Judith Hill, Michael Jackson’s Former This Is It Duet Partner is allready ‘Voice’ Frontrunner

264509_478004878942482_1691589247_n.jpg

My heart breaks for judith :( it must be so hard for her to let go of that day knowing she was there at rehearsals for his shows but shes such a fighter and that what i like the most bout her

264509_478004878942482_1691589247_n.jpg

My heart breaks for judith :( it must be so hard for her to let go of that day knowing she was there at rehearsals for his shows but shes such a fighter and that what i like the most bout her

What happened?

I thought/think she's got amazing pipes, loads of luck to her. :flowers:

Better quality of her performance (no judge comments)

[youtube]t9ZrhV90Z0c&feature[/youtube]

This is another brilliant 'tribute' to MJ on a high profile TV event.
It's good to see MJ is still receiving support in a high profile way. It would have been so easy to cancel the performance of TWYMMF and use the backup song instead due to all the BS going on at the moment but they carried on.

I kept saying you can do it Judith, Michael will be right there with you. So emotional I think she really miss Michael.

Re: MJ Tributes At 2013 Billboard Music Awards By Chris Brown And Tracy Morgan

THis was said about Judith Hill last night:

Judith Hill tackled the artist that she last worked with as a background singer: Michael Jackson. At first, Judith was very torn about performing this song as she worked with the King of Pop before he passed on in 2009, but she overcame it and delivered a sultry cover of the MJ standard. Right now, I bet MJ was smiling down on Judith from heaven as he watched this! A+

Some other reviews:

From Vulture:

Judith Hill, “The Way You Make Me Feel”
Judith did a fantastic rendition of “The Way You Make Me Feel.” She is really quite effective on bubblier songs. She should sing them more! Judith was really upset that people might think she was exploiting or taking advantage of Michael Jackson because she worked with him, but she definitely was not. I felt bad that she cried about it though. It was actually quite sensitive of her, since no one ever thinks they are exploiting anything on télé-réalité.

From Yahoo:

Judith Hill – Judith's backstory as Michael Jackson's This Is It duet partner and memorial singer has been well-documented on "The Voice," and some naysayers have even accused her of exploiting MJ's legacy, or at least of being too professionally connected/experienced to deserve a spot on this show. Whatever. But because of all this, I could certainly understand why Judith was reluctant to sing a Michael classic on "The Voice." Her coach Adam, however, insisted that she do "The Way You Make Me Feel." I had nothing against her covering a Michael song, but I didn't quite understand this choice. Of all the Michael Jackson tunes out there, this wasn't quite the one to show what Judith can do vocally, nor did it set her up to have an emotional, poignant moment. Adam explained that he wanted her to sing something uptempo and lighthearted for once, and while the performance started off slow and jazzy, which is sort of Judith's signature style, she did eventually pick up the pace. Her adlibs at the end were true thrillers — as was her "Beat It"-style strut — but this still wasn't the "moment" it could or should have been. Host Carson Daly seemed moved, however, telling a visibly shaken Judith, "That was equal parts you paying homage to somebody that's a big part of your life, and you being you, incredibly." Usher, a major Michael fan (he too performed at MJ's memorial), also said he was touched. Adam assured Judith, "This audience was so receptive to what you did." No one really wanted to critique this performance, knowing how much Michael had meant to Judith. But I think a different MJ song ("Human Nature," "Earth Song," "She's Out of My Life") could have had more impact.

From Rolling Stone:

Judith Hill Pays Tribute to Michael Jackson

Speaking of Adam, two of his contestants hit it out of the park. The first was Judith Hill, who did a stellar rendition of Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel." The other was Sarah Simmons with Jessie J's "Mamma Knows Best."

At first, Judith was reluctant to sing the MJ song Adam picked for her, breaking down and crying over the fact that she missed her one-time duet partner and saying she was afraid people would think she was taking advantage of him. But we're so glad Adam didn't back down, as Judith easily delivered the best performance of the night.

