Drake featuring Michael Jackson (TONIGHT)

Doggone;4228460 said:
Damn, are people really expecting a statement and a release of Don’t Matter To Me?

That song is done. It’s already gone from the charts in the US. The Estate and the management of Drake missed an opportunity AGAIN. Such a shame.

US isn't the only market. Why do some fans only focus on the US market? The song is still in the top 20 after 7 weeks in the UK and Ireland market. So what if it isn't in the US charts anymore? MJ himself preferred and targeted international markets in the last 20 years of his life.

Don't Matter To Me had many benefits for MJ, here are a few

-Gave MJ his 30th Top 10 Hit in the US
-Went Top 10 in countless other markets including the UK, Australia, Canada, Switzerland, Sweden, Portgual, Norway, New Zealand, Hungary, Ireland, Denmark, etc.
-Increased MJ's Spotify streams significantly by reminding the younger generation about MJ's fantastic catalogue.

And the bold bit is the most important thing. His spotify listeners went up from like 16 million to over 30 million, after the release of Don't Matter to Me. That is way more important than any chart positions for me.

^ Yes Nite Line you are correct. His listeners have doubled on Spotify since the end of June, simply incredible especially in todays era where this stuff actually counts for charting/sales.

US isn't the only market. Why do some fans only focus on the US market?
Drake is primarily a US artist, so his main audience is here, like a Bollywood singer main audience is in India. I don't know why some people here make a big deal about an artist getting an international audience like that is supposed to make them better than someone who doesn't. Few acts get that, and it's mostly because of how big their record label is that gives them the money and power to promote them in other countries. Also the USA is a bigger market than other countries. Platinum in the US is 1 million and in the UK it's 300,000. It's not an accident that European acts like The Beatles tried to make it here, when others popular over there like Cliff Richard failed.

Drake is primarily a US artist, so his main audience is here, like a Bollywood singer main audience is in India. I don't know why some people here make a big deal about an artist getting an international audience like that is supposed to make them better than someone who doesn't. Few acts get that, and it's mostly because of how big their record label is that gives them the money and power to promote them in other countries. Also the USA is a bigger market than other countries. Platinum in the US is 1 million and in the UK it's 300,000. It's not an accident that European acts like The Beatles tried to make it here, when others popular over there like Cliff Richard failed.

I know many Americans like to think that their country is the greatest and other countries don't matter and you are probably one of those people. I personally don't think having a hit song in US is any better than having a hit song in the UK. In fact, I rather see MJ do well on international charts than US charts, as he was an American and him doing well on international charts show that he was/is an international artist.

I know many Americans like to think that their country is the greatest and other countries don't matter and you are probably one of those people. I personally don't think having a hit song in US is any better than having a hit song in the UK. In fact, I rather see MJ do well on international charts than US charts, as he was an American and him doing well on international charts show that he was/is an international artist.
I didn't say the USA was better than any other country. You're saying that having international popularity is better than having popularity in one country. Unless an artist is singing in English, getting international popularity is very hard or impossible to do. People who don't know English are more likely to listen to people singing in English than people who only know English or other languages to listen to non-English languages. How many artists singing in Japanese, Nigerian, French, or Spanish are popular worldwide or get Top 40 pop radio airplay outside of their own countries? Very few songs that are not in English have ever become hits in the US.

There is a reason why people try to break into the US market.. let's not try to pretend that's not a significant sign of sucess..

That doesnt mean it's more "important" but it does carry weight.

And the bold bit is the most important thing. His spotify listeners went up from like 16 million to over 30 million, after the release of Don't Matter to Me. That is way more important than any chart positions for me.

Releasing MJs "limited vault" vocals in a heavily filtered, auto-tuned way with a guy he's never met is just not something I can get behind, no matter the new money it will make the MJ Estate off streams etc.

I like Drake. I've seen him live. I just don't agree with any of this.

And Drake got introduced for the first time to a market outside his own.

I wouldn't weigh it, but both artists benefitted.

If Michael's part is from a unfinished song.. we probably would habe never heard it unless leaked or shared with another artist.. so! Whatever

If Michael's part is from a unfinished song.. we probably would habe never heard it unless leaked or shared with another artist.. so! Whatever

This is such flawed logic. We wouldn't hear it because the estate wouldn't release it.

Flawed logic? You just agreed with me.. that's correct the estate would not release it if the song is not complete..

Flawed logic would be waiting for the estate release a statement saying a song with.michaels voice was released weeks and weeks ago.

