I've been a dedicated MJ fan for 40+ years...ask me anything!

Spidey

Proud Member
For those of you wanting to know what it has been like following Michael Jackson since his Thriller days, ask away.
Like many, I've been there for the ups and downs, peaks and valleys. And I've had the unique American perspective of seeing his rise and fall (and rise and fall again) in popular culture.

I've been following Michael Jackson daily (first through newspapers, magazines, and books, and then through the internet), been there for same-day album drops since Thriller, and seen him perform live twice (Victory Tour and 2001 MSG).

I've been there for the extremely negative press fallouts from the accusations, baby dangling, Martin Bashir, and the incredibly momentous occasions like music video releases, Super Bowl performance, album releases, etc. And also for the in-between constant media activity like the ever persistent tabloid headlines.

I have even been around him physically twice. Once, he actually knocked me down to the ground by accident, which is an amazing story in and of itself. The other time was outside a recording studio in Virginia Beach in the late 90s.

For those of you wondering what it has been like to be a fan for so longer, ask away...happy to answer any questions and give honest opinions.

what was it like to watch the ‘victory’ tour live, as opposed to on a screen decades later?

How do you cope with fake Michael Jackson songs? Like ... you know.

what was it like to watch the ‘victory’ tour live, as opposed to on a screen decades later?
I was a child, so it was especially magical. I saw him in Kansas City. I was only about 6 years old, so my memory has "burned in" images of Michael Jackson. My parents took me because they knew how much I loved Thriller. I would stare at that album the entire time we played it. The Victory concert was my first time experiencing Michael Jackson as something other than human. The recordings can't/don't capture the aura and magic that came from him and the crowd around me. The whole thing gave off an energy that kept me a fan for life. From that moment on, I was captive by anything related to Michael. The theme for me for that show was "light." Michael seemed to glow and stand out so much from his brothers. Even though it was a packed arena and I was far away, it felt as if I was the only one there because I was held so captive by the performance. And so much of it came full circle when I saw some of the same songs/dances in 2001.
I do remember there was one part where I was legit terrified. It looked/sounded like a monster took Michael Jackson into darkness. I don't remember if it was Thriller or what. But my parents actually took me out of the stadium for a little while to calm me down. But I insisted on going back to make sure he was okay. And when I got back, he was singing Beat It with the jacket, so I was extremely happy again. For some reason, Beat It stands out to me more than Billie Jean. I guess because I was so happy that he was okay. LOL.

Spidey . I like your name. I have a few ? for you but answer at your leisure.

What are your thoughts and your feelings towards the biopic in progress?

How did you feel when m released Dangerous? Did you see a huge change/shift art/ thought wise?

Thoughts on when he let OW in his home?

What are your fave moments?

Any MJ posters that you recall being a fave? books etc.

Thoughts on when m released Dancing The Dream ?

Best song from Bad?

Thanks in advance. x

Wait - You experienced being at Superbowl 93? Let me go and have a coffee. Will be back.:love:

Last edited:
How envy I am lol, I've always wanted to see what it was like to experience the times when MJ was at the height of his fame and to watch him perform live. Closest I got to experience both of those was when he died and became popular again, and when I watched the This Is It movie in the theater with my parents when I was a child.

Anyway, as for the questions:

1- When would you say MJ was at his most famous? Was it during the Thriller days, the Bad days or around the Super Bowl performance?
2- Was the fame that MJ had back when he had just died comparable to the fame he had in the early 90's, or even the 80's?
3- Back when the Bad album came out did people think it was a worthy successor to Thriller or did people think it was a downgrade?
4- Are you able to talk more about the times you met Michael? Do you remember how the conversations went and if there are photos from those days?

