I've been a dedicated MJ fan for 40+ years...ask me anything!

oh, this made me scream with laughter! I'm in the UK, we only had 3 tv channels, lol. I mean, please ...six channels!!! :ROFLMAO:
We technically had 3 which were the major network affiliates, and a VHF educational channel which was the same programming as a UHF educational channel and by the early 70s we had 2 local UHF stations that shot independent stuff.

What did fans back then imagine would come next after Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, etc?
After Thriller, I felt that it would be easily possible for MJ to outsell Thriller if he could start at ground zero like he did with Thriller. Singing about zombies was very random and I felt that was one of the novelties of it and using it as a 'formula' the next album could work the same way. Nobody asked me though :( lol and Bad was nice... so ... yeh

We technically had 3 which were the major network affiliates, and a VHF educational channel which was the same programming as a UHF educational channel and by the early 70s we had 2 local UHF stations that shot independent stuff.
Oh, that puts a different spin on it, lol. Bottom line, we both know what it felt like to be in that analogue era! :D

• Haha
Reactions: SoS
Me too especially pre-internet! Even though I must admit it was never my scene, I remember the fans camping outside the concerts etc. and having conversations with them and they were crying and stuff because there was some negative press about how MJ looked...to be honest, I found it a bit unhealthy (even as a teenager). I also met some "follower fans" there, who's whole lives revolved around following MJ around. They were all very nice, but I found it sad really.
I know what you mean by, 'sad'. I don't mean to offend any 'follower' fans at all, its just, to watch fans chasing the limo, or waiting for his curtain to move ... I guess I can see it as a young teenager, afterall, we did go chasing across the parking lot! And I definitely did walk through a tightly packed crowd. So there's the, "would do anything for MJ'' factor ;) which plays out different ways for us all. Michaels "babies" ... can't really help ourselves. :)

HIStory era:
(Only a part of it. I’ll put the HIStory tour concerts in Part 2)

Once again there was a huge buzz going on before album release! ”Michael Jackson is going to release an album!” AAAAHHHH!!!!! The wait between Bad and Dangerous had felt like FOREVER so the possibility of getting a new album ”ALREADY”…I was EXCITED!!!!! I think it was about a week before the album was officially released (at least if my memory isn’t COMPLETELY failing me..but it could’ve been just a couple of days too🤔) you were able to listen to the whole album in the record store. They had this table with sort of bar stools in front of it with headphones attached to the table to be able to listen. I couldn’t resist the temptation to listen but it was also torture at the same time because I was in the middle of a record store listening, so I had to try to keep my ”cool” and my reactions to a minimum. 😂😂But I can still remember hearing the album for the first time there and being BLOWN AWAY by it and I remember that Earth Song especially immediately got me! ❤️ I couldn’t WAIT until I was able to get the CD in my hands and was able to listen to it from start to finish at home IN PEACE and get to study the booklet! 😍❤️ When I FINALLY was able to go buy it…the way home from the record store felt like FOREVER!!! It was TORTURE!!! But in a good way!!!! 😍 I kept playing the CD non-stop after that!! LOVED it!! 😍❤️

Then later that year I heard that Michael was going to be performing on this TV show called ”Wetten, dass..?” in Germany. I was able to win a trip from Sony to go see him. 😍 So I called my friend and off we went!! We travelled with the Sony people, so…when we arrived at the airport, there was a driver with a sign saying ”Sony”, ready to take us all to our hotel. 😳😂😂 Turns out that Michael’s people had been using the same black cars with tinted windows, so when we arrived at the hotel (we stayed at the same hotel as Michael 😍)…fans came running towards the cars…and I was just thinking ”Nothing to see here!! We’re just fans too!!”😂😂 When we got out they realized we were ”no one important” so as quickly as they had run towards us…they quickly ran back to where they came from. 😂😂 So we get out, the driver takes our suitcases out…and this guy comes and takes our suitcases and I panic and I’m like ”Hey…..!!!!! He took our bags!!!!!!!! Hey..!!!!!! HE TOOK OUR BAGS!!!” thinking he’s stealing them!! 🙄😂😂😂😂 And the Sony people laughed and were like…he’s just taking them into the hotel for you. And I was like ”Oh..!!!” 😳😂😂😂😂😂😂 (Me and my friend were both pretty young and had never stayed at a five star hotel before so we had NO clue how it all works. 😂😂😂) So we get inside and the guy who had taken our bags comes to me asking me what room I’m in and once again I’m panicking and like ”I DON’T KNOW!!!” 😩😩😩 and the Sony people once again have to help. 😂😂 So we get into our room..and…yeah…you can imagine our reaction!! Wow!! 🙀🙀🙀🙀😂😂😂😂😂 There’s a knock on the door and the suitcases arrived..the guy takes this thing out of the closet and puts them on that thing and me and my friend try not to laugh. We just thought all that was SO funny because we didn’t think it was necessary. 😂😂 But by that time we had figured out that he’ll bring our suitcases up and we probably need to give a tip too…so we give him a tip, he leaves…and we CRACK UP!!! 😂😂😂😂 We check out the room and once we go into the bathroom….we LITERALLY almost PEE IN OUR PANTS from laughing so hard when we see there’s a TELEPHONE next to the TOILET!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Like…WHY?!!!! 😳😂😂😂😂 Like…do people ACTUALLY use it? And WHAT FOR?!! 😳😂😂😂 To call to get someone bring them more toilet paper? Or to come wipe their butt? 😂😂😂😂😂😂 At that point we were just literally rolling on the floor laughing!! We just got a kick out of it all and thought it was just TOOOOO FUNNY!!!! 😂😂😂 So we started joking around and started taking photos of each other sitting on the toilet pretending to be talking on the phone and coming up with reasons why we would need to call someone from the TOILET…and just DIED laughing. 😂😂😂 And we’d take photos of each other in the empty bath tub with clothes on and with (empty) champagne glasses in our hands. 😂😂😂😂 We just got a kick out of it all! We thought it was just HILARIOUS!! 😂😂😂😂 And we’d RUN across the room and THROW ourselves onto the bed…while the other one took photos…trying to catch the other while they were in the air to look like we’re flying or levitating. 😂😂😂😂 We were just having a BALL!!!! 😂😂😂😂So we finally checked the view from the window and saw that there were TONS of fans directly below us. We knew Michael was staying in the same hotel but I didn’t understand the concept of actually waiting outside to possibly get to SEE him yet. 🙄😩Like, I didn’t know or understand that you actually could see him that way. So instead of standing outside…we went to see Cologne and saw the beautiful cathedral and walked around a bit. 🙄😂

