Invincible appreciation thread

I know, I'm probably on my own here, but in terms of pure musical enjoyment, I rate Xscape massively better than Invincible.
Woah! Now hold on one gawd damn minute! I like Xscape taken on face value it's the most fun I've had with an MJ release in a long time...But....but... Unbreakable, Heartbreaker, Invincible, Break of Dawn, You Rock My World, Butterflies, Speechless, You Are My Life, Whatever Happens and Threatened are all somewhere between great and superb!

Heaven Can Wait and The Lost Children; ones a grower and the other is marmite. Cry and Privacy somehow ended up on it. If the album had been mastered as good as Thriller, Bad, Dangerous and HIStory it would have made a massive difference.

Woah! Now hold on one gawd damn minute! I like Xscape taken on face value it's the most fun I've had with an MJ release in a long time...But....but... Unbreakable, Heartbreaker, Invincible, Break of Dawn, You Rock My World, Butterflies, Speechless, You Are My Life, Whatever Happens and Threatened are all somewhere between great and superb!

Heaven Can Wait and The Lost Children; ones a grower and the other is marmite. Cry and Privacy somehow ended up on it. If the album had been mastered as good as Thriller, Bad, Dangerous and HIStory it would have made a massive difference.

Those songs are good, but they don't sound like MJ songs (except Speechless & The Lost Children), the songs on Xscape do.

I can't believe any amount of re-mastering can make the songs sound that much better, it's not sound quality that makes the songs sound poor, it's the lack of heart.

Those songs are good, but they don't sound like MJ songs (except Speechless & The Lost Children), the songs on Xscape do.

I can't believe any amount of re-mastering can make the songs sound that much better, it's not sound quality that makes the songs sound poor, it's the lack of heart.

While I agree the sound is better on vinyl and some songs sound better, it still lacks the energy that every other MJ album has, so hearing it clearer didnt really move it on the list I have.

Invincible is the only album where the outtakes outweigh a lot of the officially released content in quality for me. Streetwalker is as close as it gets for me on any other album as a debate, but Another Part Of Me deserves its place.

Invincible SHOULD have had Weve Had Enough, Xscape, Blue Gangsta, Hollywood Tonight, Another Day, She Was Loving Me.

I will always have suspicions about Invincible and the reason behind leaving off the above songs.

And yes, Invincible is the LEAST sounding MJ album there is for me, aside from Speechless, Cry and Privacy.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I could have copy and pasted this from several of my posts in the past......

Time warp.....

Xscape sucks donkey balls compared to Invincible. Although I do agree that the song Xscape should've been on Invincible in place of Privacy. And Don't Walk Away should've been replaced with We've Had Enough.

But then I also think MJ made a mistake not putting Behind The Mask on Thriller, and that idea went down like a led balloon when I suggested it on here once, so what do I know?

I missed when you said that. Behind The Mask was one of his biggest wasted opportunities. Such a good song.

Here's an unpopular opinion, Brad Sundberg prefers Butterflies to Liberian Girl..
From what I've heard he's not a fan of the Invincible album but remains diplomatic. Nice to hear Brad likes Butterflies, gutted I couldn't make his seminars last year.

Here's some unpopular opinions

The Lost Children is one of the best songs on Invincible
Cry isn't as bad as people say it is

Last edited:
If only Threatened got that short film that Michael wanted.

I am surprised over the people saying they don't like "Don't Walk Away". That song is beautiful. As for my favorite on the album, easily Butterflies. I didn't realize that though until a few weeks ago.

I agree with both of these.

I love the last four songs of the album and think they flow really well together. The only part of the album that doesn't work 2000 Watts/YAML/Privacy/DWA. The only track that I'd keep from that section is YAML and I'd replace the other three with Xscape, WHE and Hollywood Tonight.
I'm listening to that sequence of tracks right now (Side 4 of the MOV) and Cry is better than I remember although it is something of a poor mans MITM right down to the "change the world" at the end. Side 1 is brilliant; Unbreakable, Heartbreaker, Invincible, Break of Dawn, and Side 2 is mature r&b slick; Heaven Can Wait, YRMW (I like the placing of YRMW as it sprinkles a bit of catchy pop between Heaven Can Wait and) Butterflies, Speechless. Side 3 is a bit iffy but I must say the sequencing makes more sense divided into 4 sides.

I don't think his other albums are exempt from this, it's just that they're so iconic as they are, you struggle to imagine them any other way. But there is no doubt in my mind that Bad would've had a stronger first half if they replaced Speed Demon with Streetwalker and Just Good Friends with Fly Away or a more completed version of Abortion Papers (that song is very underrated).

You have to be smoking the ganja to think that Behind The Mask is inferior to Baby Be Mine, PYT and The Girl Is Mine.

And HIStory would've been better replacing Come Together with Why or On The Line. Dangerous should've had Someone Put Your Hand Out in place of CLHGA.

