Michael Jackson The Political Activist

It isn't. I've been a graphic designer for the best part of 12 years - if that's a coincidence than I'm George W Bush.

When I superimposed that MJ logo onto the panther image - I didn't skew one thing. Once I matched the ears - the space for the eyes, the line of the legs and the length of the tail all followed suit. If that's a coincidence I'd be amazed.

So...when are you going to start saying "Billie Jean" was in fact about the tennis player? I mean, the names match.....so.......

Was that even an official image? It's clearly photoshopped together from at least 4 different photos. I always thought it was fanmade.

it was made by the french guy from the "Black & White" magazine.
(he also did pictures for the HIStory CD booklet, the Stranger In Moscow
Single cover, the Ghosts cover & programm etc..)

it originally was a cover of one of the "Black & White" Issues.

it was made by the french guy from the "Black & White" magazine.
(he also did pictures for the HIStory CD booklet, the Stranger In Moscow
Single cover, the Ghosts cover & programm etc..)

it originally was a cover of one of the "Black & White" Issues.

Brilliant. So I imagine it was fully approved.

So...when are you going to start saying "Billie Jean" was in fact about the tennis player? I mean, the names match.....so.......

If the conversation's got a bit too cerebral for you, my apologies.

If the conversation's got a bit too cerebral for you, my apologies.
It was a serious question. There's a difference between pointing something out and taking things too far. You are taking things too far......in my HUMBLE opinion.

It was a serious question. There's a difference between pointing something out and taking things too far. You are taking things too far......in my HUMBLE opinion.

No. You were trying to be rude.

Do you think it's a coincidence that he morphs into a black panther at the end of the video?

Re: "Boy, is that girl with you?"

I'm telling you that they really need to do a class disecting MJ's lyrics. Often because his lyrics were simple and accompanied by a good beat, they are just glossed over and no one ever looks at them further.

Yes, he was very much underestimated...and often his lyrics sort of went under in all the gold pants glory...

It's great we have this kind of talking and thinking, great post and great answers too.
To be very, very honest, I was rised in a country and at a time when we had no racial issues, but a lot of policital problems/divisions/etc., so I admit I am rather ignorant to racial concerns and the milestones on the fight of black people for their rights. I thank you for the valuable information that sheds light into such a powerful lyrics. I had no idea about the use of the word "boy" and the meaning of the sheets.

I just can't understand how the media and other powers manageded to totally twist and turned MJ messages and hide them behind a wall of lies. The power of this system.... wowwww... The way they manage to blind our eyes if we give them the chance to. I am glad we DID have our eyes open to see Michael at the real artist he is.

Do you remember all that silly talking against Michael for TDCAU? Maaaan, that was so, so, sooooo wrong :no:

The thing is- Michael got it from ALL sides. He was born in the 50ies- a very different time even from the year 2010. The whole "boy" thing must have been very relevant for him. And many people to this day DON'T understand that it really doesn't matter if you're Black OR white. How else do you interpret the constant focus on the color of his skin, ALL HIS LIFE? Apparently most people didn't really get the message...

People didn't even stop with his children- some of the most disturbing things I've read so far were conclusions that he "wanted to be white" judging by the looks of his children. :doh: I guess Madonna and Angelina Jolie "hate" being "caucasian" if we were to follow that line of thought.

I guess he just couldn't please anyone. To some he wasn't "black enough", others considered him "too white".

Just think of the line "you hate your race, baby" in "Morphine". I've also read enough disturbing blogs that stated that mommy has to hide the Ebony issue with his photoshoot- because you know, mommy considers him the opposite of a strong, black role model- because her children supposedly ask why he "turned into a white woman".
Such commentary alone is so sad because stuff like that is so full of prejudice and just reinforced stereotypes of how to "be a man".

Michael had SO much on his plate throughout his life that I shudder to think how he dealt with it being scrutinized in the public eye.