Then it was time to get ready to go to the show. Since we were Sony’s guests, a driver was going to take us. The show was outside of Cologne, in a city called Duisburg. So we got to the venue, and the Sony people tell us that we’ll get front row seats. So we head that way…and this guy there tells us that all the seats in front of the stage are reserved for fans because Michael wants the fans there. We try to explain that we ARE fans and we’re with Sony but they don’t let us take any of the seats, let alone front row seats. 🥲 Yeah….imagine my disappointment. 😩😩😩 I’m supposed to be in the front row….but I can’t get there. 😩😩😩 Even the Sony people try to tell them that we’re with Sony…no chance. ”It’s only for fans.” 😩😩 So my friend and I feel completely lost and try to find seats SOMEWHERE. ANY seats. But pretty much all the good seats anywhere in the front even behind the fans are taken. 😩 So we decide to go up towards the back. We figured we’d be able to see Michael better from there since we’re higher. So we get settled and I take my banner out. I had made a banner at home that says ”KING OF MUSIC”. The media had been making fun of Michael calling him ”self-proclaimed King of Pop” and it made me SO ANGRY…So I thought ”Self-proclaimed?!!!! Self-proclaimed my a**!!! I proclaim him the KING OF MUSiC in that case!!! So you can all EAT IT!!!” 😡 I knew the show will be televized so I thought ”HA!!! I’ll show you, you stupid idiots in the media!!!! Eat THAT!!!” 😈😬

A bunch of people performed before Michael…including Cirque du Soleil. They were awesome! After their performance, they came into the audience and were standing almost directly behind me on this platform because apparently they all wanted to see MICHAEL too!!! 👍🏻😃 So finally it was Michael’s turn….The host wasn’t even able to really announce him when everyone already was SCREAMING!!! 😬 So ”Dangerous” starts and the audience goes NUTS!!!!!! They had also set up a huge video screen outside for fans who weren’t able to get a ticket and there were THOUSANDS of fans!!! I was told they had never done anything like it for anyone else before!! I was watching Michael and singing along and held my banner up the whole time and my pink Disney heart with baby Minnie and Mickey on it. Once the song ended, I kept jumping up and down like an excited kid and kept cheering!!!! Michael then left the stage…and the host was trying to calm the audience down but everyone kept screaming for Michael!!! 👍🏻😂😂😂 After several minutes, the audience finally calmed down and the show continued. And then…it was Michael’s turn again..it was his world premiere for Earth Song and once again the audience goes NUTS!!! So I sing along at the top of my lungs and sway to the beat with my banner and pink heart..and then Michael gets on the cherry picker…and he gets closer to me!!!! AAAAHHH!!! 😍😍😍😍😍 Then the song ends and when Michael says ”I love you all” I scream ”WE LOVE YOUUUUUUU!!!!” at the top of my lungs!! 😍

So the show is over…our driver takes us back to the hotel…and the Sony people tell us that there is an after show party in the hotel and all of Micharl’s people are going to be there and we are invited as well. 🙀😍 So we go to our room to bring our stuff there and then go where the party is. There’s security at the door but the Sony people tell them that we’re with them so they let us in. There are these high, round tables with white table clothes, without chairs, a buffet with all kinds of food (but I was WAY too nervous to eat anything so I literally just took two leafs of salad 😂 ). And you pretty much could get any kind of beverage you wanted…so I took a glass of orange juice.

At the back of the room was a big screen and there was a couch in front of it. As we got in, the Sony people started mingling and me and my friend stayed by ourselves. ALL of Michael’s people were there: Michael Bush, Karen Faye, Charles Bobbit, Benny Collins, all of the dancers….and I was just SOOO nervous because I’m so shy!!!! 🙀 I kept saueezing my elbow so hard from being so nervous that i had a bruise on it the next day! 🙀😂😂 They started playing Michael’s performance from the show from earlier on the video screen and all the dancers were on the couch or standing around it and watch themselves perform and it looked like they were having a lot of fun. I kept watching from further away and tried to see and Benny Collins happened to be standing next to me so he was like ”Michael was great, wasn’t he?!” and I was like ”Yeah!” and he told me to go closer to the screen so I can see better and he probably realized I’m really shy because he said again ”Go ahead! It’s okay! You can see better if you’re closer!”I thought that was so nice of him! So me and my friend went closer to where the screen and all MJ’s dancers were and I had to try NOT to watch it like I’d watch it at home like ”OMG Michael!!” and stare at the screen like: 😍😍😍. Anyways, so then we were told that Michael is going to go to an amusement park the next day and he has invited fans to go with him. We knew we were leaving the next day so we were like ”Oh no!!! I hope we can make it!!!” 🙏🏻

