Invincible appreciation thread

The only thing I don't like about privacy is MJ's vocals. I don't like the way he sounds during the song. I don't find the intro insulting to the fans. Many Fans can be very annoying and way too dramatic and emotional when they encounter their favourite celebrities. I'm pretty sure MJ experienced a lot of crazy fan encounters during his life and it must have been annoying for him sometimes.
Good point. I always felt the young kids voice was from MJ's perspective and he felt guilted into meet and greet mode. I like the instrumtation also. The guitar on the MOV vinyl sounds great IMO.

What would be your ideal Invincible track list Mr R? Anyone else care to add their ideal track list?

It'd be called Whatever Happens and go a little something like this:

Whatever Happens
You Rock My World
Threatened
Speechless
Slave To The Rhythm
Escape (proper spelling!)
Blue Gangsta
Butterflies
2000 Watts
Invincible (but a different production)
Heartbreaker (no rap)
We've Had Enough

It'd be called Whatever Happens and go a little something like this:

Whatever Happens
You Rock My World
Threatened
Speechless
Slave To The Rhythm
Escape (proper spelling!)
Blue Gangsta
Butterflies
2000 Watts
Invincible (but a different production)
Heartbreaker (no rap)
We've Had Enough
Interesting album. We've Had Enough would make a good album closer. I never really connected with Blue Gangsta. You've cut all the balladry which probably does improve things. Whatever Happens is more of an optimistic title than Invincible. The tracks that didn't make the album are so good.

Interesting that you've grouped Slave/Escape/Gangsta all together, intentional?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I don't like about privacy is MJ's vocals. I don't like the way he sounds during the song. I don't find the intro insulting to the fans. Many Fans can be very annoying and way too dramatic and emotional when they encounter their favourite celebrities. I'm pretty sure MJ experienced a lot of crazy fan encounters during his life and it must have been annoying for him sometimes.

It is basically saying fans are annoying and a problem. The little girl saying to her mum "look its Michael Jackson" is particularly insulting, why wouldn't a little girl be happy to see her idol? It just comes off as a bit careless Tbh.

Also, I agree his voice sounds a hit strange, it's pitched down, that's probably why. In general I like it, just the intro is very heavy handed and poorly thought out.

It is basically saying fans are annoying and a problem. The little girl saying to her mum "look its Michael Jackson" is particularly insulting, why wouldn't a little girl be happy to see her idol? It just comes off as a bit careless Tbh.

I hate this about the song. None of them sound like the paparazzi that actually hounded him. Everyone actually seems quite polite in the intro!

Xscape
Heartbreaker
Hollywood Tonight
Break of Dawn
Heaven Can Wait
You Rock My World
Butterflies
Speechless
Unbreakable (with shorter intro)
You Are My Life
She Was Loving Me
We've Had Enough
The Lost Children
Threatened
Whatever Happens
Much Too Soon

I know MTS is an old song, but MJ had put old songs on albums in the past, and it does work if you listen to it (I made this version of the album on my iTunes playlist and it sounds awesome).
This rocks! Might try this version. :cool:

Yeah that's a good point.

What would be your ideal Invincible track list Mr R? Anyone else care to add their ideal track list?

1) Unbreakable
2) Heartbreaker (Without the rap)
3) Butterflies
4) Break Of Dawn
5) Blue Gangsta
6) She Was Loving Me
7) Hollywood Tonight
8) Speechless
9) 2000 Watts
10) You Are My Life
11) Xscape
12) A Place With No Name
13) The Lost Children
14) Whatever Happens
15) Threatened
16) We've Had Enough

1) Unbreakable
3) Butterflies
4) Break Of Dawn
5) Blue Gangsta
6) She Was Loving Me
7) Hollywood Tonight
8) Speechless
9) 2000 Watts
10) You Are My Life
11) Xscape
12) A Place With No Name
13) The Lost Children
14) Whatever Happens
15) Threatened
16) We've Had Enough

Man that sounds like an amazing album. I should make this into a playlist I reckon :)

1) Unbreakable
3) Butterflies
4) Break Of Dawn
5) Blue Gangsta
6) She Was Loving Me
7) Hollywood Tonight
8) Speechless
9) 2000 Watts
10) You Are My Life
11) Xscape
12) A Place With No Name
13) The Lost Children
14) Whatever Happens
15) Threatened
16) We've Had Enough
A Place With No Name! Nice! I'm beginning to think MJ had too many quality tracks to choose from for this album. He could have released a double album.

Same thing that happens in the video of "Speed Demon." A little kid screams "Look it's Michael Jackson" and the tourists in the bus go chasing him down.

Wasn't always paps that were freaking out and chasing him.

Yeah that's a good point.

I hate this about the song. None of them sound like the paparazzi that actually hounded him. Everyone actually seems quite polite in the intro!

LOL at people being mad/irritated about words in a song meanwhile had Michael actually ignored certain kids he would have been much better off.
Also being hounded by people on a constant can be taxing even if they are fans, and you have to keep in mind that Michael's level of fame wasn't normal.
He couldn't go to the middle of nowhere without having a crowd either following him or being there when he arrived.
Hell, some crazy deranged fans have harmed or killed celebs (and yes, even seemingly polite fans can be crazy).