How do you cope with fake Michael Jackson songs? Like ... you know.
Wow. When Breaking News first came out, I listened to it and IMMEDIATELY knew it was fake. Even my wife knew b/c she listens to Michael Jackson so much vicariously through me. LOL. I was so confused/upset because I so desperately wanted to hear new Michael Jackson songs. But that was such a letdown. Part of me wanted to believe they were real. Just because I wanted to hear new music. But it was so obvious that wasn't Michael. It confused me that Teddy Riley insisted it was him. I would have thought that anyone who worked with Michael for any period of time tell better than me that it wasn't. And the songs, on top of it not being Michael, were just bad. Michael wouldn't have even recorded those to begin with. Breaking News, Monster, Keep Your Head Up....obviously tried to hard to be derivatives of stuff Michael liked to do (songs against the press, horror motifs, anthems), but were just C level quality. And that imitation voice was horrific. The falsetto, the vibrato, even the pronunciations....so far off. It was the first time that it TRULY realized that Sony was much worse than I ever imagined. I knew Michael had issues with them, but never fully appreciated the extend to which they were using him for money until they insisted on these fake songs being real. It ruined the entire album for me. What was supposed to be a way for me to heal from the shocking news of Michael's death, became even more hurtful and even more of a setback. So now, they don't exist. I try to erase them from my memory. I can't even listen to the Michael album at all b/c it taints all of it for me. Which is a shame because I do really love a couple songs...like Hollywood Tonight. I got to hear that "live," as part of that studio visit I allude to in my opening post.

are we on insta-stories now?

are we on insta-stories now?
I don't feel this is a rude comment, but I should note that I will ignore any rude comments/questions. I'm doing this to help newer fans or share stories with fans who have been around as long/longer than myself to find common ground and shared truths. So I will just ignore any comments that aren't helpful. Again, not that your comment is...but I forgot to mention that in my opening.

Spidey . I like your name. I have a few ? for you but answer at your leisure.

What are your thoughts and your feelings towards the biopic in progress?