Or think of the Prison Version of- TDCAU. Chock full of political statements. So full that it barely got played in the US, most on youtube seem to be from European TV stations- that's remarkable.

His life was basically politics. Being accused of "not being black enough", "to female", having married two white women- everybody found something wrong with him.

I appreciate that he simply spoke his mind on all fronts- and got it from everyone. Black&White, Superfly Sister, he didn't shy away from it either.

For someone who has been called "isolated" and sheltered, he sure seemed to have known what the issues are...

Indeed. The prison version of TDCAU is a political tour de force. Especially poignant he sings 'black man' and points to himself. DUDE!

Indeed. The prison version of TDCAU is a political tour de force. Especially poignant he sings 'black man' and points to himself. DUDE!

Well, Sneddon slipped and showed what the real issue was. Did he address Jay Leno with "boy"?
How he got away with that kind of abuse of public office shall forever remain a mystery- but then again there's a reason MJ shot the prison version of TDCAU. Plenty of burning crosses and sheets. I'm sure he collected his share of racism oriented hate.

It also doesn't get anymore political with "We've had enough". "men in blue...how is it that you get to chose who will live and who will die...if they're for peace why is there war".
He drove a TANK onto the stage and held a SUNFLOWER into the guys face. That wasn't even thinly veiled.

He might not have publicly subscribed to any particular leanings (and maybe it's a good thing he never forced himself into any encumbering allegiances- other than those of humanity on this planet maybe) but he sure was political. Only most people are so used to "politics" being spelled out to them in a certain brain dead fashion designed to kill interest and keep the masses at bay- that many never got it.

Last edited:
Only most people are so used to "politics" being spelled out to them in a certain brain dead fashion designed to kill interest and keep the masses at bay- that many never got it.

Beautiful. Michael Jackson, the subtle revolutionary.

As a great man once said, 'war is deception'.

Beautiful. Michael Jackson, the subtle revolutionary.

As a great man once said, 'war is deception'.

"They say I'm different
They don't understand
But there's a bigger problem
That's much more in demand
You got world hunger
Not enough to eat
So there's really no time
To be trippin' on me"

"Why you wanna trip on me"- political song.

Also thought that this was very interesting:

The Official Michael Jackson logo/The Black Panthers logo/Merged

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1678/mjblack.jpg

Interesting thought. For someone who had an Album Cover for of symbolism- it wouldn't surprise me.

But then again I also see something else in that logo and given his interest in symbolism and especially animal totems- I also see birds in that MJJ logo on the left. An owl for example. Or even a falcon- given his Egyptian interest there could be a reason to use highly symbolic animal totems, he clearly like to do that. We might never know...

"Remember The Time" was full of symbolism- so subtle that people wouldn't think twice about, after all, it was set in ancient Egypt...that was BRILLIANT. He started the video with the cat, the falcon, the snakes- he used ancient mythology- and got even criticized for the cast. I honestly most of what he did flew over people's heads. Like being criticized for a "Jesus Complex". Those folks just didn't understand that he knew Greek Drama and how to apply it on stage- check your angel floating from the ceiling in "Will you be there"....:agree:

Last edited:
I've always thought it was strange that nobody ever mentions the symbolism of the black panther at the end, this was a huge statement to make as they were a militant organisation yet it's seem to be ignored or did people just think he randomly turned into a panther for no reason. The graffiti that you refered to was actually only put in after there was complaints about the agressive behaviour at the end of the video, they were then added to explain to people why he was angry and smashing windows. If you listen to Why You Wanna Trip on Me also on the dangerous album you will realise it is also very political.

