James Brown

I LOVE Payback. It's got some amusing lyrics & great bass line. "ka razor", "chicken change" ... :D

He did two autobiographies: one in 1986 & one in 2003. If you can read both do. If not, read the first one. I think the best edition of the 1986 bio is the 2001 edition of it which has a foreword by Al Sharpton and an good epilogue. I don't have the details of the titles in front of me but you can look them up on Google and Amazon. You might be able to find these books at your library.

I love James Brown! True legend of performing!

I want to know more about this man, and i wonder if somebody could recommend some books or some dvds for me to buy because i want to know his story.

Would be great guys. Thanks! :D

isn't crazy that jb never had a number one hit , i read it that in the book of worl record but he did have 44 top 50 hits which is still awesome

JB Hits

isn't crazy that jb never had a number one hit , i read it that in the book of worl record but he did have 44 top 50 hits which is still awesome
I don't remember the exact numbers, but James was second to Elvis Presley as far as Top 100 Billboard singles goes. I think JB was 108 and Elvis was 130 something.

The Payback was written for a movie, but the director of the film rejected it and told James that it wasn't funky.

Double Dee & Steinski ~ Lesson 2

I used to tape songs off the radio with my boom box, and this was one of the songs I played a lot. This came out around the period that stuff like the Art Of Noise's Beat Box, Herbie Hancock's Rockit, and White Horse by Laid Back was popular.
[youtube]FQVXS9Hv9J4&fmt=18[/youtube]

I saw him live I think it was back in 2004/2005, it was one of his last shows, it was amazing to be standing in the same room as a legend and someone who inspired my all time favourite artist which is ofcourse MJ. About a year after I saw him live he died so I saw him at the right time and I feel so privileged to have seen a legend live, it was a once in a lifetime concert.

I can't think of a father/son relationship in music between two individuals who have pioneered so much and been so influential and connected to each other..I just don't think there has been..Certainly not where you have seen that both on the same stage and pass the torch..James Brown was mj's mentor in so many different areas and in some was never surpassed by mj in my opinion..In others he was.I am talking as a live performer, dancer, singer and in studio...But this relationship they had was uterly unique and if you think about each one as an individual human being and what they accomplished and then wht they accomplished together in music, it is staggering..What other teacer/pupil pair have achieved this much...There is noone even close and don't think there will be.

I would like to write alot about their connection because I have been fascinated with it ever since I knew about james brown and saw him perform.Then realised how much of it was inspired and gained by mj.I am still learning and seeing but it is incredible.

I found james brown thought mj like many others and became obsessed, still am..He was the first in so many ways and it annoys me many see him as the Sex Machine, I feel good man and that's it..This man is as much of a genius as mj and musically is as important as Mozart or anyone else I believe..He INVENTED a style of music and was a instigator of another .Of course he can't take all the credit but he takes quite a bit of it.

Saw James Brown twice in the last two years of his life..I recorded clips off my phone from the first concert..Was in an intimate venue called the Forum in Kentish Town.Now I love mj just as much so if i say something that I feel mj never did, it is not me hating on him in anyway..Just making an observation.Mj was of a new era and style.After a certain point mj never did ( although could have quite easily) intimate shows but only big concert ones..James Brown could do both as he was someone who worked alot harder than mj..He NEVER stopped touring as it was his life..Mj had other passions and things that occupied his time..James Brown was always on the road , sometimes 300 days of the year !..He lived and breathed it at all times and when he was not on the road, got in a very bad way indeed.So it was literally essential for him.He didn't know any other way..In that sense he could happily do a much smaller show and connect on a much more personal level.Big concert shows have a connection of course, But you can't feel as close to the performer.When you see my clips, I was inches away from the stage.Couldn't happen with an mj concert.James Brown was much more a man of the people who could be touched and in some ways preferred these smaller shows because he could see every feeling and emotion of everyone in the crowd.Mj's era was sold out stadium and everything in his career was on a much larger , grander scale but on one level could not connect to a crowd in the same way jb could.