I am cautiously optimistic. It's going to be VERY hard for me. I can't/won't see tribute act shows. Having seen MJ perform in person, it's nowhere close to the same experience and it feels almost like a caricature to me. I have seen both Cirque Du Soleil shows and the MJ Broadway show. Both are good, but there is just that "suspension of disbelief" that is hard to do when looking at someone other than Michael. I HATE when people try to imitate his voice (unless it's Chris Tucker LOL), and especially his looks (he was uniquely unique in his appearance, and any attempts to look like him feel insulting to me). I do like that it is his nephew playing him. That was smart. I am fearful of the approach. I agree 100% that Michael was innocent, but I fear that if the movie tries TOO hard to push this, it will backfire. I like how the musical basically separates the two things. I don't think you can solve this conflict for most people. So to me, you have to let it go. So we will see. I'm nervous. I haven't read the script, but I'm guess it will be similar to the musical in that it will "end" around the Dangerous era. Perhaps right around when the settlement occurs and MJ "moves on." But the problem is that we know he isn't able to move on. Sigh.
How did you feel when m released Dangerous? Did you see a huge change/shift art/ thought wise?
Gosh, I loved Dangerous. In fact, I loved every release and got them day one after Thriller: Bad, Dangerous, History, BOTDF, Invincible. I really loved the shift in the music. I think it fit the current "feel" of pop music for the time, and unlike much of the music from that era, still holds up really well today. That was another album you could play start to finish without getting tired of the songs or wanting to skip the songs. It was made during a time when albums were still meant to be played/experienced on the whole in terms of pacing/style/tone. Perhaps it was the last of MJ's albums to do this. You could make the case for History, I guess, but Dangerous felt like his last true "record" in that sense for me. I was a teenager at that point, so I loved some of the hard hitting songs. But his voice was so magical/pure in songs like Heal the World. So I just loved the whole thing and thought the shift was great. I had experienced the shift with Bad, too, so I was kind of used to a shift in music, his appearance, his style....I liked that about it. It was not like today where you could follow artists every day. He would drop something and be all over the place for months, and then literally DISAPPEAR. It was a drought. And then when he came back, he was like this new person...with new magic, new energy...something to discover all over again.
Thoughts on when he let OW in his home?
Oh man. I was at the edge of my seat for that special. I watched it live in front of the TV with my parents. I wanted him to show THEM why I admired him so much. So when he beat-boxed, moon walked, and explained things like his abusive dad, or vitiligo, I felt like it vindicated him from people who felt he was "weird" or whatever. It made him human in the sense that people (who needed to do this) could finally connect dots. I thought the special was perfect. I wanted more! It was so hard when they cut to a commercial break...I didn't want any of it to end. I remember wanting to see more of Neverland itself. And I remember wishing his hair was different. LOL. But this was all happening when the worst headlines about him were that he was "weird," "lightened his skin," etc. So for me, it brought him back to the top in the eyes of people who had something again him. I was so proud to be a fan after that night. And I thought Oprah did a good job, except when she talked about his virginity. He handled that well, but that felt so uncomfortable. Now, I can't stand her. She did him wrong. Just like nearly everyone he trusted and "let in." People that weren't his true friends would work their way in, get what they wanted, and then not even have the courage/respect to hold him up. Oprah is one of those in my eyes.
What are your fave moments?
The entire Bad release. The album, the music videos, the music, the tour. I LOVED the Dangerous tour special on HBO. I LOVED the superbowl performance. I was so excited for the other HBO special. I was devastated when that canceled b/c of his health. I really loved the History album release, actually. Those music videos were amazing and I saw it still turned people into fans, especially in my age group. I saw people I never would have guessed listening to You are Not Alone, Earth Song, and Scream. People were still proud to be MJ fans. After history, it was no longer "cool". I'm sure there are many other moments, but that is what immediately comes to mind.
Any MJ posters that you recall being a fave? books etc.
My favorite poster of ALL Time is "The Magic Continues" from the Bad Tour. I still have that poster. It's incredible. My favorite book was "Moonwalker" and the Vogel book. By far, the best. I avoided the tabloid/sensationalist stuff from people like Taraborelli, Halperin, etc.. I also read "Redemption" which is awesome. I wish that book had better press and sold more. That was truly vindicating.
Thoughts on when m released Dancing The Dream ?
I could never afford Dancing The Dream when it came out. And it was hard to come by in book stores. This was before Amazon of course. I remember finally finding a couple at my library and reading it. I enjoyed a lot of the poems and felt that it showed Michael Jackson as a true artist. It revealed a lot about his passion for writing, performing, and how he uses that to try to do more in the world. To truly make the world a better place. I also really enjoyed the pictures.
Best song from Bad?
Boy. That's hard. If I had to take just ONE song from that album, I'd have to go with "Man in the Mirror." Because of his voice, the meaning, and also just because of his performances of it. Like the Grammy performance in 88. WOW. That's one of his best performances EVER.
Thanks in advance. x

Wait - You experienced being at Superbowl 93? Let me go and have a coffee. Will be back.:love:
LOL. Yeah, that was super cool. I happened to be at a large party for that Super Bowl with tons of kids my age and adults. EVERYONE was glued to the TV. It captivated everyone. At the time, I couldn't understand HOW he kept popping up on the scoreboards and then on the stage. I'm shocked no one has tried to repeat that. I honestly thought that Usher would choose that as his tribute part to MJ this year. That performance was so cool. And how freaking BALLSY of him turn that show into an appeal for humanitarian aide.

How envy I am lol, I've always wanted to see what it was like to experience the times when MJ was at the height of his fame and to watch him perform live. Closest I got to experience both of those was when he died and became popular again, and when I watched the This Is It movie in the theater with my parents when I was a child.

Anyway, as for the questions:

1- When would you say MJ was at his most famous? Was it during the Thriller days, the Bad days or around the Super Bowl performance?

