Madonna and janet: Pop icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
both janet and madonna did innovate with pop music. Especially, janet did with pop and r&b. Janet's control album helped innovate a genre of music! :lol:

And both are up there with stevie, mj and prince. Hell, both are up there with stevie and mj on the most #1's list.
lmao!

Both Janet and Madonna did innovate with Pop music. Especially, Janet did with Pop and R&B. Janet's Control album helped innovate a genre of music! :lol:

and both are up there with Stevie, MJ and Prince. Hell, both are up there with Stevie and MJ on the most #1's list.

Janet is a legend..but Control was influenced by Prince's "Minneapolis Sound"..Rhythm Nation was also..

DirtyDianaMJ☆;2784129 said:
Janet is a legend..but Control was influenced by Prince's "Minneapolis Sound"..Rhythm Nation was also..

Janet's sound derived from the Minneapolis sound (pioneered by Prince). Janet, Jam & Lewis created the 'Jungle Beat', which wasn't Prince's creation. There's a difference.

Plus I wasn't talking about the Minneapolis sound, that isn't a genre. I was talking about New Jack Swing.

Teddy Riley was the pioneer of New Jack Swing, not Janet..sorry..

Last edited:
DirtyDianaMJ☆;2784134 said:
Teddy Riley was the pioneer of New Jack Swing, not Janet..sorry..

Sorry, you're wrong. Janet's Control album inspired the New Jack Swing genre. Specifically, Janet's song 'Nasty' inspired the genre.

I have. They debuted in 1988. Janet released Control in 1986.

of course that swing isn't exactly original.

i think that would be 'Baby Be Mine', sung by Michael Jackson. 1982. written by Rod Temperton. and if we want to get technical, MJ had the final say on that album. not quincy jones, who didn't want billie jean, and it's final long intro. but MJ was cool with baby be mine.

Last edited:
I have. They debuted in 1988. Janet released Control in 1986.

Nope..nice try..Read Wikipedia and look up New Jack Swing..it says that it started with Teddy Riley..Janet is NOWHERE to be seen!! Control is straight up influenced by Prince..due to his protegee's Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis (from The Time)..I listened to Control many times and there isn't a hint of New Jack Swing..you giving Janet too much credit!

of course that swing isn't exactly original.

i think that would be 'Baby Be Mine', sung by Michael Jackson. 1982.

How did I know you were going to mention MJ? Log off! :lol:

How did I know you were going to mention MJ? Log off! :lol:

well...i would log off, if i wasn't having so much fun with u and semantics. lol.

oh man...i'm sorry. MJ did get beat.

by MJ.

Heartbreak(this place) Hotel, with his brothers.

DirtyDianaMJ☆;2784159 said:
Nope..nice try..Read Wikipedia and look up New Jack Swing..it says that it started with Teddy Riley!! Control was straight up influenced by Prince..due to his protegee's Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis (from The Time)..I listened to Control many times and there isn't a hint of New Jack Swing..you giving Janet too much credit!

Once again, you're wrong and you need to calm down!

Guy debuted in 1988. Janet's Control album inspired the New Jack Swing genre. Since you want to play the Wikipedia again - R E A D:

Former members of Minneapolis music group "The Time", Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, created a new jack swing-like sound for Janet Jackson's third album Control. Jam and Lewis used similar influences with hip-hop drum beats with smoother R&B stylings in the production.

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis had their share of contributions to new jack swing. Janet Jackson had 7 top 5 singles off her 1989 Rhythm Nation album, which merged the Minneapolis sound with new jack swing.

once again, Janet released an album that innovated a genre.

well...i would log off, if i wasn't having so much fun with u and semantics. lol.

oh man...i'm sorry. MJ did get beat.

by MJ.

Heartbreak(this place) Hotel, with his brothers.

'Heartbreak Hotel' isn't NJS. MJ's only contribution to the New Jack Swing genre is by releasing the most successful New Jack Swing album to date. Which was produced partially by Teddy Riley.