In these clips, James Brown had just recovered from Prostate Cancer, slimmer and obviously happy to be back on stage..These were his twilight years but imo were so much better than the years in the early early to mid 90's.I had no idea what I was in for.His band then and over the years was maybe the most solid that there has ever beeen for a solo performer..It was a part of his genius and what was one of the attraction of his shows.What they could do was now legendary..They knew how to play all his songs and at a hand signal or grunt could play one of his songs..INSTANTLY..It was incredible to watch live and is a stroke of genius..James Brown was something mj was never, a band leader.He was fully conneted to his band and they were to him.It was a two way thing.In mj concerts, the band knows it's joband gets on with it..Playing mostly the same way each concert.No real changes or variations in tours.James brown would play one song around 100 different ways.Mj rarely acknowledged the band when he was performing a song in the ways jb did..If you look at how many times jb turned to face the band, instigate a song a change, a demand...Mj would be the sole performer and would be just about him.He would not signal to the band or lead them into the next song.It was all done in sections..With jb, for many concerts he never left the stage and so it was one continous flow of jb directing the band into the next song...I might talk about that all later.

But this clip was something jb didn't do that much..It was a contained and individual dance with no music..Just a drum beat..The thing I personally love about this clip is james brown actully acknowleged me before he danced..I was dancing soo much in the whole show and truely respect all song and dance men.I love the instinctive, raw and unrehearsed style of jb.He would dance in so many different moments in a song and not always at the same time or with the same moves.He just felt the muic, like mj..They both danced inside the music and complemented the sounds they heard.From there, they just felt it and NEVER thought about it.They just flowed...

I was dancing at the same times jb did in the show and he looked and smiled at me from time to time.I knew certain moments he would start to move and dance but this was awesome because james brown suddenlt goes 'Now I want you to watch this' and he points to me and gives me sorta ' watch this kid gesture' and then danced...He was 73 years old..He tneghen asked some of his band if they were ok.he not doubt had a new lease of life and I am so glad I saw this first performance back in uk since he got over the cancer..He was so happy and I think a week later he did Live 8 and was the stand out performer that night..To go from a crowd of maybe 300 to a concert the size of mj , at his age and to be sooo in command, self assured and energetic and exciting is testament to his greatness..He was in charge of that stage and venue at Live 8.

I go down to film his legs at certain times when in recorded clips at the forum because another interesting thing is that He moves his legs in the most unique way.Not many people notice it..But if you look at clips..One leg is slightly more bent, But both legs move at the same time...I have never seen another performer with such a solid and individual leg movement when performing.Not even mj has a standard movement when he performs althought his is still quite unique.He had his legs spread apart and one leg stomps the ground more..But James Browns leg style was utterly unique and it can define a performer and their on stage persona..No one seems to of realised that.

A good example of the standard James brown legs are here...He moves them both at the same time but in slightly different ways...Jb was also one of if not the best ad libber and improviser in performing..Certainly as a song/dance man..Mj was a more seasoned dancer and did improvise in parts but not as often..I think jb danced in more moments in songs than mj..It was more contained with mj and he did let loose but not as much..But he did improvise and ad lib alot and was just as good if not better in some respects at improvising dancing as jb..In studio jb and mj were great ad libbers in song..Jb creating noises and grunts and moans that are as eddie murphy put it, james brown lyrics..Mj got this all from him...Jb would do different noises and groans in ALL his performances and they would all fit perfectly..Mj did it too but not as much..Certainly performing live..But on record thy would ad lib and were exceptional..Look at how mj ad libs in a chorus and he obv has his own defintions of a jb grunt..But jb improvised and ad libbed words into this songs aswell..His songs were not as structred and therefore could be played around with more in a live setting...Many mj concerts were mj performing the songs ' as they were when he recored them'..Tht is what he wanted..James brown did hi songs at different tempos..Different accents on certain instiruments and played around with his songs alot more...But I mean if you look at 1.17..He would never sing that note in that way and that was an example of how different he could make a moment sound..His vocal inflections were incredible and were songs and rhythms in themselves.

Here is another clip of Jb at the forum doing soul man..Look at 1.58..An indicaition to his band leading skills..He just starts conducting.For one, it just looks cool.Everytime he dictates a sound the band does in the way he does, It just looks soo cool..Wish more would be band leaders these days...this is soul manman..Look out for the move he does at 4.00..I have seen alot of jb moves and neverrr seen that one..Now rem he is 72 and that is one of the coolest moves i have ever seen.A performer now could of used that move..It is hard to make out because the quality is not good but if you can make it out you will undeerstand..Wonderful improviser of dance and sounds in his songs.

