Invincible Cover: Gold Vs Coloured Versions

Disgusting, cynical marketing ploy that treated Michael Jackson fans like idiots.

Don't forget they did exactly the same thing with Number Ones.

I wonder if the album would've even topped the charts without diehards buying multiple copies.

I wonder if the album would've even topped the charts without diehards buying multiple copies.

Yes, but even with that it was different pics, so you could choose your favourite era.

But to be so lazy that they just changed the colour!!! My God the indolence, mocking, contemptuousness of it really makes my blood boil...in all sorts of colours.

If people are dumb enough to buy multiple copies of the same album, then they deserve to be called an idiot. Anyone with common sense could see through that marketing ploy

If people are dumb enough to buy multiple copies of the same album, then they deserve to be called an idiot. Anyone with common sense could see through that marketing ploy
Why do you assume they weren't aware that it was a marketing ploy? Maybe they just didn't care. I only have the white/silver version myself, but if some fans wanted to buy multiple covers then more power to them. I don't think it was a particularly creative marketing strategy, but I really don't see what the big deal is.

Also, it skews the album sales. We always go on about how much of a success Invincible was selling 12 million. But if 2 million fans bought 2 or 3 copies the maybe this wasn't the case.

Why do you assume they weren't aware that it was a marketing ploy? Maybe they just didn't care. I only have the white/silver version myself, but if some fans wanted to buy multiple covers then more power to them. I don't think it was a particularly creative marketing strategy, but I really don't see what the big deal is.

It's just mind bogging to me why people would buy multiple copies of the same album, just because each colour of the album cover was different

Also, it skews the album sales. We always go on about how much of a success Invincible was selling 12 million. But if 2 million fans bought 2 or 3 copies the maybe this wasn't the case.
There have always been fans who have bought multiple copies of albums by their favourite artists though. I doubt the different covers had much of an additional effect.

I would buy the other versions if I find them. Only if they are cheap of course.

At least with that, it was different pictures, not tinted a different color.

I prefer the visions of dance photo's in the booklet..

I prefer the visions of dance photo's in the booklet..
I love that photoshoot. Like a modern day take on the dance photos from the Bad album centrefold. I also love the clothes he wore, very stylish.

I love that photoshoot. Like a modern day take on the dance photos from the Bad album centrefold. I also love the clothes he wore, very stylish.

yeah, i came up with ''visions of dance'' myself.. doesn't really have an official title! so i decided to call it that. It's pretty wonderful, especially the full sheet

yeah, i came up with ''visions of dance'' myself.. doesn't really have an official title! so i decided to call it that. It's pretty wonderful, especially the full sheet

I like the name. Thought I was a bad fan for not knowing it was called that.

I like the name. Thought I was a bad fan for not knowing it was called that.

I'll probably frame the very high resolution scan i got from a website that closed last year..

What's the big deal? Hardcore fans still buy multiple albums from their favorite artists. They keep one sealed, the other one framed, one for listening, and one to give away to your friends or whatever etc etc.

I don't see what the big deal is. You just had the luxury to own Invincible in different colors.

As a collector who buys multiple copies I find your post very offensive, calling people idiots for buying more than one copy? Why does it matter to you what people spend their money on?

What's the big deal? Hardcore fans still buy multiple albums from their favorite artists. They keep one sealed, the other one framed, one for listening, and one to give away to your friends or whatever etc etc.

I don't see what the big deal is. You just had the luxury to own Invincible in different colors.

People always find something to complain about and turn a good thing or a harmless thing into a bad thing. That's human nature.

No matter who bought them, the album still sold that amount. That's irrelevant.

The collectors and hardcore fans never get the sales up by millions of copies. Every big singer out there have those fans who buy dozens of copies of the same album so it's a moot point. Sales data is not about how many people got the album, but how many copies sold - not just for Invincible but for every album.

If I'm not mistaken The Ultimate Collection sold around 900K copies its first year and its audience is manily the fans, unlike Number Ones that sold millions and its audience was the general public... unless you think the gap is because there are four different covers for Number Ones. I think it indicates that before 2009 Michael had around 1 million kickstart copies thanks to fans and collectors but these sales still count so like Onir said it's irrelevant.

No matter who bought them, the album still sold that amount. That's irrelevant.

Okay, so to confirm, if I win the lottery and buy 100 million copies of Bieber's next album, does that justifiably make it a bigger selling album than Thriller?

MJ fans are not the majority that buy / bought MJ albums. They are just a small part of the buyers I'd say. The collectors editions might boost sales a little bit (maybe the bit that could be needed to push the album one more position up in the charts), but that's it.

You can see this confirmed by the fact that true "collectors stuff" ususually is only made in limited editions of a couple of thousand copies. If it would be MILLIONS buying this, those limited editions would be way less limited.

Does anyone one know how many copies of those colored Invincible Albums were made?
I only bought the silver one back then. (There was no golden one!)

Last edited:
MJ fans are not the majority that buy / bought MJ albums. They are just a small part of the buyers I'd say. The collectors editions might boost sales a little bit (maybe the bit that could be needed to push the album one more position up in the charts), but that's it.

You can see this confirmed by the fact that true "collectors stuff" ususually is only made in limited editions of a couple of thousand copies. If it would be MILLIONS buying this, those limited editions would be way less limited.

Maybe, but we don't know, and that's the point I was making.

Okay, so to confirm, if I win the lottery and buy 100 million copies of Bieber's next album, does that justifiably make it a bigger selling album than Thriller?

The thing is, you pointed out Invincible when there's nothing that shows that the 12 million figure has something to do with a billionaire who bought 11 million copies of them. If there are fake figures make an album chart better then ofcourse it's wrong, but where's the evidence something like that ever happened with Invincible (Over other albums in the market) besides your unjustified bitterness towards its sales. You think they're too high? I think they're too low.

FINALLY the Invincible cover makes sense!

I always wondered what the hell this picture was all about:

tumblr_m1lvn7r8Zy1r0tbas.jpg

And now I see it was based on this

AlbertWatson_03_GoldenBoy.jpg

It's a shame Sony didn't allow MJ's original vision for the album cover. Although something seems a bit off with the MJ picture. MJ has always had a very distinct jawline and they've rounded it off on the Invincible cover. I suppose they did it to fit his face into a CD shaped cover, but you can't take what is a defining characteristic of someones appearance and just alter it like that, it doesn't look right.

The thing is, you pointed out Invincible when there's nothing that shows that the 12 million figure has something to do with a billionaire who bought 11 million copies of them. If there are fake figures make an album chart better then ofcourse it's wrong, but where's the evidence something like that ever happened with Invincible (Over other albums in the market) besides your unjustified bitterness towards its sales. You think they're too high? I think they're too low.

I'm sorry, at what point did I say any of that?! I'm glad it sold as well as it did and would love his last album to have sold 20m.

My point is,I can imagine this idea was developed by people in a room discussing h they could increase sales and can imagine one of them said 'Michael Jackson fans are so dumb they'll buy multiple copies even if we just change the colour of the front'

I find that disrespectful and rude that's all.

Maybe, but we don't know, and that's the point I was making.

Yes we do know that, based on collectors releases and based on the percentage of collectors in the fan communities. Look around, how many fans do you know? How many of them buy each album multiple times? And how many of those have more copies of Invincible than any other album they got multiple copies? If you don't know fans personally (collector or not), I think one of the biggest fan boards is a great sample group. Go ahead and ask. Because if you make such a statement on a single album you really need to back this up with facts, otherwise anyone of us can make weird claims about Michael and then say "we don't know for sure so you can't say I'm wrong."

Back