Many of the songs on History were political too like earth song and TDRCAU but outside of his music Michael actually never really involved himself in politics probably so as not to offend certain types of fans be it republicans or democrats, i actually was a little dissappionted that he didn't publicly denounce the invasion of Iraq, i just thought he gave so much to charities and cared so much about the world how can he not come out against the slaughter of innocent people.
Edit/Delete Message

Personally me and a few of my friends/family always felt Michael was a strong political Activist by expressing it through his video's and music something that "they" couldn't handle that's why he not here now because he spoke the truth out how African Americans are treated in the music industry and he spoke the truth about how all race are not treated kindly that't what he always express love he does everything with love from the heart this is one reason why I am so connected to his music I love hard even if i don't know a person what ever i can do to help people in need i do it that's how i was raised i can't stand all that racist garbage its pass 5000 years I wish people can just learn how to get along never know who going to be the one that save you from your last breathe. Just something to think about. That's why i love this forum you all keep it 100 (real) No Bullshit

As an african american who lives in the south and experienced rascism more than I should have this day in age, Michael's message has never been lost on me. That is why I was confused when people complained about the ending for black or white saying it was violent. Well.....when protest their dislike for other races it usually is violent. People ignored the racial slurs that he was destroying as a symbol of stoping the cycle of racism. I completely understood Michael the first time I heard "They Don't Really Care About Us." I couldn't but help but feel every word he was singing. His message is very deep but easy to grasp, his message has always been universal for all races, I can't understand why the message and the ablity to see him for who he is is missed by so many when it's right on the surface.

As an african american who lives in the south and experienced rascism more than I should have this day in age, Michael's message has never been lost on me. That is why I was confused when people complained about the ending for black or white saying it was violent. Well.....when protest their dislike for other races it usually is violent. People ignored the racial slurs that he was destroying as a symbol of stoping the cycle of racism. I completely understood Michael the first time I heard "They Don't Really Care About Us." I couldn't but help but feel every word he was singing. His message is very deep but easy to grasp, his message has always been universal for all races, I can't understand why the message and the ablity to see him for who he is is missed by so many when it's right on the surface.

Yeah, that's the thing right there. Change against the status quo rarely came because the a) the silent "ruling" majority said, "sure, we're being jerks, let's change things willingly" and b) NO civil rights just came by itself.
Civil rights of any kind had to be demanded and fought for. They never came "just so".

Of course Ghandi had a point- and Michael indeed admired him very much- but that came after thousands of years in human experience and development.
Even the "violence" in the Black or White video could have been a metaphor- for doing something ACTIVELY. Some people even understood "Beat it" as a call for "violence". :doh: It's not hard to see how some people might not have been able to see through the video of Black or White. You know, all that dirt being kicked in the eye....:yes:

Really interesting read. I have always found Michael's songs profound, meaningful and political. Jam is political too, most from Dangerous and HIStory are. He is a musical genuis and a beautiful who has done so much for this world.

Re the Black Panthers logo - I can see similarities between that and MJ's official logo - not saying that it definitely is the same but I see no wrong in making observations and thinking about what Michael's messages were, they are just observations that's all - nothing is strictly black or white.

Seen as this is going to be about Michael the political activist I'll post this here..

''Michael Jackson The Angry Black Man'':

[youtube]5OBUgE6EDFo[/youtube]

Anti -Racism Speech, Harlem NY. 2002.

Seen as this is going to be about Michael the political activist I'll post this here..

This is very important. There are many people that believe that Michael's sole motivation for giving this speech was in order to stir up his black fanbase into believing there was a racist conspiracy against him (which I'm sure there was).

The truth is, Michael was political YEARS before this speech. YEARS before it.

Fantastic speech.

Thanks for reminding us of this great and wonderful speech by Michael. :) That's something I'll never get tired of see and hear.

Many people in this world should hear these wonderful and wise words of Michael.

Michael spoke some truly wise words and I still can't even fathom how some people claim that Michael was ashamed of his race. He wasn't. As he said he was a 'proud black American.'

Very interesting thread! I never knew about the 'boy' part. I love how there is so much symbolism in his songs, in his short films and in his logo. Some of it jumps right out at you and some of it is more subtle, more subliminally.
I don't think it's a coincidence or far-fetched that his logo and the Black Panther logo bear some resemblance. With Michael Jackson there are no coincidences! He was a very smart and well-read man and he wanted his message to be heard, in whatever way possible. If you have an open heart and an open mind it's not easy to miss at all.