Last edited by a moderator:
DirtyDianaMJ☆;2784170 said:
Well..it all comes from Prince..Janet aint do SHYT!!

YES! Get mad :hysterical:

Prince pioneered the Minneapolis sound. Which producer-duo Jam & Lewis used to create the 'Jungle Beat'. Which they later helped create a New Jack Swing sound. Then Janet released Control at 19 years old and influenced a WHOLE bunch artists :D

Bobby Brown was quoted saying he wanted to be the male equivalent to Janet.

Legend Janet :clapping:

Inspiring genres and artists at just the age of 19.

Both Janet and Madonna did innovate with Pop music. Especially, Janet did with Pop and R&B. Janet's Control album helped innovate a genre of music! :lol:

and both are up there with Stevie, MJ and Prince. Hell, both are up there with Stevie and MJ on the most #1's list.

I'm not even going to waste my time debating this with you because its obvious your not music conscience. I dont see how you could possibly put Madonna or even Janet in the same league as Stevie Wonder and Prince.....

What did Janet and Madonna innovate in POP music that was not going on before they hit the scene? How did the control album innovate anything? Were not talking about lists.. were talking musically intellectualy here. Lists and what the media has to say doesnt matter because generally there opinion is on popularity its never in proper perspective so I dont see what the point was in bringing that up.

Stop embarrassing yourself. 'Heartbreak Hotel' isn't NJS. MJ's only contribution to the New Jack Swing genre is by releasing the most successful New Jack Swing album to date. Which was produced partially by Teddy Riley.

well...your post is proof that you are not to be taken seriously, at all :lmao:

it's this place hotel 1980. that is njs. or swing any way you call it. adding an official title is not an issue.

you have officially embarrassed Janet, herself.

i know you have a desperate need to help Janet, but don't lose your objectivity about rhythm, in the process. lol.

Last edited:
YES! Get mad :hysterical:

Prince pioneered the Minneapolis sound. Which producer-duo Jam & Lewis used to create the 'Jungle Beat'. Which they later helped create a New Jack Swing sound. Then Janet released Control at 19 years old and influenced a WHOLE bunch artists :D

Bobby Brown was quoted saying he wanted to be the male equivalent to Janet.

Legend Janet :clapping:

Inspiring genres and artists at just the age of 19.

You can praise and worship Janet all you want to, but when it's all said and done, Janet isn't more influential than KING MICHAEL JOESEPH JACKSON!!!

Michael>Janet!! Get Mad!!

Michael is still shitting on Janet in the afterlife, just like he did when he was here!!

DirtyDianaMJ☆;2784183 said:
You can praise and worship Janet all you want to, but when it's all said and done, Janet isn't more influential than KING MICHAEL JOESEPH JACKSON!!!

Michael>Janet!! Get Mad!!

YESSS!!! Get mad! Punch the walls!! Queen Janet got you pressed! :hysterical:

well...your post is proof that you are not to be taken seriously, at all :lmao:

it's this place hotel 1980. that is njs. or swing any way you call it. adding an official title is not an issue.

you have officially embarrassed Janet, herself.

You've got to be joking? :mello:

Lets not get delusional. 'This Place Hotel' didn't inspire jack!

Can you provide any sources citing it as an influence on NJS? I bet not! Because 'This Place Hotel' is straight up R&B, hun. There's no syths, no drum machine - NADA! No hint of NJS at all.

YESSS!!! Get mad! Punch the walls!! Queen Janet got you pressed! :hysterical:

Well if Janet is the Queen, then why do you lurk on KING MJ's board all of the time?? You know what's up!! MJ is the KING and the GOAT..I love Janet, but she has nothing on MJ!! Simple as that!!

Also if Janet was the Queen, then why is she not recording anymore albums? Because she can't stop FLOPPING!!