Gee. In my experience, I personally think his most popular was around Bad. Thriller was HUGE, for sure. But it seemed isolated to that album, mostly. It was like a snapshot in time when Michael was HUGE and THRILLER was huge, but it felt somewhat all centered around the music of Thriller and style of thriller. But when Bad came out...it was suddenly about HIM. Michael became larger than life. The world became focused on him and he was suddenly more than a living legend. He was from another planet and was only getting bigger. This was when there was just a TASTE of trying to take him down with silly tabloid stories or questions, but it all felt like jealously, nothing more.
2- Was the fame that MJ had back when he had just died comparable to the fame he had in the early 90's, or even the 80's?
The fame when he had just died wasn't the same. Sure, there was a global response and it broke the internet. But it was emotional more than exciting or magical. It was sad. So it's hard to compare the two. It was unique in that there was a collective recognition of him, but you also felt truly isolated b/c of the amount of grief you were experiencing. The fame in the 80s was like a rocket ship taking off. The fame when he had just died was like when a rocket ship exploding. People were glued to together for different reasons. And the fame in the 80s lasted a lot longer than the fame when he had just died. Like, the fame in the 80s was like a huge bonfire that just kept burning and getting bigger. The fame when he just died was like an explosion that went away pretty fast after a huge combustion.
3- Back when the Bad album came out did people think it was a worthy successor to Thriller or did people think it was a downgrade?
In my experience, Bad did not feel like a downgrade. I had a small record store in my hometown that couldn't keep the album in stock. He gave me a Michael Jackson poster that many others said they wanted, but I was the first to ask. To me, no one was saying the album was better or worse than Thriller. It was just a huge album. I do remember for the first time that people were talking about his appearance. His skin color and nose (a bit). Unlike, Thriller, the stuff around Bad was as much about him as a person/artist as about the music. Bad was really about the whole package. And it was HUGE.
4- Are you able to talk more about the times you met Michael? Do you remember how the conversations went and if there are photos from those days?
Yes, let me make a dedicated post to that.

What was it like to experience Michael's game and success in it's zenith? It must have been such a buzz.

When did he seem happiest to you?

do you remember much about the ‘victory’ album, or the songs released from it?

What was it like to experience Michael's game and success in it's zenith? It must have been such a buzz.

When did he seem happiest to you?
The zenith was incredible. Everyone was wearing MJ shirts, sunglasses, jackets. Posters of him were everywhere. You could hear/see people playing Michael Jackson all the time. Everyone was talking about him. He was on a magazine in the grocery store every time you went in there. To me, the zenith was Bad, not Thriller. Again...Thriller was all about that particular album and MJ surrounding that album. Bad was about the entire package...the music, the persona, the performances, etc.

That being said, to me, MJ seemed most happiest to me during the Dangerous era (before the allegations, of course). I think the behind the scenes shots of him on the Black and White video really summed up how he was then...more relaxed, having fun, not as stressed about topping Thriller (like he was for Bad). He seemed to finally have a bit of control of the media narrative and was okay with where he was in terms of his own achievements. He seemed to have found part of a way to overcome his loneliness by really formulating friendships with Taylor, Shields, and of course some of his closest child friends like Culkin, Barnes, and unfortunately the boy who ultimately was at the center of the allegations. At this point, he finally had Neverland where he wanted it, had little financial troubles, didn't appear yet in need of strong medications, and apart from his Vitiligo seemed to be satisfied in his appearance (based on few changes during this time), and was having fun with his work (videos like Jam, Black or White, Remember the Time, etc.). Things were going quite well, all around (comparatively) and as a whole, the public was still really accepting of him. He seemed to be always smiling and laughing off stage, but really nailing it when the spotlights were on.

