Hip Hop / Rap

well thats where our fnm thread comes in .. do we have a screechy rock music thread 🤔
we have 70's rock which I sometimes use and there is a classic rock thread which I mostly don't bother with. Otherwise I post stuff by category as in drums, bass, protest, er ... what else? Can't remember offhand.

Still not convinced we need an FNM thread but, then again, you could fill it up all on your own. Y'know, if you do one of your famous posting rampages, lol.

we have 70's rock which I sometimes use
i need to check that out more
and there is a classic rock thread which I mostly don't bother with.
fs girl :ROFLMAO:
Otherwise I post stuff by category as in drums, bass, protest, er ... what else? Can't remember offhand.

Still not convinced we need an FNM thread but, then again, you could fill it up all on your own. Y'know, if you do one of your famous posting rampages, lol.
Alright lets see here .I think it would be a good challenge

In 1994, a 20-year-old newcomer hailing from Queensbridge, New York, dropped an album that would go on to be considered one of the greatest and most influential hip-hop albums of all time. We’re talking about Nas’ 'Illmatic'. From his effortless flow to the depth of his lyrical prowess, Nas reshaped the entire genre with this album, setting a new benchmark for excellence. Enlisting the talents of some of hip-hop’s most legendary producers - Q-Tip, Pete Rock, DJ Premiere and Large Professor - Nas vividly captures the essence of life growing up in the projects of New York, against a backdrop of raw, boom bap beats. It’s ten sublime tracks, over 40 minutes, with no filler. An undisputed holy grail of hip-hop
I always liked Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones - Stage name Nas.

His top 5

what about freaks come out at night ?
and friends
by Whodini
i like [had cassette of it]

i think i like my rappers with a new York / new jersey accent best

i think i like my rappers with a new York / new jersey accent best
The accent def makes a big difference to me. It doesn't have to be about the quality of the song, it can be about other stuff. I do know what you mean. The accent and the phrasing.

The accent def makes a big difference to me. It doesn't have to be about the quality of the song, it can be about other stuff. I do know what you mean. The accent and the phrasing.
It is easy to make connections when it is online in text [for me], before it was always just there on cassette. or telly but as i read information , and string things /pattern together . the rappers i 'favour', That acccent and flow nearly always come from NY/ NJ. no matter the era so break beat down to gangsta rap...with the acceptance of G Funk . which was west side as appose to east side - G Funk was more mellow and i liked it for a long time. the longest time . I love it all and i know it all too.[confidently says this]

Seriously. Even just the name. I was already sold at the name. Bit like Boo-Yaa. I was halfway there with them even before I heard a note.

Wu Tang Clan. Even looks awesome written down. Plus I really like collectives.
YES GIRL YES
even just the two words, Yep. Wu were so different in every way. But i didn't care for anything after 1997 ..didnt like the the swarm/killer bees thing , only the early artistry. so after say 1998 , i went for Method man / Redman then.
[I love Tical - which is meth solo]

It is easy to make connections when it is online in text [for me], before it was always just there on cassette. or telly but as i read information , and string things /pattern together . the rappers i 'favour', That acccent and flow nearly always come from NY/ NJ. no matter the era so break beat down to gangsta rap...with the acceptance of G Funk . which was west side as appose to east side - G Funk was more mellow and i liked it for a long time. the longest time . I love it all and i know it all too.[confidently says this]
This is what I meant, saying it's your culture, not mine. I love bits of it, here and there but I wouldn't want to claim I know it, not real well, at any rate. And I've mostly only heard the mainstream stuff. I haven't dug deep into it. I mean, that's time I could be spending listening to rock bands screaming their heads off!

The other piece I saw ('50 years of hip hop') in the UK press was in the Sunday Times. No point in posting that, it'll be hidden behind a paywall. :(

This is what I meant, saying it's your culture, not mine. I love bits of it, here and there but I wouldn't want to claim I know it, not real well, at any rate. And I've mostly only heard the mainstream stuff. I haven't dug deep into it. I mean, that's time I could be spending listening to rock bands screaming their heads off!

The other piece I saw ('50 years of hip hop') in the UK press was in the Sunday Times. No point in posting that, it'll be hidden behind a paywall. :(
what do you think of this one. C.R.E.A.M. [Cash rulez everything around me]

@zinniabooklover Well i love those links you just shared. that's more than enough inspiration / information than this thread needs.

Back