How old were you when you started listening to Michael Jackson?

Re: How old was you when you started to listnening to Michael Jackson?

For me it would of been '06/'07 when I was around 11 or 12, found the History album in our house and I used to listen to the greatest hits disc all the time (even remember sitting in the hallway flicking through the booklet the first time). I even took it to school one day to play on the CD player even though mum told me not too, oops. :cheeky: I also remember back then seeing Michael videos on TV a lot, Remember the Time and Thriller stood out for me (back when they used to play music videos on TV). Another thing, I remember when I got my first laptop in 2008 and seeing Thriller 25 on iTunes which made me get into the Thriller album. The rest is history.

Mum got History back in '95 when I was a bub and she told me that there was one particular track from the history album (disc 2) that I would dance to as a baby but she forgot the song, and its bugs me so much cause I would love to know what song it was (because technically that song would've been my first favourite Michael song. I'm secretly hoping it was Tabloid Junkie cause thats an all time favourite, but I guess I'll never know...)

that's funny, we started liking him at around the same time and around the same age ! :)

I remember being in target (which is a big convenience/department store for those of you who aren't from the u.s.)

We have Target in Australia, and Woolworths.

Oh snap, story time ^_^ I became a BIG fan when I was 2! And the reason I know this is because my grandmother always makes it a point to tell me this whenever I'm near her. I liked his music as a baby, but when I hit two it was like loooove *.* my grandpa had Moonwalker on tape and I used to wear the mess outta that tape maaan :giggle: he was just so cool that I had to watch him over and over. The first song I remember hearing was Bad, and bruuhh, I was mad crushing on him in the video. I'm 15 about to be 16 now so I know you can all do the math :D and I saw some people who said they were 10 about to be 11 when he passed just like me, so are you guys late teens like me? -.- I am waaay late.

I was the same when I was 5/6, I was jealous when he married LMP, I wanted to marry him dammit! :giggle:

:lmao: I got so mad when I found out he was with her, even though I wasn't even born yet. Like "Michael NOOOOOO! You're supposed to be for meeeee!" But then I realized, he's always gonna mentally be my husband :giggle: with Jimi Hendrix

Been loving Michael pretty much since birth, my parents swear they could never get me to sleep as a baby unless OTW was on constant play :lol: Grew up being mesmerized by Beat It, Billie Jean And Thriller but when Bad hit all hope was gone for me lol. He's been the one constant in my life I could always count on, always there for both joy and sorrow. Got a few chances to see him during the tours but life seemed to always be in the way, something I will never forgive myself for. Was gonna redeem myself with TII, was so excited as my then partner was doing the staging for the shows and was gonna get me in backstage to see and maybe even talk to Michael ..It was hard then, it's been hard since and it's still, really hard.

Never let you part Michael :heart:

Oh snap, story time ^_^ I became a BIG fan when I was 2! And the reason I know this is because my grandmother always makes it a point to tell me this whenever I'm near her. I liked his music as a baby, but when I hit two it was like loooove *.* my grandpa had Moonwalker on tape and I used to wear the mess outta that tape maaan :giggle: he was just so cool that I had to watch him over and over. The first song I remember hearing was Bad, and bruuhh, I was mad crushing on him in the video. I'm 15 about to be 16 now so I know you can all do the math :D and I saw some people who said they were 10 about to be 11 when he passed just like me, so are you guys late teens like me? -.- I am waaay late.

Bad is when all hope for me was lost!! I'm 15 I'll be 16 in November!

For me it would of been '06/'07 when I was around 11 or 12, found the History album in our house and I use to listen to the greatest hits disc all the time (even remember sitting in the hallway flicking through the booklet the first time).

Mum got History back in '95 when I was a bub and she told me that there was one particular track from the history album (disc 2) that I would dance to as a baby but she forgot the song, and its bugs me so much cause I would love to know what song it was (because technically that song would've been my first favourite Michael song. I'm secretly hoping it was Tabloid Junkie cause thats an all time favourite, but I guess I'll never know...)

