I think we all need each other. People need animals, but that does not mean people should exploit animals and cause them pain or abuse them. Even the plants who are producers need a bee or some animal (& wind) to help pollinate.

Another thing is that I believe that living things have various roles. For example, some plants with their flowers have a purpose to just be and just hang out in the environment, but they also have other roles as well such as providing a place for an insect to live/hide, prevent erosion of the soil, etc. Other plants are there to beautify the universe but even then, they also have other roles as well such as providing shade to the forest floor below so the animals could get away from the heat, and even provide medicine for animals and people, and on and on. (This reminds me of our dogs that would find grass to eat so they could purge themselves.) People have various roles too, to help other humans, help the animals when they are in danger/drought/fire situations, take care of the plants, don't deface the land and the environment, etc.. That does not mean the humans are doing all the good things they should be doing. Neither am I doing all the good things I should be doing either. Anyway this is an interesting topic but I think I have gone way over now into another thread. It was nice having this little chat. I am going bye bye now.

Jamba did you hear back from Jane yet, that is, if you wrote to her.

Last edited:
Respect the thing is we have a difference of opinion now that I see the last thing you wrote ^^. I think ALL living things exist for each other. I see you think that animals exist for themselves and I see what you are saying. However, I will always be governed by the theory that all creatures--big and small, plants, people exist for all. I will say, though, that each organism has its own "essence" or consciousness. (I am not saying that animals' only purpose is to give people pleasure. Earlier I was throwing out a question to Mist based on the context of what she wrote, and she answered quite clearly.)

Now back to the "existence for themselves," I don't think people can exist without plants, since plants are the only producers. Therefore, people cannot exist for themselves. I don't think animals can exist for themselves, since they are not producers either. I think we live in an environment with coexistence and interdependence, but some humans messed it up. However, just because some humans messed things up and are exploiters/abusers/mean/dangerous, I can't just simple say now every living thing is for themselves. I think we all need each other. People need animals, but that does not mean people should exploit animals and cause them pain or abuse them. Even the plants who are producers need a bee or some animal (& wind) to help pollinate.

Another thing is that I believe that living things have various roles. For example, some plants with their flowers have a purpose to just be and just hang out in the environment, but they also have other roles as well such as providing a place for an insect to live/hide, prevent erosion of the soil, etc. Other plants are there to beautify the universe but even then, they also have other roles as well such as providing shade to the forest floor below so the animals could get away from the heat, and even provide medicine for animals and people, and on and on. (This reminds me of our dogs that would find grass to eat so they could purge themselves.) People have various roles too, to help other humans, help the animals when they are in danger/drought/fire situations, take care of the plants, don't deface the land and the environment, etc.. That does not mean the humans are doing all the good things they should be doing. Neither am I doing all the good things I should be doing either. Anyway this is an interesting topic but I think I have gone way over now into another thread. It was nice having this little chat. I am going bye bye now.

Jamba did you hear back from Jane yet, that is, if you wrote to her.

No, I did not hear back and don't expect to, either, b/c I think the people who work for Jane Goodall know that she blew it and they are hoping it all goes away. She is going to be 80 soon, and they do not want to hurt her legacy.

Re animals--my view is that all beings have an intrinsic worth, a worth not dependent on another species (aka humans) to bestow it on them (or not). Personally, I do think we should have our world and let the wild nature have its. Obviously, we can't have wild animals running around in congested cities, but we need to respect their rights to live in their own habitat/ecosystems, unmolested by us. If we want to see wild nature, we have to be respectful and not harm them or their habitat. I once went on a 40 mile backpacking loop through Yellowstone--amazing. We had to pack our food, hang it in a tree, smoke our clothes (all to prevent grizzly bears from smelling food on our clothes, etc). We had to take a lot of precautions. Luckily, we did not see any bears!! But we saw elk, moose, etc.

I now live where I can see some wildlife, and that's a sacrifice in a sense b/c I lose a lot of the rich human culture that I would get in a city (for instance). So I live in the boonies where I can see deer, eagles, and so on. But it can be very boring in terms of things to do (human activities and social life). I have to drive about an hour to even go to a movie theater!! But when I see a group of deer at a distance, it makes me really happy! I try to leave them alone and if I see them at a distance I turn around and retreat. But just that glimpse is worth it. It's really thrilling if I see an eagle. (There's bear around here too but I only saw a cub once run across the road years ago.)

Last edited:
I agree. Personally, I think because it has again become fashionable to throw shade all over Michael's legacy lately, she wanted her chance to kick dirt on him. It is interesting how she never brought this up when Michael could have said something about it or even during her talk with the media in 2009 after Michael's death about how she felt it was "inappropriate" for Bubbles to be dressed in children's clothes. And now that Michael is actively being trashed again and the positivity for him has worn off, she comes up with an alleged claim from a man who has been dead four years longer than Michael. Who told her that anyway? I can't say I'm surprised by things like this anymore. But still, it never makes sense.