Last edited:
^^^^^Acts from that era like James Brown, Little Richard, and B.B. King just love to perform. B.B. said he doesn't know what retirement means, lol. Many of today's acts don't care about performing and just want to make money and be famous. Most of the old acts didn't make any money.

^^^^^Acts from that era like James Brown, Little Richard, and B.B. King just love to perform. B.B. said he doesn't know what retirement means, lol. Many of today's acts don't care about performing and just want to make money and be famous. Most of the old acts didn't make any money.

Yup v true..that is one reason music is in suh a bad/mechanical non inventive, innovative way...All care bout money and releasing crap album after album..As mj said with brett ratner..Most songs on the albums stink, there might be one or two good ones..

But they lost money for many different reasons..Sometimes their own fault and bad management..Other times it was the sharks around them..Or that they needed to fund their habits..

Sadly james brown was in a awful state by the last few years..The consumate performer he was and a trick the pro's know is to never ever show this on stage..On stage you are powerful and strong...But many nights james brown was in agony...When mj was on the crane and fell, he never showed the pain..Peeps like jb taught him that..James brown had alot of addictions like pcp and crack by the end and apparently forgot to wear shin pads one night doing the fallin on the knees move and fuked up his knees badly...What he had to go through after a show in terms of recovery was v sad to think off...I am surpirsed he lived that long and still worked that hard but he was dependant on the uppers to get him through it

When I saw this on TV...I thinked of James Brown. She also said JB was her inspiration.

Here is some interesting info about james brown and also from the two nights mj and james brown were on stage together.I talk Harley Ferri's brother.Harley was is the band leader of the Soul G's and has been on trumphet for jb for about 30 years..He has a moustache and he told me alot of interesting stuff..Paints a sad picture thought of life behind the stage performer.These are the words from a source

''I met JB in 1964 and later started doing odd jobs in 1968, we are both from the same area. My brother is in England right now with Joss Stone, he is the first white member of the band, and the day JB died, Joss hired Hollie and Jeff to work for her. I last saw him 6 weeks before he died.Last time I saw him we both knew death was standing next to him. he was thin to the bone, and his jaw shrunk and his teeth were chopping. he could no longer bend, and the cape was just done at the end for pix to be taken.
The music as we knew it is all dead.. no one to carry on, soul-r&b-funk is dead to the kids who buy music today, and it has always been controled by the young, even the last concerts we did, most under 40 coming, as we get older, we don't give a fuck about spending $$$ and getting dressed for a show.. So only in gospel is the craft still alive,voice contours and pitch and timing.

James brown and his d.o.b...?

''His Valet, Danny Ray held his passport, and it did say DOB 1928. Pops, his father said he was really not sure because JB was born in Barnwell Co. S.C. and they never felt the need to go into the city to reg. his birth because miss susie, his mom, left right after he was born, and miss. washington, an aunt raised him, and until he needed to get into school, they never had a birth certificate for him.''

How James Brown started out -

'' JB got his first money as a shoe shine and tap dance kid, just like i did, he put on a real show, and willie glynn, his pal, held up the box for the coins. he was a street preformer at night, and petty thief in the day to feed hinself, remember, he was abandoned by his mom and dad, and dumped at miss honeys house, his aunt who had a whore house in augusta ga, while in prison for steeling a car battery, he stunned people by his ability to sing and do over the top dances. a local kid named bobby byrd was on a baseball team that was allowed to come on the prison grounds and play the prison team, without bobbys help, and him getting his mom to sponser JB, and the warden giving him a chance, you would never have heard of JB.''

