Michael Jackson don't sell so much in USA

Please folks - no bashing the US (or any other countries for that matter) in this thread. Approach the subject respectfully or not at all.

Thank you in advance,
Raylo

I've never understood why his US sales is such an issue. Up against most artists his sales is still very good, so why is there this constant drama over this?

Yep!!! And for the most part, Michael is always going up against himself. The standards are really high for Michael because he as to top himself........... It's just like with the New York Yankees, they are always expected to win. Any other baseball team, the standards are so much lower. If that makes sense.:D

Exactly. :clapping: :yes:

Yes, also don't forget for what I have seen that the Jacksons have been certified in 1985 to have sold more that 100 millions records worldwide, it was the biggest success for a group just after the beatles in this time, for today I don't know, but I have read (wikipedia, but also in a book) that today The Jacksons have sold 150 millions albums in the world, 100 millions for the Jackson 5 and 50 millions for the Jacksons (according to International Federation of the Phonographic Industry).

For the Triumph album, it's really normal because in the early 80's, the music industry was in a big crisis, Quincy Jones have said to Michael that Thriller will don't have the same success that "Off the Wall".

But I'm sure that it's the old numbers of the RIAA (the first numbers) for the Jacksons album, for example Victory have sold in USA 3 millions albums in the 80's, it was very good because tha album it was not very well promoted in this time, Michael and Jermaine don't have promoted the album (they are not in the clip "torture" and "body"), and the Jacksons have been lot more focused in the Victory tour.

In comparaison Bad have sold just 4 millions albums in USA (with a huge publicity) according to TIME in 1988, but it's still very good in one year and today this album have done more that 8 millions in USA.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,966810,00.html

Last edited:
You know what, I never really got why it's so important that Michael sells the best in the US. It's very possible that local 'stars' from Belgium sold more albums then Michael in Belgium... but that's not important...
If I start selling ... I don't know... flowers in my little town. It's very possible that, after a while, Almost everyone knows me in my town because it's so small... But that's not special at all, I mean nothing to the world...
There's not one artist that sold as many albums around the world!! that's what counts for me.

I've never understood why his US sales is such an issue. Up against most artists his sales is still very good, so why is there this constant drama over this?

Agreed. I don't know why his sales here is such as issue. He's still selling better than most and that says a lot about him as an artist.

yeah, me either....I figure it's how many people bought your music....and there are totally people outside the US!!!

why is this a thread .when did this site turn into the olympics.why is this still in the news section and why is there no thread call why did invincible not sell that well in europe .i do not understand this.michael is the biggest musical star here ever. just this week he top elvis in year sales in the usa and he was billoards catologe#1 artist of the year for albums and #2 for artists on the usa charts.i do not see countrys or flags i just do not understand why everybody else seems to im just a mj fan.

Last edited:
Well..Michael Jackson is not any local superstar like Madonna or Elton John..He is international superstar and someone who is bigger than the word "Celebrity"..And last time i checked United States Of America is a country not the whole wide world..I dont care how much he sold in USA but I really do care how much he sold in whole wide world..So get over it you want Michael to be on top of everything which is not possible for anybody..

But if you feel good we had some kinda article in which they said when it comes to music Michael Jackson is still the biggest name despite of all the controversies..

Excuse me but let's not be blind. Madonna is a GLOBAL artist and is "bigger that the word Celebrity" as well. She just wrapped up the most sucessful tour ever by a solo artist. I LOVE MJ and defend him every chance I get but come on.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Monday, December 22, 2008

With the completion of Madonna's final show in Sao Paulo Brazil last evening - one of eleven record-breaking performances in South America - the 'Material Girl's' 'Sticky & Sweet' Tour reigns supreme by becoming the Number One Largest Grossing Tour in history by a solo artist, it was confirmed today by Live Nation, the tour's international producer. Her 58 shows in Europe, the US, Canada,
livenation. Mexico and South America played for a staggering 2,350,282 million fans and sold over (USD)280,000,000 in tickets. "Madonna has yet again demonstrated her true global appeal as a live performer whether in stadiums or arenas. Not only will this tour be the top selling tour of all time for a solo artist and a female artist (eclipsing her own record), but it will position her as one of the top selling touring artists of all time" said Arthur Fogel, Live Nation's Chairman of Global Music and CEO of Global Touring.

