Elvis Presley

I was wondering is there a video/audio of young Elvis singing? Like when he was under 15 years old or so..
I have never heard the young Elvis singing..

Happy birthday, Elvis.. R.I.P.

Already over 31 years since he passed away!

ooh mu god today is elvis birthday i forgot thanks for telling me that :yes: :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELVIS LOVE YEA :)

Happy Birthday Elvis Presley

i'm big fan of elvis for along time sometime as fan of MJ too :yes:

so i wish you a happy birthday Elvis love yea keep swing you legs in heaven :yes: :toofunny:

R.I.P Elvis hppy bday :)

Re: Happy Birthday Elvis Presley

:yes: elvis trun 74 years old yesterday :yes: cause i watch larry king live on t.v :yes:

I was yesterday at my friend's costume party, try to guess what I was dressed like? :D
Yeah, Elvis Presley, lol. It was kind of weak performance though :lol:

Dread Zeppelin

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with Dread Zeppelin. They're a band which has a mixture of Elvis, Led Zeppelin, and reggae music.

FTFY

He was a talented singer, but he really didn't do much work outside of touring.
Since when is recording tons of records and performing live shows not 'working'?

You 'fixed' the part where I said he was a legendary performer. Sorry, but I'd rather listen to what Jackie Wilson had to say about the man:

'A lot of people have accused Elvis of stealing the black man's music, when in fact, almost every black solo entertainer copied his stage mannerisms from Elvis'.

Or James Brown:

I wasn't just a fan, I was his brother. He said I was good and I said he was good; we never argued about that. Elvis was a hard worker, dedicated, and God loved him. Last time I saw him was at Graceland. We sang Old Blind Barnabus together, a gospel song. I love him and hope to see him in heaven. There'll never be another like that soul brother.

Or Al Green:

Elvis had an influence on everybody with his musical approach. He broke the ice for all of us.

Or B. B. King:

I remember Elvis as a young man hanging around the Sun studios. Even then, I knew this kid had a tremendous talent. He was a dynamic young boy. His phraseology, his way of looking at a song, was as unique as Sinatra's. I was a tremendous fan, and had Elvis lived, there would have been no end to his inventiveness.

Maybe you do not find Elvis impressive as a performer, but his performances in the 50s were groundbreaking at the time and an inspiration for many future artists to get into music. For instance, Bob Dylan said:
When I first heard Elvis' voice, I just knew that I wasn't going to work for anybody, and nobody was going to be my boss. He is the deity supreme of rock and roll religion as it exists in today's form. Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail. I thank God for Elvis Presley.

His '68 comeback special was another huge event, as was the Aloha From Hawaii special in 1973 (on a global scale). Whether you personally like him or not, I do not see how you can deny that he was an icon.

Last edited:
Since when is recording tons of records and performing live shows not 'working'? Do you also think Michael did not 'work'? He recorded a lot less music than Elvis and performed not nearly as many live concerts.

You 'fixed' the part where I said he was a legendary performer. Sorry, but I'd rather listen to what Jackie Wilson had to say about the man:

Maybe you do not find Elvis impressive as a performer, but his performances in the 50s were groundbreaking at the time and an inspiration for many future artists to get into music. His '68 comeback special was another huge event. Whether you personally like him or not, I do not see how you can deny that he was an icon.

LOL I never said he wasn't an icon, but the fact of the matter is he never toured outside of America, he didn't write a single song, he couldn't dance, and nothing he did was truly groundbreaking (not if you know the history of music in America at least).

Additionally, what Jackie Wilson said isn't the gospel, and do you honestly think that a black man would say something dissenting about a white star a big as Elvis back then?

heck I didn't even bring up race because my actual question was what work did Elvis do, but since you brought up race it's also a fact that there were a lot of black artist doing what Elvis did, but Elvis became as popular as he did because he provided a white face for what was at the time a genre of music being sung mainly by black people.

Whether you choose to believe it or not it's just a fact that Elvis' success came mainly because he was white, Elvis was aware of this himself.

As for the Elvis MJ comparison you made Michael sung, Michael danced, Michael was able to write his own music, and to this day most artist and entertainers say that he has inspired them in some way, but I hardly ever see anyone say that they're inspired by Elvis, also quality>quantity.

I'm not here to drag or shade Elvis, I'm sure he was a nice guy, but to say that he had to really work hard for the all the success he garnered just isn't true.
Now back to my original question.

What work did Elvis do?

If no one can answer it that's fine, but it is a legit question. :yes:

Last edited:
LOL I never said he wasn't an icon, but the fact of the matter is he never toured outside of America, he didn't write a single song, he couldn't dance, and nothing he did was truly groundbreaking (not if you know the history of music in America at least).
Well, you removed the part where I said he was a legendary performer.

If you mean groundbreaking in terms of being an innovator, then I do not think Elvis was a huge innovator musically. In terms of having an impact and exposing people to new ideas, his influence was huge, however. And his stage presentation was ahead of its time. As for not touring outside of America, his career was hugely mismanaged. There certainly was not a lack of appeal outside of the US.