So the next day we get driven to the amusement park and only his fans are let in, no one from the press is allowed in. They tell us that we are allowed to take pictures with our own cameras if they are normal cameras and not the press type with big lenses. So then Michael comes to greet us all and then leads us through the park to different rides and we’re allowed to go on all the rides for free! 😍 At one point we all start singing ”You Are Not Alone” for him and he listens and smiles. It’s getting later and later and our flight back home gets closer and closer….so me and my friend have to leave! 😩😩😩😩😩 I KNOW!!!! NOT FAIR!!! 😩😩😩 We RUN back to the entrance and get driven back to our hotel and the Sony people are like ”How was it?” And we talk a bit and they also ask us if everything was okay with our room and if we liked the minibar with all the candy. And my friend and I look at each other and go ”Oh…we didn’t know if we were allowed to take anything so we didn’t eat any of the candy.” 😳😂😂😂 So then we left and while we were at the airport…my friend and I kept going over the whole weekend and were both like ”NO ONE IS GOING TO BELIEVE US if we tell them we were at an AMUSEMENT PARK WITH MICHAEL JACKSON!!!” 🙀😂😂😂 Like imagine calling friends and family like ”I just saw Michael Jackson perform, were at a party with all of his people, stayed in the same hotel as him and then went to an amusement park with him. And how was your weekend..?” 😆😂😂😂😂 Like….NO ONE is EVER going to believe us!!!!!! 😂😂😂😂

About a month later I heard in the news that Michael had collapsed during rehearsals in NYC and was taken to the hospital! I was SO SCARED and SO WORRIED about him!!!! 🥲🥲🥲🥲 I PRAYED he’s okay and I’ve never felt more relieved than when they finally showed a picture of him leaving the hospital and told us he’s okay!! 🙏🏻❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Just WOW summer! And you were so sweet!!!! Its the pure love in it!! And so blessed to have won that Sony experience! And the amusement park is the BEST!!! Utterly amazing! Some parts are hilarious like when you were trying not to watch the screen like you would at home!! ROTFL!!!!

The first YANA girl was in Prague in September 1996. It was the first show of the HIStory tour. I know that because I was there and saw it live.
I always wondered if the first show had a different energy. Did you attend any other concert? If so: was it any different? Different feel or act, any mistakes maybe? I went to the HIStory concert in Berlin, but it was not until one year later.

Last edited:
Well, in the Prince camp it came up quite a lot. Bootlegs were a constant
Now that you mentioned bootlegs…I was aware of rhe concept of bootlegs..as in what it meant. But I honestly can’t remember any songs…🤔 Doesn’t necessarily mean they didn’t exist but since we didn’t have internet yet back then and I didn’t get to know other fans until 1996 really…there really wasn’t a way of me finding them either. 🤔 I did know of the existance of bootleg videos. My Bad Tour Yokohama concert video was one. I can’t remember where I got it from or how, all I know is that it wasn’t any official video because I had it on a notmal VHS cassette. 🤔 Very possible that my sister had gotten it for me from somewhere. And I had the Making of Stranger In Moscow video from a fan. THAT footage was like THE video everyone was talking about for MONTHS!!! It was like the best kept open secret in the fan community! 😍😂😂😂 Michael getting absolutely SOAKED…but looking FIIIINE at the same time….but also looking completely miserable (understandably!!)!! 😍😂😂😂 So of course that was a bootleg but I think every fan had it. 😬 Someone asked earlier how we got to see videos etc…fans pretty much sent VHS tapes to each other with snail mail. And Jetzi’s website was LEGENDERY!! It seemed you could get everything from her!! TV shows, footage from Michael’s hotels etc. It felt like she had EVERYTHING!! 😍 So I got a VHS full of gootage from her too.

What did fans back then imagine would come next after Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, etc?
I don’t think anyone could even imagine in what direction Michael would go next!! We all just knew it’s gonna be sonething we haven’t seen before and really innovative and BIG!! 😍
Me too especially pre-internet! Even though I must admit it was never my scene, I remember the fans camping outside the concerts etc. and having conversations with them and they were crying and stuff because there was some negative press about how MJ looked...to be honest, I found it a bit unhealthy (even as a teenager). I also met some "follower fans" there, who's whole lives revolved around following MJ around. They were all very nice, but I found it sad really.
I can understand that since I’m a pretty calm and quiet person myself, so I never cried or screamed when I saw Michael. And with scream I mean the ”AAAAAHH!!!!! Miiiiichaaaeeeelllll!!! I love youuuu Miiicchhaaeeelll!!” I did participate in the chants and singing at his hotel to get Michael come to the window or to send him a message because they were fun! (Once you went home, your voice was gone from all the changing and singing! 😂😂) Like, we’d chant ”Open the window!!!” or ”Show your face!!” and then he’d do that. Or we would chant ”How is Prince???” after he had beenn sick and at the hospital in 1999 and he’d come to the window and show us Prince to show us he’s okay! ❤️ And we’d do the ”F**k the oress!! Michael is the best!” chant and he’d come to the sindow with a ”Burn all tabloids” sign he had made himself out of a hotel tosel or pillow case. Or we’d chant ”We love you!!” and he’d come to the sindow with snother self-made sign saying how much he loves US and then he’d throw them down to us so that some lucky fan could get it. That’s what I meant earlier with us having waysto communicate with Michael without being in the same room. We made signs or chanted together what we wanted so he could hear it..And he made his own signs out of pillowcases or towels or bedsheets. Sometimes he threw the whole pillow too with a message on it. And he sent his bodyguards down to collect out letters and presents for him. I was able to give him my present twice 😍

Anyways, so yes…I wasn’t the crying, screaming type either and didn’t reeeeally get it either..but at the same time kind of did get it.🤔 I always thought it was kind of sweet and I felt for those fans because even though I wasn’t showing it so on the OUTSIDE..I was just as touched on the INSIDE, so I could understand them snd how they were feeling. There’s only been one time when I’ve cried when I’ve seen Michael (and fought HARD not to show it) and that was when I saw him the very last time in London. (But it had less to do with getting hysterical becsuse of seeing him or seeing him so close but more to do with me just being SO disappointed in MYSELF at that moment. 🥲 I’ll write about it more later.).