do you remember much about the ‘victory’ album, or the songs released from it?
My parents didn't buy me the Victory album when it was released. I was too much into Thriller, and despite the tour, I wasn't interested in anything to do with the Jackson 5. I liked the "adult" Michael as a kid. Once I got older, I came to appreciate the J5 and some his earlier work (pre-Off the Wall.). My parents bought Thriller for themselves, but they saw how much I loved it and loved Michael Jackson and decided to support that. So they they bought me Off the Wall a couple years later and then Bad when it was released. My mom even got me the Bad album single that had the super long "false fade" version. She bought that because the "Bad" album itself sold out in my hometown on the same day. So she bought that until they could get more copies in a few days later. That was torture for me. I loved the cover to that single more than the Bad album cover itself and played that nonstop until I had the actual album. The cover of MJ standing with a bunch of the dancers in the subway...kind of like how he was standing with all the Zombies in that famous shot from Thriller. I bought the rest of his solo albums myself on day and date of release. I did buy the Victory album later on when I was collecting all the J5/Jacksons stuff. For me, it is/was "meh." No way near enough Michael and I wasn't fond of the few MJ songs on there. I felt like "State of Shock" and "Be Not Always" felt unfinished...like they could be fleshed out more like the songs on Thriller. So I listened, but I have always enjoyed MJ's solo stuff the most.

The zenith was incredible. Everyone was wearing MJ shirts, sunglasses, jackets. Posters of him were everywhere. You could hear/see people playing Michael Jackson all the time. Everyone was talking about him. He was on a magazine in the grocery store every time you went in there. To me, the zenith was Bad, not Thriller. Again...Thriller was all about that particular album and MJ surrounding that album. Bad was about the entire package...the music, the persona, the performances, etc.

That being said, to me, MJ seemed most happiest to me during the Dangerous era (before the allegations, of course). I think the behind the scenes shots of him on the Black and White video really summed up how he was then...more relaxed, having fun, not as stressed about topping Thriller (like he was for Bad). He seemed to finally have a bit of control of the media narrative and was okay with where he was in terms of his own achievements. He seemed to have found part of a way to overcome his loneliness by really formulating friendships with Taylor, Shields, and of course some of his closest child friends like Culkin, Barnes, and unfortunately the boy who ultimately was at the center of the allegations. At this point, he finally had Neverland where he wanted it, had little financial troubles, didn't appear yet in need of strong medications, and apart from his Vitiligo seemed to be satisfied in his appearance (based on few changes during this time), and was having fun with his work (videos like Jam, Black or White, Remember the Time, etc.). Things were going quite well, all around (comparatively) and as a whole, the public was still really accepting of him. He seemed to be always smiling and laughing off stage, but really nailing it when the spotlights were on.
I love this so much. Thank you.
I was too young to remember or be fully aware of the time and lived in Europe. I love this and will keep this in my heart. ❤️

I really enjoy reading your Q&A and i am thrilled you are talking about your memories @Spidey especially the Victory tour bit. I was not there for that bit. [Or the BAD bit] so everything is appreciated.
Here is a question... though, you don't have to answer if you deem it too personal of course. i say it, [with the love!]

Do you think that supporting m for over 4 decades shaped your mind,thoughts, values & core beliefs /how you are as a person? Did you see him as a teacher of sorts'/? ...If so , what did he teach you that perhaps other artists at that time couldn't?
You have kept him in your heart for so very long and i think that is charming & i couldn't resist asking this .. and I dearly LOVE that you were around his energy / met him. I love it.

Do you regret not attending the Bad Tour?
Yes. That would have been THE tour for me to attend. That is my personal favorite tour of his. The closest Bad concert to me was 7 hours away and I was still a kid. So I blame my parents. LOL