I do agree there are a few examples of Invincible outtakes that are stronger than some of the album cuts. Hollywood Tonight could've replaced 2000 Watts imo. And it's a no brainer about We've Had Enough and Xscape. But the point I'm trying to make (albeit in typically long-winded MattyJam fashion), is that each MJ album had examples of outtakes which were stronger than some of the tracks which made the final albums.

Now I want to just see an album of originally unreleased MJ songs but packaged as a new album.

Like the album would have "Behind the Mask", "Streetwalker", "Abortion Papers", "Fly Away", "Somebody but your Hand Out", "On the Line", "We've Had Enough", "Xscape", "Hollywood Tonight (Original)", and "Another Day"

If only Threatened got that short film that Michael wanted.
Threatened is said to be one of the most expensive tracks he ever made because of what it cost to use the Rod Sterling monologues. Imagine what the short film would have cost! Would have been incredible though.

;)

APWNN, Xscape, We've Had Enough, Hollywood Tonight, Another Day and that's just off the top of my head right now.

I agree about APWNN, Xscape, WHE, HT but what's the MJ fam obsession with Another Day? It's such a boring and poor song. It's the worst MJ song by far and one of the worst songs that I've ever heard from any artist.

I enjoy a lot of the songs on Invincible myself but it's mediocre at best compared to his previous albums. Too much treading old ground with song themes. He had done it all before and I really doubt he was happy with what ended up being released.

I agree about APWNN, Xscape, WHE, HT but what's the MJ fam obsession with Another Day? It's such a boring and poor song. It's the worst MJ song by far and one of the worst songs that I've ever heard from any artist.

A bit of hyperbole there I feel, but agree with the sentiment. It's pretty average.

Invincible is my favourite MJ album along with OTW, probably because it's more R&B/soulful. Bad is too pop for my tastes, I love Dangerous, but HIStory is too angry and dark. Invincible has lots of beautiful, soulful harmonies and is up there with Thriller and OTW in being one of those albums that you can play and it makes you feel positive and uplifted.
I see people say the bolded a lot (that those who don't like Invincible don't realize that it has some kick ass R&B on it).
However, while your opinion of Bad is yours to have it would be remiss not to mention that HIStory was angry and dark as you describe it because of the things Michael had been through.

Overall, at this point and time I think more people like/love Invincible than those that don't, and I'm also sure that most Invincible hate/dislike is actually within the MJ fandom.:lol:

I really didn't care for the rap parts on Unbreakable, Heartbreaker and Invincible. I wish they were cut out to be honest

I never liked the rap parts in any MJ song... - Really I don't think there is a single rap section I think makes the song better...

Privacy is the worst song Michael Jackson ever officially released. True fact.

I think I agree actually.

I can't believe that made the album, but Xscape and We've Had Enough didn't.

Agreed.
Here's some unpopular opinions

The Lost Children is one of the best songs on Invincible
Cry isn't as bad as people say it is

I agree very much. - I have always liked The Lost Children. - Very sweet sogng - and great melody. Like People of The World. Melody is amazing.

Worst song from any artist...?? really. That does seem a bit drtamatic. I agree Another Day is not a song I hear much. It's not at all among his best work, BUT it is not among his worst either IMO. - 2000 Watts and Privacy is a lot worse...

Worst song from any artist...?? really. That does seem a bit drtamatic. I agree Another Day is not a song I hear much. It's not at all among his best work, BUT it is not among his worst either IMO. - 2000 Watts and Privacy is a lot worse...

2000 watts is way better than Another Day. Even Privacy is better.

I wanna hear the demo of Another Day. The guitar on the snippets sounds a lot better than what they did with the remix on Michael.

I wanna hear the demo of Another Day. The guitar on the snippets sounds a lot better than what they did with the remix on Michael.
He tried to funk it up and he failed (Lenny). The original had power and energy. The 2010 version just seemed forced and artificial.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I know people are shocked I love Cry and Privacy, but Im gobsmacked that The Lost Children is held in such high regard...

Diff'rent strokes eh?

I know people are shocked I love Cry and Privacy, but Im gobsmacked that The Lost Children is held in such high regard...

Diff'rent strokes eh?

I like privacy personally, but I understand why people don't like it. The intro is insulting to fans, portraying them as an annoyance and something he has to deal with, and the lyrics are a retread of most of the HIStory album. Retreading the same themes that he'd done to death already.

I like privacy personally, but I understand why people don't like it. The intro is insulting to fans, portraying them as an annoyance and something he has to deal with, and the lyrics are a retread of most of the HIStory album. Retreading the same themes that he'd done to death already.

Plus the chorus is awful and it goes on way too long.

The only thing I don't like about privacy is MJ's vocals. I don't like the way he sounds during the song. I don't find the intro insulting to the fans. Many Fans can be very annoying and way too dramatic and emotional when they encounter their favourite celebrities. I'm pretty sure MJ experienced a lot of crazy fan encounters during his life and it must have been annoying for him sometimes.

Back