But yeah, I get what you mean…and that’s the part I was struggling with too with myself: Trying to keep the balance. I wanted to see him…BADLY. I wanted to meet him…BADLY. But I also wanted to respect him and not bother him. But I wanted to see him, because I can’t meet him if I’m not where he is. But I felt it was wrong to folllow him everywhere. And yes I was going ”AAAHHHH!!” on the inside whenever I saw him…but I also didn’t want to completely lose my mind. But then I also wanted him to know that I DO appreciate him and love him….but at the same time wanted to be calm because that’s how I am. So it was a constant inner struggle. 😩 Again..not judging anyone who did things differently or acted differently. I am ONLY speaking about myself and my own inner struggles. Like, I’m the type of person that if you’d draw a line on the ground and said ”You can’t cross that line”…I wouldn’t. Even if Michael would’ve been waving on the other side of that line. And even if everyone else crossed that line. If I was told no…it’s a no. Or you know the videos of all these dogs on Instagram where the owner puts something really good to eat right in front of them and tells them to wait…and then leaves the room…and the dog sits patiently waiting for their owner to come bsck and give them permission to eat…I’m like those dogs. 😂😂 So it was always a battle of ”Should I? Should I not? Can I? Are we allowed? No we’re not allowed. Should I go there? Should I stay here? What should I doooooooo???” 😩😂😂😂
I knew about those fanclubs too, but I was never allowed to join them. My parents were not into pop culture and didnt understand why I wanted to connect with other fans. I grew up being told fanclubs are a scam and a waste of money. It was only after History concert when I was earning my own money that I joined MJNI.

He totally dropped out of the fan community in Invincible era. From UK fan friends I found out that he went into politics and completely disassociated from the fan community and Michael. It was before 2003, so I think the fan stuff and Michael was just a teenage and college interest for him and once he left college that he found a new passion in politics. I heard that over the years fans have seen him out and about and does not want to even talk about the MJNI days. Maybe something happened behind the scenes, I dont know, but it was around the time MJNI just went odd too.
Oh! 😳 Well he was at Michael’s hotel in March 2009 though! 😳 Thanks to him I and the other fans knew the inside info because he shared it with us, so he was very nice and I didn’t get the feeling he would not want to be associated with fans. 😳 I always thought he was really nice and helpful. 😳 Considering how many times he saw Michael and used to travel too…maybe Michael’s death was really hard on him too and maybe that’s why he doesn’t want to be reminded of it or talk to fans, because it’s too hard? 🥲 But he definitely was at the hotel in March. Like I said, I know it for sure because I saw him and got the info from him. 😳 That’s why I was wondering if anyone has seen him around since. Was wondering how he’s doing because I was reminded of him when talking about MJNI. 🤔
The rare songs back then were the collabs he did on other albums, like with Diana Ross, Paul McCartney, Siegfield and Roy, or when someone like Blackstreet did the remix cover of Billie Jean.
Oh yeah true!!!!! MIND IS THE MAGIC!!! 😍 Actually…maybe that was the only unreleased song or ”bootleg” that was circling around? 🤔 I had Muscles and Eaten Alive but only because I bougth the Diana Ross albums. 🤔
In the 1990's and early 2000's bootleg shops were big in Ireland. They sold all sorts of bootleg videos and music cassettes as well as second hand vinyl. They lasted until dvds, so I have some videos and some dvds. I didnt have a lot of money so I was very selective on what I bought.
All the videos of MJ footage I hot came from fans from Ireland and the UK so, yes!! This is true!! 😬
Going to the MJNI fan events was a way for me to hear rare music. Thats where I first heard Mind is The Magic, Elizabeth I Love You and others. I would then come back to Dublin and find a way to get those songs. Some songs were on official albums, so I would order them from HMV. Some were ripped from performances like Elizabeth I Love You, so I would hunt in the bootleg shops to see if that performance was on a bootleg dvd.
I had the performances of ”You Were There” (the one he wrote for Sammy Davis Jr. with Buz Kohan) and ”Elizabeth I Love You” on video so I kept watching those over and over again and also turned the volume on the TV as loud as possible and put my cassette recorder in front of the TV and recored it on tape that way. 😂😂 We had to be inventive back in the day!! 😆😂😂
It really wasnt a thing to leak unreleased songs. In the fan community back then, it was an honour code, it was seen as stealing from Michael. Im sure there was plenty buying and selling of stuff, but it was never open and out and known about. Taping things from TV or copying from already released albums was ok.
True!
The first time I became aware of album leaks and unreleased song leaks was during 2000 and early 2001 during the recording and preparation of Invincible. There was a studio tech called Stewart Brawley who joined KOPBoard and was leaking songs. He was sending song files to certain fans on KOPBOARD through private messages, and then these files were shared in the fan community. It was all very secretive and mostly done through MSN messenger, not out in the open, but then people would talk about the leaked songs on the forums.
Stuart Brawley. He was an engineer for the Invincible album. Didn’t know he leaked them. 🤔 But it’s true he was on MJNI. Didn’t know he was on KOP board also. 🤔 I can’t remember any songs leaking…just the whole album being leaked on a website in INDIA. 😳😂😂😂 So everyone pretty much thought it’s fake at first. 😂😂
Everyone knew that Michael was upset about the leaks, but it was mostly contained in the fan community and wasnt known about in the general public, so most people rationalized it and thought it was part of the built up and excitement of the new album.

By the summer of 2001, almost the whole album had been leaked but mostly only poor quality snippets.
I can’t remember any leaked songs so they really must’ve been a well kept secret! I can only remember hearing that the WHOLE album was leaked about a week before it was supposed to be released and it was on some website in INDIA which was bizarre! 😳
I was one of the few fans at the time who didnt listen to any leaks, or snippets, even though so many people said they could send them to me.
Same. 👍🏻
After Invincible Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad Dangerous were released as special editions, with extra songs, so that how we got some unreleased songs.