What I want to know is, when did she find this out? Was it while he was still with Michael? If so, my question is the same as yours... why didn't she bring it up then? Or at least while he was still alive.

If she didn't learn until after Bubbles had been sent away, or even after Michael's death, who's to say he wasn't abused (if he was at all) by the place that took him in?

Jamba yes I guess you are right about her people keeping quiet to let this die down.

Your quote: "Re animals--my view is that all beings have an intrinsic worth, a worth not dependent on another species (aka humans) to bestow it on them (or not)."

^^Yeah I agree with you that they have a worth that is not dependent on another species to bestow it on them. I don't think any creature can give another creature its intrinsic worth because creatures did not create creatures. However, I am going a step further and I am saying that included in their worth is to live that co-existence life of inter dependence, which includes several acts/behaviors, and that no other creature bestows that worth on them, because it is who they are and they were created to be that way--including humans. That is the role of all organisms in the universe to me. So my bottom line is all creatures are created to be & do something for other creatures. For some animals one of their worths/roles/purpose is to be prey for other animals. I don't think this behavior is one of chance but that the prey was created to be the prey, and is part of that co-existence and inter-dependence. I agree with you about the intrinsic worth, because just because a lion eats a gazelle, the lion can't say by me eating you I have conveyed upon you a worth of prey. The gazelle was already created with that worth and more before the lion ate it, so the lion had nothing to do with creating any of the worths of the gazelle.

I know exactly how you feel when you talk about seeing the animals. I think that feeling you get when you saw those animals, is one of the reasons those animals are there. It is not their only worth, but nevertheless part of it, so in a way you were able to embrace part of the deer's intrinsic worth--They were there, you saw them, you got a feeling--To me part of the deer's intrinsic worth was to give you that feeling, and part of the eagle's intrinsic worth was to give you the feeling you got, even though you had nothing to do with providing [i.e., .. a worth not dependent on another species (aka humans) to bestow it on them (or not)] the deer or eagle with the characteristics they have that cause you to get that feeling.

Spyce that is a good question. Does anyone know when Jane found out about this abuse. The name Jack came up and Jack is dead, so when did she find this out? Is it that she visited the chimp and it told her that. However, she claimed she confronted Michael and he was upset, so when did she get this information?

Last edited:
Ok, this is getting "deep." But who is going to decide what purpose each creature has in relation to another? What is prey to one creature is predator to another--a bird 'preys' on an insect, but can be itself a 'prey" to another species (a bigger bird, etc). It's all one big interconnected ecosystem IMO and way beyond our full comprehension. BUT the big problem is one species--humans--have disrupted the balance and that cannot be restored by them once it is broken. In medicine there is the famous first step--DO NO HARM--and I wish humans would take that as a motto in their dealings with the wild creatures and wild nature. This is also nonviolence (Ahimsa). But too many people think nothing of treating other species as just there for whatever--shark fin soup, research, bear bile, fur, etc etc--and it's gotten out of hand. These are feeling, sentient beings that often have a greater intelligence and greater sensitivity than we do. Chimps are an example of a very smart species.

Well--I should not say any more b/c I feel very strongly about this. I am really worried about where we are headed environmentally speaking, esp. in regards to BIG ecosystems like the oceans (now crowded with jellyfish instead of fish) and the atmosphere (warming). :(

That's a totally different thing to what you were talking about earlier, though. Of course, the eco-system is about coexistence and interdependence and the species are dependent on each other. That's not a question and that's not what I disagreed with. I disagreed with what I thought was implicated in your post that if animals cannot be shown in zoos "then, what is the purpose of animals?" Again, I'm not against zoos in itself, but animals "purpose" is certainly not to be shown around in zoos for human's pleasure. The eco-system could do just fine without zoos. But the subject of zoos is a lot more complicated and I'm not against them in itself. I just disagree with the notion that seemed to be implicated in that post of yours which is if animals cannot be shown around in zoos then their existence is somehow useless as if everything existed for humans. That's wrong. The eco-system did fine long before us and will do fine long after we are extinct.

Last edited:
Ok, this is getting "deep." But who is going to decide what purpose each creature has in relation to another? What is prey to one creature is predator to another--a bird 'preys' on an insect, but can be itself a 'prey" to another species (a bigger bird, etc). It's all one big interconnected ecosystem IMO and way beyond our full comprehension. BUT the big problem is one species--humans--have disrupted the balance and that cannot be restored by them once it is broken. In medicine there is the famous first step--DO NO HARM--and I wish humans would take that as a motto in their dealings with the wild creatures and wild nature. This is also nonviolence (Ahimsa). But too many people think nothing of treating other species as just there for whatever--shark fin soup, research, bear bile, fur, etc etc--and it's gotten out of hand. These are feeling, sentient beings that often have a greater intelligence and greater sensitivity than we do. Chimps are an example of a very smart species.