I love that speech! Thanks for posting that video! :heart:

Michael spoke some truly wise words and I still can't even fathom how some people claim that Michael was ashamed of his race. He wasn't. As he said he was a 'proud black American.'
have to agree with you again, all these trolls/haters and media people who have accused of being ashamed of his race, all my fellow black folks who accused him of selling out all of them should be ashamed of themselves.

As soon as Michael and the Jacksons realized the power of their gifts, their music, they began to use it for the better good.

Unbelievable observation someone pointed out to me. Absolutely unbelievable!

The first thing the black panther does as it leaves the face-morphing set, just before it goes downstairs and morphs into Michael Jackson, is to roar at a statue placed at the doorway of former American president and reknowned slave-owner, George Washington.

On Washington:

Naturalization Act of 1790

George Washington signed the Naturalization Act of 1790, which excluded non-white races from becoming naturalized citizens of the United States. This law established that "any Alien being a free white person, who shall have resided within the limits and under the jurisdiction of the United States for the term of two years, may be admitted to become a citizen" if "he is a person of good character." In 1795, the law was revised increasing the established residency to 5 years and included renunciation of "allegiance and fidelity" to their country of origin.[30] This law was passed in order to prohibit freed African Americans from gaining citizenship.

And on his slaves:

By the time Washington was 11 years old he inherited 10 slaves and 500 acres of land. Thereafter, slavery would be intermingled with Washington for the rest of his life. When he began managing the Mount Vernon plantation eleven years later, at the age of 22, he had a work force of about 36 slaves. With his marriage to Martha Custis in 1759, 20 of her slaves came to Mount Vernon. After their marriage, Washington purchased even more slaves. The slave population also increased because the slaves were marrying and raising their own families. By 1786, there were 216 active slaves on Mt. Vernon.[1] By 1799, when George Washington died, there were an estimated 316 slaves living on the estate.

Anyone want to tell me that that is a coincidence? That there is a statue of George Washington, randomly placed at the door that the black panther turns and growls at? Really? Really really???

Michael Jackson... I bow to your greatness.

The Sociopolitical Message in Black or White

http://www.mj-777.com/?p=3255, very enlightening article.

The Sociopolitical Message in Black or White

by Samar Habib

I’ve been online discussing ‘Black or White‘ with a few friends over the last few days and thought I’d post my observations here… a friend of mine opened my eyes to the significance of the opening verse and the rest just flowed from there. I can’t believe that the significance of the line “Boy, is that girl with you?” passed me by for 19 years. I’m a political animal but just didn’t see what that meant.

Michael Jackson, the biggest black luminary of all time chose to launch one of his most commercially successful albums with a song about racism that begins with the line “I took my baby on a Saturday bang. “Boy, is that girl with you?”. “Yes, we’re one and the same“.

That verse represents a conversation he’s having with a racist who is offended at the sight of a black man with a white girl. The word “boy” is a racial slur. A word that racists used in reference to their black slaves. It’s the word that alleged KKK member and alleged racist Tom Sneddon used when questioning black superstar Chris Tucker on the stand during Michael’s trial – “If you’re a good boy“. Would he refer to Russel Crowe like that? Who knows…

Later in the video Michael sings “I ain’t scared of no sheets” while bursting through imagery of a KKK meeting. The “sheets” being a reference to the Ku Klux Klan white sheet clothing.

The video ends with Michael destroying racist graffiti including the slogans “nigger go home“, “no more wetbacks“, swastika images and finally “KKK rules“. After he does that he morphs onto a black panther. A BLACK PANTHER!!!! Do you know who the Black Panthers are???