Additionally, what Jackie Wilson said isn't the gospel, and do you honestly think that a black man would say something dissenting about a white star a big as Elvis back then?
I did not say it is the gospel, but I do think it says something when so many legendary artists have these things to say about someone. As for the second part of your sentence, that is just insulting. You honestly think that men like Jackie Wilson, James Brown and B.B. King only said these things about Elvis because they'd be afraid to say anything less than positive about a white star? You've got to be kidding me.

heck I didn't even bring up race because my actual question was what work did Elvis do, but since you brought up race it's also a fact that there were a lot of black artist doing what Elvis did, but Elvis became as popular as he did because he provided a white face for what was at the time a genre of music being sung mainly by black people.
I did not cite that Jackie Wilson quote to bring up race, that's what you apparently read into it. I brought it up because you 'fixed' my original post where I said that Elvis was a legendary performer. Jackie Wilson's quote supports the idea that he was.

Whether you choose to believe it or not it's just a fact that Elvis' success came mainly because he was white, Elvis was aware of this himself.
Elvis had a wider appeal because he was white no doubt, but to say his success came 'mainly' because he was white is laughable. Why did no other white artists at that time become nearly as successful as him, then? Ridiculous.

Also, do not forget that there was plenty of initial resistance against Elvis from white people because he performed 'black music' and because his stage mannerisms were deemed too sexual. What he did was groundbreaking in that regard, even if the music he performed was not particularly innovative.

As for the Elvis MJ comparison you made Michael sung, Michael danced, Michael was able to write his own music, and to this day most artist and entertainers say that he has inspired them in some way, but I hardly ever see anyone say that they're inspired by Elvis, also quality>quantity.
Of course MJ had a wider range of abilities. But again, the only reason I mentioned this is because you say Elvis 'did not work'. When you look at how often he performed and how many albums he recorded, I cannot see how one can say that he 'did not work'.

As for his influence, I guess that depends on who you listen to. Have you ever considered the fact that Michael died almost 7 years ago, whereas Elvis has been dead for nearly 39? Many artists who themselves became legendary, like Bob Dylan who I cited above, might not even have gone into the business if it was not for Elvis initially inspiring them.

Well, you removed the part where I said he was a legendary performer.

If you mean groundbreaking in terms of being an innovator, then I do not think Elvis was a huge innovator musically. In terms of having an impact and exposing people to new ideas, his influence was huge, however. And his stage presentation was ahead of its time. As for not touring outside of America, his career was hugely mismanaged. There certainly was not a lack of appeal outside of the US.

I did not say it is the gospel, but I do think it says something when so many legendary artists have these things to say about someone. As for the second part of your sentence, that is just insulting. You honestly think that men like Jackie Wilson, James Brown and B.B. King only said these things about Elvis because they'd be afraid to say anything less than positive about a white star? You've got to be kidding me.

I did not cite that Jackie Wilson quote to bring up race, that's what you apparently read into it. I brought it up because you 'fixed' my original post where I said that Elvis was a legendary performer. Jackie Wilson's quote supports the idea that he was.

Elvis had a wider appeal because he was white no doubt, but to say his success came 'mainly' because he was white is laughable. Why did no other white artists at that time become nearly as successful as him, then? Ridiculous.

Also, do not forget that there was plenty of initial resistance against Elvis from white people because he performed 'black music' and because his stage mannerisms were deemed too sexual. What he did was groundbreaking in that regard, even if the music he performed was not particularly innovative.

Of course MJ had a wider range of abilities. But again, the only reason I mentioned this is because you say Elvis 'did not work'. When you look at how often he performed and how many albums he recorded, I cannot see how one can say that he 'did not work'.

As for his influence, I guess that depends on who you listen to. Have you ever considered the fact that Michael died almost 7 years ago, whereas Elvis has been dead for nearly 39? Many artists who themselves became legendary, like Bob Dylan who I cited above, might not even have gone into the business if it was not for Elvis initially inspiring them.

K, if that's what you think. :)

^^Yes. Elvis worked and worked hard and he was a huge influence on his contemporaries, the young rockers who came after him as well as pop culture.
As well as Sinatra did before him.

This is NOT a diss against Michael.

^^Yes. Elvis worked and worked hard and he was a huge influence on his contemporaries, the young rockers who came after him as well as pop culture.
As well as Sinatra did before him.

This is NOT a diss against Michael.

Yes I know Elvis had some influence and was a pop culture icon (I'm not denying that), but in all honestly I don't think it's quite as big as people say, and it really grinds my gears when people act as if he was some ground breaking innovator that created rock and roll when he wasn't (all he did was introduce it to and make it safe for a white audience).

And outside of touring, I honestly don't see what real work he did(I guess just singing in the studio counts to some people), which is why I asked my original question (that no one has really answered).

And I love Frank Sinatra's voice!
There hasn't been another crooner with a voice quite like his!
There's this cartoon I like where Frank Sinatra is a skunk and he has a bunch of other forest animals going crazy over him because of his voice LOL.