Well--I should not say any more b/c I feel very strongly about this. I am really worried about where we are headed environmentally speaking, esp. in regards to BIG ecosystems like the oceans (now crowded with jellyfish instead of fish) and the atmosphere (warming). :(

I am with you on this ^^. Great post!!

About this part: "But who is going to decide what purpose each creature has in relation to another? What is prey to one creature is predator to another--a bird 'preys' on an insect, but can be itself a 'prey" to another species (a bigger bird, etc). It's all one big interconnected ecosystem IMO and way beyond our full comprehension."
^^That's it right there. No One should decide the purposes of each creature in relation to another and define who is predator or prey. [I think that humans' decisions about these things have caused all these problem, which are connected to trade/colonilization/indrustralization/money/greed/the West's ideologies on modernization, etc., and as you say it has gotten worse.] Each organism knows what it is. I mean a lion knows what he has to do and what he is all about. He does not need a human to tell it. It is humans who came in and started a lot of problems by subjugating not only animals but also people. However, essentially as you put it before with the intrinsic value, all creations have within themselves the ability of knowing. Knowing what to do, knowing who they are, knowing where to get food, etc.

I would just like to add a little more about this defining problem: To me a plant knows he is a medicine/food/cover for the forest/home for little creatures, etc. So, if a dog goes and eat grass which is medicine, the dog did not define that grass as medicine. The plant as part of his value was already created as a medicine and more. Now if humans decide something is useful, like an animal, they are not supposed to go and exploit it, make it unhappy, and suffer. I think it all boils down to humans' behavior and attitude.

Yes, we are similar with that one big interconnected ecosystem. Yes I agree that a prey can also be a predator and I spoke about how within an organism there are different worths when we were talking about your intrinsic worth.

Actually, Jamba I don't think we have a diverse of opinion on this topic, we just pushed the topic in a different way.

Yes I am with you on the problems humans caused, but think about this. In spite of humans destructive actions, humans can't change the organisms intrinsic value. In other words, they may go out and hunt the deer you love, but they can't change the value the deer has where when you see them you feel joy, calmness, happiness. They can take the deer's life, but can't take away its intrinsic value. They can't change the intrinsic value the deer has of knowing which plants to eat. They can exploit the Amazon and cut down the trees, but they can't change the intrinsic value of the plants to be food, or even to be medicinal. Yet, in spite of all the problems humans caused animals still need/help plants, humans still need/help animals and plants, plants still need/help humans, etc.

I get your hurt about the plight of non-human species. Even the scientists you mention above, to me, are part of the problem even though they have done much to help. Above you mention scientists have shown that some of the animals have a greater sensitivity and intelligence than us. I think what they should be stressing is not how close or unlike us an organism is. Once they begin to do that they are falling into that trap where you treat something/someone Well because they are like us or almost like us. I understand why they like to do those studies and show the similarities between the chimps/apes/monkeys and humans and the intelligence of the dolphins, etc. However, they should focus less on these types of analyses and more on showing the importance of life/existence of organisms & the contributions of these organisms to our large interconnected ecosystem that you mentioned. We all know how important that little ant is, and it is the ant's value that should be stressed and not how similar it is to humans or how smart it is. What has happened partly due to these researches is that organisms that people find are not close to humans or not as intelligent as humans, they tend to ill-treat and exploit more.

Last edited:
"However, they should focus less on these types of analyses and more on showing the importance of life/existence of organisms & the contributions of these organisms to our large interconnected ecosystem that you mentioned. We all know how important that little ant is, and it is the ant's value that should be stressed and not how similar it is to humans or how smart it is. What has happened partly due to these researches is that organisms that people find are not close to humans or not as intelligent as humans, they tend to ill-treat and exploit more."

Yes, I agree very much with this! Well said, Petra! I was reading some comments MJ made about how he was fascinated by so many things in the world and he had so much curiosity and wished he had more time to reseach things. (He also talked about seahorses and how the male gives birth, which I did not know. So many wonderful things to learn about the creatures we share Planet Earth with.)

The little things are often the most important-- in the ocean the tiny organisms called phytoplankton (sp?) that we might think are not important are the foundation of that ecosystem.

Agree with you so much that we need to stress how each part contributes to the whole, and without that part, everything changes b/c, as you say--it is all interconnected.

Back