Flawed logic? You just agreed with me.. that's correct the estate would not release it if the song is not complete..

Flawed logic would be waiting for the estate release a statement saying a song with.michaels voice was released weeks and weeks ago.

You're saying this song is a great thing because otherwise we would not have been able to hear it. The estate own the song, the estate put it on the Drake track. The estate won't release the demo. How can you give props to the estate for this decision when they make ALL decisions regarding MJ's art?

I said that? Can you point me to where I said it's a great thing? Seems like your coming up with your own conclusions.. all I'm saying is that there is a good chance we would have never heard this song at all if the song is not finished..

Releasing MJs "limited vault" vocals in a heavily filtered, auto-tuned way with a guy he's never met is just not something I can get behind, no matter the new money it will make the MJ Estate off streams etc.

I like Drake. I've seen him live. I just don't agree with any of this.

I agree with your point regarding the auto-tuning of MJ's vocals. MJ was a great vocalist and certainly didn't need auto-tune. And if they are going to auto-tune his voice, at least they should have the decency to release the demo version, so we can hear MJ's actual voice on the song.

However, I've to disagree with your second point. I don't think it matters if MJ met them or not. I think that argument is a bit lame, no offence. MJ hasn't met most of the current artists, as he died before many of them began their careers. I feel as long as the artist is somewhat decent, is an MJ fan and can help MJ reach out to more people, I am happy with MJ being featured or their songs or vice versa.

I said that? Can you point me to where I said it's a great thing? Seems like your coming up with your own conclusions.. all I'm saying is that there is a good chance we would have never heard this song at all if the song is not finished..

Why did you make the comment you did if it wasn't to defend the song? Doesn't really make much sense otherwise.. I feel you are taking what I said way too literally. I feel the general point I made still stands.

Doggone;4228460 said:
Damn, are people really expecting a statement and a release of Don’t Matter To Me?

That song is done. It’s already gone from the charts in the US. The Estate and the management of Drake missed an opportunity AGAIN. Such a shame.

The song only charted due to the album being released (just like all the other songs that charted from the album). They can still release it as a single, push it to radio, shoot a video, promote it with live performances etc. They haven't missed anything, if they want the song released they can still do it. I doubt Drake will stop at 3 singles, especially since his current one is already 6 weeks at #1. I'm certain they will push another one after it.

Why did you make the comment you did if it wasn't to defend the song? Doesn't really make much sense otherwise.. I feel you are taking what I said way too literally. I feel the general point I made still stands.

Simply because I think it's silly how much complaining about hearing new mj vocals is going on.. call me "too appreciative" if you want but we got to hear something we've never heard before.m I wait and wait for "new" material.. so even when it's a little clipping used in a below average drake song, I stil enjoy it..

If we get the demo one day, even better
. But I'm not going to bitch about it when otherwise i would not even know of this song Michael recorded that drake used.

Simply because I think it's silly how much complaining about hearing new mj vocals is going on.. call me "too appreciative" if you want but we got to hear something we've never heard before.m I wait and wait for "new" material.. so even when it's a little clipping used in a below average drake song, I stil enjoy it..

MJs push for quality can't be ignored just so we can get new material. The Michael album and all that has followed are proof of this. They will continue to carry on releasing sub-par content because all fans want is new new new.

^ that's something I agree with..

I do think good thought should be put in to what's released.. mike has released unfinished work on ultimate collection but that really was under different circumstances..

I can see this rising again soon, it's the only other hit-friendly single to release from the album. It will probably be pushed to radio stations with a video, let's hope so anyway. Can't think of anything else to release.

Thanks for the update.

Could you not have told us that yesterday? haha

it obviously doesn't matter to dam :lol:

right i have finally had a look at this and i absolutley hate it. big hater of this crap. i hate you drake . hate you for life. and all involved in this crap

Drake is performing DMTM and a short RWY cover on his current tour and his stage lights up like Billie Jean when he walks around! I can only imagine what it would’ve been like if MJ would’ve been able to take advantage of this technology..

check it out:
[youtube]qFT7VkPjaEE[/youtube]

Apparently it will be released to the US pop radio on 9th October.

crazyvegasmj;4230405 said:
drake is performing dmtm and a short rwy cover on his current tour and his stage lights up like billie jean when he walks around! I can only imagine what it would’ve been like if mj would’ve been able to take advantage of this technology..

Check it out:
[youtube]qft7vkpjaee[/youtube]

nite line;4230466 said:
apparently it will be released to the us pop radio on 9th october.

hope this is true tho

Back