About Danny Raye the cap man -

'' Danny Raye was a very well known singer and had a successful act as an impersonator. St. Clair hired him to help Mrs. Sanders, the first valet for JB in about 1962, and we used danny to open the show as well as set up for JB in the dressing room and get the uniforms ready, cleaned, and from town to town.Danny ray is very sick, and broke now, we had a benifit last year for him to save him from being homeless. ''

Drugs and Back Stabbers

''JB used to have a kool and take a few puffs to relax, then he would have a joint as well, and in the end was smoking sherms with angel dust, and PCP. the last months, very heavy into Crack Cococane. This is all very public stuff in Augusta. He was just so fucking tired of his life, and the endless day to day routene of it all. He was also broke, and we found out the three people he trusted with his money and investments, namely one david cannon, had looted him to the point he had no choice than to work all these dates in such pain. Mr Cannon has been charged in SC court, and will no doubt do many years prison time. James was one very unhappy and untrusting man, I knew him almost 40 years. with out the dope, he had no reason to live, with it he felt better,but had to afford it, so had to do the same show, same songs, same old shit, night after endless night.

''Drugs well ,can't be without them, touring and sleeping in shitty hotels, time zones, bad blow jobs, late flights, driving all fucking night and day to make a show, and you have to be 110% to hit the stage and bring it on for the people, In 1964 I was given some black pills from Little Richards guy... all the sudden i knew how Jerry Lee Lewis, Richard, Elvis, and JB got the atomic power to rip a fucking hall to the floor! and do it again and again! SPEED! and then you crash unless you can get some downers, and there you have it! You are regulated by chemicals! Like to fuck and cum for an hour? Coke! and wanna feel what it's like to have 100.000 fans go nuts for you, while no one is in your room? Coke! So with enough $$ the world is custom made to run for you, as you want it, and how you want it to be. Hollie and I smoke lightly, he just came back from a tour with Joss, finished in Germany on July 23rd. Only problem with Coke is that you can very easily burn through $5.000 a day, and you WILL have your Coke friends with you at all times, and add the cost of there dope. Soon you are one Rick James, broke assed and washed up junkie, and you can't get a gig at a bowling alley for $100 and you can't afford a fucking aspirin! ''

James Brown and his Image

''We had an entire show, from clay tyson in comedy and t.v. mama else mae, and the browines, flames, danny ray, yvonne fair, marva, lynn, we never had to have a shaired bill, promoted the entire show, rented the hall, had a p.r. team (bob patton, a white guy) a total self contained package. right down to selling programs and things in the lobby, JB controled it all.

Influence

''James loved the nicholis brothers for dancing... just blew him away, because when he was a kid, he went to the imperial theater to see the black movies, and the shorts were always some slick music, the nicholes (can't spell) bros. and the cool and heavy on the brass of louis jorden. these two set him up for what he looked for in an act, a guy named leon austen tought JB to play some strange pre funk on the paino, and then in the trenity baptest church he could feel the power of a live show when the church people started to fall out and loose thier damn minds!

Tricks

'' Jb had the secret of "stress and release" in a tune. JB used this all the time, no one caught on.stress and release.. like when you are driving a car with the brakes on, then you let them off! feel the surge and fredom! make it funky is a good example, the bridge is the release.No tricks at all, just raw lust for what he did. You can never fool people into some fakery on stage for mare than a few nights, James was all real in every respect. He used plenty of showmanship to get his talent over, but it was all him.''

His work ethic, Philosopy and mentality

''James was a showman. he did some shows in such pain that most people would be in a hospital bed, but when he walked onto the stage, he could feed from the energy of the people, he really used this to keep going, his off stage life was pure shit , I know. along with Mr. Bobbitt and even Mr. Bart I was right next to him, he could not sleep, he knew for sure one missed record and it could all be over, he kept looking for a new flavor, and sharper edge, a new color.. he invented new words, new dances, new looks, he wanted to be so clean then he was totally in a class alone. he gid not want to impress you, he wanted to knock your fucking soul out of your body! he wanted to be so overwhelming that he made an addiction in your brain, that you had to have some JB, when you worked, you were in tune with his stuff, when you fucked, you did it to a JB 1-3 beat. you were going to buy a JB fix everytime a new dose was released. ''

''Here is how he saw his work lated in life, and the reason he was relaxed in interviews and shows.. "you wake up in the same hotel, take the same limo to the same hall, play the same songs for the same people, get on the same plane, fly in a pattern for two hours, land at the same airport, back to the same hotel, do it all over again, day after day, the same people asking the same questions on the same topics, same games coming at you for your paper, same silly shit from the people who work for you, can't trust or depend on them, they want your pie like a rat wants cheese. you make more, spend more, have to make more to service all the shit you have, need the shit you have to get out of bed to go to work for it..wonder if you will ever again feel good about it all like when you sold your first 100 records, and heard your voice the first time on the local radio station. now you sold 300 million and you want to kill yourself, but smile for the camera, make that money to stop all the calls, and someplece hope god will lift you out of this tar pit you are stuck in.''