That, my friends, makes that song (and video) a HUGE political statement. It means that when Michael Jackson was the biggest star on the planet he had something very important to say. It means that Black or White is not JUST a fantastic pop record. It means it was also a political masterpiece. Lady Gaga can song “oh-la ooh-la-laaa“… Michael Jackson sings “I ain’t scared of no sheets“. Absolutely amazing.

Black or White was the biggest video premiere in the history of our planet. No artist before or since had the platform that Michael Jackson did. Michael chose THAT moment to launch THAT message. To me, he used to be the greatest. Now that my eyes have been opened he’s the double greatest!

Muhammad Ali has always been my hero – not just because he was the greatest heavyweight of all time. But because, when he had a platform, he had something important to say.

But this??? This is just incredible. It elevates Michael Jackson even higher, if possible, in my eyes. The man was a genius.

That opening verse comes from the same place as Sam Cooke’s verse in ‘A Change Is Gonna Come’ – THE civil rights record:

“I go to the movie and I go downtown…
Somebody keep tellin me ‘Don’t hang around”
- Sam Cooke, ‘A Change Is Gonna Come‘

It’s the same line, different era.

I’ve been blown away by this realisation. I’ve been a fan for almost 30 years and this has just blown me away. I thought the guy was great. I didn’t realise how great.

Michael Jackson, may God bless you.

-Samar Habib

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Below is a video that attempts to explain some of the messages inherent in the ‘Panther Dance’ portion of the Black or White video. As the media most often does, they completely missed or deliberately ignored the social and political messages in this piece in favor of other distractions – like his sexual dance moves or in favor of complaining about the violence. In focusing on that, they missed the message completely. It’s what they always do. Their particular brand of willful tunnel-vision is impeccable. Especially when it comes to Michael Jackson.

The anger expressed in the video is anger at racism, prejudice, and discrimination and it seems that would be obvious for anyone who isn’t sound asleep. It is not violence just for the heck of it, as the media with their constant barrage of disinformation assumed and proceeded to shape public opinion into believing. “We don’t understand it!“, they repeatedly said. What’s not to understand? I remember when this video came out and I was simultaneously disgusted and amused – not about Michael’s video – but rather with the lame$tream media’s collective sophomoric and willfully ignorant reaction to it. Good heavens. Pfft.

But then the media has made an entire industry out of negatively defining everything Michael Jackson is or does so it is typical that they would do the same with this video. Granted there was then, as there is even now with an African American president in the United States, violence in this country caused by issues of social classism in which racism is so deeply embedded (or vice-versa). However, looking for excuses to invalidate any attempt to bring attention to the issue so that we can summarily dismiss and ignore it not the answer. Except to the lame$team media, apparently. Thus, they are part of the problem as they are with many issues we face in the U.S. as a “Democracy” (or Democratic-Republic) and as a society.

Rather than make any attempt whatsoever to embrace or even understand the social and political messages in this video from the most prominent black entertainer and artist of our time, the predominantly white-owned lame$tream media summarily and self-righteously criticized and dismissed it, and the most significant piece (’the panther dance‘) was thusly removed from the remainder of the video in some distributions due to the controversy.

The entire ~11-minute film can still be viewed on YouTube and is available on his ‘Dangerous, The Short Films‘ DVD. In some versions, the graffiti Mr. Habib mentions above (’nigger go home‘, ‘KKK rules‘, etc.) was removed from the video. In my own opinion, this detracted from the effectiveness and intended message in the film, as did chopping off the last half of it – the ‘panther dance‘ portion.

Michael himself said this about the video in an interview:

I wanted to do a dance number [and] I told my sister Janet, I said, ‘You remind me of a black panther.’ I said, ‘Why you don’t do something where you transform into a black panther and you transform into yourself again?’ She said, ‘I like it,’ but she didn’t go with it,” he explained. “The two of us, we always think alike. So I did it. And in the dance, I said, ‘I want to do a dance number where I can let out my frustration about injustice and prejudice and racism and bigotry,’ and within the dance I became upset and let go. I think at the time people were concerned with the violent content of the piece, but it’s, like, easy to look at. It’s simple. -Michael Jackson

Whether the media and their Ignorami followers who suckle at the tit of their incessant and unintelligent decades-long ‘negative-definition-of-all-things-Michael-Jackson‘ campaign like it or not, now that he is gone from this Earth, this piece of art will remain an indelible and historical statement on the continuing issue of racism and inherent social classism in this country. There is nothing they can do about it as much as they would like to continue finding excuses to invalidate the issue and the incredible black man Michael Jackson along with it (not-so-ironically or coincidentally).