Along with record breaking ticket sales in South America with a total 650,000 tickets sold, the 'Sticky & Sweet' Tour sold 72,000 tickets at Zurich's Military Airfield Dubendorf - the largest audience ever assembled for a show in Switzerland. In London, where she performed in front of 74,000 fans with over 12 million dollars in ticket sales, Madonna surpassed all previous records at both the old and new Wembley Stadiums. In New York City, Madonna's four sell-outs at Madison Square Garden shows added up to a record breaking 23 sold out performances since 2001 at that venue - a record for most appearances for a single artist in this decade.

Madonna's multi Grammy-nominated CD "Hard Candy" debuted at number one early this year in over 37 countries.

Michael sells well in America. He is one of the best-selling artists in 2008.

1. AC / DC 3.4
2. Lil Wayne 3.3
3. Taylor Swift 3.2
4. Coldplay 2.5
5. Metallica 2.3
6. Kid Rock 2.2
7. Jonas Brothers 2.1
8. Sugar Land 1.9
9. Jack Johnson 1.8
10. Mariah Carey 1.7
11. T.I. 1.6
12. Nickelback 1.5
13. Beyonce 1.4
14. Kenny Chesney 1.4
15. Michael Jackson 1.4 !
16. Elvis Presley 1.4
17. Beatles 1.4
18. Josh Groban 1.3
19. Journey 1.3
20. Leona Lewis 1.3

I have another question, it's about Shania Twain, is she a huge star like Michael Jackson in the usa ? Because I'm really surprised that she have sold with the album "the woman in me" 12 millions (better that off the wall and Bad) and "with come on over" 20 millions in the USA, I don't find her specially talentuous (in the same style I prefer the Corrs) and I'm really surprised by her success, I would like to know her statut and if she is a huge star in the USA like Michael Jackson in the Thriller period or not.

Somebody know how many Thriller albums have been sold in the USA in 1985 ? I'm curious to know the old numbers.

Thank you for advance, and sorry for my question.

Last edited:
This is the stupidest thread I've ever read. Plenty of Americans still love Michael Jackson. He has a worldwide fanbase, and that includes a good percentage of the USA.

shania twain had a couple of big albums because she went mainstream with her music. other than that shes a country singer who fits into a certain demograpahic

shania twian was huge when she came out in her own right though. not all country stars get big like dolly parton. but you got garth, faith, and ofccourse thanks to american idol..country idols are mainstream..well almost. i wouldnt say shes huge like michael but everyone can put a face to her name. and shes all over the tabloids now.

on both links in the original post it says Michaels in the catagory of frank sinatra and beatles..and then the second one i think said he was number 17. so i dont get how everyone assumed he doesnt sell well in some of these posts.

but theres so much competition in america too..michael is not the only biggest celeb. you got madonna too. and frank sinatra beforre etc. and blah blah.

.i dont have a clue what its like overseas..but here in america we have alot of artists who are legends that are famous and famous overseas automatically..not only michael jackson. others sell alot as well in america and overseas.

and madonna was mentioned on the thread so i have to say she is not a local star. americans are famous everywhere. shes as big as michael is here in america. and worldwide. and america is his birthplace so thats why people care anyway particularly on america.

i dont count everything released by michael like some of you guys..but other artists have did amazing things too in america and continue to tour all the time at that..so they sell alot too. michael is still part of that crowd and always was though. but hes not the only only sitting on a throne in america. barbara streisand and tina turner also have amazing tours/concerts not only michael jackson. so others can sell alot and get ahead of michael. Michael doesnt have the most number one singles either. but it also depends on how much he puts out there too. but yes he sells in america..hes our boy.:D but we got alot of other artists here too who are huge so they sell and thats really all there is to say. he cant be number 1 or 2 all the time. too many other great artists as well. and it shouldnt be surprising!

This is the stupidest thread I've ever read. Plenty of Americans still love Michael Jackson. He has a worldwide fanbase, and that includes a good percentage of the USA.

I don't know, I don't live in USA, I have no idea if he still a huge star in this country or not, I already say I do a mistake with this numbers and I never say that he don't have a good fanbase in USA, it's not very smart for you to do this comment (specially because it's not the subject), and I'm sorry if you don't like this thread.

Thank you everybody for to reply my post, specially Marilyn Monroe and Elusive Shadow for to give explanation about Shania Twain and the music Industry in USA.

I actally like shaina twain song "that dont impres me much"
That was my fave song from hers :)

Lol all talk bout shania reminds of that time at the world music awards........y'all know which one im talkin' bout! :p

Back