Starting off with a slow, jazzy feel, the song soon built into a funky take on the pop classic. And she looked great in a ruffled one-piece jumpsuit and a seriously gravity-defying hairdo. When she started crying after the song ended, Usher admitted he felt her pain: "I miss him, I miss him so much," he said amid praise for the performance. And Adam lauded it as a "celebration" of Jackson's legacy. And indeed it was.

I appreciate this so much and the tribute at the billboard awards too. Especially right now. It means a lot. The fact that she was worried that it would look like she would be exploiting Michael or taking advantage of him just shows to me that she really did value her time with Michael. I think he would be smiling at her and tell her to go for it. Thank you Judith!

AngieJ Thanks so much for these quotes as well.
but this still wasn't the "moment" it could or should have been.
But I think a different MJ song ("Human Nature," "Earth Song," "She's Out of My Life") could have had more impact.
this wasn't quite the one to show what Judith can do vocally, nor did it set her up to have an emotional, poignant moment.

I agree. Tho Judith did a great job and she looked gorgeous, and as much as I love TWYMMF,
it did lack a lil somethin'. IMHO.

:) Hey there Marebear.

Guys, have you noticed that none of the judges spoke Michael's name? If you watch the video, especially with Usher's comments, he says "I too... have always been an incredible fan of M... of the inspiration and creator and singer of the song". Why is that??? What happened? They even can´t say "Michael Jackson"?

crismjj;3827982 said:
Guys, have you noticed that none of the judges spoke Michael's name? If you watch the video, especially with Usher's comments, he says "I too... have always been an incredible fan of M... of the inspiration and creator and singer of the song". Why is that??? What happened? They even can´t say "Michael Jackson"?
Maybe they were just being sensitive to Judith feelings. because of what happened during rehearsals. She was worried she would be perceived as exploiting Michael as she was already getting negative comments saying she was using his name and her association with him (which she has not). I don't think they are ashamed or couldn't say his name. Usher is a huge fan. They may have just down played it a little for her sake. I wouldn't make to much of it.

crismjj;3827982 said:

I noticed that myself.
When Usher stopped himself from saying 'Michael Jackson' it seemed to me as though it was because he had been told not to say his name, rather than because he was saving her feelings or because he trailed off into something else. He started saying it and then deliberately stopped.
Now, I don't watch the US version of The Voice and so I don't know what their protocol is. Do the host and mentors normally say the artists names when their songs are used? Or do they always try to avoid saying the artists' names?

If they DO normally say the artist names then it seems very strange that Usher wouldn't say MJ, unless he was asked not to because of the current allegations. Somebody should tweet him to find out (I don't use Twitter)

^^ I really dont think that is the case here.
I think the reason was because of what I stated above about what happened directly related to Judith apprehensions in singing the song - and being perceived as exploiting Michael's NAME , not something outside happening or because of any false allegations. All the words they said honored MJ .. If that was the case they would not have allowed all the praises to him either, because the audience certainly knows who they are speaking about. Allegations are not going to stop a Music show from mentioning Michael's name because they are focused on the artistry and the artist. not his personal trials.

I think they were asked to play it down and not make it all about Michael because of Judiths concerns. mabey they were asked not to say Michael name but discuss Judith work and talent instead for her sake. (Allegations against MJ have never stopped music shows from mention Michael's name if a song was played or performed so why now? ) Usher even stated "I miss him so much" Michael is still being honored in the industry regardless of the false allegations. This show is no different IMO

http://youtu.be/tmM9wGiiTa0

I saw her performance on YouTube and wow, she was amazing. She's got quite a voice!! I bet Michael was smiling down at her from Heaven, he should be proud.

Hope phone votes are still strong because going by itunes, Judith could be in trouble. She's 2nd to last (out of the top 8 that performed last night)

Wish she hadn't chose a Justin Bieber song.

Yes, Judith Hill is amazingly talented. Kicking her off the "Voice" is an insult to real singers everywhere.

Back