Here’s the entire Panther Dance sequence by itself:

Good article, Alex.

Questlove, in a BBC documentary about Michael's music, highlighted the panther issue symbolisation:

Re: The Sociopolitical Message in Black or White

http://www.mj-777.com/?p=3255... In some versions, the graffiti Mr. Habib mentions above (’nigger go home‘, ‘KKK rules‘, etc.) was removed from the video. In my own opinion, this detracted from the effectiveness and intended message in the film, ...

it wasnt REMOVED. the later version had it ADDED.
but some channels didnt have that version so kept
playing the original one without graffities.

good article otherwise!

Last edited:
Re: "Boy, is that girl with you?"

I've been online discussing 'Black or White' with a few friends over the last few days and thought I'd post my observations here... a friend of mine opened my eyes to the significance of the opening verse and the rest just flowed from there. I can't believe that the significance of the line "Boy, is that girl with you?" passed me by for 19 years. I'm a political animal but just didn't see what that meant.

Michael Jackson, the biggest black luminary of all time chose to launch one of his most commercially successful albums with a song about racism that begins with the line "I took my baby on a Saturday bang. "Boy, is that girl with you?". "Yes, we're one and the same".

That verse represents a conversation he's having with a racist who is offended at the sight of a black man with a white girl. The word "boy" is a racial slur. A word that racists used in reference to their black slaves. It's the word that alleged KKK member and alleged racist Tom Sneddon used when questioning black superstar Chris Tucker on the stand during Michael's trial - "If you're a good boy". Would he refer to Russel Crowe like that? Who knows...

Later in the video Michael sings "I ain't scared of no sheets" while bursting through imagery of a KKK meeting. The "sheets" being a reference to the Ku Klux Klan white sheet clothing.

The video ends with Michael destroying racist graffiti including the slogans "nigger go home", "no more wetbacks", swastika images and finally "KKK rules". After he does that he morphs onto a black panther. A BLACK PANTHER!!!! Do you know who the Black Panthers are???

That, my friends, makes that song (and video) a HUGE political statement. It means that when Michael Jackson was the biggest star on the planet he had something very important to say. It means that Black or White is not JUST a fantastic pop record. It means it was also a political masterpiece. Lady Gaga can song "oh-la ooh-la-laaa"... Michael Jackson sings "I ain't scared of no sheets". Absolutely amazing.

Black or White was the biggest video premiere in the history of our planet. No artist before or since had the platform that Michael Jackson did. Michael chose THAT moment to launch THAT message. To me, he used to be the greatest. Now that my eyes have been opened he's the double greatest!

Muhammad Ali has always been my hero - not just because he was the greatest heavyweight of all time. But because, when he had a platform, he had something important to say.

But this??? This is just incredible. It elevates Michael Jackson even higher, if possible, in my eyes. The man was a genius.

That opening verse comes from the same place as Sam Cooke's verse in 'A Change Is Gonna Come' - THE civil rights record:

"I go to the movie and I go downtown...
Somebody keep tellin me 'Don't hang around'.
Sam Cooke, "A Change Is Gonna Come'

It's the same line, different era.

I've been blown away by this realisation. I've been a fan for almost 30 years and this has just blown me away. I thought the guy was great. I didn't realise how great.

Michael Jackson, may God bless you.

OMG...I never got that video until you posted this!! Thank you! It dawned on me now - the meaning of him turning into a black panther!!

Back