Lastly, in reality we all know that Michael was extremely kind and giving to kids and his fans, so all things considered being mad/irritated about a part of a song is kinda petty. :/

Anywho back to the topic of the thread.
I love Unbreakable!
The song/lyrics are pretty much a big FU to all of the people that tried to trash Michael and keep him down, and I love it!:D

Last edited:
LOL at people being mad/irritated about words in a song meanwhile had Michael actually ignored certain kids he would have been much better off.
Also being hounded by people on a constant can be taxing even if they are fans, and you have to keep in mind that Michael's level of fame wasn't normal.
He couldn't go to the middle of nowhere without having a crowd either following him or being there when he arrived.
Hell, some crazy deranged fans have harmed or killed celebs (and yes, even seemingly polite fans can be crazy).

Lastly, in reality we all know that Michael was extremely kind and giving to kids and his fans, so all things considered being mad/irritated about a part of a song is kinda petty. :/

Anywho back to the topic of the thread.
I love Unbreakable!
The song/lyrics are pretty much a big FU to all of the people that tried to trash Michael and keep him down, and I love it!:D
It irks me too. Paparazzi, OK, but Michael clearly loved his fans and loved the sense of Michael Mania. This was one of the biggest artistic mis steps of his career. It may have been someone elses idea, but its a little rich to include excited fans in the intro.

Same thing that happens in the video of "Speed Demon." A little kid screams "Look it's Michael Jackson" and the tourists in the bus go chasing him down.

Wasn't always paps that were freaking out and chasing him.
Yeah but theyre eyes went BLACK and scary so he HAD to run! The kids in Privacy didnt sound like they had black clay motion eyes!!! Ha

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It irks me too. Paparazzi, OK, but Michael clearly loved his fans and loved the sense of Michael Mania. This was one of the biggest artistic mis steps of his career. It may have been someone elses idea, but its a little rich to include excited fans in the intro.

*sigh*
I suppose that some people would have to spend some time as Michael to understand just how overwhelming his day to day life could be, and how even his fans could have added to that stress at times. :/

*sigh*
I suppose that some people would have to spend some time as Michael to understand just how overwhelming his day to day life could be, and how even his fans could have added to that stress at times. :/
I disagree, had it been just paparazzi or rude fans then fair enough. "Mommy mommy, its Michael Jackson" has no place in the intro to Privacy.

I disagree, had it been just paparazzi or rude fans then fair enough. "Mommy mommy, its Michael Jackson" has no place in the intro to Privacy.

K, If that's what you think, however it was Michael's kindness and love of children in particular that ended up making a good amount of his life miserable because his love of children and willingness to help them made him a target.
That "Mommy mommy, it's Michael Jackson" in Privacy doesn't bother me in the least.

And I still believe that some people including yourself would have to be in Michael's shoes to understand. :/

I know at times he seemed to enjoy the spectacle of it all, but that doesn't give fans cart blanche to treat him like a caged animal and expect him to never complain about it.
Exactly, that's why think that the only way for some people to understand would be for them to actually experience what Michael did.

The song is about the press hounding him, not fans and little girls excited to see him. The intro is insulting to fans and unnecessary.

K, If that's what you think, however it was Michael's kindness and love of children in particular that ended up making a good amount of his life miserable because his love of children and willingness to help them made him a target.
That "Mommy mommy, it's Michael Jackson" in Privacy doesn't bother me in the least.

And I still believe that some people including yourself would have to be in Michael's shoes to understand. :/

Yeah I agree. Being a famous celebrity isn't easy when you have fans who mobbed you everytime you leave your house. Michael couldn't do the normal things such as going out to shopping, going to movies, going to a beach etc not because of paparazzi but because of annoying and overly excited fans who didn't respect Michael's right to his privacy and normal life and constantly hounded him. I don't find the Privacy intro offensive at all.

Last edited:
Well, overall I like Invincible very much. Great album.

Err, I don't really like it.
It's the only album from MJ that I don't have on my spotify playlist. I tend to skip over the tracks when I come across it.
Disappointing tbh.

Yeah, I can't say that's ever offended me neither to be honest.

I don't like it, and I even remember in 1988 being a little irked by the intro before Speed Demon in Moonwalker. I'm not talking massively offended here, it just pisses me off when people complain about their fans. And I know he went through a lot being hounded etc. But this isn't people breaking into his hotel room or grabbing him off stage, it's simple fans recognising him which he spent his life chasing really.

Anylike like I've said before I'd forgive the intro if the song was any good. It isn't.

I think my ambivalence towards Invincible may just be because there are bad songs on there and previously there never were. There was the odd average song on OTW e.g. Girlfriend, Thriller had Baby Be Mine and Bad had JGF, but they are only average when surrounded by the best songs of all time.

In fact the only time I ever realised MJ was ever capable of making a below par song was D.S. On HIStory and even that deserved his place as the album is essentially a concept album, and D.S and an integral part of the story it tells.

So imagine my disappointment after twenty plus years of super fandom of hearing songs like Privacy, and Don't Walk Away. Plus they surrounded by only good or very good songs. no Earth Song or TDCAU to make up for them.

I can't believe you've got me Invincible bashing again, I hate you all.

It's becoming a vendetta now. You're on a hate crusade.
I think we need to all cry at the same time tonight. Hows 10.30pm for you?

Fine for me and R. Kelly's on his way...

I told him to drive down, but he believes he can fly.

@Tony

I don't like it either, but I'm not offended by it. I'm not a fan of the song and hate the lyrics.

With regards the the other songs from other albums you mentioned Baby Be Mine, JGF, D.S. I actually love all those album tracks myself.

I think I'm done on Invincible for awhile. I've enjoyed it the past 4 days and it's somewhat better than I felt but yeah I have to be honest and say it's still probably not near the brilliance of the other albums. But.... I like it some.

I think I've reached a point where I don't know how I feel about it anymore.

Back