How old were you when you started listening to Michael Jackson?

Re: How old was you when you started to listnening to Michael Jackson?

My first memory of Michael is sitting on a popcorn tin when I was three or four years old watching Will You Be There on a Free Willy VHS that my sister got for Christmas. I was definitely mesmerized. I didn't start listening to his music a lot until I was 14, though. I got Thriller for my birthday, and the rest is HIStory...

I became a fan last year, when I was 13, and that's when I really started to listen to Michael's music. I'm 14 now.

I believe I was very young like 9-10. I heard his music many times. My mom and dad are Asian and did not listen to much American music even though I was born in the states. The one thing they knew about American music was that Michael Jackson was big. My parents bought the Moonwalker tape and I used to play it relentlessly. I was in love with Speed demon. I thought the cartoons and his dancing and smile was great. His smile literally made me fall in love. What made my obsession stop was not my own doing. Space Jam the movie came out and my sister started to cry and want to play that movie relentlessly as well. I remember for some reason she took out my Moonwalker movie and the strips of tape somehow came out and she broke it. I cried for a long time but my mom just told me to watch Space Jam. For the record Moonwalker in my opinion isn't that great now that I watch it now. It was just his music and his dancing that pulled me in. I felt like I could feel what he was feeling when I saw him. I just Youtube his videos now and his voice always makes me feel better. Thank you Michael for these memories. They make me feel humble and human every time I get ahead of myself. I will always hold Michael in high esteem. He has taught me many life lessons even if he never knew it and I appreciate him as a person as well as an artist. Thank you Michael.

I was 16 years old, I bought Bad with my first earned money.

Oops, I meant to also say that I don't remember my first memory of Michael because his songs were always playing randomly somewhere but I remember being infatuated with him over Moonwalker. Sorry haha. I just read it over and realized I didn't say it.

was 8 years old when i tried to sing ??D song.I liked it very much.Till now i dont stop hearing Michael

Last edited:

7 or 8 when Off The Wall came out.

Big fan when Thriller was released.

Massive fan after Bad

And then pathetically sycophantic with Dangerous.

I was seven when Thriller was released but I don't recall that album or it's hit's until I was older.
I had obviously heard MJ songs but it wasn't until the build up to the Bad release that I say I became a fan so that would have made me twelve.
That's when I started listening to Michael.....and I have never looked back...what a man,what an inspiration,what amazing songs,what amazing performances,fantastic videos,simply a game changer!a visionary,a musical genius,a legend who's legacy will live forever through us fans and all the new ones who continue to be entertained by the magic that was Michael Jackson.....long live the king!!!!!!

I was two years old and I was born between we are the world and bad. I was two years old and became a fan almost instantly. It never stopped since then.

i would say i was 5 years old one of my earliest memorys is always singing the earth song lol also i remember my mum and dad gave me there Bad album unfortnally i dont have it anymore shame cause it would have been an orginal from 87.i got my first MJ album bought for me at this age History next one was probably dangerous then Invincible then i desided i wanted to buy all his solo albums.

I started listening when I was about 10 . I was embarrassed to admit it because all the kids at my school used to make fun of mj, calling him a freak and made tasteless jokes about him and little boys. My mom used to be a major mj fan back in the 80's and played a lot of mj classics such as "thriller" and "rock with you" that's how I got introduced to mj's music.
i know what you mean in the mid 90's young kids had no respect for Michael jackson so if you were a fan you were made fun of and had to listen to people saying why do you like that freak he was black but then turned his self white he always changes his face he touches kids all that bull shit.

i know what you mean in the mid 90's young kids had no respect for Michael jackson so if you were a fan you were made fun of and had to listen to people saying why do you like that freak he was black but then turned his self white he always changes his face he touches kids all that bull shit.

Honestly it continues to this day (but on a lesser scale). Year or two back when I was in high school, I was still occasionally being made fun of for MJ-related stuff.

I remember when I first got into him around 2008, I also kept my enjoyment of him on the lowdown simply because I wasn't sure how people would react.

Honestly it continues to this day (but on a lesser scale). Year or two back when I was in high school, I was still occasionally being made fun of for MJ-related stuff.

I remember when I first got into him around 2008, I also kept my enjoyment of him on the lowdown simply because I wasn't sure how people would react.

When i was a small kid i didnt care i never hid it but as i hit my teens,mid teens i hid it as it was not cool to be an mj fan but come my late teens i relised why be ashamed hes a legend a great singer great song writer and great dancer. so to any young fans out there still in school if your mates make fun of you cause your a mj fan just tell them where to go cause it is cool to be a mj fan.

This is going off topic a bit so sorry to the person who started this thread but i always and still do think it's digusting how much mj was slagged for crimes he was never convicted of then you have convicted peodo's like gary glitter slip under the radar.