''JB had to do shows that people would pay to see, then meant high energy, good good, big payback screemers. as he became sicker, no more splits, no more cape drape ( not sure about this as I saw him do it.), and lots of quick snippits of the hits, interlaced with ballads so he could rest up for the next flash of a funk hit. very clever cover up for a sick old guy, who masterfully put together a happy show that took little energy, the horns projected high stress and power, james just did some fake moves and looked happy. he knew he could never retire, life off the road was shit, he could not function at home, hated to be alone with no one to control, so even after a 90 day tour, with in one week he would call every one backto Augusta for a rehersal!! fucking people never had a chance to unpack yet! ''

''We all stayed as far away from JB as we could off stage, coz he was always looking for someone to fuck with over some petty shit Fake moves would mean he would have the band hit hard, and the drums do some accents to his moves at times, but if you saw his feet , legs, it was all get ready for nothing, but he was a real master at faking out people, we were in toranto in 1981 and he was a little highfrom some weed, and when he dropped to do please please please, insted of the little pads he used to sometimes had on, he forgot, and hit hard and split his patellas on his knee caps, he never recovered and got authrites from that, and still dropped and every night, had to use garbage cans after the show to soak his feet and knees in salts, even before he left the gig. Hollie and i were at his place in Dickson Tenn last christmas, and we both agreed JB was a wonder of the world, and sometimes be the best friend you could ever want, and other times you would be the target of his rage, for no reson! Happened to me a thousand times! EVERYONE got fired, over and again! you had to go to Augusta and see him at the office and ask for your job back, and he would always hire you. you would play and have fun with with him when he was in a playful mood, you always knew he was a snake and would turn on you in a second, so you were very careful! Yeah, he needed a rest, he was a poor soul and all alone, a great actor, but on the way way to the hotel he would have that 1000 mile look.''

James Brown and Michael Jackson

''I knew MJ when he was a little kid. His dad brought the kids to us and wanted JB to take them under his wing, and develope them, JB said he alredy has 23 people who act like kids on the road, why the hell would be want to be a baby sitter to five more?

''hollie and I were at that concert, it was at the old beverely theater in beverly hills, we had no idea who was going to show up, but it was all sold out long before we came because it was covered by a video truck on the street, and BB was always a great draw with james. the fire marshal was all over that place because some of the poor band members with all access passes, were walking people in from the street for $75 a pop, and when the lights went down, all these people in the isles and lobby! cops cleared all of them out. bb open the show, then a break, and we did our open, we did have rebe jackson down in the basement and she said MJ was going to try to show, but not sure. Mr. bart ownes universal attractions, his dad was jack bart, the first big time mgr of JB and the one who tought him big time business, the leasing of the jet, hireing lawyers, from 1963 on into the 1970's mr bart was the man, but JB fought all his advice and fired him, right after that JB went to jail over the radio station deal, and then the IRS was all over him like a rash. anyway, that night at the beverly, prince cme first but was on coke in his limo, MJ was in the seats because someone gave a seat up for him, so it was a surprise to us all. and that was a long night, i wa so tired i remember it, and to this day the band has never been paid! union contract and they were to be paid by the union, JB stiffed them out of that.
We play all the time to big clebs in the audience in disguise or just trying to hide out. Elvis was one guy who was always in the booth in Vegas and we knew it, but just tried to make him relax and enjoy the show. he had a cheep suit and a blond wig that made him look like a tourist from Bulgaria or something. He would come in with his party after the lights went down, and leave before the end of the show.''

This is from another source but just shows how two geniuses can make a spontaneous moment look rehearsed and practised.But this was purely feeling and going with the moment, flowing and just creating a moment that will live forever in music history and been seen as a classic moment..It was amazing the first time..But it is just so smooth to watch and you can tell they are one and the same in how they feel and think.