The next big leak was XSCAPE. This time Michael was very upset and issued an official statement to the fanclubs and fan communities. This time it was seen as a bit more serious than the leaks from Invincible. It divided the fan community, many not seeing or caring about Michaels feelings. Again I never owned the original XSCAPE file, although some friends did and they would play it in their house or car. It upset me to hear it, which they knew, so they would skip it in the playlist.
OMG I remember how ANGRY that leak made me!!!! That was SUCH a mean thing to do!!!! 😡😡😡 I can’t remember how I got to hear it actually. 🤔
The big thing for unreleased songs was TUC. Its hard now to describe how amazing this was for the fan community. It was really seen as gift from Michael to us , an official release of demos and extra songs. It really was a huge deal in the fan community, and especially when it was released

OMG yeah that whole thing was SUCH a gift!!! 😍😍😍
Number Ones official compilation was released and we got One More Chance.
I wish we could one day get to see the footage from that video shoot. Make it the ”Making of One More Chance” and get the director to explain where Michael was gling with it, how he had planned it and what ut was supposed to look like in the end. He must’ve had some script or story board for it so show thst and explain it. That would be AAAAMAZING!!! 😍😍😍
History era was just so huge, but then afterwards he was doing various performances, so I never thought about whats next. Its hard to explain, he was part of our day to lives, so there wasnt this big expectation or push for new music. New music wasnt the main focus of the fan community, Michael the person was. We knew from early 1999 he was working on new music, we knew he was recording, but it was a gradual buildup to Invincible in 2001. We would hear about this person or that person meeting with him or going to the studio but that was about it.
WHAT? I disagree! 😌😂😂😂 I wrote about a HUNDRED parodies about how we cannot WAIT to get his new album and how hard it is because it’s taking so LOOOOONG and they said he wanted to get into films and I wrote about THAT…..BEGGING for a album in the songs!! 😌😂😂😂 (I made a parody thread in the ”What About Us” section so I’ll post all of them there if anyone wants to read. I posted some other parodies I wrote back in the day already but I’ll keep adding…I have TONS!! 😂😂) But I agree in a sense that since there wasn’t new music or an upcoming album to discuss, fans talked about other things. But there was so much happening all the time between HIStory and Invincible that we had plenty to talk about. I mean 1996-97 the tour. And Blood On The Dancefloor came out so we got new music to talk about. The movie ”Ghosts” came out. Then the MJ& Friends shows. etc. 👍🏻😃
1) this thread is PURE GOLD. thanks to everyone for the generous memories, the questions and the answers.
You’re very welcome! 😃 Happy to share if my MJ memories and afventures can bring some excitement and fun and happiness on here! ❤️
2) at the time of Dangerous release, it was known that an unreleased song « somebody put your hand out » existed, as it was possible to win the "not for sale" promo tape, which included also a Dangerous album medley on side 2. Winning this thing, either through a radio competition / game or in a shop (if you bought a pack of Pepsi bottles in my case !) was an valuable thing, because else… how in the world would you get to hear an unreleased song in a pre-internet world ?

The moment when the tune was briefly played as an interlude during the worldwide broadcast Bucarest concert was thus kind of an appreciated « Easter egg » !
I won it from the radio station and it must’ve been before the tour because I remember they actually played the song in whole at the Dangerous tour show I went to, before the show started and I was able to sing along. 😍 I couldn’t believe my luck when I won it and got to hold it in my hands!! 😍

Just WOW summer! And you were so sweet!!!! Its the pure love in it!! And so blessed to have won that Sony experience! And the amusement park is the BEST!!! Utterly amazing! Some parts are hilarious like when you were trying not to watch the screen like you would at home!! ROTFL!!!!
Thank you! 🙏🏻❤️ Yeah…I can’t be seen drooling after MJ in front of his people!! 😌😬😂😂😂 I had to be like ”Oh! Lovely!!! Wonderful!! Good job!!” *posh royal clap*👏🏻 And at home like…..*sits RIGHT in front of the TV*…*keeps PAUSING the tape…rewind…pause…..rewind…pause..pause….pause…rewind…pause it frame by frame…. and look like 😬😍🥰 while watching…REWIND …and get up and try to learn the choreographies…or jump up and down in front of the TV to the beat and go ”Woohooo!!!” because you’re too excited to watch it sitting down!! 😍😂😂😂😂😂

P.S. I read your long post and loved it!! 👍🏻 I’ll reply tomorrow…have too much to comment on so I’ll do it properly!! 😃

I always wondered if the first show had a different energy. Did you attend any other concert? If so: was it any different? Different feel or act, any mistakes maybe? I went to the HIStory concert in Berlin, but it was not until one year later.
Yeah I attended a total of three shows during the HIStory tour. 😃 I’ll write more about them in Part 2 of my HIStory era post, I just need to write it first so I’ll post it as soon as I’m done! 😃

I can understand that since I’m a pretty calm and quiet person myself, so I never cried or screamed when I saw Michael. And with scream I mean the ”AAAAAHH!!!!! Miiiiichaaaeeeelllll!!! I love youuuu Miiicchhaaeeelll!!” I did participate in the chants and singing at his hotel to get Michael come to the window or to send him a message because they were fun! (Once you went home, your voice was gone from all the changing and singing! 😂😂) Like, we’d chant ”Open the window!!!” or ”Show your face!!” and then he’d do that. Or we would chant ”How is Prince???” after he had beenn sick and at the hospital in 1999 and he’d come to the window and show us Prince to show us he’s okay! ❤️ And we’d do the ”F**k the oress!! Michael is the best!” chant and he’d come to the sindow with a ”Burn all tabloids” sign he had made himself out of a hotel tosel or pillow case. Or we’d chant ”We love you!!” and he’d come to the sindow with snother self-made sign saying how much he loves US and then he’d throw them down to us so that some lucky fan could get it. That’s what I meant earlier with us having waysto communicate with Michael without being in the same room. We made signs or chanted together what we wanted so he could hear it..And he made his own signs out of pillowcases or towels or bedsheets. Sometimes he threw the whole pillow too with a message on it. And he sent his bodyguards down to collect out letters and presents for him. I was able to give him my present twice 😍
I understand, no judgment. It was just not my thing and I never connected with fans in that way, it was a bit too cult-like to me, but hey I get it MJ was the biggest thing after Jesus 😉. Actually I once (kind of by chance) found myself outside his hotel, but that was a shit show due to the fact that the dangling incident happened. To be honest, I'm not sure how I would have reacted would I have ever met him in person, maybe I would have turned into that crazy screaming fangirl....well thats what I actually did, during the concerts 🤣. Once I actually scream so loud during a calm part of the Dangerous concert that MJ noticed me - he pointed at me and waved...all the fans around me were like OMG MJ just waved at you. I actually never tell this story because it sound so obnoxious and insane, but it's true!