Thoughts on MJ during TII preparations ?
Any specific memories ?
Would you like to see more footage?
Many thanks 🙏
Oh man. I have literally followed Michael Jackson daily for at least 35 years. For TII, I was following him HOURLY. I was lucky because I had a friend in LA at the time (I am on the East Coast) who was in the Hollywood industry, so he had some inside information he would pass along to me. For example, he knew when he was rehearsing in the Staples Center before it hit the media and also knew about Lou Ferrigno helping to train MJ. TMZ and the like were ALL over him every day. You would often see videos of him leaving Klein's office or out shopping. Once, he was in a wheelchair in PJ's wearing a dreadlocks wig and the press jumped all over that. He would occasionally speak to the camera or the fans waiting for him. But I felt like something was wrong. The rumors were that he was sick...and I couldn't help but wonder that when I saw how slowly he sometimes moved or spoke. I was really worried about him. But then, I watched the TII announcement....MJ was soooooo late....(now we know why). Since I had seem him in NYC in 2001 at the opening 30th Anniversary concert, I knew to be patient with Michael for momentous events. But the TII announcement was really cool, despite the tardiness. I knew at that moment that it was going to happen. I had my tickets (for my birthday) and was so excited. It felt like MJ could finally redeem himself. Up until that announcement, there were so many horrible rumors about him in the American press (even that he can cancer or had only a few months to live). And of course, he had been through the trial that nearly killed him just a few years before. But here, at this announcement, he looked excited, looked like he was healthy, and looked like he still had that magic. I remember participating in the fan "song vote" and that was fun. One of the coolest things (as a fan) was the auction of all the stuff in Neverland. A digital catalogue came out and it was so cool to see all the things that were part of Michael life (even though I felt guilty for looking at those things knowing the sale wasn't happening for the best reasons). That wasn't really related to TII, but it was all part of that build up and excitement. When I saw TII in theaters, I cried all over again as if he had just died. It was so sad to see what could have been. And the reasons he was doing this concert. It made the cancelation that much harder to bear. I don't think I want to see any more footage knowing all the horrible things he was going through at the time. All the health stuff, the anxieties, the abuses, the stresses. I just can't enjoy that footage. And I know how much of what we ultimately have seen was manipulated. So I don't want to revisit that.

I was lucky because I had a friend in LA at the time (I am on the East Coast) who was in the Hollywood industry, so he had some inside information he would pass along to me.
Do you have any other inside information about the time we might not know?

I share your feelings about TII and seeing more footage. I saw the film in cinema and cried all the way through.

Yes. That would have been THE tour for me to attend. That is my personal favorite tour of his. The closest Bad concert to me was 7 hours away and I was still a kid. So I blame my parents. LOL
I hear you! I was begging my parents to go for months, luckily after he announced a second date in my city my parents finally gave in. The Bad concert was for sure one of the greatest experiences in my entire life.

@Spidey was it the opening night of the kansas city ‘victory’ concert that you saw?

how did you react to the kreton creatures vs the spider that ate michael?

were there any songs that you were looking forward to hearing, but weren’t performed?

i came across this thread on google and made an account especially to ask you questions, ive always wanted to ask someone who was alive at the time what it was like!!

i was born in 2003, so i missed basically every major michael jackson moment unfortunately. i hope you don't mind how many questions i ask!

on the day he released his albums, what was it like at record stores? were there long lines of people waiting to buy it?

how would you watch his music videos whenever you wanted to back then? did you have to just wait until it came on tv or could you buy them like a dvd?

what was the energy like when he first came onstage during his concerts?

was there any particular michael music video that stood out to you more than any other at the time?

were there any fanclubs for him in person? if so, did you attend and what were they like?

when a new michael jackson video came out, was it like an event where everybody you knew was talking about it?

what did you think of invincible when it was released, and what was the energy surrounding the whole release like?

thank you if you answer any of these!

I’ve been a fan since Bad came out (but have some Thriller era memories too, just wasn’t a fan yet back then because I was too young) , so been a fan fir almost 37 years by now. 😍 Fun thread!!!👍🏻 I’ll answer on my part but that will take a while because it’s so much to type!! 😆😂😂😂 Feel free to add questions if you like and I’ll try to answer!! I’ll be back!!! 😉😂😂

Back