I met up with Hollie and Jeff in March. That day, Michael Jackson had flown into London in preparation for his press conference at the O2. I was one of a handful of people who knew when and where he was flying in, as I was in touch with somebody in his camp, and I had sent a photographer to snap him getting off of the plane. (It turned out that we got the exclusive pictures - they went to The Sun.)

I mentioned it to Hollie and Jeff and asked them about the BET performance and they said that they had rehearsed the moment but not with Michael Jackson. Nobody - not JB, not the band - knew Michael Jackson would walk onstage at that moment. They had rehearsed with some woman presenting the award and presumed that it would be her on the night.

Jeff's exact words to me were:

"It was like 'Hey, that guy looks like Michael Jackson. HOLY SH*T! That IS Michael Jackson!!'"

He says they all got to shake MJ's hand backstage.

More on Michael Jackson and James Brown

When Michael Jackson walked onto the stage at James Brown Arena on Dec. 30, 2006, to say a few words about the man from whom he emulated many of his dance moves, the thousands there beseeched him to do a few of his own.

Deanna Brown Thomas knows why and is grateful for the pop singer's restraint at her father's funeral.

"He didn't come for show," Mrs. Thomas said on Thursday after learning of the pop singer's death. "Everybody wanted him to get on the stage and dance, and he didn't do that. He came to give respect and that's what he did. Michael came as Michael, a friend and a huge fan of Dad."

She said she gained even more respect for Mr. Jackson for the way he came to Augusta, not being accompanied by the usual entourage that clings to celebrities of Mr. Jackson's stature. That let her know, she said, that the singer truly came to honor her father.

Mrs. Thomas said Mr. Jackson loved her father, and the feeling was mutual. She said one of his fondest memories was of the self-proclaimed "King of Pop" presenting the "Godfather of Soul" a lifetime achievement award from BET in 2003.

"I know that day Dad was so happy and elated," Mrs. Thomas said. "It touched dad's heart."

Mr. Jackson came to Augusta the day before the funeral, she said. After he arrived and met with the family, he requested a private viewing of his idol, which was granted. Mrs. Thomas said he spent at least a couple of hours with her father at C.A. Reid Sr. Memorial Funeral Home.

The humbleness Mr. Jackson showed was something that took others by surprise.

"He just seemed like such a humble, quiet person," said Robert "Flash" Gordon, the general manager of the arena at the time. "He had such a sweet-like personality. I thought he would have been more standoffish."

Mr. Gordon, who owns two music stores, said he expects there to be a run today on Jackson paraphernalia, similar to what happened after Mr. Brown's death.

He said he sold out of Jackson CDs soon after the news of the singer's passing.

"There's going to be a whole lot of interest," Mr. Gordon said. "I won't have enough (today). It's going to be like when Mr. Brown died."

Mrs. Thomas, who said she contacted the Jackson family to pay her respect, knows a lot of the interest in Mr. Jackson will be directed toward his behavior.

She said her father never was put off by what was reported about Mr. Jackson, an empathy gained from him too being in the public spotlight for decades.

"My dad understood the business," Mrs. Thomas said. "He understood how things can get carried away in the media. By the time the story get printed or the story get told, it might be 10 different ways. Dad understood very well how things worked."

She said there will never be another Michael Jackson or James Brown.

The music they made will never be duplicated, Mrs. Thomas said, though it might be carried on somewhere other than this earth.

"Can you imagine what that heavenly choir is going to be like now?" she asked. "Hmm, Hmm, Hmm."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgl_z9eBiGc

In this clip james brown talked about mj in a weird way..He said he forgot himself and also that he was the one who first found him..I thought it was all very unnecessary to say as he was his MENTOR and musical father!..He didn't need to add on to this claiming he found him aswell.

And this is fascinating because it shows the connection James Brown had with Classical music!

It is the most insightful interview with james brown and rare because he opens up about his music.Mainly because he is so impressed with the knowledge of Michael Thomas.He really explains alot behind his musical philosophy and it is the most interesting james brown interview you will ever hear in regards to his music.

http://americanpublicmedia.publicradio.org/programs/mtt_files/mtt_07.shtml

Let me know what you all think

When I saw this on TV...I thinked of James Brown. She also said JB was her inspiration.