Last edited:
I understand, no judgment. It was just not my thing and I never connected with fans in that way, it was a bit too cult-like to me, but hey I get it MJ was the biggest thing after Jesus 😉. Actually I once (kind of by chance) found myself outside his hotel, but that was a shit show due to the fact that the dangling incident happened. To be honest, I'm not sure how I would have reacted would I have ever met him in person, maybe I would have turned into that crazy girl screaming....well thats what I actually did, during the concerts 🤣
I was just about to come correct myself in the post to say….I did of course cheer (shout ”Woohoo!!!!! Go Michael!!!” or yell ”WE LOVE YOU!!”) at the shows or at press conferences. Because I thought it was normal there. And would’ve been a bit disrespectful and weird if he comes on stage and the crowd goes quiet. 😳😂😂😂 I mean, could you imagine the FIELD DAY the press would’ve had and the headllines, if that would’ve ever happened?!!! 🙀🥲 So I felt that was the proper place for it and for jumping up and down when excited.

I know I wouldn’t have turned into some crazy girl if I would’ve met him (that’s why I think it’s probably safe to say you wouldn’t have either if that’s not who you are). I was more concerned of being the OPPOSITE and acting like a mute and being like 😐😬 *silence….* 😂😂😂 And he’d be thinking ”Alrighty then…Bye!” *whispering* ”Is she deaf or a mute?😳*😂😂 He was RIGHT in front of me in London and I could’ve tried to say something but I was just like 😬😄. COMPLETELY silent. Not a peep coming out of my mouth. Just smiling so much my cheecks were hurting! 😂😂😂 My concern always was more that I look TOO calm, to the point where he’ll think that I’m completely indifferent about seeing him or not such a big fan or whatever if he happened to look at me! 😩😂😂 I knew I didn’t have to worry about looking like I’m losing my mind…I had to worry about the exact OPPOSITE …of looking TOO calm and collected🙀😂😂😂

I was just about to come correct myself in the post to say….I did of course cheer (shout ”Woohoo!!!!! Go Michael!!!” or yell ”WE LOVE YOU!!”) at the shows or at press conferences. Because I thought it was normal there. And would’ve been a bit disrespectful and weird if he comes on stage and the crowd goes quiet. 😳😂😂😂 I mean, could you imagine the FIELD DAY the press would’ve had and the headllines, if that would’ve ever happened?!!! 🙀🥲 So I felt that was the proper place for it and for jumping up and down when excited.

I know I wouldn’t have turned into some crazy girl if I would’ve met him (that’s why I think it’s probably safe to say you wouldn’t have either if that’s not who you are). I was more concerned of being the OPPOSITE and acting like a mute and being like 😐😬 *silence….* 😂😂😂 And he’d be thinking ”Alrighty then…Bye!” *whispering* ”Is she deaf or a mute?😳*😂😂 He was RIGHT in front of me in London and I could’ve tried to say something but I was just like 😬😄. COMPLETELY silent. Not a peep coming out of my mouth. Just smiling so much my cheecks were hurting! 😂😂😂 My concern always was more that I look TOO calm, to the point where he’ll think that I’m completely indifferent about seeing him or not such a big fan or whatever if he happened to look at me! 😩😂😂 I knew I didn’t have to worry about looking like I’m losing my mind…I had to worry about the exact OPPOSITE …of looking TOO calm and collected🙀😂😂😂
Thats sweet. BTW I added some more infos to my post:
Once I actually scream so loud during a calm part of the Dangerous concert that MJ noticed me - he pointed at me and waved...all the fans around me were like OMG MJ just waved at you. I actually never tell this story because it sound so obnoxious and insane, but it's true!

There we go!

After Thriller, I felt that it would be easily possible for MJ to outsell Thriller if he could start at ground zero like he did with Thriller. Singing about zombies was very random and I felt that was one of the novelties of it and using it as a 'formula' the next album could work the same way.
Expound on this?

Expound on this?
Meaning ground zero? So after Off The Wall was the disappointment to MJ that it was, he launched Thriller with an intent based around that, beating OTW.

If after Thriller the set off point was a new ground to break, not based on 'sell more than Thriller' standpoint, but rather, begin anew just as with Thriller, from a creative standpoint, not a 'numbers' competition standpoint.

To me, the concept of Thriller alone was the fact that the concept was 'new'. The concept of MJ being ''BAD'' is not a NEW concept. Another "novel" or "new" concept to follow Thriller might have beat Thriller, possibly.

Does that make more sense? Please expound, if not..

Last edited:
Meaning ground zero? So after Off The Wall was the disappointment to MJ that it was, he launched Thriller with an intent based around that, beating OTW.

If after Thriller the set off point was a new ground to break, not based on 'sell more than Thriller' standpoint, but rather, begin anew just as with Thriller, from a creative standpoint, not a 'numbers' competition standpoint.

To me, the concept of Thriller alone was the fact that the concept was 'new'. The concept of MJ being ''BAD'' is not a NEW concept. Another "novel" or "new" concept to follow Thriller might have beat Thriller, possibly.