Similar to mine! My parents got HIStory back in 1995, I found it in 2008 when I was 12 and I played HIStory all the time :)

You should play her some of the songs off HIStory! Who knows, she might remember? Alternatively you could try and look through old home videos, she might've recorded you dancing and even better, you'd have video of a little you jammin to MJ :D

Shamon.

Last edited:

I was around 5 years old. That was in 1987, and I'm currently 31.

Bad is when all hope for me was lost!! I'm 15 I'll be 16 in November!

I know right?! Everytime I see the video I just stare at my screen and fan girl over the curls! Lawd :p and you are? You're older than me! I'll be 16 the day after Christmas, but ayee! xD We were both born later in 1998.

It was in 2011 and I was 12 years old when I really discovered Michael. I listened song before at 8/9 years old but it was just because he was a legend so it was like a classic for me. However I remember that I always cried when I listened to you are not alone. So I discovered him at 12 it was on his death birthday and they were showing his 2001 concert in Staples Center. And I was thoroughly mesmerized :wild::clapping::wub::rollin::woohoo::jumpcrazy:clap::punk:
So it began like this and then I do research and so and on and so forth and the difference between Michael and the other artits is that I never get bothered of him, it's always the same pleasure. He's a main part in music history and always will

It was in 2011, I was 12 years old when I discovered Michael. I listened some of his songs when I was 8/9 years old but it was because he's a legend so he's a classic. But I remember that I always cried when I watched you are not alone clip.
So I discovered him in 2011 it was for his birthday and they were showing on tv his 2001 concert in Staples center and I was mesmerized:wild::woohoo::rollin::jump::clap::clapping::wub::punk:
So it began like this then I do research and so and so forth but for me the difference between Michael and the other artists is that I never get bored og him, it's always the same pleasure, the same interest; nd that's something that i didn't get from any other artist before. I listened to them I listened to the new songs but Michael is always there

I was five. I remember seeing adverts on TV for Bad and being captivated, so my wonderful parents bought me the album on cassette for my 6th birthday and I played it to death (I still have it but would not recommend playing it, lol)Then they started advertising Moonwalker and the Making of was on tv. My dad recorded that for me and that also got played to death. Moonwalker was the first film I went to the cinema to see, a few weeks later.

Believe it or not, I only heard one or two Michael Jackson songs via the radio or music videos on TV (Thriller and Black or White) until I was about 18 years old. The rest I remember was usual media garbage on TV. Keep in mind, I was born in the early 90s, and, more importantly, was pretty sheltered by my parents and from the Internet, until late high school. At 18, while cleaning my room, I came across the HIStory CD in my stepdad's music collection and popped it in my stereo system for background music. It had been a year since Michael's passing, and I thought "Everyone under the sun said this guy created great music. Why not give it a listen?"

...and the rest is HIStory, pun completely intended :D I've been Michaeling since that day in 2010, and haven't looked back.

I was about 2 years old (1992/1993)... My mom always tells me that I was fascinated with the Remember the Time video, I kept staring at the tv every time it was broadcasted lol And when I was 7, my dad showed me Thriller and Beat It (he even danced along :doh:). But what really made me a fan was Moonwalker for Genesis, that game was just so cool haha :p

I was 9 or 10 when I got pulled into mj mania lol. 1998 and 1999. It was the HBO dangerous tour concert. It was literally the best thing I'd ever seen and I was just amazed at how beautiful and exciting the performance was. It was the first time I really had an emotional reaction to a freakin concert on tv lol. And in general, MJ himself was just fascinating. You can't keep your eyes off of him. It was like watching a magic show but it was just singing and dancing lol

I knew of MJ before then of course, grew up listening to his music and was kinda partial to his style - but I was never a fan.