Wow thanks for that..Had never heard of here..That performance is allll james brown..Literally a carbon copy almost..So glad someone is using a mike stand again..horaay..And love her shoes and voice..All the dancing and moments in that performance are a copy of jb which is a bit of a shame but at least she knows about musicianship and is wise, talented and not contrived..Love her

Thanks for the report. I didn't know that Rebbie was at the JB/B.B. King show from 83. My mom used to have the videotape of that concert, but the Prince part was edited out of the official release for obvious reasons. :p But I've seen the Prince portion before though.

Thanks for the report. I didn't know that Rebbie was at the JB/B.B. King show from 83. My mom used to have the videotape of that concert, but the Prince part was edited out of the official release for obvious reasons. :p But I've seen the Prince portion before though.

Funny thing I love about prince is he was just as in awe of jb when he came n stage but trie to place it cool and act like he was not intimidated or eager to please him..He kiinda hugs him like he not nervous and doesn't give a f**k but in truth he is so EAGER to please a person e sees as an idol...Case in point is were prince does the mikestand trick but just before he does it..He looks around to make sure jb is gonna watch..Sadly jb misses it because he is putting prince's coat away..But even after prince did the move..You see him look up to check if jb saw.

Just funny how both mj and prince are eager to impress their mentor, but mj has no quarms in showing how much he loves and admires jb.Prince acts like it not a big deal to him when it actually is..Could be the drugs though lol..I loved the cord prince first got on that guitar though..Gave jb a big smile

Funny thing I love about prince is he was just as in awe of jb when he came n stage but trie to place it cool and act like he was not intimidated or eager to please him..He kiinda hugs him like he not nervous and doesn't give a f**k but in truth he is so EAGER to please a person e sees as an idol...Case in point is were prince does the mikestand trick but just before he does it..He looks around to make sure jb is gonna watch..Sadly jb misses it because he is putting prince's coat away..But even after prince did the move..You see him look up to check if jb saw.

Just funny how both mj and prince are eager to impress their mentor, but mj has no quarms in showing how much he loves and admires jb.Prince acts like it not a big deal to him when it actually is..Could be the drugs though lol..I loved the cord prince first got on that guitar though..Gave jb a big smile
Terence Trent D'Arby also had a JB influence, but TTD's voice was closer to Sam Cooke's.

Discography 1960's

1960 Think
1961 James Brown Presents His Band
1961 The Amazing James Brown
1961 Night Train
1962 Shout & Shimmy
1962 Tours the U.S.A.
1962 Jump Around
1963 Prisoner of Love
1964 Showtime
1964 Out of Sight
1964 Grits & Soul
1965 James Brown Plays James Brown: Yesterday and Today
1965 Papa's Got a Brand New Bag
1966 I Got You (I Feel Good)
1966 James Brown Plays New Breed
1966 It's a Man's Man's Man's World
1966 Handful of Soul
1966 Mighty Instrumentals
1966 James Brown Sings Christmas Songs
1967 Sings Raw Soul
1967 James Brown Plays the Real Thing
1967 Cold Sweat
1968 I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me
1968 I Got the Feelin'
1968 James Brown Plays Nothing But Soul
1968 James Brown Presents His Show of Tomorrow
1968 Soul Party
1968 A Soulful Christmas King
1968 Thinking About Little Willie John and a Few Nice Things
1969 Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud
1969 Gettin' Down to It
1969 It's a Mother
1969 The Popcorn

Discography 1970's

1970 Ain't It Funky
1970 Soul on Top
1970 It's a New Day - So Let a Man Come In
1970 Hey America
1971 Sho Is Funky Down Here
1971 Hot Pants
1971 Soul Brother No. 1
1972 There It Is
1972 Get on the Good Foot
1973 Black Caesar
1973 Slaughter's Big Rip Off
1973 The Payback
1974 Hell
1974 Reality
1975 Sex Machine Today
1975 Everybody's Doin' The Hustle & Dead On The Double Bump
1976 Get up Offa That Thing
1976 Bodyheat
1976 Hot
1977 Mutha's Nature
1977 Strangers
1978 Jam/1980's
1978 Take a Look at Those Cakes
1979 The Original Disco Man