Does that make more sense? Please expound, if not..
I get what you're saying. I guess I see your point actually. The blend of songs on Thriller are overall incredibly unique, lyrically wise. But a lot of that is thanks to outside The songs on Bad maybe less so, but it's MJs response. Bad the song is MJs answer to Thriller, sonically. Smooth Criminal is just as unique as Billie Jean.
Sonically I find it all very compelling. Also each era has one song borrowed from the last era.

I know I wouldn’t have turned into some crazy girl if I would’ve met him (that’s why I think it’s probably safe to say you wouldn’t have either if that’s not who you are). I was more concerned of being the OPPOSITE and acting like a mute and being like 😐😬 *silence….* 😂😂😂 And he’d be thinking ”Alrighty then…Bye!” *whispering* ”Is she deaf or a mute?😳*😂😂 He was RIGHT in front of me in London and I could’ve tried to say something but I was just like 😬😄. COMPLETELY silent. Not a peep coming out of my mouth. Just smiling so much my cheecks were hurting! 😂😂😂 My concern always was more that I look TOO calm, to the point where he’ll think that I’m completely indifferent about seeing him or not such a big fan or whatever if he happened to look at me! 😩😂😂 I knew I didn’t have to worry about looking like I’m losing my mind…I had to worry about the exact OPPOSITE …of looking TOO calm and collect
ROTFL!!!!!!
I get what you're saying. I guess I see your point actually. The blend of songs on Thriller are overall incredibly unique, lyrically wise. But a lot of that is thanks to outside The songs on Bad maybe less so, but it's MJs response. Bad the song is MJs answer to Thriller, sonically. Smooth Criminal is just as unique as Billie Jean.
Sonically I find it all very compelling. Also each era has one song borrowed from the last era.
Re: bolded, what do you mean ''borrowed"?

ROTFL!!!!!!

Re: bolded, what do you mean ''borrowed"?
WBSS is a straight up OTW Outtake. Another Part of Me, Liberian Girl, and Dirty Diana are all basically post Thriller pre Victory. These songs have long lives.

I forgot you're the guy who doesn't think This Is It from the 80s though... Maybe we disagree on a lot.

• Haha
WBSS is a straight up OTW Outtake. Another Part of Me, Liberian Girl, and Dirty Diana are all basically post Thriller pre Victory. These songs have long lives.

I forgot you're the guy who doesn't think This Is It from the 80s though... Maybe we disagree on a lot.
Basically what you're saying to me is, the progression is actually exactly as it should be, because where you see 'outtake', I see, 'offshoot'.

When I first heard WBSS it instantly put me in the mind, the vibe, of DSTYGE but even MORE progressive...so I see what you mean, just a different perspective I guess

THANK you SO MUCH for sharing your experience(s)!!! Its exciting to read about how excited young folks were about Michael Jackson because those of us who really grew up as he was growing were doing what he was doing, working for a living, trying to figure out our next and best moves, living own lives as 'adulting' became more and more challenging.

I must add, especially every time I see such diverse fans' experiences as yours, (and you were so independent and determined, its cute to me tbh and I can't help but to wonder what your parents felt about all of it),
I'm going to answer these two parts together, as for me and most of the fan friends I had at the time, we were all around the same.

I was mid 20's when I was travelling to see Michael at concerts, events and outside hotels.

I had been to college, and was working full time. I had left home and was supporting myself. Most of the fans I knew were the same, mid 20's and working full time.

In Europe we have very different laws regarding paid time off. By law every employee, no matter the skill level, or pay rate has to get approx 25 days paid time off per year. This does not include Bank Holidays, which are similar to Federal Holidays in America. I was working for a living, trying to figure out my next moves, I was adulting. Almost every I knew was the same.

We just used our paid time off to travel to see Michael. Our work colleagues took a week or 10 days to go to Spain on a cheap package holiday and spent the days lying by the beach or pool and going to clubs at night. We took a week off to go to a concert or event and were outside Michaels hotel. We were people from all walks of life, who just decided to use their vacation time different to what most people do.

My parents didnt really understand my life, but at the same time, I was not living at home, I was working, supporting myself and just using the vacation time that I was entitled to by law.
I don't feel you'd be derailing the thread at all to help me understand or expound (a bit) upon why it seems to bother you that we only knew about MJ what we read in the papers and saw on TV :chinrub: (or is it that I figured he didn't need me that bothers you?)
Yes thats it, that you thought he didnt need you, so you just went about your life.

• Wow
I'm going to answer these two parts together, as for me and most of the fan friends I had at the time, we were all around the same.

I was mid 20's when I was travelling to see Michael at concerts, events and outside hotels.

I had been to college, and was working full time. I had left home and was supporting myself. Most of the fans I knew were the same, mid 20's and working full time.

In Europe we have very different laws regarding paid time off. By law every employee, no matter the skill level, or pay rate has to get approx 25 days paid time off per year. This does not include Bank Holidays, which are similar to Federal Holidays in America. I was working for a living, trying to figure out my next moves, I was adulting. Almost every I knew was the same.

We just used our paid time off to travel to see Michael. Our work colleagues took a week or 10 days to go to Spain on a cheap package holiday and spent the days lying by the beach or pool and going to clubs at night. We took a week off to go to a concert or event and were outside Michaels hotel. We were people from all walks of life, who just decided to use their vacation time different to what most people do.

My parents didnt really understand my life, but at the same time, I was not living at home, I was working, supporting myself and just using the vacation time that I was entitled to by law.

Yes thats it, that you thought he didnt need you, so you just went about your life.
Well, when you say, "need" me noo I've always seen MJ as one who always had a lot of pragmatically powerful support with not knowing his business. Did you?

Well, when you say, "need" me noo I've always seen MJ as one who always had a lot of pragmatically powerful support with not knowing his business. Did you?

So this pragmatically powerful support you thought Michael had, who did you you think they were?