You've got to be joking? :mello:

Lets not get delusional. 'This Place Hotel' didn't inspire jack!

Can you provide any sources citing it as an influence on NJS? I bet not! Because 'This Place Hotel' is straight up R&B, hun. There's no syths, no drum machine - NADA! No hint of NJS at all.

no. just the actual rhythm. u gotta take some music theory, hun. ur disqualifying all ur previous statements.

and njs is a product of R and B. swing is the sub genre. r and b is the genre. and u don't know what instrumentation was used in the Jacksons album. those sound effects didn't just come out of MJ's mouth. although his mouth started it. haha

Last edited:
I'm not even going to waste my time debating this with you because its obvious your not music conscience.

I love Miss Badu but *looks at your sig*

What did Janet and Madonna innovate in POP music that was not going on before they hit the scene? How did the control album innovate anything?

Are you serious? Can you tell me if any artists were making music like Janet before Janet? Was there an album like Control before Janet released it? What about Rhythm Nation 1814? No, no and no!

Madonna? her sound was basically derived from the likes of Cyndi Lauper and Blondie. But she definitely brought something new to Pop as far as themes and sound goes. She grew with each album too.

Were not talking about lists.. were talking musically intellectualy here.

Oh the irony!

Its spelled intellectually.

Lists and what the media has to say doesnt matter because generally there opinion is on popularity its never in proper perspective so I see what the point was in bringing that up.

So you were speaking subjectively. Gotcha!

FYI, an icon is basically an image, a brand - Both Janet and Madonna are definitely musical and pop icons.

a legend is someone who will be in the history books - Again, that's Janet and Madonna. Based off their accomplishments and influence alone.

DirtyDianaMJ☆;2784191 said:
Well if Janet is the Queen, then why do you lurk on KING MJ's board all of the time?? You know what's up!! MJ is the KING and the GOAT..I love Janet, but she has nothing on MJ!! Simple as that!!

Also if Janet was the Queen, then why is she not recording anymore albums? Because she can't stop FLOPPING!!

LMAO! I love MJ but you're pressed and I LOVE IT! :D

She's going to release an album after she's finished filming a few movies and it will be epic.

I feel sorry for some of you MJ fans... Some of you people have the music knowlege and music taste of a 3 year old and its not even worth debating...

LMAO! I love MJ but you're pressed and I LOVE IT! :D

She's going to release an album after she's finished filming a few movies and it will be epic.

I want you to know that I am not pressed by Janet and I am rooting for her..but facts are facts!!!! Deal with it!!

no. just the actual rhythm. u gotta take some music theory, hun. ur disqualifying all ur previous statements.

and njs is a product of R and B. swing is the sub genre. r and b is the genre. and u don't know what instrumentation was used in the Jacksons album. those sound effects didn't just come out of MJ's mouth. although his mouth started it. haha

So much fail in this post.... :sigh:

This is the instrumentation that was used in the making of 'This Place Hotel'

* Instrumentation:
o Greg Phillinganes: keyboards
o Tito Jackson: guitar
o David Williams: guitar
o Mike Sembello: guitar
o Paul Jackson, Jr.: guitar
o Nathan Watts: bass guitar
o Ollie Brown: drums
* Provided Scream: LaToya Jackson
o The Jacksons: percussion
o Paulinho da Costa: percussion

No where do I see a drum machine nor synths.

and you're wrong, 'Swing' is the basically the manipulation of the drum machine. You're just reaching for the sake of it.

DirtyDianaMJ☆;2784203 said:
I want you to know that I am not pressed by Janet and I am rooting for her..but facts are facts!!!! Deal with it!!

Right. I provided facts and you couldn't handle.

I feel sorry for some of you MJ fans... Some of you people have the music knowlege and music taste of a 3 year old and its not even worth debating...

:rolleyes:

You must be one of those self-righteous "natural" people that rock afros and think Neo-Soul is REAL music :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back