How did songs get leaked?

sales

If fans (or anybody else) hears them for free months or years before an official release then they ARE less likely to buy them.
But a lot of the younger generations don't buy albums anyway, even of newer current artists that are hot. They don't have anything to play a CD or record on. They stream it, that's why Billboard & RIAA now counts a certain amount of streams as a sale of an album. Although nothing was actually bought, not even a paid download. It's like when Prince released Musicology and gave away a CD with each concert ticket and it was considered a sale. If a family of 5 went to the concert, then they were given 5 CDs.

Re: sales

even if the mj estate's projects are considered disrespectful, leaking and pirating mj material is disrespectful and damaging.

Amen.

if unreleased songs or videos are leaked and shared across the internet, even if on private parts of mj fan forums, that does devalue them. It is damaging. If fans (or anybody else) hears them for free months or years before an official release then they are less likely to buy them. If an album of previously leaked mj tracks was released, or if a dvd/bluray of leaked video was released and you had 'owned' all of them in your playlist for years would you really buy the album/dvd? How many people do you think would do that in that scenario? I suggest that fewer people would buy the album/dvd than if they hadn't already listened to the songs or hadn't already watched the videos many, many times before.

I can't take you seriously if you believe exactly the same number of people would buy the dvd/album regardless of whether the material had already leaked or not.

Therefore financial damage is caused by those leaks.

Piracy reduces the mj estate's potential income stream. Of course it does. It's a fact. It's why record companies and artists (including mj himself!) object to piracy so much! Arguing against that is just silly imo.

Whether you agree with the estate's projects or not, whether you think they're disrespectful or not, it doesn't change what i said above.

I've said all i can say on this subject now and will end up repeating myself again so no more arguing from me unless i have something new to add.

All of this.

dam2040;4231448 said:
Hold my hand leak might’ve changed the course of history. Would TII have happened? Who knows

A very interesting thought to ponder and it makes me feel really sad to think that had the song not leaked, things might have been so different for Michael. Sigh.

No, Hotstreet, Nite Line, She's trouble and carousel first! I remember download them maybe in 1997/1998
Were they already avaible in 1997, really?

I remember seeing them on google groups in early 1999. Also on the morning of the MJ&Friends concert in Munich some fans were copying those songs from cassette to cassette. (Some even onto VHS tapes due to the fact the store near the hotel ran out of audio cassettes).

The not so original cartman. Those were or shall i say werent the days?
Cartman was Brawley, right? The dude had all five 2001 special edition acetates.

Back