Last edited:
age 8 or 9 I discovered the Jackson 5 and was captivated,trying to emulate the leads voice not knowing his name yet.Think few years later seeing J5 on American.bandstand
where they were introduced and heard michael's name and saw how he looked for the first time.

It was so long ago that I can't even remember exactly.

Irrespective of when and how it began I guess all that matters is this - he has been a huge part of my life, for two thirds of it so far..... :)

I think I was about 27 when I went into a The Wherehouse record store, early 80's, and intentionally flipped through the 45's to find Beat It. I had heard it on the radio and knew immediately I had to have that song to dance to.

And that was it for my owning Michael Jackson music until 2007. But I enjoyed that record very much back then. Yep. :yes:

9 yrs old - Billie Jean Video on a classics channel, followed by Jump by Van Halen :chillin:

Consciously around 1988~89 when i was 9~10 years old.

I remember my parents played the Thriller album way before that, and I, not really listening or knowning what i was talking about, just had some stupid comment for it because it was MJ.
Which in hindsight kind of astounds me... that his "weird" reputation had reached me even before his music. That's kind of sad and strange, as that must have been already in ~1985 or so.

The BAD song was what got me hooked on. I remember I couldn't get that Bassline out of my head and made my parents get the Cassette album for me..... :)

I honestly truly don't remember when he became 'part' of my life - he's always been a fixture. When I was 10 my parents got me Blood on the Dance Floor and Velvet Rope for Christmas, but I remember being obsessed with his music long before that.

Since I'm a teenager, I discovered Michael Jackson around 2007, when I was 7 or 8 years old :) My memories are quite vague but I think that I remember seeing him on TV for the first time where his different short films were playing :D I must have started to listen to him around then - since for Christmas of 2008 I got these:

the_best_of_michael_jackson_the_jackson_5_5159e.jpg

51BGXv%2BLiFL._SY300_.jpg

and I was overjoyed to receive them and instantly played them on my new stereo, if I remember rightly :D

I also got this back in around 2008:
517z_N0_TCDDL.jpg

Last edited:
This one's a complicated one, because there is no single point in my existence in which I could point to and unquestionable say was my first memory of MJ's music. My parent had the Thriller record (not album) on vinyl. That got played seasonally. I was always in awe at how distant his vocals were on that record, the high tenor, hiccups, percussive forceful drive through every lyric along with the uniqueness of song's theme. I was about 5 years old because of You Are Not Alone was a worldwide hit at that point.

I was 3 (while my mom would play Michael, Janet, and j5 prior to) Age 3, I remember it like it was 27 years ago.. wait, it was.... lol! We were in a store and I was drawn in by this mysterious cover of this guy with a white suit.. (Moonwalker VHS) I stopped my mom, asked her who that was.. She explained to me Michael Jackson and asked if I wanted the VHS.. It made such an impact on me I remember my 2nd time ever watching it specifically (1st I think I must have been too emotionally drawn in to remember my surroundings) I was watching my neighbor friends reactions to it, I kept looking over to make sure they saw how awesome it was...

as time went on my family thought It would be an obsessive faze I would grow out of... lol! WRONG...

I was about 10 , i got into music in general quite late i guess but my first album was Dangerous November 1991 , aged 12 , still remember my dad buying me it.

I got introduced to him after he passed away sadly, I knew who he was but hadn't heard nothing outside of Thriller (the song). I remember my mother talkin to me about him and hearing MITM and Smooth Criminal and Thriller and slowly becoming obsessed when I was 9. Then my parents bought me Dangerous, and the search for hapiness ended

I was 10 when I discovered Michael :blush: with "The girl is mine" on the radio and then laters 'fell in love' :blush: with seeing "Beat it" on tele :D

I first remember his music when I was 3 and a half in late 1979 when Rock with you was on the radio. I liked the song but was hardly a fan at that age. At 7 I was hooked on Billie Jean and Beat it, but again way too young to be a fan.

I did buy Bad when it came out in September 1987 and I was 11 years and 4 months old, so to the most conservative that counts.

That means I have known of Michael for approximately 91% of my life, now I am 39 and a fan at least 71% of my life, if that is not dedication what is?

My first real memory is listening to 'The girl is mine' on one of my brother's cassettes and falling in love with his voice - especially the "I'm a lover not a fighter"-part melted my little 5 y/o heart:lol: I also very distinctly remember being completely fascinated with him when I first saw him on TV in Black or White when I was 6 or 7, I thought he was just so beautiful! I've always had a thing for him but it's only been a couple of years since I got really into him as much as I am today tho, so I guess you could say that is when I really started listening to his music :yes:

Back