Last edited:
movies

And outside of touring, I honestly don't see what real work he did
If you think making around 35 movies as not work, I don't know what to tell you. :rofl: For a period, Elvis was the highest paid actor in Hollywood as he got a percentage of profits from his movies, which most Hollywood actors did not get at the time. They just got a upfront salary.

Re: movies

If you think making around 35 movies as not work, I don't know what to tell you. :rofl: For a period, Elvis was the highest paid actor in Hollywood as he got a percentage of profits from his movies, which most Hollywood actors did not get at the time. They just got a upfront salary.

I mean't as a music artist not as an actor. :yes:
And for him to be remembered as some musical giant (on par with the Beatles and MJ) I really don't see what he did that was so amazing outside of being a good singer, but if someone could tell me I may change my mind.

Last edited:
I mean't as a music artist not as an actor. :yes:
And for him to be remembered as some musical giant (on par with the Beatles and MJ) I really don't see what he did that was so amazing outside of being a good singer, but if someone could tell me I may change my mind.
I'm not an Elvis fan although I saw lots of his corny movies at the neighborhood theater when I was little.

But he really kicked open barriers between black and white rock and roll where everybody was into it. It wasn't whitewashed like Pat Boone, etc. Sinatra and his peers reign over popular music for the previous 25-30 years with the timeless jazz standards pretty much ended at that point.

I read an article the other day about one week in Elvis's life in 1954. He made about 100 appearances traveling all over to radio and tv stations. He was working.

And from what I read now, Elvis is way more popular in Europe now than here. I never him hear him sing unless I'm watching an old doc.

Edited to add: the old jazz standards/the American Songbook is MY kind of music. That's what I usually have playing and why I was considered an odd-wad back in my old school days.

Last edited:
I read an article the other day about one week in Elvis's life in 54. He made about 100 appearances traveling all over to radio and tv stations. He was working.

I imagine that those appearances were to further his career as a music artist, correct?
If so your the only one in this thread who has actually given me an answer.
Thank you. :)

Additionally, I'm aware that Elvis did build the bridge between black and white audiences so to speak (which was great because what brings people together better then music), but I personally can't see him as "The King" that so many people seem to think he is because his talent as an artist doesn't match his status (sorry guys but when it came down to it he was a great singer and he could emote, but thats about it), and because a lot of his competition at the time were null and void because they were black (I know he couldn't control it, but it did without a doubt help his success).

That isn't to say that other people can't think that Elvis isn't great, I just don't think he's that great (good maybe, but not great). :yes:

Also, from what (which admittedly isn't much as I'm not an Elvis fan) I know Elvis was a pretty nice person, so I have no problem with Elvis the man, I just think that Elvis the singer is overrated. :yes:

Last edited:
Yes I know Elvis had some influence and was a pop culture icon (I'm not denying that), but in all honestly I don't think it's quite as big as people say, and it really grinds my gears when people act as if he was some ground breaking innovator that created rock and roll when he wasn't (all he did was introduce it to and make it safe for a white audience).

And outside of touring, I honestly don't see what real work he did(I guess just singing in the studio counts to some people), which is why I asked my original question (that no one has really answered).

And I love Frank Sinatra's voice!
There hasn't been another crooner with a voice quite like his!
There's this cartoon I like where Frank Sinatra is a skunk and he has a bunch of other forest animals going crazy over him because of his voice LOL.

You can't be serious?! Singing in a studio doesn't count as real work?! That's just a ridiculous thing to say.

You really need to research Elvis as your comments about him are ignorant (I don't mean that in a nasty way). Elvis didn't have 'some influence'. He was the biggest artist of his generation. Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and many more are all influenced by him. Nor would there had been The Beatles (the biggest band ever) without Elvis.

Bob Dylan's highlight of his career is Elvis covering one of his songs. That's the impact Elvis had on a generation!

The man was a superstar. He holds the record for the most UK number ones (21) despite 1. being American and 2. never touring there!

Also, from what (which admittedly isn't much as I'm not an Elvis fan) I know Elvis was a pretty nice person, so I have no problem with Elvis the man, I just think that Elvis the singer is overrated. :yes:

It's good that you don't believe the nonsense written about Elvis as a person.

Elvis didn't even like being called 'The King Of Rock n Roll'. He told reporters and fans that Jesus Christ was The King. He's also said that Fats Domino was king. Other than his early music, not that much of the rest was really rock, especially not the movie soundtrack songs. Colonel Tom Parker was the cause of this, to tone down his earlier pre-Army image and make him safer. Elvis didn't like a lot of the songs he recorded for movies, but the Colonel insisted. The Colonel was also why Elvis never toured outside the USA. It was rumored that Parker was an illegal citizen and he was worried he wouldn't be let back in the country if he left. Also it was said that Parker broke the law in his home country and didn't want to go back to E It always seemed Elvis was working for Colonel Parker than the other way around.

Back