Michael Jackson don't sell so much in USA

Yes, you are alright, I just see the RIAA numbers for Michael Jackon, they just have counted his solo track, it's amazing because with just 7 albums, he is in the top, for his compilations, unlike the Eagles and Madonna who have their best success with their compilation albums and greatest hits, he don't do nothing for to promote them (see Thriller 25), the most strange, they don't have the numbers about his first solo albums of Motown and I know that Ben for example have a huge success (3 millions or something like that), the RIAA don't seem to do their homework.

In comparaison and for each albums, he do lot better that Madonna or Elton John, Invincible without promo do near the same sales numbers that Madonna with his 2000 album and lot better that the others since this days, and she have a huge promo for each of her albums.

See yourself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson_albums_discography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_albums_discography

Sorry everybody for my mistake, Michael is still one of the best sellers in USA, and that with just 7 albums, it's just incredible, and that without the Jacksons albums.

Wikipedia is not a very reliable source in the 1st place.

And Mike is huge in the USA.

MJ sold 60.5 million of his own albums, the Jackson 5's Motown sales were never accurately certified (as with all of the Motown artists pre-1980s). The Jacksons only did around six million between 1976 and 1984.

You have to think about it though... only ONE of his albums has done over 10 million (Thriller). Bad could be undercertified as could be Dangerous. Don't know about HIStory, Off the Wall or Invincible though but I say compared to other artists, MJ did GREAT in America. I mean is it really that "bad" that MJ did "just" 60 million? We know he did more than 100 million worldwide.

His legacy isn't even sales anyway.

HELLO!What about "Blood on the Dancefloor"?They say it's the biggest selling remix album in music history.

In the US, Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix was certified platinum in May 2000. The album debuted atop the UK album chart, by July 1997 it had sold 250,000 units in the UK and 445,000 units in Germany.It was certified Gold in Canada for a minimum of 50,000 shipments and 2x Gold in France for a minimum of 150,000 shipments.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_on_the_Dance_Floor:_HIStory_in_the_Mix#cite_note-cria-22 Worldwide sales stand at 6 million copies as of 2007, making it the best selling remix album ever released

Blood on the Dance Floor was certified 1X platinum but only did around 700-800K according to SoundScan.

I think J-Lo's remix album is the best-selling now.

MJ sold 60.5 million of his own albums, the Jackson 5's Motown sales were never accurately certified (as with all of the Motown artists pre-1980s). The Jacksons only did around six million between 1976 and 1984.

It's strange that the Jacksons don't sell so much, their albums are so great, specially Triumph and Destiny, do you know if there are reason for that ?

Wikipedia is garbage anyway.
Dunno about the USA but here in Canada ive been to 4 different HMV stores and the Thriller 25 CD is completly sold out, must be a no1 Xmas gift this year.According to one store manager Michael Jackson's Thriller 25 is selling like hotcakes, so im well pleased about that!!

i second that lol.

Well let me show you something....don't underestimate his power...

Top 20 selling artists of 2008 in the USA

Top 20 Artists of 2008 by Combined Sales of All Releases (in Millions of Units):
1. AC/DC 3.4
2. Lil Wayne 3.3
3. Taylor Swift 3.2
4. Coldplay 2.5
5. Metallica 2.3
6. Kid Rock 2.2
7. Jonas Brothers 2.1
8. Sugarland 1.9
9. Jack Johnson 1.8
10. Mariah Carey 1.7
11. T.I. 1.6
12. Nickelback 1.5
13. Beyonce 1.4
14. Kenny Chesney 1.4
15. Michael Jackson 1.4
16. Elvis Presley 1.4
17. Beatles 1.4
18. Josh Groban 1.3
19. Journey 1.3
20. Leona Lewis 1.3

Very very nice indeed!!

That says it all in my opinion!!

He hasn't released new material since 2001, yet he is the 15th best selling artist in the U.S. in 2008!!

He still sells a lot!!

remember to check the chart thread in the stickys. and thriller is the number 1 catalogue album of the year, in the u.s.a. number 1s is in that chart at ten. and that includes songs from Invincible.

Have you a proof about these numbers ? I'm really surprised that they do so low numbers; because they have a huge reputation in the music industry.

RIAA:
The Jacksons - Gold
Destiny - Platinum
Triumph - Platinum
Live! - Gold
Victory - 3X Platinum

Goin' Places and 2300 Jackson Street didn't do so hot on the charts and none of the Jackson 5's albums for MOTOWN have been certified despite the fact that they sold ten million US albums between 1969 and 1975.