(For example, I was so clueless - and I laugh about it now, but someone had revealed to me when I was like 6 that the guy in the Childhood music video was Michael Jackson. I was so freakin shocked cuz for some odd reason I hadn't gotten the memo that his skin had turned white lol all I knew back then was that MJ was the guy who did thriller and Billie Jean. I might have assumed the guy who did remember the time and bad was a completely different artist. Like I said - clueless lol so after hearing that news I was scratching my head as to how the guy who did Billie Jean was the same guy in childhood. Funnily enough I didn't automatically think he betrayed his race or bleached his skin - I thought he used magic or something lol MJ was a freakin shapeshifter to me when I was little lol)

Anyway I was hooked after that concert, I had to know everything about him lol

4 years old. End of 1982.

i was 8 years old and world had just gone mad for thriller. it was a magical time.

I started listening when I was about 10 . I was embarrassed to admit it because all the kids at my school used to make fun of mj, calling him a freak and made tasteless jokes about him and little boys. My mom used to be a major mj fan back in the 80's and played a lot of mj classics such as "thriller" and "rock with you" that's how I got introduced to mj's music.

Jackson Five and Thriller were given to me around age 5. I would listen to them and dance in my living room for hours. Probably listened to him sooner than that--what can I say? My parents had good taste!

I was born in 1991, so It was on Dangerous Era. My brother was MJ's fan and I remember listening MJ songs with him.

I was about 16 in 2005. Late 2005 is when I started to get into MJ.

I was born in 1987, and my Mum used to be a single parent, so when it was just her and I, she would put the Dangerous album on (I still have that same CD and still play it often) and we would dance around the living room (I was about 5 or 6?) When MuchMusic was airing Ghosts, I taped it on VHS and started watching it every Halloween (and still do.) Then the Madison Square Garden show came out and I rewatched it over and over (again VHS taped from tv :p), and it was then that I became part of an MJ website (I can't remember what it was called, but I assume it must have been the official MJ site back when it was still an active forum?) I remember I used to get in s**t a lot because I filled our computer with all the MJ photos I had saved. I got the 2002 Vibe magazine (which sadly I lost in a move years ago), and my best friend bought me the Invincible CD for my birthday when it was first released (best friend ever.) I even remember taping "For All Time" off the radio on cassette tape (ah the good old days.) I kind of took a "break" during my angsty teenage years, but I tried to follow the Sony case, and then after the 2005 trial when he sort of fell off the map, I didn't reconnect with the fandom again until TII was announced (I was 21? at this point.) I even used my friends credit card at the time to secure 2 tickets for his original 10 show dates. When he died in 09, I met up with some MJ fans at a memorial tribute in my hometown and connected with 2 girls there who wanted to go down to LA/Neverland and be a part of it all, so after knowing them for about 3 days, we got in the car and drove to LA together, and it was then that I really got a taste of the real life MJ chaos. That story is a whole other conversation (I mentioned in another thread that Jermaine almost ran me over :p) So I guess you could say I've been a fan for almost 20 years give or take :)

Last edited:

I was 3 or 4 when I first heard Black or White (born in Dangerous era), Dad got the Dangerous cassette and we used to blast off the songs in our new stereo. :D I listened to MJ whenever his videos came on MTV. YRMW was the last song of his which I saw on TV. After that I got into his music in 2011. Now 90% of my playlist are his songs. :D

I was in 3rd grade & it was in 1989 when i borrowed the BAD LP from a class mate.
Before that i remember being in awe watching Bad, DD & TWYMMF short films on tv. After that i saw Moonwalker for the first time & it was completely over for me ;) i never recovered.
Then came the incredible Dangerous era & my first concert in Munich, attending the premiere of the Dangerous World Tour... From there it went & so many years have passed by.
I had the special hospitality tickets for the O2 in 2009... I still can't believe this had to happen. Still can't believe he'll never come back. Very sad & it's also something i will never recover from.

I was about 20 when I started listening to him knowing who he was. I had listened to some of his songs randomly and I didn't have any idea who was singing.

I was like 11 or 12 I guess. The first time I really saw Michael was on the german show Wetten Dass ..? I just loved his whole appereance there. From then on i started reading about him and just fell in love.

Back