So this pragmatically powerful support you thought Michael had, who did you you think they were?
Hollywood Power House, Elizabeth Taylor, Legal Powerhouse, Johnny Chochran, Endless and countless supporters (fans) from every conceivable walk of life, and Michael's gynourmous and powerful family

Hollywood Power House, Elizabeth Taylor, Legal Powerhouse, Johnny Chochran, Endless and countless supporters (fans) from every conceivable walk of life, and Michael's gynourmous and powerful family

Other than the fans and Elizabeth, all those you listed were not part of Michael life in the last 10 years.

Hollywood Powerhouse, what does that mean?

Legal Powerhouse, what does that mean?

Michael had very little contact with his family outside of the big family reunion days. In March 2007 Michael came to London from Japan after the fan event. UK fans met him at Heathrow airport when he landed and then lost him on the way into the city. I was with a group of fans in central London. We were outside The Dorchester Hotel. We knew Michael was in London but were not sure which hotel he was at. While we were outside The Dorchester Hotel, Jermaine came out of the hotel and some fans decided to follow him in a taxi, thinking he was going to met Michael. Jermaine just went to a restaurant. The fans asked him about Michael. He did not know Michael was in London, he did not know Michael had been in Japan and he did not know what hotel Michael was staying at. Over the years Jermaine has been reminded of this on social media when he talks about Michael and every single time he blocks fans.

Its a carefully crafted PR smoke and mirrors by the Jackson family after Michael died that they were part of his life. They were only there when they needed something from him.

It was well known in the fan community that Michael basically had no one in the last 10 years of his life. Elizabeth, Mac and Mark Lester, a few wealthy Japanese connections, The Brunei Royal Family. THOSE were the people in Michaels life.

There were not endless and countless fans from every country.

There were about 50 fans who he saw on a regular basis, there were about 200 fans who went to the big events, and there was the online fan community, this forum and other European forums.

I find it very arrogant to have the mindset oh he didnt need me, he had others supporting him.

Other than the fans and Elizabeth, all those you listed were not part of Michael life in the last 10 years.

Hollywood Powerhouse, what does that mean?

Legal Powerhouse, what does that mean?

Michael had very little contact with his family outside of the big family reunion days. In March 2007 Michael came to London from Japan after the fan event. UK fans met him at Heathrow airport when he landed and then lost him on the way into the city. I was with a group of fans in central London. We were outside The Dorchester Hotel. We knew Michael was in London but were not sure which hotel he was at. While we were outside The Dorchester Hotel, Jermaine came out of the hotel and some fans decided to follow him in a taxi, thinking he was going to met Michael. Jermaine just went to a restaurant. The fans asked him about Michael. He did not know Michael was in London, he did not know Michael had been in Japan and he did not know what hotel Michael was staying at. Over the years Jermaine has been reminded of this on social media when he talks about Michael and every single time he blocks fans.

Its a carefully crafted PR smoke and mirrors by the Jackson family after Michael died that they were part of his life. They were only there when they needed something from him.

It was well known in the fan community that Michael basically had no one in the last 10 years of his life. Elizabeth, Mac and Mark Lester, a few wealthy Japanese connections, The Brunei Royal Family. THOSE were the people in Michaels life.

There were not endless and countless fans from every country.

There were about 50 fans who he saw on a regular basis, there were about 200 fans who went to the big events, and there was the online fan community, this forum and other European forums.

I find it very arrogant to have the mindset oh he didnt need me, he had others supporting him.
I believe we're talking about two different things! I was referring to the '93 case. That's during the time that I lost track and went on with my life.

As for who was in Michael's life at any point in time, I'm not as sure as you are of that information being accurate, as you are. I'd never p;resume to know exactly who is in someones' life,

especially someone famous, and particularly one who have every reason to safe guard some privacy for themselves by any means necessary.

Michael was famous his entire life. Its for that reason that I believe he knew exactly how to accomplish privacy, even in full 'view'' of fans.

I believe we're talking about two different things! I was referring to the '93 case. That's during the time that I lost track and went on with my life.
Wow, so when his world fell apart, when he needed support, you checked out and went on with your life.

Wow, so when his world fell apart, when he needed support, you checked out and went on with your life.

To answer your question about what does 'powerhouse' mean, just about nobody was more powerful than Liz in Hollywood at the time and Cochran was a very powerful attorney in the U.S. and as I understand it was contacted by Liz to support MJ.

What kind of support could I offer Michael Jackson in 1993?

Have my family move to Cali to sit in front of his house? at Neverland?

To answer your question about what does 'powerhouse' mean, just about nobody was more powerful than Liz in Hollywood at the time and Cochran was a very powerful attorney in the U.S. and as I understand it was contacted by Liz to support MJ.

What kind of support could I offer Michael Jackson in 1993?

Have my family move to Cali to sit in front of his house? at Neverland?
oh good gravy, this is just unreal. Trying to justify dropping Michael and going on with your life in 1993. I just cant. The fan campaigns back then are legendary, even as a teen before the internet and not part of fan communities I knew about them.

oh good gravy, this is just unreal. Trying to justify dropping Michael and going on with your life in 1993. I just cant. The fan campaigns back then are legendary, even as a teen before the internet and not part of fan communities I knew about them.

Yes, I had quite the life in 1993, my own 'fires' to put out and there was nobody calling anyone on my behalf.

I'm glad you and so many other fans were priviledged enough to lend your time, energy and attention to someone else's life.

I'd like to hear from fans who were aware of these legendary fan campaigns. This is the perfect thread for them to chime in.

But even if it was in the NY Times every week or on every bill board in the U.S., yes I had my hands completely full is my justification for trusting the powerful people in MJ's world to help him.

If I had had a 'say', MJ would've NEVER settled, but then, also, he really wanted to get on with his life and make it go away, so I doubt I'd have had a 'say' at all.

I believe in fact that, if it was up to me being in MJ's life, I'd have been forced by Michael to drop out his life at the first sign of the spread of his vitiligo from all the stress he was under and every manager, handler etc. would have been telling him, 'Michael, she HAS to go" ...

as fantasies go ...

but in real life, no, he wouldn't have ever 'needed' me in the first place

Back