You have to think about it though... only ONE of his albums has done over 10 million (Thriller). Bad could be undercertified as could be Dangerous. Don't know about HIStory, Off the Wall or Invincible though but I say compared to other artists, MJ did GREAT in America. I mean is it really that "bad" that MJ did "just" 60 million? We know he did more than 100 million worldwide.
last info said that bad hadnt been recertifyed in around 15 years and it was many years for all the other albums aswell.

Y'know what I think?I think this is bullcrap!Why can't a mod close this forum up,because it's jack crap that we are arguing about this damned thing.So what if Michael didn't sell much in the US?

Last edited by a moderator:
According to this page of Wikipedia and the RIAA, Michael Jackson don't have a huge success in USA, he sell well, but don't have the greatest success, Madonna, Mariah Carrey and Elton Jone have sold more albums that him !!!! I'm very surprise about that because in the same time he is one of the greatest seller in the world with more that 500 millions albums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_music_artists

The RIAA numbers are good (I have some doubt with Thriller) ? Michael Jackson have sold just 60,5 millions albums in his own country, but I don't know if they have included the Jacksons and Jackson 5 albums, what do you think about that ? I don't live in USA and I don't have any idea if, except Thriller, he have a good success in this country in solo or with his brothers, because I'm really surprised that Madonna, Mariah Carrey, Billie Joel and Elton John have sold more albums that him in the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_music_artists_in_the_United_States

What do you think about that ?

What do I think? Sales are an over-rated statistic, especially accumulative sales like that list, where some artists have an 'advantage' by releasing more albums. Music is subjective, you either like it or you don't, so it's irrelevant how many people buy an album. . . . I will say anyone who denies Mr. Jackson's staying power and iconic status is in denial.

ummmmm, I thought that we already came to the decision that he has come out with substantially less cd's than other big artists.....

but that hasn't really made much of a difference. he sold more with less, in the usa. and people in the usa do give a crap about him, cus every time he goes outside, here..u see the crowd reactions.

Yep, Michael has had fewer solo albums as an adult solo artist than most people. He's sold more with six than people sell by their fifteenth, lol. He's sold the most quantities of records here in America. He still has a lot of fans in America. He still gets some positive press in America. He's proud to be American though he's also a citizen of the world.

And uh, that's it. Oh and Sony can't afford to re-certify some albums for some odd reason.

ummmmm, I thought that we already came to the decision that he has come out with substantially less cd's than other big artists.....
exactly

well that's because USA knows shit about good music.

nuff said.

Not really.

Agree.
What about Marvin Gaye, James Brown etc., influential artists that made great music that barely sold much. Thats why sales don't mean ish and they really don't in reality. Its about the material and real music. Michael is successful in America regardless of how much the American press and Americano public folk stay on his nut, his still loved and of course through out the entire world.

lol hes does just great in the usa. 60.5 million is awesome. and that number hasnt been updated.

1 a lot of his albums need to be recertified because they haven't been since the 90's.

2 no that DOESN'T count sells with j5/the jacksons/early albums

3 it also doesn't count singles

4 for a guy with only 6 studio albums and some greatest hits albums that's not bad

but that hasn't really made much of a difference. he sold more with less, in the usa. and people in the usa do give a crap about him, cus every time he goes outside, here..u see the crowd reactions.

i agree

What about Marvin Gaye, James Brown etc., influential artists that made great music that barely sold much. Thats why sales don't mean ish and they really don't in reality. Its about the material and real music. Michael is successful in America regardless of how much the American press and American public folk stay on his nut, his still loved and of course through out the entire world.

Exactly. :clapping: :yes:

You can't trust anything posted on Wikapedia. Anyone can edit anything on that site. MJ has sold ok in the USA...in recent years, not so much obviously because all that has been released has been greatest hits releases, or Thriller re releases.

I've never understood why his US sales is such an issue. Up against most artists his sales is still very good, so why is there this constant drama over this?

Dont forget Thriller 25 was # 2 in the USA when released
that says alot about USA Fans ...

please dont make posts that disrespect the USA or its MJ fans
I am very offened when I see that :(

We are all ONE family of MJ no matter where we live
Dont forget where MJ lives and chooses to live
Heal the world :)

Back