Invincible Cover: Gold Vs Coloured Versions

Yes we do know that, based on collectors releases and based on the percentage of collectors in the fan communities. Look around, how many fans do you know? How many of them buy each album multiple times? And how many of those have more copies of Invincible than any other album they got multiple copies? If you don't know fans personally (collector or not), I think one of the biggest fan boards is a great sample group. Go ahead and ask. Because if you make such a statement on a single album you really need to back this up with facts, otherwise anyone of us can make weird claims about Michael and then say "we don't know for sure so you can't say I'm wrong."

Of course it's not fact, but it's an educated opinion based on posts on this board and others from fans saying 'I bought multiple copies'.

Not sure why you're getting so defensive about this?

I'm sorry, at what point did I say any of that?! I'm glad it sold as well as it did and would love his last album to have sold 20m.

My point is,I can imagine this idea was developed by people in a room discussing h they could increase sales and can imagine one of them said 'Michael Jackson fans are so dumb they'll buy multiple copies even if we just change the colour of the front'

I find that disrespectful and rude that's all.

The moment you doubted the sales of one particular album.

Also, it skews the album sales. We always go on about how much of a success Invincible was selling 12 million. But if 2 million fans bought 2 or 3 copies the maybe this wasn't the case.

I also disagree that it's offensive, IMO it's not harmful and nobody forced fans to have more than one copy of this album... Some fans get the album more than once no matter what, why not let them have it in more colors?

I do agree with the underlined part...

Last edited:
tumblr_m1lvn7r8Zy1r0tbas.jpg

was this version (with all the hair) actually ever confirmed to be real/official?
I always thought its fan made. I mean every detail in this obviously photoshop'ed..
But did Michael approve this or was it made after the album release by a fan?

was this version (with all the hair) actually ever confirmed to be real/official?
I always thought its fan made. I mean its obviously a photo shop montage...
But did Michael approve this or is it fan made?

It's not fan made. It was printed in the official album sheet music book which I own somewhere.

tumblr_m1lvn7r8Zy1r0tbas.jpg

I gotta add, I always thought this picture resembled Mr Grasshead (anyone else have one of these when they were a kid?).

367_MrGrassHeadimgforwebsite.jpg

I think the golden child idea was kind of cool, but the eventual photoshoot was poorly executed.

Whatever happened with that photo shoot with the blue eye? I read somewhere that was supposed to be the cover.
I prefer that one.

Whatever happened with that photo shoot with the blue eye? I read somewhere that was supposed to be the cover.
I prefer that one.

I liked those as well. Quite futuristic and edgy, which is the sound he was going for with songs like Heartbreaker and 2000 Watts. But apparently Michael hated it and so did Sony. If you read the article Electro linked to (the post above yours) it goes into further detail. Something about the photographer or the stylist being gay and trying to hit on Michael. Poor guy.

I liked those as well. Quite futuristic and edgy, which is the sound he was going for with songs like Heartbreaker and 2000 Watts. But apparently Michael hated it and so did Sony. If you read the article Electro linked to (the post above yours) it goes into further detail. Something about the photographer or the stylist being gay and trying to hit on Michael. Poor guy.
Ah thanks. I had read the article but not the comments, which had another article. Karen can be a little nasty at times, can't she?
Oh well, I liked those pix.

So it seems that Sony decided to go futuristic and edgy with XScape. But as much as I dislike
the real Invincible cover, Xscape is worse. IMO.

Ah thanks. I had read the article but not the comments, which had another article. Karen can be a little nasty at times, can't she?
Oh well, I liked those pix.

So it seems that Sony decided to go futuristic and edgy with XScape. But as much as I dislike
the real Invincible cover, Xscape is worse. IMO.
I always thought the Xscape album cover was great. Much better than both Michael and Invincible. And is the first actual photo of Michael to appear on an album cover since Bad. Invincible was so heavily doctored I really don't think that counts.

I always thought the Xscape album cover was great. Much better than both Michael and Invincible. And is the first actual photo of Michael to appear on an album cover since Bad. Invincible was so heavily doctored I really don't think that counts.

Same. Amazing really that Bad was the last living album cover to properly feature his face. Speaks volumes.

Same. Amazing really that Bad was the last living album cover to properly feature his face. Speaks volumes.
And yet MJs image was on the cover of countless single covers in the 90s.

Do you think this was MJs choice or Sony's?

Good question. I think Dangerous and History are undoubtedly MJ. Not sure about BOTDF but Invincible is likely to be Sony, the cover combined with the single covers and the YRMW video was an obvious attempt to hide his face.

^^ Yeah, I pretty much agree on all counts.

I don't really get why Sony were so reticent to use his image for Invincible and its singles/videos etc. Obviously he wasn't looking his best back then, but MJ was the most famous man on the planet, it's not like anyone on planet earth didn't know what he looked like.

i liked the picture in the poster version but I could do without the cone on Xscape. I don't like the Michael cover either tho. The background is good but not the portrait.

i have all the covers lol
Me too! I just thought everyone should know lol. I actually saw them all a few weeks back in a secoundhand shop for like 2 quid each. I didn't get them but might pick them up if there still there next time I'm in. I did get The Ultimate Collection white box version for eight quid though, so now I've got both versions, but when I went to play the concert it's region one, which ive heard will work in my Xbox360?

I quite like the Xscape cover aswell. It gets a fair bit of stick but I like it. Also liked the background on Michael.

OnirMJ;4079671 said:
What?? Doesn't make any sense.

On the contrary, it makes sense. Even MJ was not confident about “Invincible”. If he was, he wouldn’t have hired 27 different songwriters and 7 different producers for that album.

Back