Forgive me please if my post is out of context here, but my daughter was keen to show me on her sky channel a tribute act recently by James Brown.:)
He was singing to man in the mirror and broke down crying.:(
Some critics said it was a publicity stunt.
Why are poeple so keen to diss anything? :(
Anyway sorry I'm so tired that I havent read all posts relating to this. Hope my reply isnt out of context or repeating:doh:

Discography 1980's

1980 People
1980 Soul Syndrome
1981 Nonstop!
1983 Bring It On!
1986 Gravity
1988 I'm Real

Discography 1990's & 2000's

1991 Love Over-Due
1992 Universal James
1998 I'm Back
1999 The Merry Christmas Album

2002 The Next Step

There is also an album James recorded the year he died (2006), but remains unreleased at present.

Live Albums

1963 Live at the Apollo
1964 Pure Dynamite! Live at the Royal
1967 Live at the Garden
1968 Live at the Apollo Vol. 2
1970 Sex Machine
1971 Revolution of the Mind - Live At The Apollo Vol. III
1971 Super Bad
1980 Hot on the One
1980 Live and Lowdown at the Apollo, Vol. 1
1981 Live in New York
1982 Mean on the Scene
1989 Soul Session Live
1985 Live in Concert
1991 Greatest Hits Live
1992 Love Power Peace
1995 Live at the Apollo 1995
1995 Live in Concert
1998 Say It Live & Loud: Live in Dallas 1968
2002 Startime Live
2004 Live at the Apollo 1962 {Deluxe Edition}

Compilations

1964 Unbeatable James Brown
1967 Presenting the James Brown Show
1972 Soul Classics
1973 Soul Classics, Vol. 2
1975 Soul Classics, Vol. 3
1977 Solid Gold: 30 Golden Hits
1978 Fabulous James Brown
1981 Can Your Heart Stand It!
1981 The Best of James Brown
1982 James Brown
1984 The Federal Years, Pt. 1
1984 The Federal Years, Pt. 2
1984 Ain't That a Groove 1966-1969
1984 Roots of a Revolution
1984 Doing It to Death 1970-1973
1985 The CD of JB
1985 Dead on the Heavy Funk (74-76)
1985 Greatest Hits
1986 In the Jungle Groove
1986 James Brown's Funky People
1987 The CD of JB II
1988 James Brown's Funky People, Pt. 2
1988 Motherlode
1988 Santa's Got a Brand New Bag
1989 Tribute
1990 Messing with the Blues
1990 Soul Jubilee
1991 Star Time {4 disc box set}
1991 20 All-Time Greatest Hits!
1991 Soul's Alive
1992 The Greatest Hits of the Fourth Decade
1992 Spank
1992 Is Back
1993 Soul Pride: The Instrumentals (1960-69)
1994 At Studio 54
1994 Turn It Loose
1995 Tell Me What You're Gonna Do
1995 70's Funk Classics
1995 Christmas
1995 The Best of James Brown
1995 Soul Machine
1995 Living in America
1995 James Brown's Funky Christmas
1996 Golden Hits
1996 Foundations of Funk: A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969
1996 Funk Power 1970: A Brand New Thang
1996 Make It Funky -- The Big Payback: 1971-1975
1996 Hooked on Brown
1996 JB40: 40th Anniversary Collection
1997 James Brown's Golden Classics
1997 Golden Hits
1998 Funky Goodtime
1998 Greatest Hits
1998 Dead on the Heavy Funk, 1975-1983
1998 The Very Best of James Brown
1998 Gold Collection
1998 Godfather of Soul
1998 Sex Machine
1999 Prisoner of Love
1999 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection Vol. 1
1999 Cold Sweat
2002 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection Vol. 2
2005 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection Vol. 3

Forgive me please if my post is out of context here, but my daughter was keen to show me on her sky channel a tribute act recently by James Brown.:)
He was singing to man in the mirror and broke down crying.:(
Some critics said it was a publicity stunt.
Why are poeple so keen to diss anything? :(
Anyway sorry I'm so tired that I havent read all posts relating to this. Hope my reply isnt out of context or repeating:doh:
James died in 2006. I think you're talking about Chris Brown.

Back